Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > Catholic News

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 21, '17, 8:35 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Catholic college in Kansas wipes ‘yoga’ from names of classes — it’s a Hindu thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsont7 View Post
Here are a few news articles that mentioned it, but it seemed to be a big deal when he spoke of it:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...oga-and-harry/

http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/news...ga-dies-at-91/

This one is a commentary on Fr. Amorth's beliefs:
http://www.americamagazine.org/conte...yoga-and-devil
"He claimed that yoga is “evil” because it leads to a worship of Hinduism and other Eastern religions..."

"once called yoga “evil” because he said it encouraged people to practice eastern religions."

I think those statement are debatable. What encourages or leads people to practice another religion is dissatisfaction with the current one, if any. Or perhaps even philosophical questioning. Postures themselves are just body positions.

I found this other article linked

People “who live with trusting abandon in God’s arms are stronger than the devil and all of his minions — these truths do not emerge in the movies,” he said.
http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/news...says-exorcist/

“Lord, I have let myself be deceived; in a thousand ways I have shunned your love,
yet here I am once more, to renew my covenant with you.
I need you. Save me once again, Lord, take me once more into your redeeming embrace”.
- Pope Francis

Old Apr 21, '17, 6:27 pm

Default Re: Catholic college in Kansas wipes ‘yoga’ from names of classes — it’s a Hindu thing

It's an interesting discussion.

I've been doing a program called "DDP Yoga" for about 5 months now. The long and short of it is that it incorporates Yoga positions and resistance stretching exercises, and takes out all of the spiritual elements of what may be in more traditional form of Yoga.

Oddly enough, I usually listen to EWTN while I'm doing it to help relax my mind while I work out.

It works great for me, but I probably made someone's head explode with my eclectic mix.
Old Apr 21, '17, 7:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewP View Post
It's an interesting discussion.

I've been doing a program called "DDP Yoga" for about 5 months now. The long and short of it is that it incorporates Yoga positions and resistance stretching exercises, and takes out all of the spiritual elements of what may be in more traditional form of Yoga.

Oddly enough, I usually listen to EWTN while I'm doing it to help relax my mind while I work out.

It works great for me, but I probably made someone's head explode with my eclectic mix.
I Say good for you. I dont know how old you are but as we age flexibility and balance become crucial and yoga provides a systematic disciplined approach. The yoga stretches and positions that is, not the yoga world view. So as we evaluate anything in our Christian journey there are a few questions to help us discern:

4 NEW AGE AND CHRISTIAN FAITH IN CONTRAST

Is God a being with whom we have a relationship or something to be used or a force to be harnessed?

Is there just one Jesus Christ, or are there thousands of Christs?

The human being: is there one universal being or are there many individuals?

Do we save ourselves or is salvation a free gift from God?

Do we invent truth or do we embrace it?

Prayer and meditation: are we talking to ourselves or to God?

Are we tempted to deny sin or do we accept that there is such a thing?

Are we encouraged to reject or accept suffering and death?

Is social commitment something shirked or positively sought after?

Is our future in the stars or do we help to construct it?

http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/po...20are%20needed

“Lord, I have let myself be deceived; in a thousand ways I have shunned your love,
I need you. Save me once again, Lord, take me once more into your redeeming embrace”.
- Pope Francis

Old Apr 23, '17, 9:21 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

By the Pontifical Council. If you have any beef, take it with them.

4 NEW AGE AND CHRISTIAN FAITH IN CONTRAST
"It is therefore necessary to accurately identify those elements which belong to the New Age movement, and which ************cannot be accepted************ by those who are faithful to Christ and his Church."

If you are not faithful, then you accept Yoga. If there is any doubt as to what is New Age...

2.1. What is new about New Age?
Some of the traditions which flow into New Age are: ancient Egyptian occult practices, Cabbalism, early Christian gnosticism, Sufism, the lore of the Druids, Celtic Christianity, mediaeval alchemy, Renaissance hermeticism, Zen Buddhism, **********Yoga******** and so on.

http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/po...ge_en.html#2.1. What is new about New Age?

But the Catholic College said:
College spokesman Stephen Johnson said that starting this fall, both recreational classes and for-credit exercise classes that once taught yoga will likely still be taught the same way, but instead will be rebranded as “lifestyle fitness.”

