Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jul 14, '17, 8:23 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic
Default Coming out as straight

A week or two ago I was going to start a thread on the idea of “Straight Pride”, but I changed my mind after browsing the topic on the internet, because it appears to have become a very us-vs-them topic.

Then today I thought “Well rather than give up on the idea, what if I revamp it a little?”

So I’m instead putting the focus on people coming out as straight. Can anyone contribute anything on that topic?
Old Jul 14, '17, 8:26 am
Forum Elder

Default Re: Coming out as straight

I have a more specific question too: a few years ago there was a post about a coming-out-as-straight episode of Mad About You. But I've pretty much never watched the show ... does anyone know that episode?
Old Jul 14, '17, 8:28 am
Forum Elder

P.S. I'm not sure if this needs saying or not, but my actions here are not meant to make light of the suffering that gay people sometimes suffer w.r.t. coming out of the closet.
Old Jul 14, '17, 10:11 am
Prayer Warrior

My take on this: in most places straight people are so much the majority that "coming out as straight" either is basically meaningless or can't avoid sounding like an attack on any gay people in the vicinity.
Old Jul 14, '17, 10:31 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: may the force be with you

I've seen people here say stats claim that about 98 percent of society is basically heterosexual (tho many stats I've seen say about 7-8 percent or so are homosexual?).

With a majority like that, most don't feel a need to "come out."

But, people usually "come out" as hetero anyway in their pre-teen years...depending on which poster they put up on their bedroom wall...David Cassidy or Farrah Fawcett!
(totally dating myself here...).

Creator and member of The Rational Rat Pack:

"Wherever you go, there you are."
Old Jul 14, '17, 10:37 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: may the force be with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter J View Post
I have a more specific question too: a few years ago there was a post about a coming-out-as-straight episode of Mad About You. But I've pretty much never watched the show ... does anyone know that episode?
I don't remember that one.
I remember a realllly funny one about Paul's sister coming out as gay....

Creator and member of The Rational Rat Pack:

"Wherever you go, there you are."
Old Jul 14, '17, 11:00 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyGirl View Post
But, people usually "come out" as hetero anyway in their pre-teen years...depending on which poster they put up on their bedroom wall...David Cassidy or Farrah Fawcett!
Heh. You just reminded me of an Oliver Bean episode (one of the few that I saw, believe me). Oliver's friend gets caught looking at a Playboy-ish magazine, and then sheepishly admits to his father that he liked it, to which his father exclaims "Oh thank God!"

Quote:
(totally dating myself here...).
Yeah, I had to look up David Cassidy. (Though if you'd said Keith Partridge I would've understood.)
Old Jul 14, '17, 11:02 am
Veteran Member

The only reason I could think of someone needed to "come out as straight", would be if they had previously told everyone they were gay. It think that's probably a pretty rare situation.
Old Jul 14, '17, 11:09 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reepicheep View Post
My take on this: in most places straight people are so much the majority that "coming out as straight" either is basically meaningless or can't avoid sounding like an attack on any gay people in the vicinity.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyGirl View Post
I've seen people here say stats claim that about 98 percent of society is basically heterosexual (tho many stats I've seen say about 7-8 percent or so are homosexual?).

With a majority like that, most don't feel a need to "come out."
Yeah, I think this thread would've had greater traction if I'd gone with the "straight pride" theme, but I think that topic is a bit inflammatory for some. (Though it doesn't necessarily have to be: Stephen Fry was once told that, if there were a Straight Pride Parade, then he wouldn't be invited because he's gay. Instead of responding that there shouldn't be such a thing, Fry merely said "I should be invited.")
Old Jul 15, '17, 7:33 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Yeah, I think this thread would've had greater traction if I'd gone with the "straight pride" theme, but I think that topic is a bit inflammatory for some. (Though it doesn't necessarily have to be: Stephen Fry was once told that, if there were a Straight Pride Parade, then he wouldn't be invited because he's gay. Instead of responding that there shouldn't be such a thing, Fry merely said "I should be invited.")
P.S. This is along the lines of the "straight pride" idea, but done in a way that I don't think would offend anyone: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iS5WZoQGP4I
Old Jul 15, '17, 7:36 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegra View Post
The only reason I could think of someone needed to "come out as straight", would be if they had previously told everyone they were gay. It think that's probably a pretty rare situation.
Since starting this thread, it has occurred to me that “coming out as straight” may be a more common theme in sitcoms than I realized.

For example, I remember an episode of Cheers where the above happened to Norm. He mimicked mannerisms associated with gay people in order to get a yuppie couple to hire him as their interior designer. Then later he has to admit the truth to them ... in fact he even says "It's time for me to come out of the closet. I'm straight."
Old Jul 16, '17, 11:16 pm

Religion: Atheist

Most if not all people come out as straight every day of their lives. It is revealed by their words,photos on their desks, phone calls, the way they talk to/about their loved ones without hiding it etc, etc etc.
Old Jul 17, '17, 4:07 am

Religion: Catholic Convert

Quote:
A week or two ago I was going to start a thread on the idea of “Straight Pride”, but I changed my mind after browsing the topic on the internet, because it appears to have become a very us-vs-them topic.

Then today I thought “Well rather than give up on the idea, what if I revamp it a little?”

So I’m instead putting the focus on people coming out as straight. Can anyone contribute anything on that topic?
I must admit, I don't understand the point. Gay people "come out" because shame and fear of rejection so often causes them to hide their sexual orientation in the first place, and because it is generally assumed that a person is heterosexual unless they reveal otherwise.

Otar is absolutely correct. As straight people, we reveal our sexual orientation every day of our lives because we've never felt shame about being heterosexual or felt the need to hide our sexual orientation from others. There's no need to come out about something you've never concealed. Frankly, I don't see what purpose it serves other than to mock and aggrieve our gay brothers and sisters.
Old Jul 17, '17, 7:07 am

Yeah, "coming out" as straight when that's already the default assumption for the vast majority of people would feel like a pointless needling of gay people. Not into the idea.
Old Jul 17, '17, 7:54 am
Veteran Member

Religion: raised catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allegra View Post
Not rare at all. I can think of 6 people off the top of my head I have known that were once homosexual but eventually changed and admitted they were straight. 5 of them are now married and have children, All 6 of them said it was a phase they went thru as well.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence