Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Mar 20, '17, 4:38 pm
Veteran Member

Religion: Cradle Catholic
Default Re: Catholics/non-Catholics and sin

Quote:
Originally Posted by drac16 View Post
I'm a christian who recently came out of Islam (I was a muslim for six years). I can honestly say that my daily struggle with lust is much easier to deal with. When a desire to sin arises, I can set my mind on Jesus being crucified. I find myself greatly moved when I picture Him on the cross because it was my sin that nailed Him to the cross in the first place. In Islam, it's all about you overcoming sin on your own. Whereas with Christianity, it's about coming helplessly before the Lord and surrendering all. He alone can deliver me from my own pathetic efforts to fight sin.
If I could ask, what got you to consider Christianity? What were you before Islam?
Old Mar 20, '17, 10:25 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve b View Post
If I could ask, what got you to consider Christianity? What were you before Islam?
OK, those are two very different questions.

1) What got me into Christianity was the fact that the crucifixion of Christ is, by every serious historian, accepted as a real event in history (Islam denies the crucifixion altogether). Moreover, there were things about Muhammad that I had a tough time explaining. For one thing, he said that all apostates should be killed. He also had nine wives at a time, even though the Qur'an allows only a maximum of four at a time. I look back on that and now I realize that it was the Holy Spirit guiding me to the truth of the matter; Muhammad was addicted to violence and sex.

2) Before I was a muslim, I was an atheist.
Old Mar 20, '17, 10:47 pm

Religion: καθολικός

Quote:

1) What got me into Christianity was the fact that the crucifixion of Christ is, by every serious historian, accepted as a real event in history (Islam denies the crucifixion altogether). Moreover, there were things about Muhammad that I had a tough time explaining. For one thing, he said that all apostates should be killed. He also had nine wives at a time, even though the Qur'an allows only a maximum of four at a time. I look back on that and now I realize that it was the Holy Spirit guiding me to the truth of the matter; Muhammad was addicted to violence and sex.

Drac, I am amazed to see all of this. Welcome.

If I seem to be obtrusive, please forgive me but does this mean you no longer believe that Ismael was taken to the mountain? That it was indeed Isaac?

God bless you and peace with you.

MJ

My Lord and My God
Old Mar 20, '17, 11:19 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinJordan View Post
Drac, I am amazed to see all of this. Welcome.

If I seem to be obtrusive, please forgive me but does this mean you no longer believe that Ismael was taken to the mountain? That it was indeed Isaac?

God bless you and peace with you.

MJ
Yes, I believe it was Isaac because that's what the Bible says. Paul talks about Isaac in the book of Galatians.
Old Mar 21, '17, 12:16 am

Quote:
Yes, I believe it was Isaac because that's what the Bible says. Paul talks about Isaac in the book of Galatians.
Wonderful! As God said it, that's why it is in the Bible.
And Paul knew his history.

MJ

My Lord and My God
Old Mar 21, '17, 12:36 pm
Veteran Member

Quote:

Thanks for your answer.
Old Mar 21, '17, 4:20 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic

Quote:

Old Mar 21, '17, 5:21 pm

Quote:
I find myself greatly moved when I picture Him on the cross because it was my sin that nailed Him to the cross in the first place.
Drac, sorry I snipped off most your words but just to focus on the above, do you now keep a crucifix as a reminder to help you avoid sin or just the thought of him (visualize in your mind) ?

MJ

My Lord and My God
Old Mar 21, '17, 5:38 pm
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinJordan View Post
Drac, sorry I snipped off most your words but just to focus on the above, do you now keep a crucifix as a reminder to help you avoid sin or just the thought of him (visualize in your mind) ?

MJ
I don't have any icons or crucifixes, but that will probably change in the near future. There's a christian bookstore near my house and they sell all kinds of cool looking icons. I have a picture of the Ka'aba and a sticker that says "I Love Allah", but since I am no longer a muslim, I will take them down.

To make a long story short, I am OK with icons and crucifixes, but only to a small degree. I don't think I necessarily need icons to help me focus during prayer, but it might help. However, I think it can be dangerous to put a lot of emphasis on paintings, artwork, crucifixes and icons. God is far more glorious than a mere crucifix can portray. When you have an idea in your head that God is a white-skinned brunette with blue eyes, it can be a problem.

If you have such a rigid view of what God looks like, it can be hard to see God in a prostitute, a loner, a widow or a homeless person. You should see God's creative work in everything; we are made in His image.
Old Mar 21, '17, 6:21 pm

Quote:
I don't have any icons or crucifixes, but that will probably change in the near future. There's a christian bookstore near my house and they sell all kinds of cool looking icons. I have a picture of the Ka'aba and a sticker that says "I Love Allah", but since I am no longer a muslim, I will take them down.

To make a long story short, I am OK with icons and crucifixes, but only to a small degree. I don't think I necessarily need icons to help me focus during prayer, but it might help. However, I think it can be dangerous to put a lot of emphasis on paintings, artwork, crucifixes and icons. God is far more glorious than a mere crucifix can portray. When you have an idea in your head that God is a white-skinned brunette with blue eyes, it can be a problem.

If you have such a rigid view of what God looks like, it can be hard to see God in a prostitute, a loner, a widow or a homeless person. You should see God's creative work in everything; we are made in His image.

Thanks Drac. I like what you wrote.

Peace be with you.

MJ

My Lord and My God
Old Mar 21, '17, 9:12 pm
Forum Master

Quote:

Your last line is so eloquent I had to repost it.

God Bless and well said,

Mary.
Old Mar 22, '17, 3:19 am

Quote:

Wow last line is very well put.

Thank you
For my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink. - John 6:55
Old Mar 22, '17, 12:22 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Struggling Catholic

When I first converted (about 18 months ago), I was very diligent about going to confession every week, I attended Mass as much as 5 days a week, and was more diligent about avoiding sin because of the desire to recieve Communion. And did this reduce my sinfulness? Yes it did. It also made me slightly scrupulous, self-righteous and obsessive. I was heavily involved in my parish. Unfortunately I suffered a lot of abuse from a few parishioners and I cut back on my activities in the parish and attended less as a result.
Numbers 6:24-26
Old Mar 22, '17, 12:51 pm
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter26 View Post
When I first converted (about 18 months ago), I was very diligent about going to confession every week, I attended Mass as much as 5 days a week, and was more diligent about avoiding sin because of the desire to recieve Communion. And did this reduce my sinfulness? Yes it did. It also made me slightly scrupulous, self-righteous and obsessive. I was heavily involved in my parish. Unfortunately I suffered a lot of abuse from a few parishioners and I cut back on my activities in the parish and attended less as a result.
Don't let a few in the parish discourage you from being focused on who you are focused on
Old Mar 22, '17, 3:30 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter26 View Post
Hi, thanks for sharing.

I keep in mind that except for the grace of God, there go I....prisoners, drug dealers, people enslaved by horrible sins...could be all of us if it weren't for God's grace. Applies to Catholics or Protestants, really.

So self righteousness has not been a problem of mine, thankfully. What has been a problem is racking my brain trying to determine if it's mortal or venial. But I have essentially came to the conclusion that losing a state of grace is not like losing our car keys. We really have to be fully aware of the gravity and situation for this to happen. And in addition to the Sacrament I still confess directly to God before going to confession..
For my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink. - John 6:55

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions