Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > Catholic News

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Mar 23, '17, 8:37 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Pope begs forgiveness for church role in Rwandan genocide

Quote:
Originally Posted by JharekCarnelian View Post
Neither Mohammad or St. Paul are of particular reference here, it is simply that naughty Muslims is a go-to position of particular frequency on the forum here.
I see. I am not the forum. It is not a go-to position for me: it is perfectly relevant in this discussion of apologies owed to women for the contents of sacred texts and double standards at play. Don't know HOW or WHY Prophet Muhammad may be excluded considering the contents of the Quran and Hadith.

FYI: naughty Christians is the go to position of secular humanists who would never dare criticize islam for worse things than they point at among Christians.

If a Christian apostle ought to apologize for benign things he SAID in scripture why should a free pass be given to the words and actions of the Muslim prophet with regard to women, considering what he said and DID? I am fine if mention of him is more bothersome than similar ones of an Apostle in the same vein, but I guess we are all free to defend what we feel is important.
Old Mar 23, '17, 8:40 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginny89 View Post
I see. I am not the forum. It is not a go-to position for me: it is perfectly relevant in this discussion of apologies owed to women for the contents of sacred texts and double standards at play. Don't know HOW or WHY Prophet Muhammad may be excluded considering the contents of the Quran and Hadith.

FYI: naughty Christians is the go to position of secular humanists who would never dare criticize islam for worse things than they point at among Christians.

If a Christian apostle ought to apologize for benign things he SAID in scripture why should a free pass be given to the words and actions of the Muslim prophet with regard to women, considering what he said and DID? I am fine if mention of him is more bothersome than similar ones of an Apostle in the same vein, but I guess we are all free to defend what we feel is important.
And I free to use the ignore filer where plainly we are talking past each other. Good day.
Old Mar 23, '17, 8:41 am

Quote:
And I free to use the ignore filer where plainly we are talking past each other. Good day.
Good day sir.
Old Mar 23, '17, 5:01 pm

Quote:
Chopping people up with machetes at a personal level and organizing massacres and whipping mobs into frenzy, some clergy were involved in such activities driven by tribalism. Nothing new there, Christian clergy, whether Catholic, Protestant, Orthodox etc. are unfortunately not immune to tribalist and ultra-nationalistic rhetoric and you can sadly find plenty of examples of such individuals from various Christian backgrounds who are clergy shaming their calling and Churches over the centuries by involvement in such affairs.
Do you know that Timothy Longman's conclusions aren't supported by the factual evidence?

Quote:
Timothy Longman has provided the most detailed discussion of the role of religion in the Rwandan genocide in Christianity and Genocide in Rwanda, published in 2010. Longman argues that both Catholic and Protestant churches helped to make the genocide possible by giving moral sanction to the killing. Churches had longed played ethnic politics themselves, favoring the Tutsi during the colonial period then switching allegiance to the Hutu after 1959, sending a message that ethnic discrimination was consistent with church teaching. The church leaders had close ties with the political leaders, and after the genocide began, the church leaders called on the population to support the new interim government, the very government supporting the genocide.
Link:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religi...#1994_Genocide
Old Mar 23, '17, 9:47 pm

Has the Catholic Church apologized for the actions of Judas?

After all he was an Apostle.

The Church has always been made up of sinners.

I will not reject Christ, or His Church, because of the actions of one of his Apostles.
Old Mar 24, '17, 3:09 am
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by I trust View Post
Has the Catholic Church apologized for the actions of Judas?

After all he was an Apostle.

The Church has always been made up of sinners.

I will not reject Christ, or His Church, because of the actions of one of his Apostles.
None of our first bishops behaved particularly admirably during the Tridium.
Old Mar 24, '17, 8:42 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: may the force be with you

Quote:
Oh, ok ok, how silly of me. I think I get it now:

If the known human author of a text that says offensive things about women attributes the statements to a supernatural entity, it is AOK with you! No apologies are desirable in such a context: You see, it is not the things said about women in the texts that matters, it is who the human authors attribute their words to! Excellent.

Come to think of it, all St. Paul's letters were inspired by the Holy Spirit so I hope that clears matters. By golly! Joseph Smith's book, decrees and laws also came from divine revelation, so no apologies there either. I guess I'm confused about the "judaeo-Christian Bible" though in the same post, though.... Haven't we just established that if the texts of known human author are attributed to a supernatural entity there can be no talk of apologies? (Quickly heads back up to read post again...) Yep! We just established that when the works of human authors are attributed to God, any mention of apologies is plain rubbish.

FYI: I asked if you would want an apology from the prophet Muhammad too: You answered that you havent read any of his personal letters. Lets not let you confuse yourself so badly again.

Sorry, but I can barely decipher the ideas and conclusions you are trying to express here. It seems you're repeating the same stuff I already corrected.

Creator and member of The Rational Rat Pack:

"Wherever you go, there you are."
Old Mar 24, '17, 9:13 am
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Chopping people up with machetes at a personal level and organizing massacres and whipping mobs into frenzy, some clergy were involved in such activities driven by tribalism. Nothing new there, Christian clergy, whether Catholic, Protestant, Orthodox etc. are unfortunately not immune to tribalist and ultra-nationalistic rhetoric and you can sadly find plenty of examples of such individuals from various Christian backgrounds who are clergy shaming their calling and Churches over the centuries by involvement in such affairs.

Too right.
No group of people are immune, from any religion/belief system in any century.
And even if pope Francis asks for forgiveness on behalf of Catholics, that surely does not mean other groups were not involved as well.
It simply means...he is wise and humble enough to know that words of love and forgiveness may help the healing process of many and may even help prevent future atrocities like this.
Again...good on him.

Old Mar 24, '17, 6:16 pm

I think it's great. Sure more faiths than just Catholic did wrong, but someone has to make the first move. I think it shows Pope Francis' humility that he did so first.

I side with Pope Francis!
Old Mar 24, '17, 10:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaddyGirl View Post
Sorry, but I can barely decipher the ideas and conclusions you are trying to express here. It seems you're repeating the same stuff I already corrected.

Yes you did correct me, dear. You made it clear that Mohammad's words and deeds about women do not concern you because he said they were from Allah. Just letting you know you can relax about St. Paul too. For the same reason. I hope that's simple enough for a journalist to understand.
Old Mar 25, '17, 6:50 am
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Yes you did correct me, dear. You made it clear that Mohammad's words and deeds about women do not concern you because he said they were from Allah. Just letting you know you can relax about St. Paul too. For the same reason. I hope that's simple enough for a journalist to understand.

Interesting. That's not what I said at all.
But I suspect no amount of correcting on my part will have any effect on the scenario to which you are wedded.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > Catholic News