Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Eastern Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jul 16, '17, 12:28 pm

Religion: Orthodox
Default Re: The Orthodox Church of Puerto Rico enters into communion with the Catholic Church.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JharekCarnelian View Post
Yes, but we hardly run about thinking about it all day. Believe me it is not a subject that as a Latin Rite Catholic occupies much of my time or mental processes.
Twf said that Eastern Catholics gave it "little or no thought".
Old Jul 16, '17, 12:31 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: The Orthodox Church of Puerto Rico enters into communion with the Catholic Church.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expatreprocedit View Post
Twf said that Eastern Catholics gave it "little or no thought".
He would know as he is Eastern Catholic, he is probably correct. The subject of indulgences is not one that routinely pops up for Catholics of any stripe I have encountered.
Old Jul 16, '17, 3:13 pm

Religion: catholic

Quote:
He would know as he is Eastern Catholic, he is probably correct. The subject of indulgences is not one that routinely pops up for Catholics of any stripe I have encountered.
That's a bit odd, seeing as we just finished the Extraordinary Jubilee Year of Mercy, and a holy door for plenary indulgences was open at every cathedral around the world.
Old Jul 16, '17, 7:43 pm

Religion: Catholic (former Evangelical Protestant)

Quote:
I'm actually Latin. I have mentioned that I have some relatives who are Orthodox...maybe that's what you remembered? That being said, I certainly do have an appreciation for the beauty of the Divine Liturgy!

Yes, I meant that Eastern Catholics are not in any way require to incorporate indulgences into their own spiritual lives. They are certainly welcome to, but there is no requirement that they do so nor give them any particular thought.
Of course, as I understand it, indulgences have their root in a concept very similar to the Eastern practice of "economy". In the early Church, grave sins would have "set" prescribed penances - sometimes these standard penances would take years to complete. Bishops could, by the power of binding and loosing given to them, exercise the Church's mercy to reduce these set penances. The concept of indulgences evolved from this practice.
Old Jul 21, '17, 11:44 am
Veteran Member

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augustine View Post
Just as Catholics resent the splitting of the Body of Christ, so do the Orthodox. Instead of triumphalism, this should be a moment of soberness about the scandalous split in Christendom, which this parish is just a glaring example, not of healing, but of the wound.

Lord, have mercy!
This is a little bit of healing (the reconciliation of even one person is). Catholics can certainly have joy in seeing some of their separated brethren reconciled. We definitely cannot have a false triumphalism (the triumph here is God's) or believe that the reconciliation of one community means that the will of God for the unity of all Christians has been achieved.

But we also can't equate a person defecting from the Catholic Church to an Orthodox Church with a person moving in the other direction--we would need to embrace a false relativism to do so.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Eastern Catholicism