This is dangerous
Old Apr 23, '17, 10:50 am

Rock022,

Your edited quote from the document mischaracterizes it. And then adding your own words into it, "If you are not faithful, then you accept yoga" makes it sound as if the document actually said that. And it did not.

And your last quote from 2.1 also misrepresented
"In any case, the Age of Aquarius is a vision, not a theory. But New Age is a broad tradition, which incorporates many ideas which have no explicit link with the change from the Age of Pisces to the Age of Aquarius. There are moderate, but quite generalised, visions of a future where there will be a planetary spirituality alongside separate religions, similar planetary political institutions to complement more local ones, global economic entities which are more participatory and democratic, greater emphasis on communication and education, a mixed approach to health combining professional medicine and self-healing, a more androgynous self-understanding and ways of integrating science, mysticism, technology and ecology. Again, this is evidence of a deep desire for a fulfilling and healthy existence for the human race and for the planet. Some of the traditions which flow into New Age are: ancient Egyptian occult practices, Cabbalism, early Christian gnosticism, Sufism, the lore of the Druids, Celtic Christianity, mediaeval alchemy, Renaissance hermeticism, Zen Buddhism, Yoga and so on."

How is it then that you completely ignore the questions for discernment as summarized in my last post?

- Pope Francis

Old Apr 24, '17, 12:04 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Mayo View Post
Rock022,

Your edited quote from the document mischaracterizes it. And then adding your own words into it, "If you are not faithful, then you accept yoga" makes it sound as if the document actually said that. And it did not.

And your last quote from 2.1 also misrepresented
"In any case, the Age of Aquarius is a vision, not a theory. But New Age is a broad tradition, which incorporates many ideas which have no explicit link with the change from the Age of Pisces to the Age of Aquarius. There are moderate, but quite generalised, visions of a future where there will be a planetary spirituality alongside separate religions, similar planetary political institutions to complement more local ones, global economic entities which are more participatory and democratic, greater emphasis on communication and education, a mixed approach to health combining professional medicine and self-healing, a more androgynous self-understanding and ways of integrating science, mysticism, technology and ecology. Again, this is evidence of a deep desire for a fulfilling and healthy existence for the human race and for the planet. Some of the traditions which flow into New Age are: ancient Egyptian occult practices, Cabbalism, early Christian gnosticism, Sufism, the lore of the Druids, Celtic Christianity, mediaeval alchemy, Renaissance hermeticism, Zen Buddhism, Yoga and so on."

How is it then that you completely ignore the questions for discernment as summarized in my last post?
As I see it, in your post you imply that Yoga is not bad. We are the ones who get it wrong, and we misunderstand a teaching from the church.

So I have no further input on this chat to nowhere.
Old Apr 24, '17, 4:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock022 View Post
As I see it, in your post you imply that Yoga is not bad. We are the ones who get it wrong, and we misunderstand a teaching from the church.

So I have no further input on this chat to nowhere.

- Pope Francis

Old Yesterday, 10:03 am

The other thread on the interview with an exorcist made me curious to see if he had an opinion on yoga. I found another interview:

Do you caution against Eastern meditation such as yoga?

Fr. Lampert: The benefit of yoga for purely exercising is not the issue. What is concerning is the calling upon of energies, spirits, or forces when doing these practices.

Fr. Thomas: When someone doing yoga acknowledges and calls upon spirits or energies attached to certain exercises, this creates serious problems. I know this for fact because I have had people who are fervent yoga users come to me with problems when they have given homage to the gods attached to the movements of the yoga.

http://www.thechristianreview.com/ba...cas-exorcists/

From a Catholic perspective, are activities like violent video games or yoga dangerous?

Yes, but I have to qualify that. My mum, a very devout Catholic, used to practice yoga, and I told her: “As long as you do it for the purpose of exercise only and you’re not invoking any gods, not doings any of the “om”s, any of the rituals, I don’t see any reason why you can’t do it”. It’s when people do it for power or enlightenment, then it becomes dangerous because you don’t know what you’re invoking. As for violent video games: It’s not about somebody who plays them once, it’s about being on the computer five to six hours a day, mostly children, and become a kind of disciple of it. Even using an ouija board can be an opening. Do I think using it one time can cause a problem? No, but it’s people who make a habit of using it and get good at it. Those people are at risk.

http://idealistmag.com/the-devil/int...h-an-exorcist/

- Pope Francis

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > Catholic News