Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Faith and Finances: 2014

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jul 20, '13, 11:06 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Fundraising Ideas for Small Parish

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakasaki View Post
Hi there House Arrest:

Why not - our local fire department is having a fund raiser next month in August.

They are offering burgers - hot dogs - salad - soda, beer & wine - corn on the cob for $50 per person - $25 for under 21.

I'm giving the public tons more.
It's great you can be successful charging that. I just can't imagine. We just wouldn't attract a lot of people at that price.
Old Jul 20, '13, 11:55 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakasaki View Post
I never said I live in NYC.

You live in proximity to NYC in an affluent area that is atypical. You just do not realize this it seems.

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Old Jul 20, '13, 12:23 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ke View Post
You live in proximity to NYC in an affluent area that is atypical. You just do not realize this it seems.
True; people earning $300 a week are not going to pay $50.00 for a night out at the Parish Hall.

Actually I would recommend that the entry fee be "by donation" - some people will give a lot more than $50.00, and those who would not have come at $50.00 will throw in five or ten bucks, and since all the food and supplies are donated, that's five or ten bucks more than you would have had.

Tiber Swim Team - Class of 2001
Old Jul 29, '13, 12:31 pm
Observing Member

Thank you everyone for your replies! I got some great ideas and I will definitely be adding some of them to our calendar.

So far we've had a yard sale, which raised $1500 and an outdoor movie night which raised $70.

The hard part (from what I have seen and others have warned) is getting people to come out to these events. I have posted notices in the local newspapers, had an ad on the radio, had notices in bulletins of other parishes in the area, had posters everywhere around town, had a street team go talk to people the day of the events and had local restaurants handing flyers out to everyone. We also released a newsletter promoting the parish and event. We got about 30 people show up which is just not enough.

I can plan the events but if no one shows up we may end up losing money to cover our costs. Does anyone have any idea on how to get the community to attend these events?

Thanks!
Old Jul 29, '13, 1:24 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justine715 View Post
Does anyone have any idea on how to get the community to attend these events?
Let me reiterate, you cannot support a parish on fundraisers.

Fundraisers are a periodic method of supporting speicifc endeavors such as a building fund, a youth mission trip, or charitable causes. Fundraisers should be broad based and be focused on parishioner involvement through committees, not a "position" at the parish.

Fundraisers are successful when they are ground up, not top down.

Your parish needs to develop stewardship as the central focus of parish life. Contact your diocesan stewardship office and have them come present to your pastor, parish & finance councils.

ke's universal disclaimer: In my posts, when I post about marriage, canon law, or sacraments I am talking about Latin Rite only, not the Orthodox and Eastern Rites. These are exceptions that confuse the issue and I am not talking about those.
Old Jul 29, '13, 1:33 pm
Observing Member

Quote:
While fundraisers can be good for a parish to fund a special project or goal, build community and involvement, and invite the community at large to your parish: you cannot run a parish long term on fundraisers.

I would really encourage you to reach out to your stewardship office at the diocese. You really need to bring stewardship of time, talent, and treasure into the forefront in your parish. There should not be a "fundraiser" position at your parish, there should be a stable Finance Counsel who works with the pastor on these matters and a Pastoral Counsel who works with the stewardship office on bringing stewardship to your parish.
Quote:
Let me reiterate, you cannot support a parish on fundraisers.

Fundraisers are a periodic method of supporting speicifc endeavors such as a building fund, a youth mission trip, or charitable causes. Fundraisers should be broad based and be focused on parishioner involvement through committees, not a "position" at the parish.

Fundraisers are successful when they are ground up, not top down.

