Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 24, '17, 5:04 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: What doesn't make sense to you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by meltzerboy View Post
One thing that I have thought about regarding Catholic teaching (I wouldn't say it "doesn't make sense" since I know it does within Catholic doctrine) is the idea that one may lead a virtuous life but "slip up" at the very end by committing a mortal sin for which one does not seek repentance and thus be condemned to hell. Why wouldn't G-d consider the TOTALITY of a person's life rather than so severely penalize them for a mortal sin which stands in opposition to the good features of the rest of their life? Isn't this more just?
Yeah, theoretically that can happen.

But if we know God, love God and serve God, we repent right away after sinning. Then do it perfectly in the Sacrament of confession as soon as possible. But since God is not bound to sacraments, we still go to heaven if we die before going to confession since we repented n our hearts to him.

So, that scenario you pointed out is likely not occurring very often imo.
For my flesh is true food, and my blood is true drink. - John 6:55
Old Apr 25, '17, 9:32 am

Religion: Orthodox

There are several things about the teaching on papal infallibility that don't make sense to me, but this is the most problematic: the uncertainty *at the highest levels of the Catholic magisterium* as to which papal proclamations are infallible. Some say two, the IC and the Assumption, some include JPII's proclamation against ordination of women, some include Humanae Vitae, and the quasi-official "relatio" of the Vatican I proclamation by Bishop Gasser shortly after VI states that there are "hundreds" of infallible papal proclamations throughout church history. If a papal proclamation is the highest exercise of magisterial authority, and it defines truths essential to the Faith, it would seem to me to be the highest priority to determine which papal proclamations are infallible. Yet most Catholics, including Catholic apologists, teachers, clergy and bishops seem profoundly uninterested in the question. The only important thing, it seems for Catholics, is to believe in papal infallibility, not in what has actually been "infallibly" proclaimed (other than the IC and the Assumption). As a former RC I know once said, when it comes to papal infallibility, Catholics seem to want to sell the sizzle, not the steak.
Old Apr 25, '17, 12:21 pm
Forum Master

Religion: Informed, practicing RomanCatholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expatreprocedit View Post
There are several things about the teaching on papal infallibility that don't make sense to me, but this is the most problematic: the uncertainty *at the highest levels of the Catholic magisterium* as to which papal proclamations are infallible. Some say two, the IC and the Assumption, some include JPII's proclamation against ordination of women, some include Humanae Vitae, and the quasi-official "relatio" of the Vatican I proclamation by Bishop Gasser shortly after VI states that there are "hundreds" of infallible papal proclamations throughout church history. If a papal proclamation is the highest exercise of magisterial authority, and it defines truths essential to the Faith, it would seem to me to be the highest priority to determine which papal proclamations are infallible. Yet most Catholics, including Catholic apologists, teachers, clergy and bishops seem profoundly uninterested in the question. The only important thing, it seems for Catholics, is to believe in papal infallibility, not in what has actually been "infallibly" proclaimed (other than the IC and the Assumption). As a former RC I know once said, when it comes to papal infallibility, Catholics seem to want to sell the sizzle, not the steak.
“Infallibility” is not clearly understood by a great many, Catholics and non-Catholics alike.

For ANY proclamation to be INFALLIBE; each of the following conditions must be met.

May I suggest you read the following?

http://canonlawmadeeasy.com/2011/02/...ak-infallibly/

BOOK III : THE TEACHING OFFICE OF THE CHURCH

Can. 748 §1 All are bound to seek the truth in the matters which concern God and his Church; when they have found it, then by divine law they are bound, and they have the right, to embrace and keep it.

§2 It is never lawful for anyone to force others to embrace the catholic faith against their conscience.

Can. 749 §1 In virtue of his office the Supreme Pontiff is infallible in his teaching when, as chief Shepherd and Teacher of all Christ's faithful, with the duty of strengthening his brethren in the faith, he proclaims by definitive act a doctrine to be held concerning faith or morals.

§2 The College of Bishops also possesses infallibility in its teaching when the Bishops, gathered together in in Ecumenical Council and exercising their magisterium as teachers and judges of faith and morals, definitivelydeclare for the universal Church a doctrine to be held concerning faith or morals; likewise, when the Bishops, dispersed throughout the world but maintaining the bond of union among themselves and with the successor of Peter, together with the same Roman Pontiff authentically teach matters of faith or morals, and are agreed that a particular teaching is definitively to be held.

§3 No doctrine is understood to be infallibly defined unless this is manifestly demonstrated

HOWEVER: The issue of Infallibility is NOT the only mandate for the teaching authority of the RCC & it’s Magisterium.

Can. 750 §1. A person must believe with divine and Catholic faith all those things contained in the word of God, written or handed on, that is, in the one deposit of faith entrusted to the Church, and at the same time proposed as divinely revealed either by the solemn magisterium of the Church or by its ordinary and universal magisterium which is manifested by the common adherence of the Christian faithful under the leadership of the sacred magisterium; therefore all are bound to avoid any doctrines whatsoever contrary to them.

§2. Each and every thing which is proposed definitively by the magisterium of the Church concerning the doctrine of faith and morals, that is, each and every thing which is required to safeguard reverently and to expound faithfully the same deposit of faith, is also to be firmly embraced and retained; therefore, one who rejects those propositions which are to be held definitively is opposed to the doctrine of the Catholic Church.

Can. 751 Heresy is the obstinate denial or obstinate doubt after the reception of baptism of some truth which is to be believed by divine and Catholic faith; apostasy is the total repudiation of the Christian faith; schism is the refusal of submission to the Supreme Pontiff or of communion with the members of the Church subject to him.

Can. 752 Although not an assent of faith, a religious submission of the intellect and will must be given to a doctrine which the Supreme Pontiff or the college of bishops declares concerning faith or morals when they exercise the authentic magisterium, even if they do not intend to proclaim it by definitive act; therefore, the Christian faithful are to take care to avoid those things which do not agree with it.

Can. 753 Although the bishops who are in communion with the head and members of the college, whether individually or joined together in conferences of bishops or in particular councils, do not possess infallibility in teaching, they are authentic teachers and instructors of the faith for the Christian faithful entrusted to their care; the Christian faithful are bound to adhere with religious submission of mind to the authentic magisterium of their bishops.

Can. 754 All the Christian faithful are obliged to observe the constitutions and decrees which the legitimate authority of the Church issues in order to propose doctrine and to proscribe erroneous opinions, particularly those which the Roman Pontiff or the college of bishops puts forth. END QUOTES

God Bless you, you made a very good point!
Patrick

http://working4christtwo.wordpress.com

A.B. Fulton Sheen: "The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it, and a lie is still a lie, even if everybody believes it."

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions