Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Jan 15, '09, 7:10 pm

Default What should a homosexual person do

I am curious about the teachings on homosexuality. Since homosexual acts are immoral, does that mean the homosexuals should not have sex forever?

Can they be priests?
Old Jan 15, '09, 7:31 pm

Religion: LCMS
Default Re: What should a homosexual person do

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbseeker View Post
I am curious about the teachings on homosexuality. Since homosexual acts are immoral, does that mean the homosexuals should not have sex forever?

Can they be priests?
The Bible teaches us about all sexuals sins. See Rom.1:18-32
Take the sin of stealing.If a persons repents and turns away from this sin, he is no longer regarded as a thief.
The same can be said of a homosexual. This is a chosen lifesytle. God didn't create you this way. You can't blame the Lord.
Repent and sin no more. If a woman is so replusive to you I guess you have brought this on yourself. You have two choices, be celibate or find a nice lady to love. and marry her. Many men have done this.
Jesus said, "go and sin no more", to the woman caught in the sin of adultery. I have have always wondered why the man in this story wasn't mentioned. Was he to be stoned?
Heterosexuals are not to be sexually active either. Rom.1 covers this area also. So you see, we all have our cross to bear.

God bless you as you search for God's truth,
jean8
Old Jan 15, '09, 7:31 pm

Religion: Catholic
Send a message via Yahoo to Hey_Jude

Always ask a lay leader first. Then ask your priest. Homosexuals have homo-sex?? No. Forever? Yes. Same as someone in my situation - single. No sex outside of marriage. Pretty simple really. It's abstinence. Get used to it. I did. God bless.
Old Jan 15, '09, 7:38 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
According to the Catechism of the Catholic Church:
These persons are called to fulfill God's will in their lives and, if they are Christians, to unite to the sacrifice of the Lord's Cross the difficulties they may encounter from their condition. Homosexual persons are called to chastity. By the virtues of self-mastery that teach them inner freedom, at times by the support of disinterested friendship, by prayer and sacramental grace, they can and should gradually and resolutely approach Christian perfection. (2358-2359)
Quote:
Can they be priests?
Check out this article, which cites the Instruction Concerning the Criteria for the Discernment of Vocations with regard to Persons with Homosexual Tendencies in view of their Admission to the Seminary and to Holy Orders.
Old Jan 15, '09, 7:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean8 View Post
The Bible teaches us about all sexuals sins. See Rom.1:18-32
Take the sin of stealing.If a persons repents and turns away from this sin, he is no longer regarded as a thief.
The same can be said of a homosexual. This is a chosen lifesytle. God didn't create you this way. You can't blame the Lord.
Repent and sin no more. If a woman is so replusive to you I guess you have brought this on yourself. You have two choices, be celibate or find a nice lady to love. and marry her. Many men have done this.
Jesus said, "go and sin no more", to the woman caught in the sin of adultery. I have have always wondered why the man in this story wasn't mentioned. Was he to be stoned?
Heterosexuals are not to be sexually active either. Rom.1 covers this area also. So you see, we all have our cross to bear.

God bless you as you search for God's truth,
jean8

I would say that acting on homosexual desires is a choice which would be comparable to an alcholic taking a drink (leading to drunkeness which is a mortal sin). Being an alcoholic is not a choice just as being a homosexual is likely not a choice either. That doesn't mean just because we have an internal desire towards something it's OK to indulge in it. On the contrary, that individual must fight much harder to overcome those desires or addictions. They may or may not ever go away but with God's help we don't have to act on them.
Old Jan 15, '09, 8:19 pm

Religion: RC

Complicated question.

We're all sinners, and some of us for whatever reason are attracted and drawn to all sorts of sin...that is our cross to bear.

Some of us are alcoholics, some substance abusers, masturbators, adulterers, child abusers, pedophiles and yes, homosexuals.

So yes, homosexually oriented persons should avoid such sin.

Those who are oriented towards homosexuality are currently allowed into the priesthood, as such an orientation might compromise their ministry.
Old Jan 15, '09, 8:30 pm
Banned
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Beltany13

I think whether or not one can choose his or her sexual orientation is a foregone conclusion. I did not wake up one day and decide to be a heterosexual, so I can only surmise that homosexual persons, in general, do not decide their orientation.

However, I've researched the issue quite a bit and it's been proven that homosexuals are more likely than heterosexuals to develop a mental illness. Some argue this is because of all the "hate and discrimination" they face; upon closer inspection, this argument fails.

A Dutch Study concluded that homosexuals in the Netherlands (a very accepting society) were also more at risk. (http://archpsyc.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/full/58/1/85)

The implication these studies make are simple: Homosexuality itself may in fact be a mental illness. Given that, I think the alcoholism analogy above was very good. Being an alcoholic is not a choice, but a disease. Is homosexuality a disease? The APA and several other notable organizations say no. Groups like NARTH and studies like the one above indicate that it may be.

Who knows? God.

The bottom line, however, is simple: Engaging in homosexual sex is a choice - period. The Bible says it is a sin, and if you believe the Bible is inerrant, then it is a sin.

