Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #1  
Old Jan 15, '09, 7:10 pm
dumbseeker dumbseeker is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: October 6, 2008
Posts: 126
Default What should a homosexual person do

I am curious about the teachings on homosexuality. Since homosexual acts are immoral, does that mean the homosexuals should not have sex forever?

Can they be priests?
  #2  
Old Jan 15, '09, 7:31 pm
jean8 jean8 is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: February 25, 2008
Posts: 817
Religion: LCMS
Default Re: What should a homosexual person do

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbseeker View Post
I am curious about the teachings on homosexuality. Since homosexual acts are immoral, does that mean the homosexuals should not have sex forever?

Can they be priests?
The Bible teaches us about all sexuals sins. See Rom.1:18-32
Take the sin of stealing.If a persons repents and turns away from this sin, he is no longer regarded as a thief.
The same can be said of a homosexual. This is a chosen lifesytle. God didn't create you this way. You can't blame the Lord.
Repent and sin no more. If a woman is so replusive to you I guess you have brought this on yourself. You have two choices, be celibate or find a nice lady to love. and marry her. Many men have done this.
Jesus said, "go and sin no more", to the woman caught in the sin of adultery. I have have always wondered why the man in this story wasn't mentioned. Was he to be stoned?
Heterosexuals are not to be sexually active either. Rom.1 covers this area also. So you see, we all have our cross to bear.

God bless you as you search for God's truth,
jean8
  #3  
Old Jan 15, '09, 7:50 pm
caudy caudy is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: December 23, 2008
Posts: 31
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: What should a homosexual person do

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean8 View Post
The Bible teaches us about all sexuals sins. See Rom.1:18-32
Take the sin of stealing.If a persons repents and turns away from this sin, he is no longer regarded as a thief.
The same can be said of a homosexual. This is a chosen lifesytle. God didn't create you this way. You can't blame the Lord.
Repent and sin no more. If a woman is so replusive to you I guess you have brought this on yourself. You have two choices, be celibate or find a nice lady to love. and marry her. Many men have done this.
Jesus said, "go and sin no more", to the woman caught in the sin of adultery. I have have always wondered why the man in this story wasn't mentioned. Was he to be stoned?
Heterosexuals are not to be sexually active either. Rom.1 covers this area also. So you see, we all have our cross to bear.

God bless you as you search for God's truth,
jean8

I would say that acting on homosexual desires is a choice which would be comparable to an alcholic taking a drink (leading to drunkeness which is a mortal sin). Being an alcoholic is not a choice just as being a homosexual is likely not a choice either. That doesn't mean just because we have an internal desire towards something it's OK to indulge in it. On the contrary, that individual must fight much harder to overcome those desires or addictions. They may or may not ever go away but with God's help we don't have to act on them.
  #4  
Old Jan 15, '09, 8:30 pm
Beltany13 Beltany13 is offline
Banned
Prayer Warrior
Book Club Member
 
Join Date: January 15, 2009
Posts: 98
Religion: Catholic
Send a message via Yahoo to Beltany13
Default Re: What should a homosexual person do

I think whether or not one can choose his or her sexual orientation is a foregone conclusion. I did not wake up one day and decide to be a heterosexual, so I can only surmise that homosexual persons, in general, do not decide their orientation.

However, I've researched the issue quite a bit and it's been proven that homosexuals are more likely than heterosexuals to develop a mental illness. Some argue this is because of all the "hate and discrimination" they face; upon closer inspection, this argument fails.

A Dutch Study concluded that homosexuals in the Netherlands (a very accepting society) were also more at risk. (http://archpsyc.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/full/58/1/85)

The implication these studies make are simple: Homosexuality itself may in fact be a mental illness. Given that, I think the alcoholism analogy above was very good. Being an alcoholic is not a choice, but a disease. Is homosexuality a disease? The APA and several other notable organizations say no. Groups like NARTH and studies like the one above indicate that it may be.

Who knows? God.

The bottom line, however, is simple: Engaging in homosexual sex is a choice - period. The Bible says it is a sin, and if you believe the Bible is inerrant, then it is a sin.

We all sin. I sin. You sin. All of us. I guess what matters, truly, is whether or not we repent and refrain from sinning over and over. Going out and having gay sex then dropping to one knee, praying and asking for forgiveness, then doing it all over again probably won't cut it. You have to change your ways. If you can't change your orientation (and some research suggests that you can), then perhaps abstinence is your only recourse.

God Bless.
  #5  
Old Jan 16, '09, 5:22 am
caudy caudy is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: December 23, 2008
Posts: 31
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: What should a homosexual person do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beltany13 View Post

We all sin. I sin. You sin. All of us. I guess what matters, truly, is whether or not we repent and refrain from sinning over and over. Going out and having gay sex then dropping to one knee, praying and asking for forgiveness, then doing it all over again probably won't cut it. You have to change your ways. If you can't change your orientation (and some research suggests that you can), then perhaps abstinence is your only recourse.

God Bless.
Yes, I agree. I've been a recovering alcoholic for five years, I have not relapsed once. That doesn't mean there weren't times where I was tempted but I knew that my only chance at survival and salvation was total abstinence. Others in the program have relapsed a number of times, come back and kept up the good fight. Still others have fallen victim to the disease of alcoholism and are currently suffering or died. Is the alcoholic who does not recover before death destined for Hell? I don't know, only God knows our hearts. I think HE gives us just enough of what we need to overcome sin so long as we are willing to follow HIS will. I would think the same principles apply to homesexuality (lust), obesity (gluttony), gambling addiction (greed), etc. One thing to note is that abstinence obviously isn't possible for a person battling obesity, however I'm in the field of bariatric surgery and I can say that this procedure has allowed many suffering individuals a means to overcome their addiction. Keep in mind there is a mental aspect to any physical addiction and this must be addressed as well.
  #6  
Old Jan 16, '09, 7:03 am
Christine Lee Christine Lee is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: November 8, 2008
Posts: 98
Religion: RCIA
Send a message via Yahoo to Christine Lee
Default Re: What should a homosexual person do

The no homo-sex ever is a tough one, especially when trying to explain it to a nonbeliever. But in my situation I came to terms that God's perfect and eternal love is worth giving up the homosexual lifestyle. I decided that if I can't find a good man to love than I shall willingly live the rest of my years celibately.
  #7  
Old Jan 21, '09, 4:45 pm
Lemonja Lemonja is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: October 22, 2008
Posts: 9
Religion: Catholic
Thumbs up Re: What should a homosexual person do

Quote:
Originally Posted by caudy View Post
Yes, I agree. I've been a recovering alcoholic for five years, I have not relapsed once. That doesn't mean there weren't times where I was tempted but I knew that my only chance at survival and salvation was total abstinence. Others in the program have relapsed a number of times, come back and kept up the good fight. Still others have fallen victim to the disease of alcoholism and are currently suffering or died. Is the alcoholic who does not recover before death destined for Hell? I don't know, only God knows our hearts. I think HE gives us just enough of what we need to overcome sin so long as we are willing to follow HIS will. I would think the same principles apply to homesexuality (lust), obesity (gluttony), gambling addiction (greed), etc. One thing to note is that abstinence obviously isn't possible for a person battling obesity, however I'm in the field of bariatric surgery and I can say that this procedure has allowed many suffering individuals a means to overcome their addiction. Keep in mind there is a mental aspect to any physical addiction and this must be addressed as well.
I agree "there is a MENTAL aspect to any physical addiction..." I think SOCIETY + RITUAL only could resolve these problems; I mean if society accepted " astray sensuality between boy/boy or girl/girl", this "astray sensuality" would be deeply rooted.

Modern society creates new WORDS that allow someone any immorality; I mean I don't understand, for instance, "sex = anus". Penis is ordered to vagina for a new life. Penis is not ordered to anus for your own pleasure! So then, I don't understand why be a boy who desires to penetrate his penis into the anus of his friend (a boy one) would called "homo-SEX-ual", because anus is not sex! Biologically, anus is for excretion (not for penetration)?
  #8  
Old Jan 21, '09, 4:51 pm
Shlomey Shlomey is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: November 12, 2008
Posts: 310
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: What should a homosexual person do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonja View Post
I agree "there is a MENTAL aspect to any physical addiction..." I think SOCIETY + RITUAL only could resolve these problems; I mean if society accepted " astray sensuality between boy/boy or girl/girl", this "astray sensuality" would be deeply rooted.

Modern society creates new WORDS that allow someone any immorality; I mean I don't understand, for instance, "sex = anus". Penis is ordered to vagina for a new life. Penis is not ordered to anus for your own pleasure! So then, I don't understand why be a boy who desires to penetrate his penis into the anus of his friend (a boy one) would called "homo-SEX-ual", because anus is not sex! Biologically, anus is for excretion (not for penetration)?
You may be shocked, but living in Germany, we were shown a video that suggested that the anus may be considered a "sex organ"; also because of the idea that the male "g-spot" was best stimulated by anal penetration.


However, all this - of course - does not make sense when we observe the functions of the REPRODUCTIVE organs.
There's semen for a reason: the egg cell.

To find truth, we examine a "trinity":

Why? How? What for?

These three lead to: sex: man & woman
__________________
And unto whomsoever much is given, of him much shall be required."Luke 12:48.
  #9  
Old Jan 21, '09, 7:22 pm
Lemonja Lemonja is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: October 22, 2008
Posts: 9
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: What should a homosexual person do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shlomey View Post
You may be shocked, but living in Germany, we were shown a video that suggested that the anus may be considered a "sex organ"; also because of the idea that the male "g-spot" was best stimulated by anal penetration.


However, all this - of course - does not make sense when we observe the functions of the REPRODUCTIVE organs.
There's semen for a reason: the egg cell.

To find truth, we examine a "trinity":

Why? How? What for?

These three lead to: sex: man & woman


Thank you for you reply me ASAP.
Don't think I would be "shocked": never am I ! This is a DIA-logue, so, very happy to meet you!
  #10  
Old Jan 17, '09, 10:15 pm
jean8 jean8 is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: February 25, 2008
Posts: 817
Religion: LCMS
Default Re: What should a homosexual person do

Quote:
Originally Posted by caudy View Post
I would say that acting on homosexual desires is a choice which would be comparable to an alcholic taking a drink (leading to drunkeness which is a mortal sin). Being an alcoholic is not a choice just as being a homosexual is likely not a choice either. That doesn't mean just because we have an internal desire towards something it's OK to indulge in it. On the contrary, that individual must fight much harder to overcome those desires or addictions. They may or may not ever go away but with God's help we don't have to act on them.

caudy,
Achoholism is a decease This is a chronic disorder, an exsessive use of strong drink.With some people this requires medical help to overcome.
With homosexuality, The Bible refers to this lifestyle as sin. One that God hates. You have said that this is a choice, which is correct. Some are not aware of this as sin. However the Lord has condenmed this act as perversion.
Rom.1:24 reads "therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts to sinful impurity for the degrading of their bodies with ine another. 25. They exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served things rather than the creator-who is forever to be praised."
26. "Because of this God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural ones. 27. In the same way men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with one another. "they received unto themselves the due penalty for their perversion.
btw, I do not judge anyone, I am merely quoting scripture.

God bless,
jean8

Sin is always a choice, no matter what the sin is.

God bless,
jean8
I think God always gives us a nudge on our conscience when we are doing something wrong. This begins when we are children.
  #11  
Old Jan 18, '09, 11:37 am
caudy caudy is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: December 23, 2008
Posts: 31
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: What should a homosexual person do

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean8 View Post
caudy,
Achoholism is a decease This is a chronic disorder, an exsessive use of strong drink.With some people this requires medical help to overcome.
With homosexuality, The Bible refers to this lifestyle as sin. One that God hates. You have said that this is a choice, which is correct. Some are not aware of this as sin. However the Lord has condenmed this act as perversion.
Rom.1:24 reads "therefore God gave them over in the sinful desires of their hearts to sinful impurity for the degrading of their bodies with ine another. 25. They exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served things rather than the creator-who is forever to be praised."
26. "Because of this God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural relations for unnatural ones. 27. In the same way men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with one another. "they received unto themselves the due penalty for their perversion.
btw, I do not judge anyone, I am merely quoting scripture.

God bless,
jean8

Sin is always a choice, no matter what the sin is.

God bless,
jean8
I think God always gives us a nudge on our conscience when we are doing something wrong. This begins when we are children.
Jean8,
Thanks. Yes Alcoholism is a disease, I know it "runs" in my family and I am a recovering alkie with five years of sobriety. As far as what kind of disease, is it physical, chemical, mental, spiritual?....probably all the above. Alcoholism is NOT necessarily an excessive use of drink (usually), it can be someone who can't handle one drink! Alcohol is not the problem but the symptom of the disorder.

In the bible, it also speaks of Alcoholism although it doesn't use that specific word because it did not exist at the time. Instead it states drunkards may not enter Heaven, "Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God." - Corinth 6:9-10.

In this passage it is specific stated that neither drunkards nor sexually immoral may enter the kingdom of God. This is grouping the ACTS of both excessive drinking and homosexuality as grave matters. It is not stating that Alcoholics or Homosexuals cannot enter Heaven, only those who are acting out.

As far as my statment about choice that you referenced above....I said it is a choice to commit the homosexual ACT not necessarily to BE homosexual. THAT IS THE DIFFERENCE. Homosexuality (the desire) has not been proven to be only a choice. It is likely some kind of disease (whether mental, physical, genetic etc we don't know for sure just like alcoholism). Now just like with Alcholism there is grey area. Just like there are people who can drink excessively on a continuing basis and stop (not alcholics just heavy drinkers), there are possibly some individuals who have sexual relations with the same gender but are not homosexual. Some call these individuals bi-sexual.

I fight the desire to take a drink on a daily basis (this is not a choice). In the same manner a true homosexual who is in recovery fights the desire to be with someone of the same sex.
I have been without drink for five years and my cravings have greatly diminished over time. A homosexual who wills to be celebate will also experience diminished desires but they will always be homosexual as I am always going to be an alcoholic.
  #12  
Old Jan 21, '09, 11:08 am
block block is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: August 10, 2007
Posts: 103
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: What should a homosexual person do

Quote:
Originally Posted by caudy View Post
I would say that acting on homosexual desires is a choice which would be comparable to an alcholic taking a drink (leading to drunkeness which is a mortal sin). Being an alcoholic is not a choice just as being a homosexual is likely not a choice either. That doesn't mean just because we have an internal desire towards something it's OK to indulge in it. On the contrary, that individual must fight much harder to overcome those desires or addictions. They may or may not ever go away but with God's help we don't have to act on them.
You don't think homosexuality is a choice? I don't understand this statement. I do agree that in very very rare cases a person can be born with this disease, but I would say that a good majority of homosexuals were not born that way, and somewhere down the line allowed themselves to become brainwashed. Homosexuality is a choice, and it's an evil choice. It is blind lust that serves no purpose other than fulfilling selfish pleasure.
__________________
I Didn't Know That GOD Was ALL I Needed Until HE Was ALL That I Had Left.

Though I Walk Amongst The Shadows Where These Demons Patrol, I Will Not Fear The One Who Can Harm My Body, Only The One Who Will Judge My Soul.
  #13  
Old Jan 21, '09, 11:13 am
Teen4Christ's Avatar
Teen4Christ Teen4Christ is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: October 15, 2007
Posts: 2,877
Religion: Unitarian
Default Re: What should a homosexual person do

Quote:
Originally Posted by block View Post
You don't think homosexuality is a choice? I don't understand this statement. I do agree that in very very rare cases a person can be born with this disease, but I would say that a good majority of homosexuals were not born that way, and somewhere down the line allowed themselves to become brainwashed. Homosexuality is a choice, and it's an evil choice. It is blind lust that serves no purpose other than fulfilling selfish pleasure.




I disagree, most gays are not brainwashed, the only gays that are are those who choose to deny their feelings and ex-gays
__________________
+=
  #14  
Old Jan 21, '09, 4:18 pm
StAnastasia StAnastasia is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: September 29, 2008
Posts: 9,081
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: What should a homosexual person do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teen4Christ View Post
:I disagree, most gays are not brainwashed, the only gays that are are those who choose to deny their feelings and ex-gays
There is a Facebook Group called Gay Marriage Killed the Dinosaurs:

"This group is for people who understand the grave risks of gay marriage. Some suggest gay marriage will merely undermine one of our most fundamental societal institutions, causing countless straight couples to get divorced because exclusion of gays was the only thing holding their marriage together.

But we know better. Gay marriage killed the dinosaurs. If we let liberal activist judges in Massachusetts and California set the course, the blood will run in rivers. Mixed with molten lava."

Two of the reasons:

9. Straight marriages are valid because they produce children. Gay couples, infertile couples, and old people shouldn't be allowed to marry because our orphanages aren't full yet, and the world needs more children.

7. Straight marriage will be less meaningful if gay marriage were allowed; the sanctity of Britany Spears' 55-hour just-for-fun marriage would be destroyed.
  #15  
Old Jan 21, '09, 4:39 pm
Teen4Christ's Avatar
Teen4Christ Teen4Christ is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: October 15, 2007
Posts: 2,877
Religion: Unitarian
Default Re: What should a homosexual person do

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAnastasia View Post
There is a Facebook Group called Gay Marriage Killed the Dinosaurs:

"This group is for people who understand the grave risks of gay marriage. Some suggest gay marriage will merely undermine one of our most fundamental societal institutions, causing countless straight couples to get divorced because exclusion of gays was the only thing holding their marriage together.

But we know better. Gay marriage killed the dinosaurs. If we let liberal activist judges in Massachusetts and California set the course, the blood will run in rivers. Mixed with molten lava."

Two of the reasons:

9. Straight marriages are valid because they produce children. Gay couples, infertile couples, and old people shouldn't be allowed to marry because our orphanages aren't full yet, and the world needs more children.

7. Straight marriage will be less meaningful if gay marriage were allowed; the sanctity of Britany Spears' 55-hour just-for-fun marriage would be destroyed.
Lol, I love that list.
__________________
+=
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump




Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
6628CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: Vim71
6217Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: RJB
5190Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: grateful_child
4631Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: DesertSister62
4309Poems and Reflections
Last by: Purgatory Pete
4055OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: Fischli
3293For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: GLam8833
3261Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: Herculees
2828Let's Empty Purgatory 2
Last by: Tis Bearself
2449SOLITUDE
Last by: tuscany



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 9:38 am.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.