Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > World News

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Apr 20, '17, 10:47 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic
Default Freed Egyptian American prisoner returns home following Trump intervention

An Egyptian American charity worker who was imprisoned in Cairo for three years and became the global face of Egypt’s brutal crackdown on civil society returned home to the United States late Thursday after the Trump administration quietly negotiated her release.

President Trump and his aides worked for several weeks with Egyptian President Abdel Fatah al-Sissi to secure the freedom of Aya Hijazi, 30, a U.S. citizen, as well as her husband, Mohamed Hassanein, who is Egyptian, and four other humanitarian workers. Trump dispatched a U.S. government aircraft to Cairo to bring Hijazi and her family to Washington...............

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.3543b1b2aa20

1 Corinthians 13:1-3
Ps 51:17-19
Mark 2:23-28
Old Apr 20, '17, 10:59 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Freed Egyptian American prisoner returns home following Trump intervention

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertmidwest View Post
An Egyptian American charity worker who was imprisoned in Cairo for three years and became the global face of Egypt’s brutal crackdown on civil society returned home to the United States late Thursday after the Trump administration quietly negotiated her release.

President Trump and his aides worked for several weeks with Egyptian President Abdel Fatah al-Sissi to secure the freedom of Aya Hijazi, 30, a U.S. citizen, as well as her husband, Mohamed Hassanein, who is Egyptian, and four other humanitarian workers. Trump dispatched a U.S. government aircraft to Cairo to bring Hijazi and her family to Washington...............

Cannot they just take commercial flight out of Cairo?

Lord, by your cross and resurrection
you have set us free.
You are the Savior of the world.

Life begins at conception not implantation.
Old Apr 21, '17, 12:23 am
Forum Elder
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Default Re: Freed Egyptian American prisoner returns home following Trump intervention

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertmidwest View Post

If they are indeed innocent, I am happy they have been released.
Old Apr 21, '17, 5:50 am
Prayer Warrior

Good for them.
Old Apr 21, '17, 6:44 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reuben J View Post
That is an unstable area of the world. They probably would be recognized and who knows what would happen in an airport or on a plane without beefed up security and in a public place?

If it were my relative, or me, I would hope a government plane with plenty of security would pick me up without being recognized. It is a safety precaution and worth the cost.
Old Apr 21, '17, 7:08 am
Veteran Member

Religion: Catholic, Tiber Swim Team Class of 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reuben J View Post
I'm not sure, but I think that U.S. commercial flights do not fly to Middle Eastern countries. I know that when I was traveling to Syria and Egypt back in the '90s, I had to fly to Frankfurt and then take a Lufthansa plane to my final destination. This was in spite of the fact that U.S. government employees traveling on official business were supposed to fly U.S.-flagged carriers.
Old Apr 21, '17, 7:09 am
Veteran Member

Wonderful!

http://www.themostholyrosary.com/15promises.htm

Seven Sorrows of Mary Promises and Devotion http://www.themostholyrosary.com/appendix1.htm
Old Apr 21, '17, 8:24 am

Religion: Somewhere between Catholic and Lutheran

"The Obama administration unsuccessfully pressed Sissi’s government for their release. It was not until Trump moved to reset U.S. relations with Egypt by embracing Sissi at the White House on April 3 — he publicly hailed the autocrat’s leadership as “fantastic” and offered the U.S. government’s “strong backing” — that Egypt’s posture changed. Last Sunday, a court in Cairo dropped all charges against Hijazi and the others."

This is not out of the goodness of Sissi's heart, we just made "friends" with him as we have done many times with leaders that do not share our core values. I'm glad he's home, but resetting this relationship seems to have been at a higher cost for the US.

Peace, Justice, Hope.
Old Apr 21, '17, 10:45 am
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJH_74 View Post
"The Obama administration unsuccessfully pressed Sissi’s government for their release. It was not until Trump moved to reset U.S. relations with Egypt by embracing Sissi at the White House on April 3 — he publicly hailed the autocrat’s leadership as “fantastic” and offered the U.S. government’s “strong backing” — that Egypt’s posture changed. Last Sunday, a court in Cairo dropped all charges against Hijazi and the others."

This is not out of the goodness of Sissi's heart, we just made "friends" with him as we have done many times with leaders that do not share our core values. I'm glad he's home, but resetting this relationship seems to have been at a higher cost for the US.
Being the bigger person sometimes requires a higher cost...given the recent incidents with church bombings, I think it was prudent to get these Americans out before anything happened to them that would demonstrate a lack of control by the Sissi Government.
Old Apr 21, '17, 10:53 am
Forum Elder
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusaderbear View Post
Being the bigger person sometimes requires a higher cost...given the recent incidents with church bombings, I think it was prudent to get these Americans out before anything happened to them that would demonstrate a lack of control by the Sissi Government.
It seems like the Coptic Christians are paying the higher cost.
Old Apr 21, '17, 11:04 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusaderbear View Post
Hold on. The Sissi government in effect held these Americans hostage. The have used this as leverage to get what they wanted. This is not us reseting our relationship on level ground. At best this was and ends to a means, a bigger person does this out of respect for a person and not cohersion.

Peace, Justice, Hope.
Old Apr 21, '17, 12:02 pm

Quote:
Hold on. The Sissi government in effect held these Americans hostage. The have used this as leverage to get what they wanted. This is not us reseting our relationship on level ground. At best this was and ends to a means, a bigger person does this out of respect for a person and not cohersion.
The thing is no one knows exactly what was agreed to, threatened, or the like.

This wasn't a public swap on a horrendous scale like the Bergdahl the deserter for soon to be terrorists from Gitmo. On its face, this is nothing but a good thing for seemingly innocent US citizens.
Old Apr 21, '17, 12:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedge Antilles View Post
The thing is no one knows exactly what was agreed to, threatened, or the like.

This wasn't a public swap on a horrendous scale like the Bergdahl the deserter for soon to be terrorists from Gitmo. On its face, this is nothing but a good thing for seemingly innocent US citizens.
Indeed there is nothing known about the backroom dialog. However the President praising Sissi is not backroom and quite significant. It signals alliances in the region and may well give Sissi more room to crack down on his own people since he has been publically endorsed by a super power. The situation is good for one American, but at what cost to us and others?

Peace, Justice, Hope.
Old Apr 21, '17, 4:58 pm
Forum Master

Quote:

So where was this thinking during the Arab Spring when journalists walked around trying to get Egyptians to say nice things about President Obama?

I should also point out that it is a cornerstone of realism that foreign leaders do not do things in order to make people feel good inside but that they have their own interests which range from pure selfishness to just being patriotic.

So even though you are trying really hard to use this to discredit Trump, this is a win for America.

https://forums.catholic.com/showthre...003033&page=16

Note: I won't post in the News Forums again until this thread has 400 replies.
Old Apr 21, '17, 5:01 pm
Forum Master

Quote:
Indeed there is nothing known about the backroom dialog. However the President praising Sissi is not backroom and quite significant. It signals alliances in the region and may well give Sissi more room to crack down on his own people since he has been publically endorsed by a super power. The situation is good for one American, but at what cost to us and others?
Trump has praised and attacked and re-praised many people. Why would this be any different?

Also, don't fall for what always is on camera. There's a lot that goes behind the scenes and I think both Trump and al-Sisi are realist enough to what it all means.

https://forums.catholic.com/showthre...003033&page=16

Note: I won't post in the News Forums again until this thread has 400 replies.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > In The News > World News