We all sin. I sin. You sin. All of us. I guess what matters, truly, is whether or not we repent and refrain from sinning over and over. Going out and having gay sex then dropping to one knee, praying and asking for forgiveness, then doing it all over again probably won't cut it. You have to change your ways. If you can't change your orientation (and some research suggests that you can), then perhaps abstinence is your only recourse.

God Bless.
Old Jan 16, '09, 5:22 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beltany13 View Post

We all sin. I sin. You sin. All of us. I guess what matters, truly, is whether or not we repent and refrain from sinning over and over. Going out and having gay sex then dropping to one knee, praying and asking for forgiveness, then doing it all over again probably won't cut it. You have to change your ways. If you can't change your orientation (and some research suggests that you can), then perhaps abstinence is your only recourse.

God Bless.
Yes, I agree. I've been a recovering alcoholic for five years, I have not relapsed once. That doesn't mean there weren't times where I was tempted but I knew that my only chance at survival and salvation was total abstinence. Others in the program have relapsed a number of times, come back and kept up the good fight. Still others have fallen victim to the disease of alcoholism and are currently suffering or died. Is the alcoholic who does not recover before death destined for Hell? I don't know, only God knows our hearts. I think HE gives us just enough of what we need to overcome sin so long as we are willing to follow HIS will. I would think the same principles apply to homesexuality (lust), obesity (gluttony), gambling addiction (greed), etc. One thing to note is that abstinence obviously isn't possible for a person battling obesity, however I'm in the field of bariatric surgery and I can say that this procedure has allowed many suffering individuals a means to overcome their addiction. Keep in mind there is a mental aspect to any physical addiction and this must be addressed as well.
Old Jan 16, '09, 7:03 am

Religion: RCIA
Send a message via Yahoo to Christine Lee

The no homo-sex ever is a tough one, especially when trying to explain it to a nonbeliever. But in my situation I came to terms that God's perfect and eternal love is worth giving up the homosexual lifestyle. I decided that if I can't find a good man to love than I shall willingly live the rest of my years celibately.
Old Jan 16, '09, 10:27 am

Quote:

Can they be priests?
They are like priests in that they are called to celibacy.

Gay or straight, the Church teaches you aren't supposed to have sexual relations with anyone except your spouse.

The Church also teaches that you can't marry someone of the same sex.

Conclusion: You can only have sex with your spouse and your spouse can only be someone of the opposite sex.

Homosexuals are not to be ordained. They are asked prior to their ordination if they are homosexual and if they are they cannot become Priests. If a homosexual becomes a Priest the person lied about it, or the person responsible for their vocation didn't do their job properly.
Old Jan 16, '09, 10:40 am

stay celebate!
"But if I should be delayed, you should know how to behave in the household of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and foundation of truth." 1 Tim 3:15

Old Jan 16, '09, 2:31 pm
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member

Religion: Roman Catholic

If I were young and deciding (as much as possible ) my future, I would follow the Church teachings that say that there should be no sex outside of marriage (marriage being defined as between man and woman). I would try to avail myself of whatever help I could - Courage Apostolate is dedicated to following the Magisterium in attaining chastity (and, for about a third of members, normalizing their sexual orientation). I would make the Blessed Virgin Mary my personal helpmeet and I would try to make use of myself to my parish in a way that is orthodox and helpful. Probably, knowing me, I would also look to discerning if the eremetical (consecrated hermit) life is one to which the Lord is calling me.

"...and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God?" Micah 6:8
Old Jan 16, '09, 3:58 pm

Religion: RCIA
Send a message via Yahoo to Christine Lee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06convert View Post
Homosexuals are not to be ordained. They are asked prior to their ordination if they are homosexual and if they are they cannot become Priests. If a homosexual becomes a Priest the person lied about it, or the person responsible for their vocation didn't do their job properly.
What if your like me and you were attracted to only one person of the same sex? I've always liked boys and I still do. But just that one time I was attracted to a girl. But of course I had to deny myself of those feelings for they would separate me from God. Could a person like me still be ordained?
Old Jan 16, '09, 4:44 pm

I have always felt very sorry for people who are homosexual. I have never understood why others revile them or blame them. They have a disordered condition that prevents them from marrying, but perhaps as a great blessing to them and to the world, they are called to a single life. We need more chaste, single people in the world. I wish the Church would value that potential, and evangelize homosexuals specifically because the Church values their potential contribution as workers who are not tied down with family commitments.

Here is an excellent article on the Catholic position on homosexuality.
http://www.catholic.com/thisrock/2008/0809dr.asp

Contrary to what one of the first posters stated, the Church does not attempt to change homosexuals into heterosexuals. The Church takes no position on what causes the condition, because science has taken no position. The Church teaches that they are valuable people who are called to a single life of service. We should also have great compassion for their heavy crosses, especially when they earnestly and sincerely desire to live a chaste life.

Pray for us, O Holy Mother of God, that we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ
Old Jan 16, '09, 4:46 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine Lee View Post
Could a person like me still be ordained?
If you are thinking of becoming a nun or sister, you're probably fine.
Here is a post from a Carmelite Brother on the topic.
http://forums.catholic.com/showpost....44&postcount=7

Note: SSA= Same Sex Attraction
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology