Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jul 14, '17, 9:10 am

Religion: Catholic
Default eternal death

1056 Following the example of Christ, the Church warns the faithful of the "sad and lamentable reality of eternal death" (GCD 69), also called "hell."

The above is from the CCC.

If the soul is immortal what does the CCC mean when it speaks of eternal death.
Old Jul 14, '17, 9:50 am

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: eternal death

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynec View Post
1056 Following the example of Christ, the Church warns the faithful of the "sad and lamentable reality of eternal death" (GCD 69), also called "hell."

The above is from the CCC.

If the soul is immortal what does the CCC mean when it speaks of eternal death.
Hell. The death of all spiritual life. Not feeling the presence of God in any way.
As for me, to be near God is my good, to make the Lord God my refuge. (Ps 73:28)
Old Jul 14, '17, 11:14 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesrock View Post
Hell. The death of all spiritual life. Not feeling the presence of God in any way.
: CCC Search Result - Paragraph # 1057 (167 bytes )
Hell's principal punishment consists of eternal separation from God in whom alone man can have the life and happiness for which he was created and for which he longs

If with out God/Jesus we have no life in us how are we to survive in hell if we are separated from God who is the source of all life? If we are separated spiritually from God, and God is spirit and we are spirit creatures how do we survive spiritually in hell?
Old Jul 14, '17, 11:22 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waynec View Post
: CCC Search Result - Paragraph # 1057 (167 bytes )
Hell's principal punishment consists of eternal separation from God in whom alone man can have the life and happiness for which he was created and for which he longs

If with out God/Jesus we have no life in us how are we to survive in hell if we are separated from God who is the source of all life? If we are separated spiritually from God, and God is spirit and we are spirit creatures how do we survive spiritually in hell?
It's in the nature of the human soul to never corrupt and so be immortal, and God's act of creation continues, allowing it to exist according to its nature.

So one one level, the souls in Hell don't remain outside the scope of God's act. But, they feel an utter lack of His presence which, to my understanding, goes beyond anything experienced in this life. They remain in extreme disunion with God, obstinately, and which they irrevocably will to never repair.
As for me, to be near God is my good, to make the Lord God my refuge. (Ps 73:28)
Old Jul 14, '17, 12:12 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesrock View Post
It's in the nature of the human soul to never corrupt and so be immortal, and God's act of creation continues, allowing it to exist according to its nature.

So one one level, the souls in Hell don't remain outside the scope of God's act. But, they feel an utter lack of His presence which, to my understanding, goes beyond anything experienced in this life. They remain in extreme disunion with God, obstinately, and which they irrevocably will to never repair.
Thanks an explanation that I actually understand.
Old Jul 15, '17, 12:16 am
Veteran Member

And the reason we must be "born again" or "born from above" is because, even now, we're "born dead" so to speak, suffering from the "death of the soul" as the Church teaches that all men suffer as a result of Original Sin. This world is sort of halfway house between heaven and hell, where we have the opportunity to find God, to turn back to Him, to make the right choice this time that Adam failed to make in Eden. So that we may commune with God as was always meant to be the case, and so have "life and life abundantly" (John 10:10). "Apart from Me you can do nothing" (John 15:5).

"It is love alone that gives worth to all things." - St. Teresa of Avila

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics