Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > World News

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Mar 20, '17, 5:26 pm

Thumbs down Gorsuch Told Class ‘Many’ Women Manipulate Maternity Leave: Student

A former law student of President Donald Trump's Supreme Court nominee alleges that Neil Gorsuch told a class that "many" women manipulate their employers for maternity benefits and that law firms should ask female interviewees about their pregnancy plans in order to protect their companies.
http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/poli...tudent-n735701
Old Mar 20, '17, 5:28 pm

Default Re: Gorsuch Told Class ‘Many’ Women Manipulate Maternity Leave: Student

Shameful if this true. Not a very "pro-life" message to be sending to the pro-life working mothers (including *married* Catholic mothers).
Old Mar 20, '17, 5:39 pm
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomuser View Post
Shameful if this true. Not a very "pro-life" message to be sending to the pro-life working mothers (including *married* Catholic mothers).
Maybe. But this sounds to me like one of the kinds of convoluted issues law professors would pose to a class, slightly altered by the teller, perhaps, to sound far more simple than it really was, and bad. I am told they will ask a question, then add a little and pose it again, then change one little thing and pose it again, again and again and again, to see if the class can stay with him and make the subtle distinctions. Sometimes they "trap" students into being wrong with some little turn that changes everything. Sounds like Gorsuch was eliciting a preconception about women, which would, indeed, change everything.

But much worse,. I'll bet anything Gorsuch coughed sometime or other into his hand instead of into his elbow like we're supposed to.
Old Mar 20, '17, 6:08 pm

This is all they have to smear him?!!!

I know a co-worker (a man )who manipulated Family Medical Leave each time his wife had a child. We become incredibly busy in the month of December (working 14 hrs a day).
This guy would take the month of December off if his wife had a child anytime after July 1.

It happens.
Old Mar 20, '17, 6:11 pm
Forum Supporter

http://hotair.com/archives/2017/03/2...er-udall-aide/

Quote:
But the quoted “former student,” identified by New York Magazine as one “Jennifer Sisk, who graduated from the University of Colorado Law School last year,” is not just any former student, but a former operative for Democrat Mark Udall. (“Sisk went to college in Massachusetts, at Wellesley, then worked as an aide in Mark Udall’s Senate office in Washington.”) New York Magazine leaves that rather important fact out.
NBC News then followed up with other students, who reported that the letter takes the discussion way out of context:

Quote:
“Although Judge Gorsuch did discuss some of the topics mentioned in the letter, he did not do so in the manner described,” Will Hauptman wrote in the letter, which was sent on Sunday.

Hauptman wrote that Gorsuch often asked his students to consider the challenges they would face as new attorneys, including the tension between building a career and starting a family, especially for women.

“The seriousness with which the judge asked us to consider these realities reflected his desire to make us aware of them, not any animus against a career or group,” he wrote.

A response from the person aiding in the Gorsuch nomination process also said that Sisk’s claims were false and came from a misunderstanding of the hypothetical discussion question.
Wouldn't it be nice if information like this did not come from Democratic operatives? Or if the news article would just provide that context up front ...

YADA
Respect Christ - Vote Life
Old Mar 20, '17, 6:13 pm

delete
Old Mar 20, '17, 6:26 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Her political connections don't mean she is not telling the truth but according to the Daily Signal, Jennifer Sisk didn't note the fact that she worked for the Obama administration and Democrat Senator Mark Udall in the letter to congress. Why didn't she do that?

Eleven women who have worked as clerks for Judge Gorsuch have come forward to defend him after Jennifer Sisk's claim as reported by the Daily Signal, including a clerk who worked in the Obama admin Justice Department, Janie Nitze:

Quote:
I served as a clerk for Judge Neil M. Gorsuch for a year, working day in and day out with him in chambers. Not for one second did I ever feel that he treated me with anything other than the utmost respect—as he did all law clerks. And he has continued to be an invaluable mentor to me over the years, playing a critical role in each of my career advances.

As I noted in an interview weeks before the current allegations surfaced, the judge is usually the first person I go to for career advice. And the first words he has for me when I do are: ‘What can I do to help you?’

The suggestion that he ‘discounts the worth of working females’ is patently absurd, and refuted entirely by my decadelong experience with him and by the experiences of all of his former female law clerks, who collectively sent a letter to the Senate Judiciary Committee on this topic.
http://dailysignal.com/2017/03/20/fo...ama-democrats/
Old Mar 20, '17, 6:34 pm
Forum Master

I think he's right.
Old Mar 20, '17, 6:35 pm
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomuser View Post
Sounds like just an attempt to try and drag down Gorsuch.
Old Mar 21, '17, 5:19 am

Religion: Beaten-up Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperLuigi View Post
It sure does, and it probably has tentacles, one or two of which may reach out to here.
Old Mar 21, '17, 5:27 am

Religion: Cradle Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by YADA View Post
http://hotair.com/archives/2017/03/2...er-udall-aide/

NBC News then followed up with other students, who reported that the letter takes the discussion way out of context:

Wouldn't it be nice if information like this did not come from Democratic operatives? Or if the news article would just provide that context up front ...
This was just an attempt by the OP to say Gorsuch isn't pro-life. Of course it was taken out of context!
Old Mar 21, '17, 9:16 am
Veteran Member
Forum Supporter

Quote:
You should hear the questions some of the senators are asking during the hearing for Gorsuch. And some of the comments about him by Dem leaders is ridiculous. The man has been approved by the ABA, certainly no conservative group.
Old Mar 21, '17, 10:33 am
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior

Here is Judge Gorsuch in the hearing answering a question regarding Jennifer Sisk's letter:

https://twitter.com/foxnews/status/844235684676218880
Old Mar 21, '17, 10:57 am

Quote:
Also yet another attempt by the poster to claim that conservatives aren't pro-life because they don't address quality of life issues and support for mothers enough, in the poster's opinion. It's a never ending theme. If people who claim to care about the life of the child spent half as much time complaining about the Democratic party endorsing the right to kill the child in the womb (and objective, inarguable fact abortion's intent is always the child's death) as they did about Republicans "not doing enough for the baby after birth" (which is a subjective principle anyway, since that isn't provable at all), the Democratic party would have a lot more credibility on life-issues.
Old Mar 21, '17, 11:40 pm
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedge Antilles View Post
Also yet another attempt by the poster to claim that conservatives aren't pro-life because they don't address quality of life issues and support for mothers enough, in the poster's opinion. It's a never ending theme. If people who claim to care about the life of the child spent half as much time complaining about the Democratic party endorsing the right to kill the child in the womb (and objective, inarguable fact abortion's intent is always the child's death) as they did about Republicans "not doing enough for the baby after birth" (which is a subjective principle anyway, since that isn't provable at all), the Democratic party would have a lot more credibility on life-issues.
Conservatives give more to charity than liberals by a factor of four despite making less money overall.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > World News