Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > Catholic News

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 16, '17, 2:04 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Catholic college in Kansas wipes ‘yoga’ from names of classes — it’s a Hindu thing

Yoga postures could just as easily have been running, walking, or any calisthenic. They were adopted into Hinduism ( as an option even) just like incense, fasting and for that matter, chastity, generosity and truthfulness . This correlation people are trying to make with demons Makes no sense.

“Lord, I have let myself be deceived; in a thousand ways I have shunned your love,
yet here I am once more, to renew my covenant with you.
I need you. Save me once again, Lord, take me once more into your redeeming embrace”.
- Pope Francis

Old Apr 17, '17, 3:23 am
Veteran Member

Religion: raised catholic
Default Re: Catholic college in Kansas wipes ‘yoga’ from names of classes — it’s a Hindu thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inisfallen View Post
I wouldn't say going to a yoga class is "practicing a different religion." It's just a fitness and relaxation thing, for Pete's sake. .
There has been a HUGE effort to make majority of people see it in this light, its called conditioning. The same thing has happened in regards to homosexual marriage recently, its not just coincidence that so many people, even devout christians see absolutely nothing wrong with this today.

Changing to name to 'lifestyle fitness' is absurd imo, its still the same thing, but not really surprised, didnt someone once say times would come when evil was called good and good evil...hmmm?
Old Apr 17, '17, 6:31 am

Religion: Confused Catholic

Much ado about nothing.
Old Apr 17, '17, 12:16 pm

I would be interested in whether or not the actually curriculum/positions/practices of the class would change, because to me the original article from the school newspaper The Circuit seems to suggest that the actual class would change, and not just the name.

That being said, people are making this a bigger deal than it has to be. Yoga is not the only way to become flexible/relax/deal with stress/etc. At the end of the day, the college will not close and the world will not end because of this. I'm sure there are numerous other opportunities for yoga in other places in Atchison if it is really that important to people.

I say that as a fairly recent Benedictine College alum who could give much testimony to the Catholic identity of the college.
Old Apr 17, '17, 5:52 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikekle View Post
There has been a HUGE effort to make majority of people see it in this light, its called conditioning. The same thing has happened in regards to homosexual marriage recently, its not just coincidence that so many people, even devout christians see absolutely nothing wrong with this today.

Changing to name to 'lifestyle fitness' is absurd imo, its still the same thing, but not really surprised, didnt someone once say times would come when evil was called good and good evil...hmmm?
You are seriously comparing yoga to homosexual marriage in term of moral evil?

“Lord, I have let myself be deceived; in a thousand ways I have shunned your love,
I need you. Save me once again, Lord, take me once more into your redeeming embrace”.
- Pope Francis

Old Apr 17, '17, 6:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlady88 View Post
I would be interested in whether or not the actually curriculum/positions/practices of the class would change, because to me the original article from the school newspaper The Circuit seems to suggest that the actual class would change, and not just the name.

That being said, people are making this a bigger deal than it has to be. Yoga is not the only way to become flexible/relax/deal with stress/etc. At the end of the day, the college will not close and the world will not end because of this. I'm sure there are numerous other opportunities for yoga in other places in Atchison if it is really that important to people.

I say that as a fairly recent Benedictine College alum who could give much testimony to the Catholic identity of the college.
I think the point is that Hindus are already upset about this, and who knows what harm may come to Christians in India.

It would have been better if they had never had the course at all, or if they had changed the content to stay within Catholic teachings, rather than change the name and cause an uproar, and possible attacks on Christians in India.

"Preach the Gospel at all times and if necessary use words."
-- St. Francis of Assisi

"I want to spend my Heaven doing good on Earth."
-- St. Therese of the Child Jesus
Old Apr 18, '17, 4:42 am

Default Re: Catholic college's 'yoga' changed to eliminate Hindu ties

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnvinc View Post
Ouija boards are dangerous.

It's a very tense situation, so just out of concern for fellow Christians in India, it would have been better if that college had not changed the name, but in private had consulted with the instructor to make sure there was no anti-Christian or demonic content in the course....which is perfectly doable. No one in public would have been the wiser to that directive.
How does a little college in Kansas impact Christians in India? Or are you speaking in principle?

- Pope Francis

Old Apr 18, '17, 10:03 am

Religion: Confused Catholic

Quote:
Ouija boards are dangerous.
Only if you take them seriously.
Old Apr 18, '17, 3:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsont7 View Post

But no, not everyone that does yoga will become possessed, but it can certainly open the door for possession, as has already been proven by those who deal with it. Heck, kids can use Ouija boards and not become possessed, but I doubt you'll find too many on here that will say that the Ouija board is just a harmless game.

