Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Faith and Finances: 2014

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jan 28, '14, 10:10 am

Religion: Latin Rite Catholic
Default Re: Tension between giving to the Church and to own children

I agree with others who say that it is a real blessing to our children to help them avoid student loan debt as much as possible. That is our goal for our children.

There are several ways to limit college expenses - Xantippe has already listed a few.

Starting in community college and then transferring can be a great money saver. Especially if that also means that the student can continue to live at home for that year or two. Here our community college has a guarenteed transfer program to state schools for students who maintain a certain grade point average and a few other criteria. Its also important to manke sure you are taking course at the CC that will transfer to required courses at your target school. You don't save as much if you still have to take basic requirements when you get to the more expensive school.

My daughter is a good student and was able to take a hefty load of AP classes in high school that transferred to required courses at her university. That is one way to get college credit for almost no cost at all. Again, make sure you know what your target school's requirements are - schools aren't required to accept AP credits.

Of course, working during the summer and in high school to save money. Then working while in school. I recommend on acmpus employment because while they may limit hours, they also usually pay better and will work around student schedules.

We are blessed to be able to continue to give the charity as well. It seems to me the best plan is to sit down with your finances and come up with a budget that includes both. The early savings plans and guarenteed tuition programs can help a lot. Parents that start saving early, can put aside money for both tuition and charity as their children grow.

Giving through your time and talent is important also, particularly if you teach your children to be charitable as they are growing up.
Old Jan 28, '14, 10:17 am

Religion: Catholic - Roman Rite
Arrow Re: Tension between giving to the Church and to own children

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellow8yellowM View Post
I would like to open a discussion on the tension or conflict one may have between giving money to the Church and saving money for your family (college education, etc.).

Where do you draw the line? Do you save enough for undergraduate, or enough for undergraduate + medical school? Or do you tithe first and save the rest for college? Or do you give the whole savings to charity and let the kids earn their way through college themselves?

In my opinion, it seems that most people can rationalize not giving enough to the Church by saying that they are giving their kids a good life. I don't get the feeling that they are really thinking this through but only blindly following what the world does. It may not be wrong, but I think it should be thought about more.
I don't think you need to make a choice between saving for college and giving to the Church. For both, you do everything you can. If you can honestly say that you are doing the best you can, then I think that's fine. And remember, your kids have access to financial aid, work-study, part time jobs, scholarships, state colleges, living at home, etc. The Parish really only has one source of income.

I'm college educated, lived on Campus, etc. My college experiences lead me away from the Faith for a while.

So to be frank, what good is a great college education if the child abandons Christ or the Faith? What good does having a college degree have in Heaven? In today's society, we are very obsessed with the "here and now," just like the Pharisees.

The example you set as a parent will play a major role in how your child does when he/she has children. Putting God before everything else on this Earth is a pretty good example, one I wish my parents would have set for me growing up.

I hope this is helpful. God Bless.
Old Jan 28, '14, 10:43 am
Forum Master

Religion: Catholic

pensmama87,

I wasn't talking about parents not wanting to fill out the actual FAFSA forms, but refusing to provide the income information necessary for filling them out, usually because of "privacy" issues. I've seen people mention this problem many times over the years. (I have since begun to suspect that a lot of the parents who do that are trying to hide shady financial practices--for instance tax evasion.)

I went to a private college back in the day, and at least back then the need-based aid provided by doing the FAFSA made a considerable difference--the first three years of my schooling were pretty much free. (That was $25k a year back in the early 90s.)
Old Jan 28, '14, 10:58 am
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xantippe View Post
pensmama87,

I wasn't talking about parents not wanting to fill out the actual FAFSA forms, but refusing to provide the income information necessary for filling them out, usually because of "privacy" issues. I've seen people mention this problem many times over the years. (I have since begun to suspect that a lot of the parents who do that are trying to hide shady financial practices--for instance tax evasion.)

I went to a private college back in the day, and at least back then the need-based aid provided by doing the FAFSA made a considerable difference--the first three years of my schooling were pretty much free. (That was $25k a year back in the early 90s.)
Thanks - I see what you're saying.

So the need-based aid was not just loans? Granted, your income situation was probably a lot different than mine, but the only thing I got that I wouldn't have without the FAFSA was a work-study. All the other "free" money I got was merit-based, and the rest was loans (except the small amount that I paid myself.)
Old Jan 28, '14, 11:11 am
Forum Master

"So the need-based aid was not just loans? Granted, your income situation was probably a lot different than mine, but the only thing I got that I wouldn't have without the FAFSA was a work-study. All the other "free" money I got was merit-based, and the rest was loans (except the small amount that I paid myself.)"

Nope--there was a nice fat chunk of need-based aid in there, along with loans, work study, merit scholarships, probably a Pell Grant and so forth. My family was fairly low-income when I was applying for college and my mom had cancer (she recovered), and we didn't have health insurance so there was a lot of out-of-pocket medical expenses. Good news, bad news, I guess.

It has been 20 years, of course.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Faith and Finances: 2014