Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old May 18, '17, 11:52 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Friday Penance

Can anyone tell me what other forms of Penance we may perform on Friday rather than fasting or abstinence. I only recently found out that we are still required to perform penance on Fridays even outside of Lent, so it annoys my friends to no end that I won't eat meat on Fridays any day of the year anymore.
Old May 19, '17, 12:29 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Friday Penance

One of the messages of Our Lady at Fatima was the faithful fulfillment of one's duties is the penance of today. Pope Saint John Paul II, said the message of Fatima is more relevant now than it was then.

Wherefore, the study of the treatment of the 10 commandments in various catechisms - is thereby the study of penance. For the commandments indicate the duties by the light they give on natural law (cf. CCC 1956, 1955) - which innately binds all persons to duty.

This does not rule out all the various penances the catechism lists in her treatment of the Sacrament of Penance.
Old May 19, '17, 3:45 am

Religion: catholic

Visit the sick, the prisoners in jail.
I try to pray the chaplet of the seven sorrows.
Visit Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament.
Do volunteer work.
Be extra nice to someone who you dislike.
Old May 19, '17, 6:00 am

If I eat meat that day, I pray an additional five decades of the Rosary.
Old May 19, '17, 8:30 am
Veteran Member
Prayer Warrior

The Corporal and Spiritual Works of Mercy do a good job.
But self-sacrifice, like no tv if you particularly enjoy it, no sweet beverages, and the like can serve as well. Each to his own abilities. Sometimes simply being patient with a difficult person please Our Lord. It all comes down to gratitude for HIS sacrifice.
By my own opinion, I don't do "extra" prayer as a self-imposed penance. I enjoy praying, It's not a burden or sacrifice to me. So I do other things. What you do may be totally different. But I do find joy in prayers.
peace

Music is the only art of heaven on earth...
and the only art of earth that we take to heaven.
Old May 19, '17, 8:40 am

Religion: Catholic, Obl.OSB

See the Catechism: The Many Forms of Penance in Christian Life

See also the "Pastoral Statement on Penance and Abstinence" issued by the US Conference of Catholic Bishops. Paragraph 27 addresses your question:
27. It would bring great glory to God and good to souls if Fridays found our people doing volunteer work in hospitals, visiting the sick, serving the needs of the aged and the lonely, instructing the young in the Faith, participating as Christians in community affairs, and meeting our obligations to our families, our friends,our neighbors, and our community, including our parishes, with a special zeal born of the desire to add the merit of penance to the other virtues exercised in good works born of living faith.
I also have to comment on your statement: ...it annoys my friends to no end that I won't eat meat on Fridays any day of the year anymore.

How is it that your friends even know that you are abstaining from meat?

I don't eat meat on Fridays and I seriously doubt that my friends or co-workers have any idea about my practice. Mostly because I don't go around ANNOUNCING that I am abstaining from meat.

I normally bring a salad to work for my lunch. On other days it may include some chicken or other meat. On Fridays it's either all vegetables or may include some seafood. If anyone notices it's only that "she's having a salad for lunch again."

If I go out to dinner on a Friday, someone else may order a steak and my comment is "oh, the salmon sounds awfully good." Well yes, the salmon does sound good so why shouldn't I choose it? It's no big deal.

People only notice your diet if you call attention to it. So don't.
Old May 19, '17, 10:03 am
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuscipeMeDomine View Post
This is true. There are so many people these days who are vegetarian by choice, or have meatless days either for their health or because that's what they like to eat. Many restaurants that serve meat have fish and/or vegetarian options because there are so many people who don't want meat just as a matter of diet. So unless you make a big announcement about abstaining from meat due to religion, people just assume it's either your preference to have the salad or a medical/ health choice.

I have many days, Fridays and non-Fridays, where I don't happen to eat meat because I'd rather have a salad or a peanut butter sandwich, so honestly, going without meat for a day or even a few days is not much of a penance for me. I observe the abstinence days in Lent but for real penance I have to do something else.
Old May 19, '17, 11:57 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuscipeMeDomine View Post
See the Catechism: The Many Forms of Penance in Christian Life

See also the "Pastoral Statement on Penance and Abstinence" issued by the US Conference of Catholic Bishops. Paragraph 27 addresses your question:
27. It would bring great glory to God and good to souls if Fridays found our people doing volunteer work in hospitals, visiting the sick, serving the needs of the aged and the lonely, instructing the young in the Faith, participating as Christians in community affairs, and meeting our obligations to our families, our friends,our neighbors, and our community, including our parishes, with a special zeal born of the desire to add the merit of penance to the other virtues exercised in good works born of living faith.

