Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 20, '17, 8:29 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Christian! Catholic! Disciple of Jesus of Nazareth!
Default Re: Specific questions regarding Jewish prayers

Also the fact that the edition of the Eighteen Benedictions (Tephilla) that is post destruction of the Temple (it seems we do not have any full texts of it prior to this edition) include those words against Christians that are part of the those prayers since the later part of the first century...so Christians who sought to pray the Eighteen Benedictions would be in part praying the prayers against the Christians as part of doing so....

(even if modern Jews give it different meaning and noting the above is not to set something between us and our elder brothers...much has been done to bring us closer to each other and there is love and respect between us ..but it is important to note that such is the case in terms of the text as it has come down from the alterations of the first century).

(Regarding the Shema see also the Liturgy of the Hours for Night prayer - Saturday).

Last edited by Bookcat; Jun 20, '17 at 8:48 am.
Old Jun 20, '17, 3:21 pm

Religion: Protestant

I personally see no problems with this. As a former Messianic, I've seen those prayers used in both Protestant and Jewish contexts. Both of them affirm two very big Catholic beliefs: the oneness of God and the desire to praise Him in all circumstances!
"‘Do you see this vessel—waterpot or whatever it may be? Can it be called by any other name than what it is?’ ‘No,’ he replied. ‘So also I cannot call myself by any other name than what I am—a Christian.’”

-St. Perpetua
Old Jun 20, '17, 6:04 pm

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by StGerardMajella View Post
The Jewish people pray from a prayer book called a "siddur". It contains the daily prayers said at morning, afternoon, and evening, as well as certain prayers said for certain life events (marriage, etc.) and daily activities (prayers before and after meals, etc.).

You can purchase a Jewish siddur in English and Hebrew. There are several versions depending on Jewish affiliation - Orthodox, Conservative, Reform, etc. Art Scroll publishing prints the Art Scroll Siddur, which is one of the most popular siddurs among the Orthodox. It comes in English with Hebrew, sometimes transliterated depending on which siddur you choose. (Note - Siddur should not be confused with the term "seder" referring to the Passover "seder" meal.)

I have privately read and prayed from an Orthodox Jewish siddur for many years and generally find very little to be objectionable. On rare occasion, you will find a rabbinic commentary to the prayers that are critical of the Church, but these are very rare. In fact, it has been very enriching to read these texts in that it has answered a lot of my questions about Catholicism, shedding light on areas I never understood. Most of the prayers in the siddur are from the Bible, with many verses are taken from the Psalms.

Interestingly, most of the prayers in the traditional Latin Mass have much in common with the Jewish siddur. You can actually find many, many similarities. Whether we realize it or not, most prayers said at Mass are actually Jewish prayers or derivations thereof.
This piqued my interest as I've never heard of Art Scroll....Koren Publishers is(was) the one Jewish publishing house that I'm aware of/read. Have you read a siddur by them or the Tanakh and how does it compare to Art Scroll, in terms of quality, commentary, text size etc. Any thoughts.
Old Jun 20, '17, 7:17 pm

Religion: Traditional Catholic

Quote:
This piqued my interest as I've never heard of Art Scroll....Koren Publishers is(was) the one Jewish publishing house that I'm aware of/read. Have you read a siddur by them or the Tanakh and how does it compare to Art Scroll, in terms of quality, commentary, text size etc. Any thoughts.
I have a copy of the Koren siddur, but have only skimmed through it.

I have several editions of Art Scroll publications. They carry dozens of commentaries, including full editions of the Babylonian and Jerusalem Talmuds with English translation, the complete Mishnah (oral Torah), and Midrash (biblical commentaries).

For myself as a Catholic unfamiliar with the Torah, I found Art Scroll's editions enormously helpful as they are written in very simple explanatory English with insightful commentaries. I've gained a great appreciation and respect for Judaism, Jewish scholarship in general, and a better understanding of the theological disputes between Christ and the Pharisees through this reading.

Stone Edition of the Chumash is a commentary on the first five books of the Bible from various rabbinic scholars.

Their full edition Tanach (i.e., full Hebrew Bible) is lighter in commentary, but again, you can actually purchase specific books in the Bible with extensive commentary.

I find Rashi's commentary on the Torah to be very particularly insightful.

Text size is very readable. You can purchase various siddur versions - large font, smaller pocket size, transliterated, interlinear, etc.
Old Jun 21, '17, 6:32 pm

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by StGerardMajella View Post
I have a copy of the Koren siddur, but have only skimmed through it.

I have several editions of Art Scroll publications. They carry dozens of commentaries, including full editions of the Babylonian and Jerusalem Talmuds with English translation, the complete Mishnah (oral Torah), and Midrash (biblical commentaries).

For myself as a Catholic unfamiliar with the Torah, I found Art Scroll's editions enormously helpful as they are written in very simple explanatory English with insightful commentaries. I've gained a great appreciation and respect for Judaism, Jewish scholarship in general, and a better understanding of the theological disputes between Christ and the Pharisees through this reading.

Stone Edition of the Chumash is a commentary on the first five books of the Bible from various rabbinic scholars.

Their full edition Tanach (i.e., full Hebrew Bible) is lighter in commentary, but again, you can actually purchase specific books in the Bible with extensive commentary.

I find Rashi's commentary on the Torah to be very particularly insightful.

Text size is very readable. You can purchase various siddur versions - large font, smaller pocket size, transliterated, interlinear, etc.
Thanks a lot for the info. I checked out Art Scroll's site and like the fact they mention the pages are opaque, also the sizes of the books appear to be quite large. Nothing worse the super thin pages/semi-transparent pages. Yeah its the commentary that I'd love to read, I mean I have several Bibles so therefore Old Testaments(Tanakh) in various translations NRSV, ESV etc....but would like to get some insight/commentary from Rashi and other Rabbi's on the text.

Thanks again.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions