Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Eastern Catholicism
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #1  
Old Apr 12, '17, 4:13 pm
mark a mark a is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: June 12, 2004
Posts: 7,256
Religion: Gratefully Catholic, Roman Rite
Default Orthodox and Maronites

Are any of the Orthodox in communion w/ Maronites?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old Apr 12, '17, 4:16 pm
Mongo Mongo is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 3, 2005
Posts: 380
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Orthodox and Maronites

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark a View Post
Are any of the Orthodox in communion w/ Maronites?
No. Maronites are Catholic, and therefore aren't in communion with the Orthodox. Nor is there a corresponding Orthodox Maronite Church. Why do you ask?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old Apr 13, '17, 4:28 pm
MysticalSelah's Avatar
MysticalSelah MysticalSelah is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: January 14, 2009
Posts: 44
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Orthodox and Maronites

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark a View Post
Are any of the Orthodox in communion w/ Maronites?
Are you asking if there is an Orthodox equivalent to the Maronite Church?
__________________
https://bloggerifficcatholic.blogspot.com/

God is Love
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old Apr 14, '17, 10:44 pm
jimkhong jimkhong is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: August 15, 2013
Posts: 906
Religion: Asian Catholic, Latin Rite in communion with Rome
Default Re: Orthodox and Maronites

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark a View Post
Are any of the Orthodox in communion w/ Maronites?
No there isn't any
__________________
On a ministry to help parishes set up or improve their Liturgy of the Word for children. Godbless.

visit http://childrenlivingthesundayword.blogspot.com/ for material on Children’s Liturgy of the Word
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Apr 18, '17, 7:57 am
MorEphrem's Avatar
MorEphrem MorEphrem is offline
Regular Member
Prayer Warrior
 
Join Date: October 16, 2012
Posts: 1,011
Religion: Syro-Maronite
Default Re: Orthodox and Maronites

I find it a much more complex answer than some are apt to give. I have extensive interactions with Syriac Orthodox prelates, and if you asked them that would respond that we are in fact the same Church. Likewise, we intercommune very frequently. There is mutual acknowledgment of the legitimacy of each other's sacraments and all their doings. Really, it is a matter of ecclesial organization.

So by technical definition, no we are not in full communion, it's more complex than an unqualified no.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old Apr 18, '17, 5:06 pm
Herculees's Avatar
Herculees Herculees is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: September 2, 2013
Posts: 224
Religion: Maronite Catholic
Default Re: Orthodox and Maronites

There is NO equivalent to the Maronites in the Orthodox church.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old Apr 19, '17, 12:38 pm
MorEphrem's Avatar
MorEphrem MorEphrem is offline
Regular Member
Prayer Warrior
 
Join Date: October 16, 2012
Posts: 1,011
Religion: Syro-Maronite
Default Re: Orthodox and Maronites

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herculees View Post
There is NO equivalent to the Maronites in the Orthodox church.
The OP's question wasn't about if there are any Orthodox equivalents.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old Apr 19, '17, 8:31 pm
Herculees's Avatar
Herculees Herculees is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: September 2, 2013
Posts: 224
Religion: Maronite Catholic
Default Re: Orthodox and Maronites

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorEphrem View Post
The OP's question wasn't about if there are any Orthodox equivalents.
Oh well, that was how I understood his question. I guess his question was not clear enough for me.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old Apr 22, '17, 10:15 am
mark a mark a is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: June 12, 2004
Posts: 7,256
Religion: Gratefully Catholic, Roman Rite
Default Re: Orthodox and Maronites

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorEphrem View Post
I find it a much more complex answer than some are apt to give. I have extensive interactions with Syriac Orthodox prelates, and if you asked them that would respond that we are in fact the same Church. Likewise, we intercommune very frequently. There is mutual acknowledgment of the legitimacy of each other's sacraments and all their doings. Really, it is a matter of ecclesial organization.

So by technical definition, no we are not in full communion, it's more complex than an unqualified no.
I ju5t realized my keyboard i5 malfunctioning. Plea5 exc5e all the 5'5.

Here'5 why I a5ked:

I attend a Maronite par5h that ha5 5ome Orthdox attend and receive communion. Al5o, when the church wa5 dedicated, an Orthodox 5ub-deacon attended and wa5 one of the dignitarie5 there.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old Apr 23, '17, 7:55 am
SyroMalankara SyroMalankara is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: July 19, 2004
Posts: 4,242
Religion: Syro-Malankara Catholic
Default Re: Orthodox and Maronites

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark a View Post
I ju5t realized my keyboard i5 malfunctioning. Plea5 exc5e all the 5'5.

Here'5 why I a5ked:

I attend a Maronite par5h that ha5 5ome Orthdox attend and receive communion. Al5o, when the church wa5 dedicated, an Orthodox 5ub-deacon attended and wa5 one of the dignitarie5 there.

Thank you.
Orthodox are allowed to receive Communion at Catholic Liturgies with the permission of their bishop, among Syriacs, Melkites, Assyrians, Armenians and a few others this permission is presumed. At this event, I assume the Orthodox hierarch was made aware and was probably present or sent a representative. With respect to the Reverend Deacon, in most cases, among Syriacs, Maronites, Malankara, etc Orthodox and Catholic clergy are treated equally and asked to vest partially, for almost any inter Church celebration
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old Apr 23, '17, 10:26 am
twf twf is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: May 18, 2004
Posts: 5,208
Religion: Catholic (former Evangelical Protestant)
Default Re: Orthodox and Maronites

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyroMalankara View Post
Orthodox are allowed to receive Communion at Catholic Liturgies with the permission of their bishop, among Syriacs, Melkites, Assyrians, Armenians and a few others this permission is presumed. At this event, I assume the Orthodox hierarch was made aware and was probably present or sent a representative. With respect to the Reverend Deacon, in most cases, among Syriacs, Maronites, Malankara, etc Orthodox and Catholic clergy are treated equally and asked to vest partially, for almost any inter Church celebration
Yes, on this forum the few Orthodox participants we have tend to frown upon such practices of inter-communion, but it is far more widespread than many people think. My Orthodox cousin in Edmonton, Alberta (a convert from Protestantism) told me that his priest was reprimanded by an older Orthodox priest for not communing Melkite Catholics.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old Apr 24, '17, 2:15 am
Constantin Constantin is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: February 1, 2017
Posts: 72
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Orthodox and Maronites

Quote:
Originally Posted by twf View Post
Yes, on this forum the few Orthodox participants we have tend to frown upon such practices of inter-communion, but it is far more widespread than many people think. My Orthodox cousin in Edmonton, Alberta (a convert from Protestantism) told me that his priest was reprimanded by an older Orthodox priest for not communing Melkite Catholics.
Indeed, intercommunion is not unheard of in the Middle East. In the (Greek & Russian) diaspora communities of Europe and the United States, it is pretty much an absolute no-go for the Orthodox.
Again, Orthodoxy is by no means consistent in this regard.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Eastern Catholicism

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump




Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
6498CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: tawny
6023Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: hazcompat
5104Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: grateful_child
4615Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: DesertSister62
4240Poems and Reflections
Last by: PathWalker
4052OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: Popeye14
3289For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: GLam8833
3261Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: Herculees
2813Let's Empty Purgatory 2
Last by: pageois
2446SOLITUDE
Last by: beth40n2



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 1:55 am.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.