I also have to comment on your statement: ...it annoys my friends to no end that I won't eat meat on Fridays any day of the year anymore.

How is it that your friends even know that you are abstaining from meat?

I don't eat meat on Fridays and I seriously doubt that my friends or co-workers have any idea about my practice. Mostly because I don't go around ANNOUNCING that I am abstaining from meat.

I normally bring a salad to work for my lunch. On other days it may include some chicken or other meat. On Fridays it's either all vegetables or may include some seafood. If anyone notices it's only that "she's having a salad for lunch again."

If I go out to dinner on a Friday, someone else may order a steak and my comment is "oh, the salmon sounds awfully good." Well yes, the salmon does sound good so why shouldn't I choose it? It's no big deal.

Sorry, I wasn't being very clear. I don't mean that I blab it to them all the time. Usually I go out with friends on Friday, so they question why I still won't eat meat even though Lent is over. I meant to say it baffles my friends, I wouldn't really say it annoys them. Sorry about that.
Old May 19, '17, 1:04 pm

Question Re: Friday Penance

Quote:
Originally Posted by giuseppe96 View Post
Sorry, I wasn't being very clear. I don't mean that I blab it to them all the time. Usually I go out with friends on Friday, so they question why I still won't eat meat even though Lent is over. I meant to say it baffles my friends, I wouldn't really say it annoys them. Sorry about that.
And this makes you want to switch the penance that you do?
Old May 20, '17, 4:45 am
Forum Elder

Quote:
Can anyone tell me what other forms of Penance we may perform on Friday rather than fasting or abstinence. I only recently found out that we are still required to perform penance on Fridays even outside of Lent, so it annoys my friends to no end that I won't eat meat on Fridays any day of the year anymore.
If you live in the USA then outside Lent you are NOT required to abstain from eating meat on Fridays. You may perform any form of penance. For example, pray the Rosary.
Old May 20, '17, 7:08 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianistclare View Post
By my own opinion, I don't do "extra" prayer as a self-imposed penance. I enjoy praying, It's not a burden or sacrifice to me. So I do other things. What you do may be totally different. But I do find joy in prayers.
peace
Great.

And for me the "extra" prayer is a sacrifice as it takes time away from something I might be doing for recreation.
Old May 20, '17, 8:10 am
Prayer Warrior

I think many people enjoy praying to some degree. They might also enjoy the other service works mentioned above in the thread, like visiting the elderly, instructing children and volunteering in hospitals, etc. That doesn't mean the prayers or works can't also have penitential value if done in the right spirit.

Penance can be a way to challenge yourself to serve or make reparation in new ways. But it doesn't always have to be a hardship or dislikable, or to put it another way, if you want that type of penance, you could just make a special effort to offer up all of the annoyance that happen to you in a given day, because there's going to be a bunch, from having to do housework or work tasks that you don't like, to having a frustrating commute, or some type of pain from an illness, or store clerks being rude, or friends disagreeing with you over something, etc.

To each his own of course...I think the idea is to offer lots of options so that everybody can find their own best way to "observe" Fridays.
Old May 20, '17, 12:35 pm
Forum Master

Religion: Informed, practicing RomanCatholic

Quote:
Humility seems to demand to FAST as you now know is the rule.

REAL [sacrificial] works of charity might be substituted with a lesser merit to you than fasting

God Bless

http://working4christtwo.wordpress.com

A.B. Fulton Sheen: "The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it, and a lie is still a lie, even if everybody believes it."
Old May 22, '17, 8:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatter163 View Post
And this makes you want to switch the penance that you do?
No it doesn't. I just wanted some examples of penance I could perform in place of, or along with, abstinence from meat.
Old May 22, '17, 9:41 pm

I don't understand, why it would annoy them??

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism