Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Mar 20, '17, 8:11 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Is There a Proper Way a Miscarried Baby Should Be Treated After Death?

This question just popped into my mind, and I'm not quite sure what the answer is. Take note that the baby in question would have died naturally, without outside influence.

Is there a proper way to "dispose" (I can't think of an alternate word) of the baby's remains?

Would it be appropriate to cremate the infant's remains and wear them in a locket? I've heard of one person who did this, and am curious if it is allowed under the Church's teachings.
Old Mar 20, '17, 9:20 pm

Default Re: Is There a Proper Way a Miscarried Baby Should Be Treated After Death?

A miscarried baby deserves the same respect as an adult that dies. They are both human lives, so should be both treated with the same respect. If possible, there should be a funeral mass and a burial in a Catholic cemetery. Many Catholic cemeteries have special areas for miscarried babies. The Church also allows cremation if needed. In both cases, burial is expected. I understand that very few families follow the Church's teaching on this, but every effort should be made to do what is right.
"The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak." ~Mt 26:41
If you have gained anything from my input, please pray for me.
Old Mar 20, '17, 10:36 pm

Default Re: Is There a Proper Way a Miscarried Baby Should Be Treated After Death?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheCat View Post
Would it be appropriate to cremate the infant's remains and wear them in a locket?
Cremate, maybe. Wear the ashes in a locket, no.

Recent guidelines from the Church (Instruction Ad resurgendum cum Christo regarding the burial of the deceased and the conservation of the ashes in the case of cremation) tell us that it is preferable that the body be buried, but if it is cremated, the ashes should be laid to rest in a sacred place such as a cemetery.

Furthermore, "it is not permitted to scatter the ashes of the faithful departed in the air, on land, at sea or in some other way, nor may they be preserved in mementos, pieces of jewelry or other objects."
Old Mar 21, '17, 4:58 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

It would also depend on what stage of life the baby is at when the miscarriage occurs. I believe that the vast majority of miscarriages happen before the woman even knows she's pregnant, and many times doesn't realize she had a miscarriage.
Old Mar 21, '17, 6:05 am

I've miscarried three babies. The first and third were miscarried very early; there was no discernible body and so I didn't do anything. I miscarried the second somewhere around 10 or 12 weeks. He had a very, very tiny translucent body that we put in a little ring box and buried in a Catholic cemetery without ceremony. I have masses said for all three each year.
Old Mar 21, '17, 8:10 am
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTheCat View Post
This question just popped into my mind, and I'm not quite sure what the answer is. Take note that the baby in question would have died naturally, without outside influence.

Is there a proper way to "dispose" (I can't think of an alternate word) of the baby's remains?

Would it be appropriate to cremate the infant's remains and wear them in a locket? I've heard of one person who did this, and am curious if it is allowed under the Church's teachings.
I lost two babies and I named and buried them both and we always include them in our family. My sister was a nurse and she told me early on, (before it actually happened to me), to bury any baby I might loose and I will always know where they were buried and that I did all I could for them. I knew a lady that lost a baby at 6 months and just left it at the hospital. Many years later she was still wondering what happend to her baby. I am at peace with the loss of mine. God Bless, Memaw

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology