Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Eastern Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jan 7, '09, 3:31 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Online Ukrainian Byzantine Catholic Resources

Pax et Bonum!

These fora have been so very helpful in the past, I'd like to put out yet another request for assistance.

I need the rubrics and text (Ukrainian and English) for the Ukrainian Byzantine Catholic Divine Liturgy; can anyone tell me if there is an online source for this?

Is there anywhere an online glossary of terms used in the Ukrainian Byzantine Catholic divine liturgy?

Please also respond to my personal e-mail address at [email protected] to ensure I receive your timely responses.

Thanks very much!
Peace and blessings to you all for 2009!

Harold

Last edited by hvadney; Jan 7, '09 at 3:32 pm. Reason: Clarify Titel
Old Jan 7, '09, 4:50 pm

Religion: Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church
Default Re: Online Ukrainian Byzantine Catholic Resources

There is no online source approved by the Synod in English for the 1988 Synodal translation. It is, however, available in print either through purchasing just the pew book, or the Anthology. Both the pew book and the Anthology are available through Byzantine Church Supplies, an outreach of the Ukrainian Catholic Cathedral in Philadelphia.

http://ukrcathedral.com/church_supplies.html

Господи Помилуй
Old Jan 8, '09, 7:41 am

Regarding a glossary of terms, the PSALM site has a glossary: http://www.orthodoxpsalm.org/resourc...ssary/a-e.html
The Holy Trinity site also has a glossary:
http://www.holy-trinity.org/liturgic...-glossary.html

The Alberta Bevolent Cantor's Association has a nice discussion of rubrics and information according to the Kyivan tradition:
http://www.albertacantors.ca/resourc...al-rubrics.asp
http://www.albertacantors.ca/resourc...to-rubrics.asp

Several Ukrainian Catholic sites with good informational material:
St. Elias: http://www.saintelias.com/ca/index.php
St. Irenaeus Mission Society: http://stirenaeus.net
English-language home page for the Patriarchal Synod:
http://www.ugcc.org.ua/index.php?L=2

Господи Помилуй
Old Jan 8, '09, 6:00 pm

Gospody pomeelooy!
Pax et Bonum!

Diak: Thank you and bless you for your most appreciated generosity and guidance to these most informative and helpful sites! I am overwhelmed by the vastness of knowledge available on these sites and revel in delight of the accessibility to such important resources that are invaluable in my formation.

I pray that peace and blessings be yours! May the Almighty God Father, Son bless you and may the Holy Spirit fill you with her wonderful gifts always, and may the angels accompany you and safeguard you in all that you do in the name of the Trinity and in leading a gospel life!

+ Harold

P.s. Diak: Are you a deacon in the Byzantine rite? I am in discernment for the diaconate in the Latin rite but I have reservations about our bishop (he's saddeningly liberal) and have discussed seeking dual faculties in both the Latin and Byzantine (Ukrainian) rite with a Franciscan priest and Byzantine archymandrite (is that correct) at our friary. He suggested that I seek ordination in the Byzantine rite diaconate and then apply for faculties with the Latin rite bishop. I have no problem with that (assuming my candidacy is approved and I come to ordination). What is your impression? If you have any thoughts, please let's discuss this privately at [email protected].
H.
Old Jan 8, '09, 6:06 pm

Religion: Byzantine Catholic - Ruthenian Church

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvadney View Post

P.s. Diak: Are you a deacon in the Byzantine rite? I am in discernment for the diaconate in the Latin rite but I have reservations about our bishop (he's saddeningly liberal) and have discussed seeking dual faculties in both the Latin and Byzantine (Ukrainian) rite with a Franciscan priest and Byzantine archymandrite (is that correct) at our friary. He suggested that I seek ordination in the Byzantine rite diaconate and then apply for faculties with the Latin rite bishop. I have no problem with that (assuming my candidacy is approved and I come to ordination). What is your impression? If you have any thoughts, please let's discuss this privately at [email protected].
H.
Gospodi Pomiluij!

Canon law requires you to be ordained within the rite you are enrolled in.

And Diak is a deacon.
Old Jan 9, '09, 5:33 am

Default Byzantine Catholic Diaconate

Good morning!

I'm sure Diak can give me some good pointers on this inquiry but I'll throw it into the arena and perhaps we can get a productive discussion going.

As I've mentioned, I am in discernment for the diaconate in the Latin rite. I've recently become very interested in the Byzantine (Ukrainian) Catholic rite and have enlisted the support and tutelage of an archimandrite who has faculties in both the Latin and Byzantine rites. I'm very blessed by this unique opportunity.

Rather than occupy our discussions on rubrics, liturgy, and theology matters I'd like to discuss here the general norms for formation of the Byzantine Catholic church in America with any persons in formation or already ordained to the Byzantine diaconate.

I suppose we should start with the basics and the question of when the permanent diaconate was (re)established in the BC and what are the canonical documents governing the pd in the BC.

Thanks very much!

Harold
Old Jan 9, '09, 8:16 am

Christ is Born! Glorify Him!
Христос народився! Славімо Його!

Dear Harold, yes, I am a deacon in the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church (we often abbreviate that as "UGCC" on this Forum to save keystrokes).

To partially answer your questions, we have deacons who are Latin-rite that assist us, and conversely we have deacons who also function occasionally in Latin parishes. I myself only function in the Ukrainian particular ritual tradition except on special occasions when specifically requested by the Latin archbishop to be a guest as a representative of the Eastern Catholic Churches.

I am of the opinion that one should be fully immersed and formed in the particular ritual tradition in which he is to be ordained and in which he will primarily serve. I am not a huge fan of biritualism. Anyway, I am willing to discuss any questions you may have via email or in person. I have sent a PM with more contact info. Since formation and discernment often include matters of spiritual life and some things generally not discussed on a public forum, I will discuss this with you privately.

God bless, Z'Bohom.
FDRLB

Господи Помилуй
Old Jan 23, '09, 10:15 am

Default Discernment, Aspirancy, Formation for the Diaconate

Hello, Diak!

I apologize for not getting back to you sooner. I am very interested in discussing with you some details about the permanent diaconate in the Byzantine Catholic Church.

Since I posted my queries on this forum, I contacted the Eparchy of Stamford in whose jurisdiction St Nicholas (Hudson) is located but I have not received a reply.

In the meantime, I'd like to ask you to contact me at [email protected] so we an at least hook up privately to discuss some issues and questions.

Also, can you help with the following questions, greetings, responses (if you could provide the Ukrainian cyrilic as well, that would be very helpful)?

When meeting someone from the parish:
When meeting the parish priest:
When meeting the archimandrite:
When leaving:

Asking for a blessing:
After the blessing:

What are the usual words used in the Byzantine Catholic blessing?

When writing to my mentor, an archimandrite, I use the words in the salutation: Bless, Father (instead of Dear ...). What is the Ukrainian for that espression?

When concluding I close with, "I kiss your right hand." Do you know the Ukrainian for that expression?

I have frequently heard the response "[something] slavo" in response to a greeting. Do you have any clue as to what the entire phrase would be?

Thanks very much!

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Eastern Catholicism