Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #106  
Old Jan 21, '09, 4:18 pm
StAnastasia StAnastasia is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: September 29, 2008
Posts: 9,081
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: What should a homosexual person do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teen4Christ View Post
:I disagree, most gays are not brainwashed, the only gays that are are those who choose to deny their feelings and ex-gays
There is a Facebook Group called Gay Marriage Killed the Dinosaurs:

"This group is for people who understand the grave risks of gay marriage. Some suggest gay marriage will merely undermine one of our most fundamental societal institutions, causing countless straight couples to get divorced because exclusion of gays was the only thing holding their marriage together.

But we know better. Gay marriage killed the dinosaurs. If we let liberal activist judges in Massachusetts and California set the course, the blood will run in rivers. Mixed with molten lava."

Two of the reasons:

9. Straight marriages are valid because they produce children. Gay couples, infertile couples, and old people shouldn't be allowed to marry because our orphanages aren't full yet, and the world needs more children.

7. Straight marriage will be less meaningful if gay marriage were allowed; the sanctity of Britany Spears' 55-hour just-for-fun marriage would be destroyed.
  #107  
Old Jan 21, '09, 4:27 pm
Shlomey Shlomey is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: November 12, 2008
Posts: 310
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: What should a homosexual person do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin42 View Post
Good points indeed! As I said, I wish I could find something more in depth and authoritative on this issue, but I have yet to come across such a thing.

I should also clarify that I was not implying that all men with SSA are incapable of getting married and fulfilling the duties that come with marriage. I was simply saying that in my discussions with others, this is something that has come up as possibly being important in discerning ones vocation.

Peace and good!
There is this widespread view amongst many people to simply throw all homosexuals into one basket. It is quite convenient since it is less complicated and judgements can be passed faster.

But all this, I think, is a product of lacking of charity.
Charity ought to make us seek the person, not his sexuality, grades, etc..
Sexuality is one aspect of the human nature, not its entirety.

I guess there are plently on both sides who over-stress this issue.
Those who are ultra-liberal and those who almost try to be holier than the Saints

To me, being married to a woman in the literal sense is not really the issue when it comes to priesthood, but the notion of "Fatherhood". A priest is more a father than a "literal husband".
I mean, the analogy of the husband and wife is really neat, but we also know that priests before were married and some are allowed to marry even in the Western tradition: so do they have two wives now? The Church and their wife?

The priest is an alter Christus, a Shepherd, a father.

That to me is not restricted to any sexual preference which in the end would be totally irrelevant anyways as one is to leave sexuality out of the picture anyways. It's about being a minister of the sacraments and a spiritual "leader" for the laity.

I'ma stop babbling now
__________________
And unto whomsoever much is given, of him much shall be required."Luke 12:48.
  #108  
Old Jan 21, '09, 4:32 pm
StAnastasia StAnastasia is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: September 29, 2008
Posts: 9,081
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: What should a homosexual person do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shlomey View Post
That to me is not restricted to any sexual preference which in the end would be totally irrelevant
What is a "sexual preference"?
  #109  
Old Jan 21, '09, 4:39 pm
Teen4Christ's Avatar
Teen4Christ Teen4Christ is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: October 15, 2007
Posts: 2,877
Religion: Unitarian
Default Re: What should a homosexual person do

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAnastasia View Post
There is a Facebook Group called Gay Marriage Killed the Dinosaurs:

"This group is for people who understand the grave risks of gay marriage. Some suggest gay marriage will merely undermine one of our most fundamental societal institutions, causing countless straight couples to get divorced because exclusion of gays was the only thing holding their marriage together.

But we know better. Gay marriage killed the dinosaurs. If we let liberal activist judges in Massachusetts and California set the course, the blood will run in rivers. Mixed with molten lava."

Two of the reasons:

9. Straight marriages are valid because they produce children. Gay couples, infertile couples, and old people shouldn't be allowed to marry because our orphanages aren't full yet, and the world needs more children.

7. Straight marriage will be less meaningful if gay marriage were allowed; the sanctity of Britany Spears' 55-hour just-for-fun marriage would be destroyed.
Lol, I love that list.
__________________
+=
  #110  
Old Jan 21, '09, 4:45 pm
Lemonja Lemonja is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: October 22, 2008
Posts: 9
Religion: Catholic
Thumbs up Re: What should a homosexual person do

Quote:
Originally Posted by caudy View Post
Yes, I agree. I've been a recovering alcoholic for five years, I have not relapsed once. That doesn't mean there weren't times where I was tempted but I knew that my only chance at survival and salvation was total abstinence. Others in the program have relapsed a number of times, come back and kept up the good fight. Still others have fallen victim to the disease of alcoholism and are currently suffering or died. Is the alcoholic who does not recover before death destined for Hell? I don't know, only God knows our hearts. I think HE gives us just enough of what we need to overcome sin so long as we are willing to follow HIS will. I would think the same principles apply to homesexuality (lust), obesity (gluttony), gambling addiction (greed), etc. One thing to note is that abstinence obviously isn't possible for a person battling obesity, however I'm in the field of bariatric surgery and I can say that this procedure has allowed many suffering individuals a means to overcome their addiction. Keep in mind there is a mental aspect to any physical addiction and this must be addressed as well.
I agree "there is a MENTAL aspect to any physical addiction..." I think SOCIETY + RITUAL only could resolve these problems; I mean if society accepted " astray sensuality between boy/boy or girl/girl", this "astray sensuality" would be deeply rooted.

Modern society creates new WORDS that allow someone any immorality; I mean I don't understand, for instance, "sex = anus". Penis is ordered to vagina for a new life. Penis is not ordered to anus for your own pleasure! So then, I don't understand why be a boy who desires to penetrate his penis into the anus of his friend (a boy one) would called "homo-SEX-ual", because anus is not sex! Biologically, anus is for excretion (not for penetration)?
  #111  
Old Jan 21, '09, 4:46 pm
Shlomey Shlomey is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: November 12, 2008
Posts: 310
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: What should a homosexual person do

Quote:
Originally Posted by StAnastasia View Post
What is a "sexual preference"?
I meant to write sexual orientation. Pardon

Actually, preference may also fit it:

some guys like blondes, others brunnettes, etc.

All this doesn't matter when you know what you are: a priest.
__________________
And unto whomsoever much is given, of him much shall be required."Luke 12:48.
  #112  
Old Jan 21, '09, 4:51 pm
Shlomey Shlomey is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: November 12, 2008
Posts: 310
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: What should a homosexual person do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonja View Post
I agree "there is a MENTAL aspect to any physical addiction..." I think SOCIETY + RITUAL only could resolve these problems; I mean if society accepted " astray sensuality between boy/boy or girl/girl", this "astray sensuality" would be deeply rooted.

Modern society creates new WORDS that allow someone any immorality; I mean I don't understand, for instance, "sex = anus". Penis is ordered to vagina for a new life. Penis is not ordered to anus for your own pleasure! So then, I don't understand why be a boy who desires to penetrate his penis into the anus of his friend (a boy one) would called "homo-SEX-ual", because anus is not sex! Biologically, anus is for excretion (not for penetration)?
You may be shocked, but living in Germany, we were shown a video that suggested that the anus may be considered a "sex organ"; also because of the idea that the male "g-spot" was best stimulated by anal penetration.


However, all this - of course - does not make sense when we observe the functions of the REPRODUCTIVE organs.
There's semen for a reason: the egg cell.

To find truth, we examine a "trinity":

Why? How? What for?

These three lead to: sex: man & woman
__________________
And unto whomsoever much is given, of him much shall be required."Luke 12:48.
  #113  
Old Jan 21, '09, 7:01 pm
petsr4ever petsr4ever is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: November 13, 2008
Posts: 44
Religion: ex-Catholic
Send a message via MSN to petsr4ever
Default Re: What should a homosexual person do

Just to set the record straight, homosexuality is not a choice.
Now you can argue about whether or not a person who is homosexual should remain celebate or not, but nevertheless, IT IS NOT A CHOSEN LIFESTYLE.
  #114  
Old Jan 21, '09, 7:22 pm
Lemonja Lemonja is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: October 22, 2008
Posts: 9
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: What should a homosexual person do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shlomey View Post
You may be shocked, but living in Germany, we were shown a video that suggested that the anus may be considered a "sex organ"; also because of the idea that the male "g-spot" was best stimulated by anal penetration.


However, all this - of course - does not make sense when we observe the functions of the REPRODUCTIVE organs.
There's semen for a reason: the egg cell.

To find truth, we examine a "trinity":

Why? How? What for?

These three lead to: sex: man & woman


Thank you for you reply me ASAP.
Don't think I would be "shocked": never am I ! This is a DIA-logue, so, very happy to meet you!
  #115  
Old Jan 21, '09, 10:28 pm
caydamien02 caydamien02 is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: July 22, 2007
Posts: 22
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: What should a homosexual person do

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean8
The Bible teaches us about all sexuals sins. See Rom.1:18-32
Take the sin of stealing.If a persons repents and turns away from this sin, he is no longer regarded as a thief.
The same can be said of a homosexual. This is a chosen lifesytle. God didn't create you this way. You can't blame the Lord.
the text you refering to indicates that sex is ALSO sinful. stealing my brother, brings harm and violates the 7th and 10th commandments. you saying routine sex with husband/wife also sinful act? because penetration, orgasm, pleasure also happen. gosh you live in a wrong world. nevertheless, none in the scriptural text you mentioned nor any in the bible prohibits a same-sex loving relationship. is homosexual is a 'lifestyle'? so gaymen also have the rights to accuse your heterosexual "lifestyle". Sorry brother, God knit US since we were in our mother's womb. nobody is blaming the Lord for making us like this until when you religious bigot brainwashed us Catholic to assume it is unnatural stubborn to science and psychological studies. you are one of the reason why Catholic gaymen stop going to Church saying "what's the point of Christ's blood anyway, if we're still going to hell!". Christians love to mis-quotes the bible to point their brother's weaknesses. the Orthodox-Roman Catholicism, Protestant-Catholic, Jehovah Wits-SDA, Mormon-Masons. LOL! Rom.1:18-32 is one of them.

Sancta Mariae, Mater Dei, Ora Pro Nobis
  #116  
Old Jan 21, '09, 11:49 pm
caydamien02 caydamien02 is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: July 22, 2007
Posts: 22
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: What should a homosexual person do

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumbseeker
I am curious about the teachings on homosexuality. Since homosexual acts are immoral, does that mean the homosexuals should not have sex forever?

Can they be priests?
immoral? well, depends! heterosexual sex also can be immoral if one violates the 6th commandment. so the heterosexual should not have sex forever?..LOL.. what is the reason for celibacy anyway? is it a choice? celibacy is a gift. a decision one's made when s/he experienced the deep relationship with the TRINITY-GOD. our Lord spoke about it in Matthew 19.

sex in the beginning for the means of experiencing the unspeakable expression of Love between two human being. it became sin when men love sex more than they love God. violates its true purpose of sex=COMPANIONSHIP=loyalty. That is having sex with multiple partners and abandoning the intention of the Creator for the everlasting and eternal love. if a man could violates the loyalty, he mocked God for making Eve out of Adam. that is what happen after the fall of Adam&Eve.

it is immoral when a hetero having sex with a homo. obviously the bible quoted by the Church are same-sex behaviour between straight men or straight with gaymen. never does it mentioned that sex between a two loving gay couples. if it does please show me! there are no Scriptural reference and early Church Fathers writings that says same-sex love if sinful! St.Thomas Aquinas in his summa theologicae suggest that homosexuality is inculpable. "Homosexuality," he says, "is called 'the unnatural vice' by the common people, and hence it may be said to be unnatural." this is a common response to popular prejudices at that time. note that 'common people' instead of saying 'God', 'Church', 'Jesus', 'Bible' or at least 'all people'.

can the homosexual have sex? what is the REAL purpose of sex? is it love? is it procreation? or pleasures? it could be all it could be just one or two of them? so we should looked at the impotence couples, wife with cervical cancer, longtime-married heterosexual couples with stress/hectic job/trauma etc, and the homosexual couples as well. this is for you to reflect on.

gay priests? what's wrong? you can google up historical gay priest, bishop, archbishop and pope over the centuries. they do not put under curse like St.Paul mentioned in Romans 1:29-32. infact they are very tolerable and gentle shepherds. the Roman Church agreed that the Church will be protected from hades no matter what pope governs it. so why worry about gay seminarian? if they choose celibacy-(for Roman Church not Old Catholic or Orthodox). why not worried heterosexual Roman Cath. seminarian will not have mistress?-infact many leave priesthood to get married. why not worried heterosexual seminarian who will rape children and engage in child-porn? or any pedophilial acts? why must a sincere Catholic gaymen who are called to serve God be a victim of such prejudicial law? Catholics wake up!

Sancta Mariae, Mater Dei, Ora Pro Nobis.

p.s - it's alright boy, if vatican rejects you, there are always an independent Old Catholic Jurisdictions which offers you the valid Apostolic Succession for your ordination that even Roman can't deny it's validity although illicit for the Office matter.

Pax in nomine Christe.
  #117  
Old Jan 22, '09, 12:14 am
Lemonja Lemonja is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: October 22, 2008
Posts: 9
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: What should a homosexual person do

Quote:
Originally Posted by caydamien02 View Post
immoral? well, depends! heterosexual sex also can be immoral if one violates the 6th commandment. so the heterosexual should not have sex forever?..LOL.. what is the reason for celibacy anyway? is it a choice? celibacy is a gift. a decision one's made when s/he experienced the deep relationship with the TRINITY-GOD. our Lord spoke about it in Matthew 19.

sex in the beginning for the means of experiencing the unspeakable expression of Love between two human being. it became sin when men love sex more than they love God. violates its true purpose of sex=COMPANIONSHIP=loyalty. That is having sex with multiple partners and abandoning the intention of the Creator for the everlasting and eternal love. if a man could violates the loyalty, he mocked God for making Eve out of Adam. that is what happen after the fall of Adam&Eve.

it is immoral when a hetero having sex with a homo. obviously the bible quoted by the Church are same-sex behaviour between straight men or straight with gaymen. never does it mentioned that sex between a two loving gay couples. if it does please show me! there are no Scriptural reference and early Church Fathers writings that says same-sex love if sinful! St.Thomas Aquinas in his summa theologicae suggest that homosexuality is inculpable. "Homosexuality," he says, "is called 'the unnatural vice' by the common people, and hence it may be said to be unnatural." this is a common response to popular prejudices at that time. note that 'common people' instead of saying 'God', 'Church', 'Jesus', 'Bible' or at least 'all people'.

can the homosexual have sex? what is the REAL purpose of sex? is it love? is it procreation? or pleasures? it could be all it could be just one or two of them? so we should looked at the impotence couples, wife with cervical cancer, longtime-married heterosexual couples with stress/hectic job/trauma etc, and the homosexual couples as well. this is for you to reflect on.

gay priests? what's wrong? you can google up historical gay priest, bishop, archbishop and pope over the centuries. they do not put under curse like St.Paul mentioned in Romans 1:29-32. infact they are very tolerable and gentle shepherds. the Roman Church agreed that the Church will be protected from hades no matter what pope governs it. so why worry about gay seminarian? if they choose celibacy-(for Roman Church not Old Catholic or Orthodox). why not worried heterosexual Roman Cath. seminarian will not have mistress?-infact many leave priesthood to get married. why not worried heterosexual seminarian who will rape children and engage in child-porn? or any pedophilial acts? why must a sincere Catholic gaymen who are called to serve God be a victim of such prejudicial law? Catholics wake up!

Sancta Mariae, Mater Dei, Ora Pro Nobis.

p.s - it's alright boy, if vatican rejects you, there are always an independent Old Catholic Jurisdictions which offers you the valid Apostolic Succession for your ordination that even Roman can't deny it's validity although illicit for the Office matter.

Pax in nomine Christe.
My problem is about language or words... I have a friend called (by "common people") "homosexual" : I don't know if I should say "he" or "she"... Before I thought "he" is a boy, but after I discover this "boy" is a "homosexual" I wonder "it" is a "boy" or a "girl"?
  #118  
Old Jan 22, '09, 12:26 am
po18guy's Avatar
po18guy po18guy is offline
Forum Elder
 
Join Date: April 18, 2007
Posts: 26,407
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: What should a homosexual person do

Quote:
Originally Posted by petsr4ever View Post
Just to set the record straight, homosexuality is not a choice.
Now you can argue about whether or not a person who is homosexual should remain celebate or not, but nevertheless, IT IS NOT A CHOSEN LIFESTYLE.
Anne Heche might disagree with you, since she has switched twice, apparently of her own volition. If that is not a choice, what is? Agreed that not all are so empowered.

Also, please consider that many who have come to see the disordered nature of the lifestyle (not the inclination!) have either become celibate, or a few even have successful heterosexual relationships. One who posts on these forums viewed the inclination as their "cross to bear", and has come out of the lifestyle.

IMO, it is not natural, but it is also not hopeless. Not with God.
__________________
I say what I have to say and move on. If you have a question, kindly send a private message.

3X cancer survivor: 1) Peripheral T-Cell Lymphoma Not Otherwise Specified, 2) Angioimmunoblastic T-Cell Lymphoma, and 3) Myelodysplastic Syndrome. How?
Eucharist, Anointing, Prayer.
Moderator www.cancerforums.net
  #119  
Old Jan 22, '09, 12:56 am
StAnastasia StAnastasia is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: September 29, 2008
Posts: 9,081
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: What should a homosexual person do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teen4Christ View Post
Lol, I love that list.
That Facebook group has 46,000 members, mostly young. It's partly a generational thing.
  #120  
Old Jan 22, '09, 1:14 am
Bruno Schulz Bruno Schulz is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: June 11, 2008
Posts: 908
Religion: Catholic from conviction
Default Re: The Book of Mose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvadney View Post
referring to what appears to be a scriptural passage apparently in the Book of Mose?
Simply look up in the net e.g. here
http://www.biblegateway.com/
1. Moses 19,5 - 3. Moses 18,22 - 3. Moses 20,13
there it might be called Genesis...

and beware of the temptation of thinking, the Old Testament would be overcome. Its not and never will be.

It was not only the Bible of Jesus Christ out of which He very often quoted and tought - it's also valid today as over 3,000 years ago for
GOD DOES NOT CHANGE HIS MIND
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump




Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
6631CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: tawny
6217Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: RJB
5190Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: grateful_child
4631Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: DesertSister62
4310Poems and Reflections
Last by: PathWalker
4055OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: Fischli
3293For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: GLam8833
3261Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: Herculees
2828Let's Empty Purgatory 2
Last by: Tis Bearself
2449SOLITUDE
Last by: tuscany



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 5:34 pm.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.