Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Eastern Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Mar 11, '17, 7:32 pm
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Religion: Maronite Catholic
Lightbulb Re: Does the Eastern Church have a devotion to the Sacred Heart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcwitness View Post
I always thought the red and blue "rays" coming out from Jesus' heart, symbolizes Baptism and the blood of our Communion sacrifice. I'm pretty sure the EO has valid devotions to these.
In the East, red, a fleshly color, symbolizes the humanity of Jesus and blue, a heavenly color, His divinity.
«Empty yourself to overcome temptation.»
«Lord, have mercy on us and save us.»
Old Mar 13, '17, 11:55 pm

Religion: Catholic (former Evangelical Protestant)
Default Re: Does the Eastern Church have a devotion to the Sacred Heart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casilda View Post
An Eastern Orthodox monk I know was a little horrified by the image, no sacred heart devotion amongst them. They tend to view anything after the Great Schism in the Latin church as a novelty and therefore suspect. Eastern Catholics are free to accept/reject new Latin revelation/devotions.
Some Orthodox are more ecumenically minded when it comes to such matters. A reaction of "horror" seems a bit much...
There are post-schism novelties among the Orthodox as well...even if they like to deny it. Believe it or not 21st century Orthodox is not 100% identical to 10th century Orthodoxy.
Old Mar 14, '17, 9:49 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Syro-Maronite

Quote:
Originally Posted by twf View Post
Some Orthodox are more ecumenically minded when it comes to such matters. A reaction of "horror" seems a bit much...
To be honest, the reaction of horror is fairly ubiquitous outside the Latin Church. The Oriental Orthodox are also generally perturbed by the Sacred Heart devotion. I find it disturbing when taken past a metonym for the mercy of Christ.

Is there an organic Sacred Heart devotion in the East? No.
Old Mar 14, '17, 11:14 am

Religion: Catholic (former Evangelical Protestant)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorEphrem View Post
To be honest, the reaction of horror is fairly ubiquitous outside the Latin Church. The Oriental Orthodox are also generally perturbed by the Sacred Heart devotion. I find it disturbing when taken past a metonym for the mercy of Christ.

Is there an organic Sacred Heart devotion in the East? No.
I think those who act with "horror" are taking it much too literally. There's also a big difference between being perturbed and being horrified. The Sacred Heart represents His divine love and mercy united with his humanity. The heart has long been used as an icon of sorts for the seat of man's love. I have never in any context come over anything that remotely suggests a literal devotion to the beating flesh and blood organ in Our Lord's chest... though of course there is powerful symbolism even there for His physical heart was pierced and from it gushed water and blood...the fonts of the sacraments of baptism and the Eucharist. That is an Eastern image...taught by the Eastern Fathers. If Eastern Fathers like St. John Chrysostom meditated on the Lord's pierced heart and made the connection between the water and blood with the sacraments, as they did, I would argue that a sort of mystical Sacred Heart devotion existed in the East long, long, long before it did in the West. The only issue the East has here seems to boil down to the depiction of a visible red heart on Our Lord's chest in iconography / statuary.
I'm pretty sure images of the Sacred Heart have made their way into some Oriental Orthodox circles? Much more so than in the Byzantine world anyway.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Eastern Catholicism