Superstition. See Ideomotor phenomenon.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ideomotor_phenomenon

- Pope Francis

Old Apr 20, '17, 3:07 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Mayo View Post
Superstition. See Ideomotor phenomenon.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ideomotor_phenomenon
Now you've got me curious. Do you believe demonic possessions or exorcisms really exist, and if so, who would you believe on such matters?

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ccc_cs...m/p3s2c1a1.htm
Quote:
1673 When the Church asks publicly and authoritatively in the name of Jesus Christ that a person or object be protected against the power of the Evil One and withdrawn from his dominion, it is called exorcism. Jesus performed exorcisms and from him the Church has received the power and office of exorcizing.178 In a simple form, exorcism is performed at the celebration of Baptism. The solemn exorcism, called "a major exorcism," can be performed only by a priest and with the permission of the bishop. The priest must proceed with prudence, strictly observing the rules established by the Church. Exorcism is directed at the expulsion of demons or to the liberation from demonic possession through the spiritual authority which Jesus entrusted to his Church. Illness, especially psychological illness, is a very different matter; treating this is the concern of medical science. Therefore, before an exorcism is performed, it is important to ascertain that one is dealing with the presence of the Evil One, and not an illness.

2111 Superstition is the deviation of religious feeling and of the practices this feeling imposes. It can even affect the worship we offer the true God, e.g., when one attributes an importance in some way magical to certain practices otherwise lawful or necessary. To attribute the efficacy of prayers or of sacramental signs to their mere external performance, apart from the interior dispositions that they demand, is to fall into superstition.

2116 All forms of divination are to be rejected: recourse to Satan or demons, conjuring up the dead or other practices falsely supposed to "unveil" the future.48 Consulting horoscopes, astrology, palm reading, interpretation of omens and lots, the phenomena of clairvoyance, and recourse to mediums all conceal a desire for power over time, history, and, in the last analysis, other human beings, as well as a wish to conciliate hidden powers. They contradict the honor, respect, and loving fear that we owe to God alone.

2117 All practices of magic or sorcery, by which one attempts to tame occult powers, so as to place them at one's service and have a supernatural power over others - even if this were for the sake of restoring their health - are gravely contrary to the virtue of religion. These practices are even more to be condemned when accompanied by the intention of harming someone, or when they have recourse to the intervention of demons. Wearing charms is also reprehensible. Spiritism often implies divination or magical practices; the Church for her part warns the faithful against it. Recourse to so-called traditional cures does not justify either the invocation of evil powers or the exploitation of another's credulity.
Old Apr 20, '17, 6:45 am

Quote:
Now you've got me curious. Do you believe demonic possessions or exorcisms really exist, and if so, who would you believe on such matters?
Yes, I believe they exist. But I also believe that we must first seek explanations through science before jumping to supernatural conclusions.

- Pope Francis

Old Apr 20, '17, 9:42 am
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Religion: Protestant (Methodist) wanting to come home.

Quote:
First of all, the practice of yoga is more than just stretching exercises. The Catholic Church has never opposed stretching exercises but has spoken out against yoga. And regarding demonic possession associated with yoga, I trust the first-hand experience from actual exorcists (Fr. Gabriel Amorth, Fr. Chad Ripperger) who have seen it happen.
Do you have a reference for Fr Amorth saying this? Not challenging you, just curious.
Old Apr 20, '17, 9:44 am
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Quote:
I forgot, we need to get rid of Thursday -- Thor's Day.

So now it becomes Maundy Whateverday...
What about Saturns Day? Or Odins Day?
Old Apr 20, '17, 11:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cthulhubryan View Post
Do you have a reference for Fr Amorth saying this? Not challenging you, just curious.
Here are a few news articles that mentioned it, but it seemed to be a big deal when he spoke of it:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...oga-and-harry/

http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/news...ga-dies-at-91/

This one is a commentary on Fr. Amorth's beliefs:
http://www.americamagazine.org/conte...yoga-and-devil
Old Apr 21, '17, 5:26 am
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Quote:
Here are a few news articles that mentioned it, but it seemed to be a big deal when he spoke of it:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...oga-and-harry/

http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/news...ga-dies-at-91/

This one is a commentary on Fr. Amorth's beliefs:
http://www.americamagazine.org/conte...yoga-and-devil
Thank you! I read one of the books on Fr. Amorth and found it fascinating and yet more evidence of the love God has for us.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > Catholic News