Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Jan 19, '09, 12:56 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior
Radio Club Member
Forum Supporter

Religion: Convert to Congreg. of the Singular Ovis
Default Re: What should a homosexual person do

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathia View Post
What else is there for those that feel nothing? I went to church for the first two decades and some of my life. I have felt nothing, I have never felt God or Jesus, or anything. Church is merely this cold place where I feel lonely, because no one there wants to be a part of my life.

What is there for someone, when God does not appear to be there? I try so hard, but I have never felt anything special at any point in my life outside of the company of other human beings in friendship and created families, since my own are not comfortable with my chosen way of living despite the fact I am not sexually active. Simply, they are not comfortable in the fact I will not 'cure' myself and marry.

How can you ask someone to give something up, because of something they don't ever feel?
This is a good question, and illustrates that obedience to God must not be based on "feelings". He said "when you have done all that is commanded say, 'we are unworthy servant, and have only done that which is our duty.'"

I am quite certain that Jesus did not want to take up the cross and carry it. When we obey Him in faith, though the feelings will follow.

If there is something we are not willing to give up, such as a lifestyle, then we are holding back on God. He may be waiting for us to "let go" so that He can catch us up, and carry us to where He intends for us to be. Look at Mother Teresa. She often "felt nothing" yet persisted all her life in service.
"The tradition of the Apostles has been made manifest throughout the world, and can be found in every Church by those who wish to know the truth." -- Irenaeus, writing about A.D. 189, on how the unity of the Church was based on the Apostolic Tradition everywhere handed down (paradosis).

Old Jan 19, '09, 1:01 pm

Religion: Lapsed/Former Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angels Unaware View Post
The only thing that occurred to me is that if you derive a sense of energy and peace from your friends, as you seemed to say, then perhaps that is what prevents you from hearing the still, small voice of God.

I really do not have a good answer for you on why you do not sense God, but want to. God says if you seek Him, then He is there. Perhaps you are seeking the wrong thing? Or perhaps you have not recognized it when God is there?.
It keeps me from going crazy and I don't mean that figuratively

The last time I tried to be a hermit, because this is what I was told to do upon asking for spiritual advice, I ended up on the street and homeless wandering around, ran out of meds and turned into one of those crazy eyed people you don't want to make eye contact with on the street. The only time I 'feel' anything is when I am off my medications, but what I 'feel' is destructive to myself and others, so I'm pretty sure it's not God.

I wish I could say you're right, but I would be willing to accept that what I am doing is wrong, but God doesn't even voice this. There is nothing, just absolutely silence and a lack of even a void. There's not even anything 'missing' it's just...blank, nothing there. It's like trying to grab a contact lens that you can't see, I just do it over and over and no results.

Quote:
If there is something we are not willing to give up, such as a lifestyle, then we are holding back on God.
Again, what is there for me to give up? When I give up the contact of humans, I go insane, literally. I am speaking of social contact, not sexual activity.
Old Jan 19, '09, 1:08 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior
Radio Club Member
Forum Supporter

Religion: Convert to Congreg. of the Singular Ovis

Quote:
It keeps me from going crazy and I don't mean that figuratively

The last time I tried to be a hermit, because this is what I was told to do upon asking for spiritual advice, I ended up on the street and homeless wandering around, ran out of meds and turned into one of those crazy eyed people you don't want to make eye contact with on the street. The only time I 'feel' anything is when I am off my medications, but what I 'feel' is destructive to myself and others, so I'm pretty sure it's not God.
Can't argue with that.

Quote:
I wish I could say you're right, but I would be willing to accept that what I am doing is wrong, but God doesn't even voice this. There is nothing, just absolutely silence and a lack of even a void. There's not even anything 'missing' it's just...blank, nothing there. It's like trying to grab a contact lens that you can't see, I just do it over and over and no results.
God has voiced sufficient in the scripture and the teaching of the Church. If you follow what is given to you, you will get more.

This is a situation where obedience is primary. One must persist in doing what is right, fixing one's eyes upon Jesus.

Quote:
Again, what is there for me to give up? When I give up the contact of humans, I go insane, literally. I am speaking of social contact, not sexual activity.
I gathered, though, that your social contact was not given in the service of the needy,but in friendships with other homosexuals. Did I get that right?
"The tradition of the Apostles has been made manifest throughout the world, and can be found in every Church by those who wish to know the truth." -- Irenaeus, writing about A.D. 189, on how the unity of the Church was based on the Apostolic Tradition everywhere handed down (paradosis).

Old Jan 19, '09, 1:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by guanophore View Post
I gathered, though, that your social contact was not given in the service of the needy,but in friendships with other homosexuals. Did I get that right?
No, active gays do not really want to associate with someone who chooses not to be active at all.

It hurts me, I do not know how I could service the needy to be honest. I am so sickly I barely can hold down a 40hour a week job. Most of the time outside of that, I'm recovering from the strain at home. When I say 'time with my friends' I mean maybe 2-4hours a month. That's all i need to not go crazy. Most of the rest of my time is caught up in medical appointments, therapy and the 12hours of sleep I need to not pass out in a faint at work. The meds I am on cause extreme intolerance to germs/sickness and a very high sensitivity to sunlight (I joke I am a vampire at times, because I simply can't go outside easily).

I have been celibate my entire life, I have yet to feel anything or feel any direction. The church says I am 'fine' with what I am doing now, but I don't feel fine, because I don't feel anything. I often think the drugs are clouding my mind and hiding God, but when I go off them, things get much worse and I start hurting myself.
Old Jan 19, '09, 1:25 pm

Religion: Catholic

Pathia, I am not going to be able to give you the answers you need, because I am not God, and I am pitifully unable to understand your experiences.

However, let me clarify that I do not think you should be a hermit, especially if it causes you intense emotional distress, and perhaps the advice given to you in the past was similar to what I am trying to say now. What I am trying to say is not to isolate yourself, but instead to focus your hope and help not on human beings but on God.

This must be terribly difficult for you if you do not understand what God is, and have no spiritual sense of God.

I am actually going to conclude that you have a heavy cross in the form of some kind of physical, neurological problem, evidenced in the problems you've experienced before. In that case, you just need to know this- God is with you. Peace is given unto you. Salvation is yours if you desire it. You simply may never experientially know God because of whatever is going on in your brian that causes the reception of God to be disrupted.

Therefore, simply behave as if you know God is with you. Just be obedient. Continue to go to Church, though you feel empty. Continue to pray, though it seems empty. Trust that God is there though you cannot see Him. Imagine that God is holding your hand every step of the way, and when your time on earth is over, you will miraculously see Him, and all will make perfect sense.

This is what Mother Teresa had to do, and others who had long periods of longing for God, and not being able to experience him.

Why not read the stories of the saints? Their stories could keep you company for a very long time.

Pray for us, O Holy Mother of God, that we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ
Old Jan 19, '09, 1:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angels Unaware View Post
Therefore, simply behave as if you know God is with you. Just be obedient. Continue to go to Church, though you feel empty. Continue to pray, though it seems empty. Trust that God is there though you cannot see Him. Imagine that God is holding your hand every step of the way, and when your time on earth is over, you will miraculously see Him, and all will make perfect sense.
That feels like lying.
Old Jan 19, '09, 1:49 pm

Quote:
That feels like lying.
You've got it backwards. You are not testifying to the truth of God. God has already testified to the truth. You are stepping out onto a promise that has already been made.

If you did not believe in gravity, and I said, trust me, you can walk without flying into the sky, would you refuse to do it because to do so would be "lying"? It isn't about you and what you think reality is, it's about an objective state of independent reality.

Pray for us, O Holy Mother of God, that we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ
Old Jan 19, '09, 3:03 pm

Pathia,

Read the diary of St. Faustina Kowalska. http://www.our.homewithgod.com/divinemercy/

Also I would recommend praying the rosary and asking Mother Mary to intercede on your behalf. Tell her what you are feeling and you need help.
Old Jan 19, '09, 6:35 pm

Send a message via Yahoo to goofyjim

They should stay celibate or find an understanding person of the opposite gender who would marry them. But they should not have to be secretive about it their whole lives. This creates a burden of having to go it alone which noone should have to do. There is nothing to fear in the orientation alone. It is only the actions that cause problems. As far as the mental illness they can lead balanced lvies like anyone else. The orientation should not be considered some illness which needs to be medically treated.
Old Jan 21, '09, 5:46 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean8 View Post
The Bible teaches us about all sexuals sins. See Rom.1:18-32
Take the sin of stealing.If a persons repents and turns away from this sin, he is no longer regarded as a thief.
The same can be said of a homosexual. This is a chosen lifesytle. God didn't create you this way. You can't blame the Lord.
Repent and sin no more. If a woman is so replusive to you I guess you have brought this on yourself. You have two choices, be celibate or find a nice lady to love. and marry her. Many men have done this.
Jesus said, "go and sin no more", to the woman caught in the sin of adultery. I have have always wondered why the man in this story wasn't mentioned. Was he to be stoned?
Heterosexuals are not to be sexually active either. Rom.1 covers this area also. So you see, we all have our cross to bear.

