Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 20, '17, 12:45 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Visiting people who don't live near a church

Some of my husbands extended family have moved recently and we are planning to spend some weekends with them. However they don't live near Catholic Churches and I am not sure what to do to be honest. I don't see how I am going to be able to spend half the Sunday travelling to a mass when we are only there for a weekend and I am worried about causing trouble. Has anyone else been in this situation?
Old Apr 20, '17, 1:06 pm
Prayer Warrior

Default Re: Visiting people who don't live near a church

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConfusedLucy View Post
Some of my husbands extended family have moved recently and we are planning to spend some weekends with them. However they don't live near Catholic Churches and I am not sure what to do to be honest. I don't see how I am going to be able to spend half the Sunday travelling to a mass when we are only there for a weekend and I am worried about causing trouble. Has anyone else been in this situation?
You could ask your priest for a dispensation when you travel.

Another alternative we've used is to come home in time for the "last chance" Sunday evening Mass in our area.
Old Apr 20, '17, 1:09 pm

Religion: Finally Catholic! (Vigil '16)

I would think that you would be ok to miss mass, seeing as how it's a certain ways away from where you are but I would consult with your priest about getting a dispensation/his opinion.
Old Apr 20, '17, 2:06 pm
Veteran Member
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbysmom View Post
I would think that you would be ok to miss mass, seeing as how it's a certain ways away from where you are but I would consult with your priest about getting a dispensation/his opinion.
It's only permitted to miss if you are very ill, have zero transportation or rely on others for rides. (like if she were a teen or something).
The priest can give her a dispensation. He's the one she needs to consult.

Music is the only art of heaven on earth...
and the only art of earth that we take to heaven.
Old Apr 20, '17, 2:51 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianistclare View Post
It's only permitted to miss if you are very ill, have zero transportation or rely on others for rides. (like if she were a teen or something).
The priest can give her a dispensation. He's the one she needs to consult.
There are other reasons to miss Mass as well.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."
CS Lewis–God in the Dock, 1948

Old Apr 20, '17, 2:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by St Francis View Post
There are other reasons to miss Mass as well.

True

The priest gave us dispensation to miss mass when road conditions become dangerous due to winter or ice storms, when roads are closed due to the danger.
Old Apr 21, '17, 7:12 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcelle View Post
True

The priest gave us dispensation to miss mass when road conditions become dangerous due to winter or ice storms, when roads are closed due to the danger.
I wouldn't even bother to wait for/ask for a dispensation in those cases. It's simply prudential judgement to not risk your own life or that of others by being on the road in bad weather. Of course the definition of "bad" varies from place to place. A storm that dumps 6 inches of snow in Quebec where I live won't have the same impact as it would say in Atlanta. We're used to winter driving and all our cars are equipped with snow tires by law, in winter. But a mega storm like we had in March (which was on a weekday though), which dumped 30 inches in less than two days, is another matter, and for me anyway, ice is always a no-go.

That said regarding travel, you don't need a dispensation to travel to an area where Mass isn't available or if in transit in places (like airports, train stations) where Mass isn't available. Again prudential judgement is required. We must do our best to recognize the special character of Sunday as a day devoted to God; when traveling I do that with the Liturgy of the Hours which I pray every day.

Circumstances for a dispensation are those where you can reasonably attend Mass, but have some other event or reason to miss it. One example in my case was when I was in a fundraiser bike ride for a cancer charity. It was a two day ride (Saturday and Sunday) from Montreal to Quebec City, about 145 km per day (90 miles). I asked for and received a dispensation to participate.
Old Apr 21, '17, 7:21 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by OraLabora View Post
I wouldn't even bother to wait for/ask for a dispensation in those cases. It's simply prudential judgement to not risk your own life or that of others by being on the road in bad weather. Of course the definition of "bad" varies from place to place. A storm that dumps 6 inches of snow in Quebec where I live won't have the same impact as it would say in Atlanta. We're used to winter driving and all our cars are equipped with snow tires by law, in winter. But a mega storm like we had in March (which was on a weekday though), which dumped 30 inches in less than two days, is another matter, and for me anyway, ice is always a no-go.

That said regarding travel, you don't need a dispensation to travel to an area where Mass isn't available or if in transit in places (like airports, train stations) where Mass isn't available. Again prudential judgement is required. We must do our best to recognize the special character of Sunday as a day devoted to God; when traveling I do that with the Liturgy of the Hours which I pray every day.

Circumstances for a dispensation are those where you can reasonably attend Mass, but have some other event or reason to miss it. One example in my case was when I was in a fundraiser bike ride for a cancer charity. It was a two day ride (Saturday and Sunday) from Montreal to Quebec City, about 145 km per day (90 miles). I asked for and received a dispensation to participate.
Oh, that explains why the priest told me I needed to get a dispensation one week looked at me funny when I asked him for one the following week! Different circumstances...

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience."
CS Lewis–God in the Dock, 1948

Old Apr 21, '17, 11:37 am

Thanks for your replies everyone as this is a tricky situation even though its only occasional weekends. I've never had this situation before, I've lived in several places and have just taken for granted that all towns have Catholic churches. It really puts the situation with the proposed parish mergers in my diocese into perspective as even if we lost out to the other parish it would still be a local church.
Old Apr 21, '17, 6:46 pm

As you have given few details, it is hard to give much of an answer other than "speak to your pastor".

While I am technically in a parish about a mile from my house, I was a member of a parish which is now just under 34 miles away and about a 40 to 45 minute drive (mostly freeway). I can get up a t 6 a.m., shower and dress and be at the 8 a.m. Mass without looking in my mirror for the state police. Mass over at 9, if necessary, I can be back at my house before 10 a.m.

Obviously not all circumstances match mine. I have no idea where your in laws live, nor where then nearest parish is, nor what Mass times they have. I am well aware that when one goes out to the country, a parish might have one Mass and not early.

Speak with your pastor.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments