Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > World News

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jul 9, '17, 8:10 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: One reason the GOP health bill is a mess: No one thought Trump would win

2 GOP senators suggest bill to repeal health care law ‘dead’

Quote:
The initial GOP bill to repeal and replace the nation’s health law is probably “dead” and President Donald Trump’s proposal to just repeal it appears to be a “non-starter,” two moderate Republican senators indicated Sunday as their party scrambled to salvage faltering legislation.

“We don’t know what the plan is,” said Sen. Bill Cassidy, R-La. “Clearly, the draft plan is dead. Is the serious rewrite plan dead? I don’t know.”

Sen. John McCain, R-Ariz., said it may now be time for Republicans to come up with a new proposal with support from Democrats.

“I think my view is it’s probably going to be dead,” McCain said of the GOP bill. If Democrats are included, he said, it doesn’t mean “they control it. It means they can have amendments considered. And even when they lose, then they’re part of the process. That’s what democracy is supposed to be all about.”
Old Jul 9, '17, 8:21 pm

Default Re: One reason the GOP health bill is a mess: No one thought Trump would win

GOP senator: If I have to be that one person to kill healthcare bill, I will

Quote:
Sen. Shelley Moore Capito (R-W.Va.), a fierce opponent of the Senate healthcare bill, reportedly said she will kill the legislation if it comes down to her.

“I only see it through the lens of a vulnerable population who needs help, who I care about very deeply,” she said during an interview with Politico that was published Sunday. “So that gives me strength. If I have to be that one person, I will be it.”

Capito, who represents a state that President Trump won by large margins, reportedly expressed concern about the bill's impact on Medicaid recipients, especially those afflicted by the opioid crisis.

The West Virginia lawmaker also pointed to fears of lost coverage that could occur in her home state, the newspaper reported.

[...]

Capito's willingness to torpedo the GOP’s bill that repeals and replaces key provisions of ObamaCare comes even as several of her Republican colleagues have expressed their opposition or reservations about the bill in its current form.
Old Jul 11, '17, 6:13 am

BCRA will reduce access to affordable coverage. In fact, in many places, premiums will increase for those that need coverage the most, and coverage will disappear for the most vulnerable.
http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blo...lve-healthcare

Anthony R. Tersigni, EdD, is President and CEO of Ascension Kevin E. Lofton is CEO of Catholic Health Initiatives. Lloyd H. Dean is CEO of Dignity Health. Dr. Richard J. Gilfillan is CEO of Trinity Health. Rodney F. Hochman, MD, is CEO and President of Providence St. Joseph Health.

“Lord, I have let myself be deceived; in a thousand ways I have shunned your love,
yet here I am once more, to renew my covenant with you.
I need you. Save me once again, Lord, take me once more into your redeeming embrace”.
- Pope Francis

Old Jul 11, '17, 9:20 am

Republicans Are Still Seven Votes Shy On Health Care

Quote:
Republicans appear to be at least seven votes short of the 50 they need to get a health care bill through the Senate, which is basically where they were when Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell unveiled a draft bill more than two weeks ago.

Soon after the draft bill’s release, one bloc of GOP senators (Ted Cruz of Texas, Ron Johnson of Wisconsin, Mike Lee of Utah and Rand Paul of Kentucky) argued that the bill was insufficiently conservative and did not repeal enough of the Affordable Care Act, aka Obamacare.

A separate bloc of more moderate Republican senators (Shelley Moore Capito of West Virginia, Susan Collins of Maine, Dean Heller of Nevada and Rob Portman of Ohio) said the bill was too conservative. Lisa Murkowski of Alaska, another more moderate Republican, has been noncommittal about backing the bill.

There are 52 Republicans in the Senate — the bill has no support from non-GOP senators — so leadership can afford to lose only two in a vote (with Vice President Mike Pence as the tiebreaker to push the tally to 51). If this process were going well for Republicans, by now some of the hesitant members would have proposed changes to the bill, McConnell would have said he is adopting those changes, and these members would say they were voting for the bill, pending those changes. That full cycle has not happened yet with any of these nine members. Some have publicly proposed ideas that McConnell has not yet said he will adopt, presumably because he knows those ideas won’t fly with other members. Others have not, at least publicly, given any kind of wish list, suggesting that they would like the bill to die.

I would say Republicans are stuck in neutral, except that they might be moving backward, adding opponents to the legislation. Two stalwart Republican senators (North Dakota’s John Hoeven and Kansas’s Jerry Moran) criticized the McConnell bill last week, although I’m skeptical that either would be a “no” if the legislation moved to a vote.

McConnell and other Republicans seem to be increasingly pessimistic that Republicans can come together. And a close look at these nine senators and their public comments suggests that this pessimism is grounded in reality. (We grouped some of the senators below to illustrate how interconnected some of their concerns are.)
Old Jul 11, '17, 10:04 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Mayo View Post
BCRA will reduce access to affordable coverage. In fact, in many places, premiums will increase for those that need coverage the most, and coverage will disappear for the most vulnerable.
http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blo...lve-healthcare

Anthony R. Tersigni, EdD, is President and CEO of Ascension Kevin E. Lofton is CEO of Catholic Health Initiatives. Lloyd H. Dean is CEO of Dignity Health. Dr. Richard J. Gilfillan is CEO of Trinity Health. Rodney F. Hochman, MD, is CEO and President of Providence St. Joseph Health.
Seems like the best solution would be to extend Medicare to those who need coverage the most but what do I know.
Old Jul 11, '17, 11:33 am

Senate GOP health bill quietly brings back preexisting conditions

Quote:
The Senate health care bill could once again allow insurance companies to offer some individuals plans that cover few benefits — and, in certain policies, exclude sick people entirely.

These changes result from a little-noticed provision that lets self-employed Americans opt out of the individual market and buy into the health plans that large employers provide, which have more lax regulatory standards.

Health policy experts at the Kaiser Family Foundation and Georgetown University have recently analyzed this provision, and concluded that these “small-business health plans” could siphon off healthy consumers.

These plans could, according to one analysis, “condition membership on the health status of small businesses” — including cases where the small business is a self-employed individual.

Sicker Americans would still be able to purchase coverage on the individual market, but those plans would be expected to get more expensive as healthier people flock to the cheaper options.
I like that the talking point about the ACA destroying insurance markets is followed up by a plan that will actually destroy insurance markets.

Also, McConnell has canceled the first two weeks of the August recess, they're really desperate to get this through before the Trump-Russia scandal really picks up steam.
Old Jul 12, '17, 7:14 pm

Short Tempers And Mass Confusion: O’care Repeal Is Going Awesome

Quote:
An updated version of Senate Republicans’ health care bill will be released Thursday morning, but as of Wednesday afternoon few lawmakers had any idea what that bill would include, or even if one or two versions will be unveiled.

The GOP senators scurried, tight-lipped and irritable, through the subterranean corridors of the Capitol’s basement, harried aides trailing after them, snapping at reporters who peppered them with questions on legislation they still haven’t seen.

“What health care bill?” Sen. Lisa Murkowski (R-AK) asked in exasperation as a crowd of reporters hounded the senator—a key swing vote who opposed the first bill’s deep cuts to Medicaid.

“I’m anxious to see it,” sighed Sen. Shelley Moore Capito (R-WV), another sought-after vote who has raised majors concerns about the impact of repealing Obamacare on her Medicaid-dependent state.

“There are a lot of moving pieces that aren’t certain yet,” Sen. Tim Scott (R-SC) told reporters as he left a GOP lunch Wednesday afternoon where senators had hoped to get more information. “It’s a painful process right now.”

Reporters then swarmed Sen. Ron Johnson (R-WI), one of the dissenters who helped tank the first iteration of the bill because he said the process was too rushed, asking if he’d received clarity on what will be in tomorrow’s revised version.

“Uh, no,” he admitted.

After the first bill was pulled in June due to crumbling support, changes were proposed that aimed to bring both moderate Republicans and hardline conservatives on board, such as removing some of the tax cuts on the wealthy and using that money to fund opioid addiction treatment and insurance market stabilization.

The tweaks, however, seem to have accomplished little more than pissing off both camps.
Old Jul 15, '17, 6:53 am

The health insurance industry's trade organization published a letter to the Senate leaders about Cruz's amendment. That amendment may be what gets enough votes to pass the bill, and in the words of the insurance companies "is simply unworkable in any form". It seems like everything Republicans have blamed on the ACA is actually going to happen because of their bill.
Old Jul 15, '17, 2:51 pm
Forum Elder

Sounds like the news media is daring the Senate to pass a bill. Not a half hour goes by without mentioning the status of such a bill, any bill, never mind its content.
Old Jul 15, '17, 9:24 pm

Religion: Non practicing Roman Catholic with mainline Christian faith

Vote delayed while McCain takes the week off recovering from surgery for a blood clot near his eye. My prayers are with the senator at this time. And thank God he has healthcare.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/07/15/politi...lot/index.html

"The view of the church’s teaching as a monolith to defend without nuance or different understandings is wrong."

(Pope Francis)
Old Jul 15, '17, 10:09 pm

Religion: Cradle Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProVobis View Post
Seems like the best solution would be to extend Medicare to those who need coverage the most but what do I know.
i remember when a Republican suggested starting Medicare at 55. I thought it was a great idea so people wouldn't be permanently tethered to their jobs to receive health benefits. It could free up people who wanted to start their own businesses or at least go part time. this would free up many jobs for those coming up behind. But, alas, no. The republicans scraped and idea that the democrats could work with. More's the pity.
Old Jul 16, '17, 11:30 pm

While the bill repeals requirements that insurers cover basic healthcare don't worry for Congress, there's an exemption built in for members of Congress and their staff; their plans will still be required to cover essential health benefits.

Also, waiting periods are back! The Cruz Amendment that allows people to buy substandard insurance plans won't just make plans that actually cover any real healthcare unaffordable for most people, when people on those substandard plans get sick and switch to a plan that actually covers their illness they get to wait six months without any coverage before that coverage kicks in. Hope you don't need a surgery or chemotherapy with any urgency!
Old Jul 17, '17, 7:59 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmachine View Post
While the bill repeals requirements that insurers cover basic healthcare don't worry for Congress, there's an exemption built in for members of Congress and their staff; their plans will still be required to cover essential health benefits.
Oh. Isn't that convenient.
Old Jul 17, '17, 8:10 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmachine View Post

Also, waiting periods are back! The Cruz Amendment that allows people to buy substandard insurance plans won't just make plans that actually cover any real healthcare unaffordable for most people, when people on those substandard plans get sick and switch to a plan that actually covers their illness they get to wait six months without any coverage before that coverage kicks in. Hope you don't need a surgery or chemotherapy with any urgency!
And the irony is that even these pretend plans are subject to annual premium increases.
Old Jul 17, '17, 8:16 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProVobis View Post
Sounds like the news media is daring the Senate to pass a bill. Not a half hour goes by without mentioning the status of such a bill, any bill, never mind its content.
With the Democrats voting en bloc and the Republicans splintered, McConnel will not put it to vote if he can't get the number. President Trump is ready anytime to sign the bill, but to get it passed by the house is another ball game altogether.

Lord, by your cross and resurrection
you have set us free.
You are the Savior of the world.

Life begins at conception not implantation.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > World News