God bless you as you search for God's truth,
jean8
Homosexuality is NOT a chosen orientation. No one in their right mind would choose such a thing. There are constitutional homosexuals who are totally incapable of change. They like all heterosexual singles must remain celibate. One can choose to live a homosexual lifestyle (even if they are heterosexual). I have know such individuals. Some have come from toxic heterosexual marriages or relationships and choose to live homosexually. These are rare but do occur.

Courage and other such groups can help homosexuals live chaste lives but to say that it is a chosen orientation is to do a great injustice to our homosexual brothers and sisters.

Your comment about a homosexual finding women so repulsive tells me you know little or nothing of the orientation and need to do some serious study and research into Catholic and other literature on the subject. Read Dr. Fitzgibbons and others for a start. Homosexuals do not find women repulsive but simply are incapable of having a committed loving relationship with them in a marital status. It is a huge mistake to encourage a homosexual to marry especially in a sordid attempt to change them into heterosexual. To do such a thing is to make two lives miserable ultimately in most cases. Using this logic, one who is diabetic should only marry another who is not diabetic and then they will change to non-diabetic also.

I hope you are not a DRE or other teacher in a formal setting within some parish or school. Please get your facts straight before you make such comments. They can be extremely harmful especially to those already carrying the heavy cross of homosexuality.

Blessings,

Doc
Old Jan 21, '09, 6:21 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean8 View Post
The same can be said of a homosexual. This is a chosen lifesytle. God didn't create you this way. You can't blame the Lord.
I would like to point out the official Catholic teaching, that homosexuality is inborn and intrinsically disordered. This emplies that homosexuality in itself is not a choice, only homosexual actions are. Please refer to the Chatechism on this issue before posting further. Thank you.
Old Jan 21, '09, 7:18 am

Send a message via AIM to ladybri77

Homosexuality is not a disease, it's part of our fallen sin nature. Evil came into the world as a result of our disobedience toward God in the garden, and man since then struggles with sin. Most often people develop homosexual tendencies from many things such as a deep hurt from the past, sexual violations to them in childhood, cold, absent or abusive fathers and mothers (we all need proper mothering and fathering to grow and nurture us into loving, mature adults).

Jesus teaches abstinence for all single adults. It's true, it is a cross, but it can be offered up to God for His greater glory. Ask Him for His Grace to help you overcome and ask what His will is for you. A homosexual can be used in powerful ways if he submits himself completely to Christ and His will for them. Blessings.
Old Jan 21, '09, 7:24 am

Send a message via AIM to ladybri77

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbc22488 View Post
I would like to point out the official Catholic teaching, that homosexuality is inborn and intrinsically disordered. This emplies that homosexuality in itself is not a choice, only homosexual actions are. Please refer to the Chatechism on this issue before posting further. Thank you.
I would like to disagree with you on this. The Catholic church does not say that this is inborn. It is a part of man's fallen nature, but no one is "born gay". This is a myth and has never been proven. You are right when you say that one does not choose homosexual desires (see post above), but one can choose his actions, and the actions are what is a sin according to the church's teachings. We all have a choice on how to act in any given situation.
Old Jan 21, '09, 7:36 am

Religion: catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbseeker View Post
I am curious about the teachings on homosexuality. Since homosexual acts are immoral, does that mean the homosexuals should not have sex forever?

Can they be priests?
Yes that means you should not have sex with the same sex. It also means that if you a a Cath. You may not recive Jesus un less you have gone first to Confession.
I am not sure about becomming a Priest.
Janet
Old Jan 21, '09, 7:45 am

I believe that hetrosexuals should not have sex with homosexuals as that is the way I believe the Bible should be intrepreted. Now homosexuals should not be promiscuous anymore than Hetrosexuals but I think they are more active as it is much more convient for them. (Read any Homosexual paper). Of course a single life is preferred but if it means a disatrous way of life choose the way of life that is better. The Catholic church leaves it up to our conscience to decide what is right and the church also says choose the lesser evil or the better good.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology