Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Concierge Desk > Help! How does CAF work?

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jan 26, '17, 3:39 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Byzantine Catholic ☦
Default Re: NOTICE: Ask an Apologist Section Closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by po18guy View Post
I, for one, would love to see an "Interested in Catholicism" forum, for those who are genuinely seeking. Defending the faith on YouTube is for masochists.
I like this idea, but I think the key word is "genuinely".

http://www.shrineofstjude.org/site/P...e=ssj_homepage

Please support the cause for the Beatification and Canonization of Rhoda Wise:

http://rhodawise.com/
Old Jan 26, '17, 5:01 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: NOTICE: Ask and Apologist Section of Forums Closing

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomuser View Post
It's too bad that many of the responses are/were basically knee-jerk "keyword" responses -- "the following links should answer your question" -- when in actuality, those provided links don't answer the question that was asked at all. I don't see how difficult it would be to simply READ the entire question BEFORE immediately assuming the "keyword" links will be applicable to the question being asked. It waste's everyone's time (CA's, the person asking, the person reading the forum) when you defer to knee-jerk "keywords."
While I probably wouldn't have phrased it quite this way, I agree with the sentiment. It got to the point where I'd skip the question and answer if the answer was simply a "the following links should answer your question" reply.
Old Jan 27, '17, 5:56 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by gracepoole View Post
While I probably wouldn't have phrased it quite this way, I agree with the sentiment. It got to the point where I'd skip the question and answer if the answer was simply a "the following links should answer your question" reply.
That is basically my reaction too. In essence I don't even read most questions if they were answered by a docent. I appreciate the work they do, but in many cases a person would have to synthesis an answer from 3 or 4 semi-related sources that might only tangentially bear on their question.

I've always thought that it would be nice for those questions to have an intelligent search using natural language processing or a weighted tokenization strategy. A person that posts a question that only gets links back would be better served by getting the info back quickly rather than waiting a few days.

I'm thinking something like:
  • "Please post your question"
  • Process/Tokenize question
  • search archive
  • present links
  • ask poster if the links answered their question
  • if not have them clarify their question
  • forward to an apologist
At least that would be how I would go after the problem if it showed up on my desk. It would hopefully keep the Ask an Apologist section "cleaner" with responses always containing answers that directly address the question.
Old Jan 27, '17, 1:29 pm
Director of External Activities

I wanted to take a moment to address the folks who have mentioned what we call "docent answers." By that, we mean the answers in the Ask an Apologist forum where only links were provided.

The reason that was done is because we had a serious back-log of questions. The docents would do their best to find related material on our web site so that our apologists didn't have to answer common questions for the zillionth time.

But now that we have moved the Q&A over to catholic.com, we are able to show people related content that they can preview first before submitting their question. If nothing comes up in the search, then you will be prompted to submit your question.

On the back end, the apologists will also see the related search results based on keywords in your questions. If they think it has already been answered, then they can respond by letting you know that an answer to your question already exists.

In the very near future, we will even have the ability to email the answer to your question directly instead of you having to come here everyday to check and see if we got to you.

Give us a few more months to work out the bugs. I think you folks will be impressed with the results.
Old Jan 27, '17, 11:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshix View Post
...The only issue I have had is with links which were given that lead to a 404 page. That could be frustrating at times.
For sure. Many of the "answer" links are dead links! Accordingly, I gave up reading this segment of the forum.

Love ya all, but please proof-read and proof-CLICK your answers, C.A. guys! (It's a waste of your time if you don't?!)
Old Jan 28, '17, 8:09 am

I look forward to the new ASK AN APOLOGIST format. This forum has been my go-to ever since I became aware of Catholic Answers and Catholic.com. It's nice to know that we'll no longer have to deal with the links that lead to nowhere. This is one of the best resources on the net for Catholics and those who want to be Catholic, as well as those who are merely curious. Now, its only gonna get better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Sorensen View Post
I wanted to take a moment to address the folks who have mentioned what we call "docent answers." By that, we mean the answers in the Ask an Apologist forum where only links were provided.

The reason that was done is because we had a serious back-log of questions. The docents would do their best to find related material on our web site so that our apologists didn't have to answer common questions for the zillionth time.

But now that we have moved the Q&A over to catholic.com, we are able to show people related content that they can preview first before submitting their question. If nothing comes up in the search, then you will be prompted to submit your question.

On the back end, the apologists will also see the related search results based on keywords in your questions. If they think it has already been answered, then they can respond by letting you know that an answer to your question already exists.

In the very near future, we will even have the ability to email the answer to your question directly instead of you having to come here everyday to check and see if we got to you.

Give us a few more months to work out the bugs. I think you folks will be impressed with the results.
Old Jan 28, '17, 9:29 am
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
And sorry for the error in the thread title. I post in haste.

-Jon S
Well that answers my question if you can change the title of your thread once you have already posted.

"But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us."

Cracked pot?
You are God's beloved
Old Jan 28, '17, 10:05 am
Veteran Member
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherman carl View Post
Well that answers my question if you can change the title of your thread once you have already posted.
Heh. Actually, you CAN edit the thread title. All you have to do is edit your post #1 and change the "title" section in the edit dialogue.
Old Jan 29, '17, 6:05 pm

Quote:

Looking forward to the changes.
Old Jan 31, '17, 9:48 pm

Quote:

Glad to see this explained. I always figured that was the issue. Answering everyone's questions requires time and money, and CA depends on donations, which can't be asy to get.
"Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me." -- Psalm 51:12
cimachol.wordpress.com
Old Feb 8, '17, 5:54 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Katoliko

Can we use our usernames and passwords from this forum to sign in at Catholic.com?

Domine Iesu Christe, Fili Dei, miserere mei, peccatoris.

Fratres, orare pro me peccatore.
Old Feb 8, '17, 8:18 pm
Veteran Member
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by choliks View Post
Can we use our usernames and passwords from this forum to sign in at Catholic.com?
If you mean to post comments, such as on the blog posts, the answer is no. Catholic Answers wants a little less anonymity there.
Old Feb 9, '17, 3:08 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Katoliko

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshix View Post
If you mean to post comments, such as on the blog posts, the answer is no. Catholic Answers wants a little less anonymity there.
I wanted to post a question at the Q&A, but it required signing in.

Domine Iesu Christe, Fili Dei, miserere mei, peccatoris.

Fratres, orare pro me peccatore.
Old Feb 10, '17, 1:24 pm
Forum Master
Prayer Warrior

AAA had too many broken links.
Old Feb 15, '17, 9:12 am

Seems like the Forum itself is less visible from the main page at a time where Catholics need to speak up to defend our beliefs.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Concierge Desk > Help! How does CAF work?