Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Eastern Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 23, '17, 8:50 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: What is the difference between Eastern Catholicism and Eastern Orthodoxy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohzek View Post
So rather than asking Orthodox people and sources about Orthodoxy and asking Catholic people and sources about Catholicism, you'd rather conduct your comparison between the two by only asking Catholics? That doesn't seem very wise to me.
The latter. Special people that scripture recommends we ask.
Old Jun 23, '17, 9:10 am

Default Re: What is the difference between Eastern Catholicism and Eastern Orthodoxy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodromos View Post
That might qualify them to speak with authority about Catholicism, but it hardly makes them an authority on Orthodoxy.
It answers the question. One difference is that the Church considers it heretical.
Old Jun 23, '17, 12:49 pm

Religion: Orthodox and dedicated Postpositivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevus View Post
The latter. Special people that scripture recommends we ask.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevus View Post
It answers the question. One difference is that the Church considers it heretical.
"Il ne faut imaginer Dieu ni trop bon, ni méchant. La justice est entre l'excès de la clémence et la cruauté, ainsi que les peines finies sont entre l'impunité et les peines éternelles." - Denise Diderot, Pensées philosophiques 1746
Old Jun 23, '17, 2:32 pm

Religion: Latin Catholic

I don't know much about the differences between the religion but we are close as to the proof is in my childhood... Us Latin and Eastern Catholics and Orthodox had to run through the Protestant neighborhood while going and coming from school. ✝☦✝☦
Old Jun 23, '17, 2:55 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohzek View Post
A rather low grade sort of bait at that I might remark.
Old Jun 23, '17, 7:30 pm

Religion: Orthodox

Quote:
Originally Posted by JharekCarnelian View Post
A rather low grade sort of bait at that I might remark.
My only thought was what Eastern Catholics might think of it, seeing as they claim to believe everything the Orthodox believe.

They often seem to get inadvertently trampled under Latin rite attacks on Orthodox.
Old Jun 23, '17, 9:49 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Byzantine Catholic ☦

Its almost 1 am here so maybe I'm not operating on all cylinders, but we're Eastern Catholics called heretics?

http://www.shrineofstjude.org/site/P...e=ssj_homepage

Please support the cause for the Beatification and Canonization of Rhoda Wise:

http://rhodawise.com/
Old Jun 24, '17, 4:00 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by prodromos View Post
My only thought was what Eastern Catholics might think of it, seeing as they claim to believe everything the Orthodox believe.

They often seem to get inadvertently trampled under Latin rite attacks on Orthodox.
The most classic example of that I can think of here was when discussing communion for infants a fellow Latin Catholic started weighing in saying this is not acceptable in Catholic Churches under any circumstances. They kept on doing so even after a deacon and priest told them this was not always true.
Old Jun 24, '17, 4:23 pm

Religion: Catholic/ocds

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeniseNY View Post
Its almost 1 am here so maybe I'm not operating on all cylinders, but we're Eastern Catholics called heretics?
I do not know what Catholic would say this but if any Catholic said Eastern Catholic's are heretic's they are not just wrong but also either mean or ignorant! You just just have to ignore them and pray that God will enlighten them if they say that Eastern Catholic's are heretic's!
Old Jun 24, '17, 4:42 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by spina1953 View Post
I do not know what Catholic would say this but if any Catholic said Eastern Catholic's are heretic's they are not just wrong but also either mean or ignorant! You just just have to ignore them and pray that God will enlighten them if they say that Eastern Catholic's are heretic's!
My wife is one of them dreadful Eastern Orthodox heretics, but I say that quietly in case Mr. Frying Pan comes out of his home in the cupboard yet again or recipes such as cakes and fried potatoes with spices etc. stop been made.
Old Jun 24, '17, 4:58 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Byzantine Catholic ☦

Quote:
I was reading this thread really earlier in the morning and wasn't sure if I was reading correctly1

http://www.shrineofstjude.org/site/P...e=ssj_homepage

Please support the cause for the Beatification and Canonization of Rhoda Wise:

http://rhodawise.com/
Old Jun 24, '17, 5:36 pm

Quote:
My wife is one of them dreadful Eastern Orthodox heretics, but I say that quietly in case Mr. Frying Pan comes out of his home in the cupboard yet again or recipes such as cakes and fried potatoes with spices etc. stop been made.
Jjarek Camlian, I can't say Orthodox are heretic's I think it would be very wrong of me to do so. I know there are differences in understanding theologies between the East and West I hope people will one day open their heart and minds and know we are both correct and only need to understand each other rather than trying to find fault with each other
Old Jun 25, '17, 10:26 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Jjarek Camlian, I can't say Orthodox are heretic's I think it would be very wrong of me to do so. I know there are differences in understanding theologies between the East and West I hope people will one day open their heart and minds and know we are both correct and only need to understand each other rather than trying to find fault with each other
I was been somewhat tongue in cheek, obviously my wife Svetlana does not wander around calling me a heretic and talking about the filioque, sack of Constantinople and other matters and neither do I call her that. These kind of conversations are really pretty rarefied and most people don't engage in them in everyday reality.
Old Jun 25, '17, 10:59 am

Quote:
I was been somewhat tongue in cheek, obviously my wife Svetlana does not wander around calling me a heretic and talking about the filioque, sack of Constantinople and other matters and neither do I call her that. These kind of conversations are really pretty rarefied and most people don't engage in them in everyday reality.
Jharek Carmelian, I understood what you were saying. When I was first getting married went to the priest who was a Francisian and since my wife to be was never baptized called her a pagan, Wow! that did not sit right with her. anyway we did get married in the Catholic Church for 25 years while we had ups and downs like in any marriage thought we had a good one till she decided she no longer wanted to be married. But I digress somewhat. I knew better than to discuss religion with her and never called her a pagan. But then again I would never call anyone that anyway since there is more to being a pagan then not being baptized.

What gets me is while i think the subject matter concerning the various reasons as to why the split between Orthodox and Catholic is right to discuss, the hate por rudeness and we are right and you are wrong is not the way I believe those things should be talked about as there is no common ground. when that happens there is not understanding of the differences between how each understands their theologies and belief system. To me each Rite whether east or West has it spiritual beauty that draws one closer to God, and belittling others because they are either Catholic, Eastern Catholic or Orthodox, is not what Christ taught us to do. being that rigidness does not promote understanding and only causes more and more division among us. Hopefully one day will come when each side will come to understanding each other and embrace the heavenly spirituality each offers to us.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Eastern Catholicism