Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Mar 25, '17, 3:12 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Follower of our Lord, Jesus Christ
Default Re: It's OK to Sing 'America The Beautiful' In Church

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas84173 View Post
There are a few songs which are sung in Catholic mass now that are in the We Celebrate books but came nothing short of some controversy. I would say "Amazing Grace" and "A Mighty Fortress Is Our God" are the most extraordinary to be in Catholic praise books. Not that they aren't beautiful songs, but just the history and what they represent.
I can't even imagine what is wrong with Amazing Grace.

-------
When I was in USAF basic training way back when, at the end of service, we sang the Star Spangled Banner and with a lot of gusto. It was a first for me, but I was mighty proud to sing it. Now, almost 50 years later, I'm STILL proud to sing it in church.

The words to America the Beautiful are like a hymn. The haunting melody and the praise of His creation... a beautiful prayer in its own rite.
Therefore God has highly exalted Him and bestowed on Him the Name that is above every Name, so that at the Name of Jesus every knee should bow, in Heaven and on Earth and under the Earth, and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Philippians 2:10-11
Old Mar 27, '17, 8:32 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveningSkye111 View Post
I can't even imagine what is wrong with Amazing Grace.
Wrong? I think that might be a bit much. While I do not agree with the argument against it, it usually has to do more with what it might imply, especially once saved, always saved. But like I said, it only might imply something that might be misunderstood. It is one of my favorite hymns and never had any issue with it.

On a side note, in 2004, it was one of my first posts here that argued the case against Amazing Grace was poor.
"Then the King will say to those on His right, 'Come, you who are blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world. For I was hungry, and you gave Me something to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me something to drink; I was a stranger, and you invited Me in." - Jesus

Nooo!! I didn't mean it!
Old Mar 27, '17, 8:49 am

Religion: Evangelical Presbyterian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnewton View Post
Wrong? I think that might be a bit much. While I do not agree with the argument against it, it usually has to do more with what it might imply, especially once saved, always saved. But like I said, it only might imply something that might be misunderstood. It is one of my favorite hymns and never had any issue with it.

On a side note, in 2004, it was one of my first posts here that argued the case against Amazing Grace was poor.
I like Amazing Grace. But I get the feeling some people check under their pew first thing at Mass to be sure no one has carved OSAS there, and they are the first to remind you when you say that Jesus saves, that you could commit a mortal sin and die and go to hell at any second, so watch yourself, and that works without faith is dead, so you better get cracking.
Old Mar 27, '17, 2:18 pm
Forum Elder

I fell behind a bit on this thread but have caught up now. My thanks, naturally, to everyone who has shared their thoughts on the matter.

One time my father was reading I-don't-remember-what-book, and in talking about prayer it addressed the question "Can I smoke during my prayer time?" with the answer "No, but you can pray during your smoking time." (This was a number of years ago, and I think the book was already old even then -- I recall my dad commenting that "If he were writing today, I bet he wouldn't have even mentioned smoking.)

I don't think this answer is merely an exercise in cleverness. Having a designated "prayer time" (which may have various parameters, including not smoking) in no way means that it is only then that one can pray.

Likewise, if someone asks "Can we sing 'God bless America' in mass?" perhaps the best response is not "No" but rather "Would you sing it outside of mass? If not, is that because you don't think God should be mentioned outside of mass?"
Old Mar 27, '17, 2:21 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomyris View Post
... when you say that Jesus saves
Whoa, what am I, Protestant or something?

"Together we confess: By grace alone, in faith in Christ's saving work and not because of any merit on our part, we are accepted by God and receive the Holy Spirit, who renews our hearts while equipping and calling us to good works."
http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/po...ration_en.html
Old Mar 27, '17, 3:20 pm

Religion: Evangelical Presbyterian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter J View Post
Whoa, what am I, Protestant or something?

"Together we confess: By grace alone, in faith in Christ's saving work and not because of any merit on our part, we are accepted by God and receive the Holy Spirit, who renews our hearts while equipping and calling us to good works."
http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/po...ration_en.html
Somewhere just now some anti-Catholic has read that and has fallen off his hobby-horse.

And some Catholic.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions