Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Mar 20, '17, 8:19 pm

Religion: Catholic - Forever
Default Gluten free hosts

I am having a major discussion about people with issues with wheat in the Host. They say the Church they go to has a gluten free host made of rice and it is a Latin Rite Church.

Did the Church change its ruling on this and I missed it?? I have also been defending the Host as not just being symbolic, but wanted to check and make sure about the correct make up of our precious Host.

Thank you for your answers.

When you feel like you are drowning in life, don't worry. Your LIFEGUARD walks on water.
Old Mar 20, '17, 8:23 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Gluten free hosts

Not gluten-free but "very low gluten."

And they still MUST be made from wheat. There's no possible way that any kind of rice bread can be Consecrated.
Old Mar 20, '17, 8:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrDavid96 View Post
Not gluten-free but "very low gluten."

And they still MUST be made from wheat. There's no possible way that any kind of rice bread can be Consecrated.
Thank you for your answer. That is just what I have said. Funny thing about all of this is, this all came about on a Facebook thyroid issue page about gluten in the host.
A number of the people talking are supposed to be Catholic, but you would never know it by their comments. Thanks again.

When you feel like you are drowning in life, don't worry. Your LIFEGUARD walks on water.
Old Mar 20, '17, 8:59 pm

US Bishops' guidelines. You might also be interested in this site: http://www.catholicceliacs.org/
Old Mar 21, '17, 6:57 am

When I worked as director of music and liturgy, I found some very low gluten hosts that were made by a group of sisters. From what I recall (it was a few years ago), they took great care to follow all the rules to make sure it was valid matter.

I'm pretty sure this is where I got them from: http://www.benedictinesisters.org/
Old Mar 21, '17, 9:25 am

Religion: Latin Catholic

It's also impossible for the Church to "change its ruling". That the Eucharist be of wheat is of divine origin, so the Church does not have the power to change it.

Old Mar 21, '17, 11:46 am

There are now several (not very many, but a handful) of host companies that make very-low-gluten hosts.

One need to look for these or similar words "Approved by the Catholic Church."

Many companies make different kinds of breads intended for sale to Christians in general. Many of these are not valid for use at the Mass. That means not just following a rule, but that if the host is not valid matter, then no consecration occurs. No priest can consecrate a host made from rice or potato or corn etc. flour; nor from completely gluten-free flour.

The good news is that more options are available from different companies.

The caution is that one must be careful in making a choice and must be sure that it is in conformity with Catholic practice.
Old Mar 21, '17, 12:54 pm

Thanks everyone for your comments. I actually won the debate. I am a retired RCIA teacher so that came in handy. Had lots of likes..

Old Mar 21, '17, 2:09 pm

I've been attending my current parish for a little over two years now, and they've always made an announcement before mass that "low-gluten" hosts are available at communion (it's part of a routine welcome message said before each mass). Interestingly, a couple of months ago, I noticed that before mass begins, the announcement wording changed to "gluten-free", and it's been like that ever since. Even though the wording changed, I assumed that they really just meant "very low-gluten" rather than "gluten-free". Not sure why they changed the wording though, unless they're using new hosts or something.
Old Mar 21, '17, 5:20 pm

It has to have some wheat in it, so cannot be totally gluten free. Maybe false advertising..

Old Mar 22, '17, 8:05 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolNoel View Post
It has to have some wheat in it, so cannot be totally gluten free. Maybe false advertising..
Well, sort of....those are not exactly the words we need to use.

It's not a matter of "some wheat" but it has to be entirely wheat and no other grain, nor anything else (except enough water to make the wheat into dough). No rice, no corn, no potato...nothing.

It's possible to use wheat to make a true gluten-free host, but the problem with that is that it would not be bread--not bread as the Church understands it for the Eucharist (we call all kinds of things bread in everyday life). Some gluten is necessary in order for the process of making bread suitable for the Eucharist to actually occur.

The hosts that can be used for a valid Communion (and remember, if it's not valid, it's not Communion) are made from nothing other than wheat-and-water but some process is used to remove almost (but not quite all) the gluten.

Like I wrote earlier, it's important for one to know that those particular hosts have been approved by the Catholic Church. It's just not enough to read a label with generic descriptions like "communion hosts" or "for the Lords Supper" or "low gluten wafers."
Old Mar 22, '17, 8:41 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tseleehw View Post
I've been attending my current parish for a little over two years now, and they've always made an announcement before mass that "low-gluten" hosts are available at communion (it's part of a routine welcome message said before each mass). Interestingly, a couple of months ago, I noticed that before mass begins, the announcement wording changed to "gluten-free", and it's been like that ever since. Even though the wording changed, I assumed that they really just meant "very low-gluten" rather than "gluten-free". Not sure why they changed the wording though, unless they're using new hosts or something.

That's interesting. I was wondering how that would work. If it's for that particular Mass, is it a reminder for those who need them to go to the sacristy and tell someone, or do they just consecrate a few just in case?

Or is it rather a general announcement for future reference?
Old Mar 22, '17, 9:45 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by paperwight66 View Post
That's interesting. I was wondering how that would work. If it's for that particular Mass, is it a reminder for those who need them to go to the sacristy and tell someone, or do they just consecrate a few just in case?

Or is it rather a general announcement for future reference?
The priest (and deacon if there is one at the mass) always stands in the center aisle for communion and he and/or the deacon have the "gluten-free" hosts. So you would have to go there if you wanted them and tell the priest when you get up to the front of the line. I've seen them holding the special hosts in these separate small containers (not sure what else to call them) when I've gone up. I don't know if anyone actually takes them regularly though, or if they just keep offering them just in case. It looks like they only consecrate a handful (less than 10) from what I can tell.
Old Mar 22, '17, 11:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tseleehw View Post
The priest (and deacon if there is one at the mass) always stands in the center aisle for communion and he and/or the deacon have the "gluten-free" hosts. So you would have to go there if you wanted them and tell the priest when you get up to the front of the line. I've seen them holding the special hosts in these separate small containers (not sure what else to call them) when I've gone up. I don't know if anyone actually takes them regularly though, or if they just keep offering them just in case. It looks like they only consecrate a handful (less than 10) from what I can tell.
Our parish has the low-gluten hosts available. Announcements were made the first few weeks when we started using them...the celebrant of the Mass always has them in a small container within the ciborium that he uses to distribute Communion. The people who need the low-gluten hosts go in his line for Communion rather than one of the other priests or the acolyte.

The low-gluten hosts are extremely thin and crumble very easily, by the way.
Old Mar 22, '17, 1:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennon P View Post
Our parish has the low-gluten hosts available. Announcements were made the first few weeks when we started using them...the celebrant of the Mass always has them in a small container within the ciborium that he uses to distribute Communion. The people who need the low-gluten hosts go in his line for Communion rather than one of the other priests or the acolyte.

The low-gluten hosts are extremely thin and crumble very easily, by the way.
Yes, this sounds pretty much exactly how they do it at my parish. Interesting that they are so brittle.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments