Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Concierge Desk > Staff Chat

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Jun 13, '17, 5:50 pm

Religion: Thinking About Catholicism...
Default How long can a topic be dormant before it's inappropriate to resurrect it?

It occurs to me there are two conflicting principles on CAF:

1) We are not supposed to resurrect dormant topics.

2) We are not supposed to start duplicate topics.

It seems some people think of "dormant topic" as "topic that has fallen off the first page" and so will start new topics, so there are two "fired gay music director loses suit against church" topics, among others.

However there are also resurrected topics that are 5 years old, even 10 years old.

So, what is a good rule about how long a topic can be dormant before a new topic should be started? A week? A month? It depends?
Old Jun 13, '17, 5:52 pm
Veteran Member
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: How long can a topic be dormant before it's inappropriate to resurrect it?

The thread that was resurrected today and closed was 7 years old.
That's way too far back to resurrect a thread.
Duplicate threads really only refer to similar or identical threads within a week or so.
They used to be merged when there were more mods.

Music is the only art of heaven on earth...
and the only art of earth that we take to heaven.
Old Jun 14, '17, 6:22 am
Veteran Member

Religion: Catholic, Tiber Swim Team Class of 2005
Default Re: How long can a topic be dormant before it's inappropriate to resurrect it?

On one hand I do not necropost, mainly because my method of searching brings up only the most recent posts. On the other hand, I don't pounce on people who do necropost; it's not shocking enough to make me fall out of my recliner.

I've said this before -- if freezing old posts is something that is important to the owners of the forum, then it shouldn't be that big a deal to modify the software to automatically close threads that have been dormant for a certain length of time. If this issue is not important enough for those modifications to be made, then it is not important enough for me to care when someone does post on a 7-year-old thread.
Old Jun 14, '17, 6:28 am
Forum Elder

I'd say if no one has posted for 6 months or so, don't revive it.

I think numerous posts on the same topic are because people are not aware that someone else started a similar post.

For example, I recently started a thread about the relics of St. John Bosco being stolen. And a few more threads popped up about the same thing. No big deal, and I wouldn't report it because it isn't really a big deal to me.

The Word became flesh, He lived among us, and we saw His glory, the glory that He has from the Father as only Son of the Father, full of grace and truth.
Old Jun 14, '17, 6:36 am
Veteran Member
Prayer Warrior

Well, it does annoy me...mostly because you discover that the posters on the long dead thread are all banned!!!!!

I would think it would clog and slow the server though....I mean, they delete the Apologist threads......half the time those files were no longer present when you clicked on the links.

Old Jun 14, '17, 7:43 am
Veteran Member

Religion: Catholic, Tiber Swim Team Class of 2005

Small addition to what I posted above -- this is the only forum that I've been on that has an official policy against necropostiing.
Old Jun 14, '17, 7:45 am
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Gail 36 View Post
I'd say if no one has posted for 6 months or so, don't revive it.
Often I write posts directed to our guests who may not share the same routines as CAF members.

CAF participants may voluntarily consider that 6 months sounds reasonable. However, I would first consider the topic.

One can do a quick PM to the Moderator that there is an older thread whose participants are no longer posting or who are banned.
Old Jun 14, '17, 8:04 am
Forum Elder

I don't know that there's a hard and fast rule on the exact length of time. I think sometimes it depends on the thread, too. I've seen some game threads go dormant and then be brought back months later and it's fine because it's a game thread. Next April 24th, when dshix finally is able to post in this then-five-year-old thread, I doubt it will be closed because that was the whole point. There are certain other threads like the video game thread or the heavy metal thread that seem to go dormant and get resurrected every so often, but they are so general that it doesn't seem out of place to do so.

The threads that get locked tend to be the ones where someone was asking a specific question. That I understand because—if someone doesn't notice it—you can end up reading through pages and pages of posts that are years old and start formulating replies only to realize that the person who resurrected the thread is asking something a little different and the users you were thinking of replying to haven't logged in to CAF in years.

I understand why it happens. Generally, it's done by a new user who probably just found the site through Google and decided to ask their question in that related thread because they have no idea that it's against forum rules.

But I understand why the moderators have the rule in place, too. I think it makes it easier to engage in conversation.

I know I've seen other forums that actually take the opposite approach. You're supposed to search the forum and if you find a related thread, you are supposed to post there no matter how old it is or how many posts it has. To me, it's easy to get lost when you are posting in a thread that is several years old with thousands and thousands of posts.

So I think it's a good policy. But I also try not to give people a hard time about resurrecting threads. Usually, it's just because they are new.

The Catechesis of the Popes

–Proverbs 18:2
Old Jun 14, '17, 8:46 am

Religion: Latin Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianistclare View Post
The thread that was resurrected today and closed was 7 years old.
That's way too far back to resurrect a thread.
Duplicate threads really only refer to similar or identical threads within a week or so.
They used to be merged when there were more mods.
You mean there are no mods?

That may explain the proliferation of the trolls lately and the lack of enforcement action. I've received infractions for what I perceive as less serious stuff than some of the more recent activity I've seen here from posters still alive and breathing despite some really outrageous behaviour.

Old Jun 17, '17, 10:10 am
Veteran Member
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by porthos11 View Post

That may explain the proliferation of the trolls lately and the lack of enforcement action. I've received infractions for what I perceive as less serious stuff than some of the more recent activity I've seen here from posters still alive and breathing despite some really outrageous behaviour.
No, they are there...they numbers are just much smaller, and it's a huge forum.
I guess they pick their battles. I know of someone who has been told not to report so many bad posts.....I suppose it can be overwhelming. Often, I have been told to just "Ignore" people. That's hard to do when their outrageous or hurtful remarks turn up when they are quoted. Such is the internet.

Old Jun 18, '17, 8:49 pm
Greeter
Prayer Warrior

Religion: proud to be a RIGID Catholic

if they're the ones doing the outrageous behavior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by porthos11 View Post

Pray for the holy souls in purgatory daily
Pray for the dying, especially those dying unprepared

All are born with their own originality, but many die as photocopies. - Carlo Acutis
Old Jun 22, '17, 2:33 am

Religion: Catholic of course!

Oh we're all here alright. (and we've got you surrounded...)

However, if the last post was 3 months ago (or longer), don't bother.

Zombie posts will routinely be deleted and the thread closed.

If it's something you are really wanting to discuss then open a new thread on it.
Non-Catholic Religions

Ecclesiastes 1:10 Nothing under the sun is new, neither is any man able to say:
Behold this is new: for it hath already gone before in the ages that were before us.

Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Concierge Desk > Staff Chat