Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 27, '17, 7:46 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Homosexuality as a psychological abnormality?

Interesting read. Personally I think God made us to have that attraction to the opposite sex. Our bodies are designed that way and it must offend God greatly the way homosexuality is being glamourized nowadays especially by the media and celebrities. For me personally I don't have any issue with a gay person but I do think if they live that lifestyle they are harming their soul greatly.
Old Apr 27, '17, 10:48 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Therese11 I agree 100% with your post. We can each choose to do wrong with any good God gives to us.
Old Apr 27, '17, 2:12 pm

Religion: catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by victrolatim View Post
"at9009"'s post was one of the most well thought out responses I have read.
That's exactly what I thought.
Old Apr 30, '17, 8:27 pm
Forum Elder

Hi victrolatim. Yes, it doesn't make sense to me either when some conservatives say that being gay is a choice -- heck, as a conservative myself I just find that embarrassing.
Old May 1, '17, 2:40 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

The choice is not being heterosexual or homosexual or having a heterosexual or homosexual attraction ---------the CHOICE is how you live with whatever you are. As a Roman Catholic I just know that unless you are married (one man to one woman) you must live a chaste life. Even married (one man to one woman) you have to live within your marriage vows. If you are a single heterosexual, a single homosexual or if you are in a relationship but not married you must live a chaste life. Now before you say Oh that is too simplistic or goody goody, that is what God wants from us. He gave marriage ONLY for one man and one woman to be united for life. Outside of that all must live chaste lives. That is not so hard to understand. If you don't agree with that fine go your own way but don't step on my beliefs and my right to state those beliefs. I don't say that a chaste life outside of marriage is easy or fun or the "in" thing but it is the best thing for your soul and YES it is possible. Many do it each and every day.
Old May 9, '17, 3:08 pm
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kozlosap View Post
A really great way to try and end the intolerance and bigotry towards any group is to imagine how you would feel if the person being mocked or just thought of as inferior, is your 15 year old son or daughter. It should put some things into perspective for you.
So often we hear these days "I just want him/her to be happy". A well meaning thought for sure. But so often it is employed as a euphemism for the "ends justify the means", an idea grossly at odds with Catholic teaching.
Old May 10, '17, 11:42 am
Forum Elder

at9009 explained it all very well. I don't think there will ever be a point where scientists will discover one single cause. As with many things in life, it's a little more complicated than that. Arguments that try to reduce it to merely genetic or merely a choice miss the mark.

I can understand why people do that. By nature, we like to make sense of the world around us, and categorizing things and putting them in neat little boxes makes it easier for us to do that. But that seldom tells the whole story.

Also, I'll just point out that just because something is psychological doesn't mean there is no biological component. There is such a thing as biological psychology (AKA behavioral neuroscience). As John Paul II would state, human beings are psycho-somatic unities—a union of body and soul. The two are intimately connected. We like to separate in order to analyze and understand, but, in the end, they are intertwined.

I'm not sure how many scientific studies are being done on this. I'm out of that loop.

The Catechesis of the Popes

–Proverbs 18:2
Old Jun 7, '17, 7:54 pm

Religion: catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otar Mendes View Post
It's perfectly normal for homo sapiens species and other highly evolved species especially our closest relatives.

Say what?

Do you know that sexual relationships among highly evolved animals and human species play a much more complex role than just procreation? In fact, procreation is NOT at the top of the list considering how often and for what reasons highly evolved animals and human species have sex.Read something about it.It is not as simple as some Catholics try to paint it.

That's a very good book however what you've said is pretty close to an intentional lie.

\the process was much more complex than that.

There were studies. Proper studies unlike back then when they"studied" only inmates, psychos etc. I mean this way you could declare heterosexuals ill. And finally,

1) the opponents(mostly religious ones lol) of removing homosexuality from DSm failed several times scientific debates coz of lack of any evidence

2) the opponents of removing homosexuality from DSM found a loophole in the APA documents and initiated the political voting after they lost scientific debates.

Now this one is a fact.

Read the book you posted a link to.

So, no, dear sir, you attempts to discredit the removal of homosexuality from DSM and twist the history of APA won't be left unchallenged and unnoticed.
Animals don't have the moral law that says "these are physical boundaries and this is private" and are non moral beings so why do people say gay animals exist?
Old Jun 11, '17, 10:20 pm

I'm Catholic and accept all of the teachings. I live my life according to the teachings of the Catholic Church. I didn't always live my life this way, but I do know and have for about 3 years. After I post this, I'm not coming back to this thread, because, honestly, I don't care to see the questions people ask or what they accuse me of based on my experiences.

I never talk about my sexuality, and it seems that unless you're straight within the Church that you're really not supposed to label yourself, from the way that I've been treated in the past as "Same Sex Attracted" i.e "Mentally Ill" That maybe true, but if I'm ever completely honest with myself, I'm a lesbian and I've been about 99% sure of that since I was 13, because I've been attracted to other girls my entire life, before I even know what gay was. I was raised in a very conservative family and area. It certainly isn't a choice, I internally went through emotional hell as a young teen, it was a living nightmare, I couldn't imagine "why me" Is it a psychological abnormality? Maybe, probably, but I fail to realize why that's always the main question among Catholics. To "fix" people? What is wrong with someone's calling being out of the ordinary? Why does someone with a different struggle than yours automatically need medication or therapy to "balance their chemicals"? I have had such a content life these past three years, never feeling the need or want of a relationship. Am I still attracted to women? Yes, but like anyone else I can control that and someone suggesting that despite living my life according to Church teaching, that I'm not living it correctly is quite insulting. In my experience, because there's so few Catholics choosing to live this way, those of us that do are looked on with much superstition and there's been situations where I almost feel like a circus animal. People are so concerned with *why* people are gay, that they never give advice to Catholics that are actually experiencing same sex attractions. It's always spoken as an "us" vs "them" situation.
- St. Thérèse of Lisieux

Via, Veritas, Vita.
Old Jun 11, '17, 10:26 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Jewish

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOM View Post
Until the 1950s, homosexuality was considered a "psychological disorder". The reasons for removing it from that list are somewhat disputed but this link may be instructive.

http://www.aglp.org/gap/1_history/
Actually homosexuality was removed from the DSM (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Psychological Disorders) in 1973, except for ego-dystonic homosexuality. What did change earlier was the treatment for homosexuals, which used to be aversion therapy.
Old Jun 12, '17, 6:23 pm
Veteran Member

Religion: Catholic - revert in 1993

I believe that all homosexual sex, along with much of heterosexual sex, is abusive. Sexual pleasure comes from the lower-ordered desires which are most primitive in nature. Why not go for the gold and seek out the Seven Gifts of the Holy Spirit which are free and are of much higher-ordered forms of pleasure?

Earthly wisdom is the booby-prize in this life, but it still has advantages over our usual day-to-day vanities!
Old Jun 12, '17, 6:33 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunJoy65 View Post
The choice is not being heterosexual or homosexual or having a heterosexual or homosexual attraction ---------the CHOICE is how you live with whatever you are. As a Roman Catholic I just know that unless you are married (one man to one woman) you must live a chaste life. Even married (one man to one woman) you have to live within your marriage vows. If you are a single heterosexual, a single homosexual or if you are in a relationship but not married you must live a chaste life. Now before you say Oh that is too simplistic or goody goody, that is what God wants from us. He gave marriage ONLY for one man and one woman to be united for life. Outside of that all must live chaste lives. That is not so hard to understand. If you don't agree with that fine go your own way but don't step on my beliefs and my right to state those beliefs. I don't say that a chaste life outside of marriage is easy or fun or the "in" thing but it is the best thing for your soul and YES it is possible. Many do it each and every day.

Well said. Thank you.

Ed
Old Jun 15, '17, 4:25 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunJoy65 View Post
Honestly I think a lot of people were individually hurt by someone of the opposite gender and that put into their minds that if that person of that gender was like this then they all must be like that. So they try the same gender find sympathy and stay with what they feel is a secure environment. Honestly I think it has to be psychological. God made us male and female and the two were never meant to be attracted to the same gender for obvious reasons. I pray for them and I pray that all unmarried people whether heterosexual or homosexual live chaste lives. That's what God intends.
I agree with Lea that your view is an oversimplification of SSA. If that were the case a lot of people who have been mistreated by a member of the opposite sex would have SSA. As it stands, the number of people remain in the minority and remain fairly constant.

It may apply to some but not even to a majority.

I am leaning towards hormones and how they affect the brain.
Old Jun 15, '17, 6:01 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcelle View Post
I agree with Lea that your view is an oversimplification of SSA. If that were the case a lot of people who have been mistreated by a member of the opposite sex would have SSA. As it stands, the number of people remain in the minority and remain fairly constant.

It may apply to some but not even to a majority.

I am leaning towards hormones and how they affect the brain.
So here is a thing with hormones. Let's say for argument's sake it is a hormonal thing that is the ultimate cause, but what caused the hormonal imbalance? Some possible etiologies:

1. There could be a hormonal imbalance from mom in utero during the pregnancy that leads to the issue.
2. There could be a genetic mutation that causes a change in the child's hormone expression that can manifest as changes in utero, during early childhood, or as changes observed when puberty occurs.
3. It could be hormonal issue due to environmental or chemical exposures that can occur at any point leading to the change.
4. It could be physical trauma or malformation affecting the hormonal balance in the body.
5. It could still be a combination of genetics, in utero development and environment, environmental exposures during childhood, etc.

It's also, at this point, incredibly difficult to test for this things since we lack the basic science understanding of how attractions and the full pathway develop to begin with. With this lack of understanding (which is true on other things as well like personality and intelligence), it is very difficult to determine any etiologies. At best, most research, at this point, can show correlational studies which do not imply causality but just show mere associations.
Old Jun 16, '17, 12:42 pm
Forum Elder

Daniel Mattson's new book, titled “Why I Don't Call Myself Gay,” may add to the discussion. In an interview with Catholic World Report about the book, he says this:
“I tried practicing the world’s view of sexuality. For a time, I considered myself “gay” and lived out that life. I rejected the Church’s teaching as archaic, outdated and unreasonable. This book is a way I can share my story in greater detail than I was able to in the documentary. I discovered that labels such as “gay” impoverish our view of the human person.”
The full interview is here.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > The Water Cooler > Back Fence