Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Jun 20, '17, 3:48 am
Veteran Member
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: sin to attend Protestant Sunday service?

Of course it's positive.
You came looking for an answer, and you got one: no sin.
You also got advice (not aggressive either) to try your best to repair your relationship with your mother and tend to her personal issues as you have explained here.
Not helping her would be the sin. It never helps anyone to hide the truth.
All the best,
peace.

Music is the only art of heaven on earth...
and the only art of earth that we take to heaven.
Old Jun 20, '17, 3:50 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Byzantine Catholic ☦

Quote:
Originally Posted by EIF5A View Post
It's been made abundantly clear asking this on an internet forum was a bad decision on my part.

But I did glean some lessons and observations. Something positive I guess.

(Is there a way for a moderator to delete this thread?)
They could delete it if there was something in it that broke forum rules, but in general, they won't.

You've gotten some great advice here. Turn off your notifications so you won't see any further replies.

I hope things turn out well for you!

http://www.shrineofstjude.org/site/P...e=ssj_homepage

Please support the cause for the Beatification and Canonization of Rhoda Wise:

http://rhodawise.com/
Old Jun 20, '17, 4:16 am

Religion: Catholic

OP, last summer i was put in a similar situation.

I don't live in the same state as my family....but I go visit every year or two. And I had converted to Catholicism and had not told my fundamentalist family members about this. And when I went to visit last summer i was not going to tell them. But after thinking about it, i came to the conclusion that I owe it to them and to God to tell them even though I knew they were hostile towards the Church.

Well, there were fireworks for sure. Heated discussions...and at the end of my trip there, they were forced to acknowledge that I was providing good answers to their many objections towards the Church. And they see that I still love Jesus, and for protestants, that's something they must see from us as Catholics. So my conversion revelation a year later seems to be fully accepted at this point. Sure, they will likely never convert themselves, but they have let their guard down some for sure.

So, I know you regret making this thread, but you have received some good advice and encouragement here. Think about it, pray about it and talk to your pastor about it.

God bless.
For my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink. - John 6:55
Old Jun 20, '17, 5:01 am

Religion: Catholic (former Protestant)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianistclare View Post
Of course it's positive.
You came looking for an answer, and you got one: no sin.
You also got advice (not aggressive either) to try your best to repair your relationship with your mother and tend to her personal issues as you have explained here.
Not helping her would be the sin. It never helps anyone to hide the truth.
All the best,
peace.
Really?

Because I got snarky cartoons from a deacon, chastised for "denying" my faith, and guilt-compared to martyrs. But others have been more understanding of (unwanted) complexities outside of one's control.

Granted, I should have explained the situation better but I thought it best to leave out as much detail as possible and just get straight to the point.

The lesson I learned is: ask a priest directly and explain everything more completely without reservation (I've left out some other details out of public shame.)
Old Jun 20, '17, 5:52 am

Quote:
The church she goes to only has memorial communion once a month or something like that.

But if I happen to be there when they are distributing the commemorative food items, then I guess things will have to come to a clash at that point.
Because of this I think not sharing is a big risk. If you don't receive I assume people will ask why. Then do you lie? Or do you tell the truth but create a much bigger issue because they learn the truth by seeing you reject their practice?
Old Jun 20, '17, 6:36 am

Religion: Catholic, Former Reformed Baptist

To EIF5A:

As someone who dealt with (and is STILL dealing with) issues very related to yours, I sympathize enormously.

From what I've seen and read, attending mass on Saturday will stand for your Sunday obligation (anyone feel free to correct me on this if I'm in error).

Concerning your family, I think the most honest thing for yourself is to realize that "the long game" involves your mom becoming aware that you're actively Catholic. Or at least, you cease any activity to hide that from her.

But I agree that incrementally revealing that fact to her instead of shoving it in her face all-at-once would be the better way if you're certain she'd experience a personal crisis on the face of it.
-But don't fall for the temptation of stopping at some comfortable increment that is short of full openness. You need to ultimately live honestly and openly with yourself and others - as I'm sure you know.

Last word of advice - thank everyone here for their opinions. Then seek them no more on this matter.

Take it up with your priest.
Old Jun 20, '17, 1:12 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Really?

Because I got snarky cartoons from a deacon, chastised for "denying" my faith, and guilt-compared to martyrs. But others have been more understanding of (unwanted) complexities outside of one's control.

Granted, I should have explained the situation better but I thought it best to leave out as much detail as possible and just get straight to the point.

The lesson I learned is: ask a priest directly and explain everything more completely without reservation (I've left out some other details out of public shame.)
I'm sorry you had to experience some of the responses here. I've seen it so many times here that some posters tend to act as the "righteousness police" so to speak. You asked a simple and valid question, all responses should have been charitable but unfortunately some felt the need to chastise you uncharitably.

I feel those posters are not converts and have no idea of the family dynamics possible in the decision to go ahead with conversion. It's a foreign concept.
Old Jun 20, '17, 1:29 pm

"Sorry, I'm not a saint."

Phew! Me neither!

I think talking to your priest is perhaps the best advice from this point. Its hard for us all to know the details. Good luck with your Mom and your continued journey in the Faith!
Old Jun 20, '17, 1:40 pm

Religion: Catholic (former Protestant)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horton View Post
I'm sorry you had to experience some of the responses here. I've seen it so many times here that some posters tend to act as the "righteousness police" so to speak. You asked a simple and valid question, all responses should have been charitable but unfortunately some felt the need to chastise you uncharitably.

I feel those posters are not converts and have no idea of the family dynamics possible in the decision to go ahead with conversion. It's a foreign concept.
I don't fault anyone. Things are...odd...these days and what was faithfully held for a long time is being taught as being...flexible, let's say... It can perhaps lead to hypersensitivity for those who want to maintain the faith in an orthodox manner.

Looking back, I'm guilty of the same thing. As a gay Catholic, I almost feel as though it's my "duty" to "correct" non-Catholics/non-Christians when it comes to sexual orientation issue (e.g., gay marriage will never be allowed, the only option is state of celibacy, etc). I don't know what people go through or what their thoughts really are deep inside or how God is (hopefully) working through them.

It'd be nice to have angelic intellect and just "know" and forego with all these confusions, but alas...
Old Jun 20, '17, 1:51 pm

Congratulations on being received into the Church! I had to deal with a similar situation, so I deeply sympathize with where you are coming from. My poor mom was also extremely emotionally distraught about my becoming Catholic.

I wonder, though, and this something only you can answer: Will it make your mother even more distressed if (or when) she finds out that you have been a Catholic for some time and hid the fact from her? Would it be better just to be upfront and rip the bandage off, so to speak? (Just throwing it out there; no doubt you have already considered that. I have been in your shoes and am not judging.) It is a tough position to be in. Prayers that you find the best solution!

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments