Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Mar 20, '17, 7:22 pm
Trial Membership

Religion: Catholic
Default What to do with a broken rosery

The rosary that I have been using for the past 8 years recently broke. I looked and don't think it could be fixed. I just don't think throwing it away is the best way. I would like to know before I get a new one, what I should do to with the broken one. Mother Mary is a big part in my life and throwing it away is like I am disrespecting her.
Old Mar 20, '17, 7:46 pm

Default Re: What to do with a broken rosery

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaas View Post
The rosary that I have been using for the past 8 years recently broke. I looked and don't think it could be fixed. I just don't think throwing it away is the best way. I would like to know before I get a new one, what I should do to with the broken one. Mother Mary is a big part in my life and throwing it away is like I am disrespecting her.
Throw it away. Perhaps you could feel less guilty if you further broke up the rosary beads. There is no sin when you get rid of it.

Use the analogy of "holy" water. When you bless yourself the water eventually evaporates, although the individual water molecules still exist. Don't be scrupulous out this.
LORD, thou have been our dwelling place in all generations. Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever thou hadst formed the earth and the world, even from everlasting to everlasting, thou art God.
Old Mar 20, '17, 9:07 pm
Veteran Member

With blessed items, one can bury them. Another way that I heard with Mother Angelica is to put them into new construction. I have used that way myself. I've gone where they are putting down sidewalk, explained I had a blessed object and asked permission for it to go into the cement. I have done this several times and never had anyone say "no". Although, I also live in a Catholic country.

http://www.themostholyrosary.com/15promises.htm

Seven Sorrows of Mary Promises and Devotion http://www.themostholyrosary.com/appendix1.htm

Last edited by ClearWater; Mar 20, '17 at 9:27 pm. Reason: Correction
Old Yesterday, 5:51 am

There are many places online that will repair broken rosaries and donate them to the missions.
Old Yesterday, 5:59 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Does your church have a Rosary making group? Many churches do. Donate broken Rosaries to them, they may be able to reuse some or all of the parts. Tell them if it is blessed or not. It would feel nice to know that your Rosary breathed life into another one!

https://sentrad.org/ dedicated to the defense of the orthodox Catholic faith

"Ecumenism is the enemy of the Immaculata"
Saint Maximilium Kolbe
Old Yesterday, 6:13 am
Veteran Member
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by esieffe View Post
Does your church have a Rosary making group? Many churches do. Donate broken Rosaries to them, they may be able to reuse some or all of the parts. Tell them if it is blessed or not. It would feel nice to know that your Rosary breathed life into another one!
THIS. I'll bet there are at least 6 or 7 people who make rosaries.
Just have them repair or rebuild it.

Music is the only art of heaven on earth...
and the only art of earth that we take to heaven.
Old Yesterday, 6:19 am
Trial Membership

Thanks for all the replies. When I was growing up my grandmother had a rosary and there was a small book that came with it. I remember reading in that book that if your rosary breaks and missing beads, do not repair it. Didn't say why?
Old Yesterday, 6:21 am
Veteran Member
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaas View Post
Thanks for all the replies. When I was growing up my grandmother had a rosary and there was a small book that came with it. I remember reading in that book that if your rosary breaks and missing beads, do not repair it. Didn't say why?
That is certainly false.
I have had many priests ask me to repair their rosaries for them over the years.
There is NO reason why one could not repair a rosary.

Music is the only art of heaven on earth...
and the only art of earth that we take to heaven.
Old Yesterday, 7:42 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianistclare View Post
That is certainly false.
I have had many priests ask me to repair their rosaries for them over the years.
There is NO reason why one could not repair a rosary.
Yes, I second that. For a long time, you could run into a Catholic book store with your Rosaries to have them repaired. I had a nice one that I had a jeweler repair one time. The person who wrote the little booklet was just wrong. It happens.

https://sentrad.org/ dedicated to the defense of the orthodox Catholic faith

"Ecumenism is the enemy of the Immaculata"
Saint Maximilium Kolbe
Old Yesterday, 7:54 am
Book Club Member

I dismantledvseveral of my broken rosaries, saving (replacing broken ones too) the beads, the crucifix and center pieces. I got the materials to repair them and instructions in rosary making. I haven't yet gotten around to learning this skill, but I still hope to. If your looking for a skill to learn, you could try that. It could lead to a fun hobby, and create some nice gifts for people.
Old Yesterday, 9:00 am

Religion: Christian

seriously...your worried about a broken rosary? ?Worry about your starving neighbors or the one soul that got away from saving grace. Worry about the rape victim whose contemplating suicide. Worry about the refugees who have nowhere to go. Heck pick something to fret over, there's millions of things to put your energies into helping out with. But a broken rosary? I'm thinking Gods, anthropomorphically speaking, slapping his forehead right now.
Blessings be upon you.
Old Yesterday, 9:31 am
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by setarcos View Post
seriously...your worried about a broken rosary? ?Worry about your starving neighbors or the one soul that got away from saving grace. Worry about the rape victim whose contemplating suicide. Worry about the refugees who have nowhere to go. Heck pick something to fret over, there's millions of things to put your energies into helping out with. But a broken rosary? I'm thinking Gods, anthropomorphically speaking, slapping his forehead right now.
Blessings be upon you.
...Really?
Old Yesterday, 9:45 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by setarcos View Post
Blessings be upon you.
The OP wasn't "worried" about what to do, simply seeking advise. What good would "worrying" about these things do anyway? Catholics are capable of offering prayers AND considering what to do with their sacramentals at the same time. In fact, while praying the rosary one can offer prayers of Adoration, Atonement, Thanksgiving, and Petition.

Perhaps studying the history of the Rosary and our devotion to our Blessed Mother through it would go along to helping you understand.
Old Yesterday, 10:23 am

Religion: Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphomega View Post
The OP wasn't "worried" about what to do, simply seeking advise. What good would "worrying" about these things do anyway? Catholics are capable of offering prayers AND considering what to do with their sacramentals at the same time. In fact, while praying the rosary one can offer prayers of Adoration, Atonement, Thanksgiving, and Petition.

Perhaps studying the history of the Rosary and our devotion to our Blessed Mother through it would go along to helping you understand.
My apologies. I came off strong there. I am not ignorant of the history of the rosary. I gathered from the OP in her wording she was indeed concerned with being disrespectful to Mary. That is to say worried of offending her. It just seems to me that Catholics have gotten so taken up by the minutia of proper ritual that the spirit of Gods charity gets lost on them. The only way someone would be disrespectful of God or Mary for that matter would be out of volition. Are we not led by the spirit? Why take up the rosary if your afraid of offending Mary in some manner? If you don't know in what manner you might disrespect her then better not to take up that which may cause offense.
Didn't God say better to be hot or cold rather than Luke warm, trifling over which way to go? You have to put these things into perspective and apply your energies accordingly. If the OP would have simply said for instance...what's a good use for a broken rosary I would have understood.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism