Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Eastern Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 12, '17, 4:13 pm

Religion: Gratefully Catholic, Roman Rite
Default Orthodox and Maronites

Are any of the Orthodox in communion w/ Maronites?
Old Apr 12, '17, 4:16 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Orthodox and Maronites

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark a View Post
No. Maronites are Catholic, and therefore aren't in communion with the Orthodox. Nor is there a corresponding Orthodox Maronite Church. Why do you ask?
Old Apr 13, '17, 4:28 pm

Quote:
Are you asking if there is an Orthodox equivalent to the Maronite Church?

God is Love
Old Apr 14, '17, 10:44 pm

Religion: Asian Catholic, Latin Rite in communion with Rome

Quote:
No there isn't any

visit http://childrenlivingthesundayword.blogspot.com/ for material on Children’s Liturgy of the Word
Old Apr 18, '17, 7:57 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Syro-Maronite

I find it a much more complex answer than some are apt to give. I have extensive interactions with Syriac Orthodox prelates, and if you asked them that would respond that we are in fact the same Church. Likewise, we intercommune very frequently. There is mutual acknowledgment of the legitimacy of each other's sacraments and all their doings. Really, it is a matter of ecclesial organization.

So by technical definition, no we are not in full communion, it's more complex than an unqualified no.
Old Apr 18, '17, 5:06 pm

Religion: Maronite Catholic

There is NO equivalent to the Maronites in the Orthodox church.
Old Apr 19, '17, 12:38 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herculees View Post
There is NO equivalent to the Maronites in the Orthodox church.
The OP's question wasn't about if there are any Orthodox equivalents.
Old Apr 19, '17, 8:31 pm

Religion: Maronite Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorEphrem View Post
The OP's question wasn't about if there are any Orthodox equivalents.
Oh well, that was how I understood his question. I guess his question was not clear enough for me.
Old Apr 22, '17, 10:15 am

Religion: Gratefully Catholic, Roman Rite

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorEphrem View Post
I find it a much more complex answer than some are apt to give. I have extensive interactions with Syriac Orthodox prelates, and if you asked them that would respond that we are in fact the same Church. Likewise, we intercommune very frequently. There is mutual acknowledgment of the legitimacy of each other's sacraments and all their doings. Really, it is a matter of ecclesial organization.

So by technical definition, no we are not in full communion, it's more complex than an unqualified no.
I ju5t realized my keyboard i5 malfunctioning. Plea5 exc5e all the 5'5.

Here'5 why I a5ked:

I attend a Maronite par5h that ha5 5ome Orthdox attend and receive communion. Al5o, when the church wa5 dedicated, an Orthodox 5ub-deacon attended and wa5 one of the dignitarie5 there.

Thank you.
Old Apr 23, '17, 7:55 am

Religion: Syro-Malankara Catholic

Quote:
I ju5t realized my keyboard i5 malfunctioning. Plea5 exc5e all the 5'5.

Here'5 why I a5ked:

I attend a Maronite par5h that ha5 5ome Orthdox attend and receive communion. Al5o, when the church wa5 dedicated, an Orthodox 5ub-deacon attended and wa5 one of the dignitarie5 there.

Thank you.
Orthodox are allowed to receive Communion at Catholic Liturgies with the permission of their bishop, among Syriacs, Melkites, Assyrians, Armenians and a few others this permission is presumed. At this event, I assume the Orthodox hierarch was made aware and was probably present or sent a representative. With respect to the Reverend Deacon, in most cases, among Syriacs, Maronites, Malankara, etc Orthodox and Catholic clergy are treated equally and asked to vest partially, for almost any inter Church celebration
Old Apr 23, '17, 10:26 am

Religion: Catholic (former Evangelical Protestant)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SyroMalankara View Post
Orthodox are allowed to receive Communion at Catholic Liturgies with the permission of their bishop, among Syriacs, Melkites, Assyrians, Armenians and a few others this permission is presumed. At this event, I assume the Orthodox hierarch was made aware and was probably present or sent a representative. With respect to the Reverend Deacon, in most cases, among Syriacs, Maronites, Malankara, etc Orthodox and Catholic clergy are treated equally and asked to vest partially, for almost any inter Church celebration
Yes, on this forum the few Orthodox participants we have tend to frown upon such practices of inter-communion, but it is far more widespread than many people think. My Orthodox cousin in Edmonton, Alberta (a convert from Protestantism) told me that his priest was reprimanded by an older Orthodox priest for not communing Melkite Catholics.
Old Apr 24, '17, 2:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by twf View Post
Yes, on this forum the few Orthodox participants we have tend to frown upon such practices of inter-communion, but it is far more widespread than many people think. My Orthodox cousin in Edmonton, Alberta (a convert from Protestantism) told me that his priest was reprimanded by an older Orthodox priest for not communing Melkite Catholics.
Indeed, intercommunion is not unheard of in the Middle East. In the (Greek & Russian) diaspora communities of Europe and the United States, it is pretty much an absolute no-go for the Orthodox.
Again, Orthodoxy is by no means consistent in this regard.
Old Apr 30, '17, 12:07 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by twf View Post
Indeed, but it should be noted that these Orthodox participants are exclusively Eastern Orthodox to my knowledge, and generally converts. I've been knowingly communed by the Syriac Orthodox patriarch and the Armenian Orthodox Catholicos - amongst Orientals there is no problem at all. And, as your anecdote attests, the AO are occasionally amenable to the practice as well.
Old May 30, '17, 6:00 pm

Send a message via MSN to Ghosty Send a message via Yahoo to Ghosty

If it weren't for the Orthodox parishioners we might not be able to keep our Melkite parish afloat. In some communities you literally wouldn't know that there was a schism at all, but rather an administrative division. Some may find that hard to believe, but I'm sure many posters here are from similar communities.

For reference my community is officially Melkite, but includes equal portions of Maronites and various Orthodox (primarily Antiochian). I've even witnessed a Syriac Orthodox priest concelebrate with our Melkite Bishop. When we take care of eachother through difficult circumstances, in the homeland and abroad, schism becomes an afterthought.
Old May 30, '17, 8:43 pm

Religion: Orthodox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghosty View Post
If it weren't for the Orthodox parishioners we might not be able to keep our Melkite parish afloat. In some communities you literally wouldn't know that there was a schism at all, but rather an administrative division. Some may find that hard to believe, but I'm sure many posters here are from similar communities.

For reference my community is officially Melkite, but includes equal portions of Maronites and various Orthodox (primarily Antiochian). I've even witnessed a Syriac Orthodox priest concelebrate with our Melkite Bishop. When we take care of eachother through difficult circumstances, in the homeland and abroad, schism becomes an afterthought.
For myself, I think I would be ready to commune with Eastern-friendly Catholics in communion with Rome. I wish there were communities such as yours in my area, but there are no Melkite parishes here.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Eastern Catholicism