Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life > Parenting

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Mar 1, '06, 1:00 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default How do you feel about homeshcooling?

In a Road Runner poll, with the question of the title, 8% answered "I homeschool", 44% asnwered "Good idea, but not for me", and 47% said "Bad Idea"

Whats your view, and why do you suppose there is such a division? Technically, the majority are in favor of homeschooling, with 52% for, and 47% against.
Old Mar 1, '06, 1:06 pm

Religion: RC
Default Re: How do you feel about homeshcooling?

I'm all for it if it improves your spelling...
Old Mar 1, '06, 1:17 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Bloody...... mabee eye shoold.
Old Mar 1, '06, 3:04 pm
Forum Master
Prayer Warrior

I have been Homeschooled for about nine years through Seton Home Study School in Virginia. I definately prefer it over public schools. The education is usually much better than public or private schools and you can study your own religion (since so many schools shove anti-Catholic nonsense down the students' throats).
Old Mar 1, '06, 3:09 pm

My opinion is that it depends on both the kids and the parents. Some families homeschool really well. Others are more successful with institutional schooling.

I think it should definitely be an option for all families.
Old Mar 6, '06, 6:24 pm

Religion: Catholic

We home school all four of our children, and have done so since they started in K. We didn't care for what we felt were the bad influences in the government school system. Which was confirmed when we took temp custody of a friends son while she was in the hospital for several months. We maintained him in the public school, and boy what a struggle to "deprogram" him every night from the garbage he was being fed. Especially on homosexual issues; boys are forced to take at least one"traditionally girl" elective (home ec/interior design), the "Gay Day of Silence", which stifles free speech, and his teacher for Interior Design was the counselor for the Gay-Straight alliance. Yucchhh! Of course there was revisionist American history to straighten out.

Also, we both had our own bad experiences in our time in public school growing up, which influenced our decision to homeschool - my wife with bad teachers, and myself with bullies. I was the smallest kid my entire school career. I was beaten up on a regular basis and the teachers/school authorities did nothing but watch "Oh, they're just being kids.". It wasn't until high school when I discovered I was very good at lifting weights and was able to build muscle incredibly fast. Unfortunately, I got cocky, and got into some fights, but for once I wasn't bullied. The bullying actually had a positive effect for me as i got older. It toughened me mentally for submarine duty.

Not everyone is called to do it, so think, diiscuss, and pray carefully before you do.

Ego sum Via, Veritas, et Vita - John 14:6
Old Mar 6, '06, 6:40 pm
Banned

Religion: Catholic - Latin Rite

That is a loaded question around here. It seems you are completely for it or completely against it. As for me, I see as a real alternative to the public schools and heterodox Catholic schools.

PF
Old Mar 6, '06, 6:45 pm
Banned

Religion: Catholic, Latin (Roman) Rite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekerJen
My opinion is that it depends on both the kids and the parents. Some families homeschool really well. Others are more successful with institutional schooling.

I think it should definitely be an option for all families.
agreed.... but I would go one step farther.... it should be the first option for all families.

Afterall, the parents, not the government, are the PRIME educators of their children. I have found that the ones most against home schooling are those families where both parents prefer to work, followed by those were both parents have to work.
Old Mar 6, '06, 6:52 pm

Home schooling is always a poor option, to be avoided if possible. Some people do not have an option, such as in outback Australia, but even there the children are sent to boarding school when they are older (say 12+). But school provides the opportunity for children to develope essential social skills, unless you intend for them never to marry or have their own lives.
Even if there is no Catholic school in your area, values learnt and shared at home are not going to be lost at a secular school. If you give equal support to a teenager's sense of individualism, then you can expect your home values to remain with them. Otherwise they may adopt whichever culture their other friends offer. Easier said than done, but that's life.
Old Mar 6, '06, 6:53 pm

My son will be school age next fall, and we plan to homeschool him. He will attend one of our liberal American public brain laundries over my dead body.
Old Mar 6, '06, 9:00 pm

Religion: Catholic Convert 2005

I agree that it depends on the family & the kids. The vast majority of homeschooled kids I know are very bright and are receiving a good education. Truth be told though, the moms seemed very stressed out.. espeically the ones with little ones in addition to the ones they teach.

We homeschooled for a time and my kids enjoyed it. In retrospect it was a positive experience for my family - but I'm not feeling called to do it again.

To each his own I say. Regarding some of the comments about the "evils" of public school. My oldest currently attends public middle school and we are very happy with it. His friends are Christians, his classes are excellent, and at mass we see the principal of his school. Maybe some public schools are awful.. but let's not generalize, ok?
Old Mar 6, '06, 9:05 pm
Banned

Religion: Catholic, Latin (Roman) Rite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daeron
Home schooling is always a poor option, to be avoided if possible. Some people do not have an option, such as in outback Australia, but even there the children are sent to boarding school when they are older (say 12+). But school provides the opportunity for children to develope essential social skills, unless you intend for them never to marry or have their own lives.
Even if there is no Catholic school in your area, values learnt and shared at home are not going to be lost at a secular school. If you give equal support to a teenager's sense of individualism, then you can expect your home values to remain with them. Otherwise they may adopt whichever culture their other friends offer. Easier said than done, but that's life.
Old Mar 6, '06, 9:25 pm

Quote:

Daeron, please refer to my previous post (#6), and thank you Wolseley for your blunt but cogent description of the government school system. Contrary to what some may think, there is nothing wrong with protecting your children, whether it be physically, spiritually, or mentally.

Since I can't tell anything about your background from your public profile, I can't even begin to fathom the reason why you would make such a preposterous statement about homeschooling. Since you did mention Catholic schools, I'll presume you are Catholic.

I'll also presume you don't have any children, because almost every person of faith I've ever met who do have children has at one time or another considered the possibility of homeschooling, and not dismissed it altogether.

But I can tell you it sounds like the same uninformed and misguided arguments I heard from family and friends when we started 11 years ago. I have a couple of web resources that I recommend you check out before you make such broad sweeping statements. But, by all means, please correct me if I'm wrong.

The Home School Legal Defense Association
www.hslda.org

National Association of Catholic Home Educators
http://www.nache.org/

Seton Home Study School

I'm also curious as to what credentials you have that qualify you to opine that homeschooling is a "poor option, to be avoided...", especially when the Catechism of the Catholic Church teaches that it is the responsibility of the parent to educate their children (Paragraph 1653, 2206, and 2223). If you could provide those credentials, it might shed some light into why you've made some of these statements, and therefore allow me to take these statements more seriously.

You're assertion that schools teach "essential social skills" is patently absurd. School children do not teach each other manners, and in fact encourage each other in the basest of behavior and speach. Furthermore, the teachers are forbidden to "correct" these negative behaviors for fear of hurting the child's "self-esteem." I have a few very close personal friends who were employed in the public schools, but have since left. I have heard all the horror stories. Unfortunately, some of the Catholic schools (at least in the US) are not much better. In fact, all of the bad things my kids learned while they were young was from the public school children.

The second half of your statement,
Quote:
"...unless you intend for them never to marry or have their own lives"
is completely assinine, quite plainly. Children who are properly socialized by their parents, without the impediments of having to undo the damage of the government school system on a daily basis, have no problem socializing with anyone. Case in point, I am frequently complimented on my childrens behavior in public; my oldest (17) is quite popular in the neighborhood with adults and children alike, and the other younger neighborhood kids always seem to gravitate to my house to play with my younger children. This is due to the simple fact that we homeschooled them and gave them a proper and nurturing, but protective, environment.

You're final statement that values shared at home won't be lost even in the public school is also false. A child, or even a teen, who has yet to fully mature emotionally, can rarely withstand the torrential flood of filth the spews through the public school system, even if their family has a strong spiritual base. As I said in my previous post, I know what I'm talking about. And your implication that homeschooled children are somehow mindless robots, devoid of their own personalities, is laughable. My kids are all different, and I know about 100 kids who are homeschooled, and not one of them is an identical automaton.

In conclusion, I say with all respect that I really don't think you know what you're talking about. However, I do - I have the life experience as a homeschooler, and I am also a professional educator, trained in the methods of curriculum development and learning principles, with thousands of hours giving classroom instruction.

I look eagerly forward to your reply.

Ego sum Via, Veritas, et Vita - John 14:6
Old Mar 7, '06, 7:00 am

Quote:
Oh, I agree entirely with the essential social skills development thingie. Fortunately, we have found a way our son can receive the same socialization that government schools provide.
  • On Mondays and Wednesdays, I will personally corner my son in the bathroom, give him a wedgie and take his lunch money.
  • On Tuesdays and Thursdays, my wife will make sure to tease him for not being in the “in” crowd, taking special care to poke fun at any physical abnormalities.
  • Fridays will be “Fad and Peer Pressure Day.” We will all compete to see who has the coolest toys, most expensive clothes and the loudest, fastest and most dangerous car.
  • Every day, my wife and I will adhere to a routine of cursing and swearing in the hall and mentioning our weekend exploits with alcohol and immorality.
  • If our son attempts to use the bathroom without permission, we will punish him immediately.
  • And we have asked him to report us to the authorities in the event we mention faith, religion, or try to bring up morals and values.

Quote:
Even if there is no Catholic school in your area, values learnt and shared at home are not going to be lost at a secular school.
Words fail me. Were you never a teenager???

Quote:
If you give equal support to a teenager's sense of individualism, then you can expect your home values to remain with them. Otherwise they may adopt whichever culture their other friends offer. Easier said than done, but that's life.
My job is to instill in him a desire to NOT be like everybody else. My father taught me to ignore peer pressure, which is what I plan to do for my son as well. I would not be helped in this endeavor by sending him to a public school. If you don't want your kid coated in liquid manure, then it is imbecilic to dip him in an oil drum full of it on a daily basis.
Old Mar 7, '06, 7:02 am

Religion: Catholic Convert 2005

Sean,
I support your family's decision to homeschool (please see my previous post) and I cringed when I read the post slamming homeschooling because I think it's a very unfair generalization. But I have to tell you that your post is equally offensive. Not all public schools are horrible. My son attends one and and I've yet to see the effects of the "torrential flood of filth." I live in great community with wonderful schools.. as are many schools throughout the country. My daughters attend a Catholic school that is just the BEST. Homeschooling is an option for some families.. but not all.. and our children are not suffering because of it.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life > Parenting