Your parish needs to develop stewardship as the central focus of parish life. Contact your diocesan stewardship office and have them come present to your pastor, parish & finance councils.
How does stewardship work, I went on the website for it for our archdiocese but there's basically a picture of the priest in charge, a contact and some links to other website. I have a meeting with the financial and parish council tomorrow. The more information I have the better. The core group at this parish is very close-knit and opposed to new ideas so if I can lay it all out for them, it makes it easier. Thank you!
Old Jul 29, '13, 3:11 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
How does stewardship work, I went on the website for it for our archdiocese but there's basically a picture of the priest in charge, a contact and some links to other website. I have a meeting with the financial and parish council tomorrow. The more information I have the better. The core group at this parish is very close-knit and opposed to new ideas so if I can lay it all out for them, it makes it easier. Thank you!
Here is the overarching document on Stewardship from the USCCB:

http://old.usccb.org/stewardship/disciplesresponse.pdf

I don't know which diocese you are part of, but you should be able to find a contact person under the Stewardship or Development office at your diocese. Call that person and talk to them, ask if they have a presentation they can come do with your parish and finance councils on stewardship of time, talent and treasure and how to begin the stewardship way of life in your parish. Perhaps your diocese does not have their resources online.

The Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston has excellent stewardship information and resources online including links to high quality stewardship information at other websites.

http://www.archgh.org/about/Development/Stewardship/

Old Aug 4, '13, 4:01 pm
Prayer Warrior

I was the Director of Youth Ministry in a small parish for a decade and some of my most successful fundraisers were these:

1. Parish Raffle- now I'm talking BIG stuff. our local car dealership donated a car, we had things like plane tickets and a couple's night in a B&B, etc. tickets were I THINK $25.00 each. we also did a few smaller ones with anything we could get donated by local business owners. with the big one we made over $20,000. with the smaller ones we would clear $3-5,000.

2.Gatsby night- for $100 per couple you feed them a catered dinner, have gambling tables, live music for dancing, bar, etc. you can really do this for pretty cheap if you watch your catering, music and drink costs, and in small parishes, it's HUGE...of course there are licensing issues in each state but if you start early it's not too hard. can make $5-8,000 at the event.

3. Summer/fall BBQ chicken sales, takeout only, find local men who love to bbq, a dinner of 1/2 chicken, beans, cole slaw, bread for $8.00. great profit if you can find a local packing house to give you a steal on the chicken

4. brat burn- same idea as above, brat, chips, cookie, pasta salad for $7.00

5. middle school dances- kids generally love them, you can do them in a parish hall or gym, find a parishioner to DJ for cheap and you can make over $1000 if you have good interest. recruit LOTS of dads for security/safety patrol!

6. a really COOL sale I LOVED to do was from a place called SawTooth Ministries. they make hand cut, homemade wood crucifixes, rosaries, etc. you give them an estimated size of your parish, they send you bulletin inserts and posters to advertise a few weeks ahead. then they send you an estimated amount of stuff to sell based on your parish size. you make a great profit, and I've done it 4 times and NEVER had anything left to send back...

7. soup supper- find some parish elder ladies who have FAMOUS soup recipes- ie; chili, bean soup, etc. AYCE soup, bread, dessert, drink for $5.00 per person. HUGE in fall on a cold day

8. Little Caesars pizza kit sales. easy, quick, good profit. everyone likes pizza

9. Pastor Dinner contest- sell tickets for $5.00 each, buy as many as you like, draw one winner per month and the priest cooks dinner for that person/couple during that month. this one is fun!

feel free to PM me for lots more ideas. good luck!
Old Aug 5, '13, 12:35 pm

Focus on one, really good parish festival. Do it right, have a good theme. Include things such as a raffle, auction, lots of good food, games for kids, etc. Lots of parishes make up the difference between collections and operating costs with one, very well done, fundraiser.
Old Aug 21, '13, 8:41 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman catholic

Quote:
While fundraisers can be good for a parish to fund a special project or goal, build community and involvement, and invite the community at large to your parish: you cannot run a parish long term on fundraisers.

I would really encourage you to reach out to your stewardship office at the diocese. You really need to bring stewardship of time, talent, and treasure into the forefront in your parish. There should not be a "fundraiser" position at your parish, there should be a stable Finance Counsel who works with the pastor on these matters and a Pastoral Counsel who works with the stewardship office on bringing stewardship to your parish.
I'm just sharing my story on fundraising and stewardship on how it influenced our village:
I grew up in a small village in the southeast wherein people's means of livelihood is crops and fishing. Our chapel was built during Second World War I guess but has not improved not until about 15-20 years ago. My mom was a widowed teacher and formed our village first professional organization, " I was the 1st Registered nurse, my 2nd cousin was the first MD, to make the story short, there were 10 professionals. Every year my mom writes a letter to request donations to all the professionals to give back to the church. I was born and raised catholic and believes in generosity and tithings. We were able to accomplish renovating the church. Please note that because of what we have started back then and letting the people informed every Sunday about being generous etc, people in the community got involved, they volunteer, and even in their lowest they still give to the church. From the act of generosity our small village chapel has been given the privilege to have Sunday masses. After the mass our family sponsors the breakfast for the priest. We still do fund raiser but only yearly, the community itself able to support the needs of the chapel and give a portion of Sunday collection to the big church. Recently, our yearly tradition of celebrating San Roque feast day was celebrated by the Bishop. It is God glory that I can say our chapel is the best chapel in the entire province which has also served as inspiration to other villages.
Our village now have been blessed with a lot of professionals working locally and abroad
Our chapel has a president, secretary, treasurer that reports to the main office of the church.
Old Aug 27, '13, 5:44 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Part of the problem I see is that you do not have a base of ongoing donations from the parish to keep things going. Quite often, most churches use fund raisers for capital improvements. Endless fundraising for the parish's day to day operating expenses is not a long term solution. You keep going to the same well over and over again hoping there is more water in it when there isn't. Eventually, the parishioners are going to suffer from fund raising burnout.

You need to have the books looked at competently and see if expenses can be lowered to where the weekly collections can meet the day to day operations. If this is a newer parish, there is hope that the collections will go up by bringing in more parishioners. If it is an older parish, it may be in the same financial spiral many are in the northeast. If this is a newer church are parishioners going to a different church because they are not aware of the parish boundaries? If the church is using rented space, is there a parishioner that has some space he could give for the use of the church?

Have you figured out the average each parishioner gives and spelled it out to them? "We need $xx to run the parish each week. We are taking in $xx. This amounts to $xx/parishioner. We need $xx more to stay afloat otherwise the consequence might be...closing, become a mission church, etc." Asking for an additional $10 or $15 / week now is easier to swallow than asking each family for $1000 in a year to stay afloat.
Old Aug 29, '13, 1:40 pm

Religion: catholic

Does your town have a religious goods store? Could your parish support one staffed by volunteers?

You could do a book/religious goods fair. I did several of these to test the waters, before opening a little store for my parish. If you do it just before Thanksgiving, you can get the pre-Christmas shoppers, and include ornaments.

Vendors give a 30-50% discount, and most of them will allow you to ship back what you don't sell.

Also, for a few years, I sold wreaths at the Sunday Masses, for a tidy profit, for the weekends between THanksgiving and Christmas. Bought blank wreaths for cheap from the grocery store (cheaper than florist, and fresh), and bought decorations in bulk from Michaels. Several ladies would gather on Saturday mornings to decorate the wreaths. Each wreath cost $10-15 to make and we sold for $40-60 each.
Old Aug 29, '13, 1:58 pm

Religion: catholic

If there is a large ethnic portion in the parish, how about an ethnic fest? A local GO has a Greek fest starting the first friday in October with tours of the Church, the selling of Greek food (mostly cookies, candy, and bread), and having their gift and book shops open.
Old Aug 29, '13, 11:18 pm
Banned

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Try an auction. Got to surrounding parishes and get their bulletins. Look on the back at the sponsors. Hit up the sponsors to donate items to auction off. Canvass businesses in the area. People will donate if you ask them - but not all. Also, I agree that it might be hard to finance a parish with only fundraising - you might need to discuss this with the archdiocese.

Ishii

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Faith and Finances: 2014