Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Aug 12, '17, 5:14 pm
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic
Default What have been the societal consequences of Same-Sex Marriage where it is legalised?

This is a request for information from people who live in countries where same-sex marriage has been legalised.

This issue is now before the Australian public, and one of the central arguments is going to be about the social consequences of implementing SSM. The opponents will predict dire social consequences, and the advocates will deny any such consequences.

Thus it will be very helpful to get any information about the actual consequences in the US, Canada, and UK (or anywhere else) where SSM has been available for several years.

The following sums up the view of minimal consequences:

Quote:
In the US those "significant implications" became the arguments that "gay propaganda" would spread into schools, that once gay marriage was the norm other aberrant forms of marriage would follow, that religious groups would be victimised.

It became the fraught concern for the wellbeing of bakers and marriage celebrants and wedding caterers. It was about anything but the right of a committed couple to marry.

All of this is already in play in Australia, and was neatly summed up by Abbott on Wednesday morning.

But according to Wolfson there was a parallel campaign fought too. While mainstream politicians kept their hands clean, aware that outright homophobia doesn't wash anymore, a subterranean poison of invective followed the overt campaign, and this too will now by foisted upon Australian gays and their families.

You can see it already if you care to dip your toe into online sewers, and elements of it have crept onto cable TV. On Tuesday night Bronwyn Bishop was on Sky News warning of bestiality and the killing of newborn babies.

Of course, in the years since gay marriage was legalised in America, the only impact to society has been that some gays got married, and many who once feared the outcome have now changed their views.

Today even a plurality of Republicans support gay marriage, 48 to 47 per cent, while 64 per cent of Americans back gay marriage, up from 62 per cent.
[Sydney Morning Herald - http://www.smh.com.au/comment/tony-a...1-gxu2j2.html]

On the other hand, I posted this on facebook:

Quote:
A Yes vote will just be the start of a whole new, and *expensive* set of problems to ensure full equality for same-sex couples. Even a provision for religious ministers and schools will be removed in time, by simple legislation. School curricula, government forms and media (eg. ABC) will have to be revised to ensure that same-sex couples are given equal recognition. Any mention of "husband", "wife", "mother", "father" will have to be reviewed. In time, this will probably extend to government regulation of commercial media to ensure that it gives representation to same-sex couples in advertising and programming. We will go to all this trouble and *expense* for less than approx 1% of the population (2016 census).
What have been the experiences overseas?

Thankyou in advance,

Edmundus
Old Aug 12, '17, 5:23 pm

Default Re: What have been the societal consequences of Same-Sex Marriage where it is legalised?

From another thread, see http://www.christian.org.uk/news/chi...iews-scotland/

"Numerous accounts – including one girl being told she ‘wasn’t a real woman’ because she did not support abortion – were revealed by the Roman Catholic Church in Scotland. Another student was told she was a 'disgrace' for 'promoting this kind of hate'... One student dropped out of a class 'to avoid the harassment'."

"Anthony Horan warned of a 'culture of fear' that people face when discussing their faith."
Old Aug 12, '17, 6:23 pm
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Default Re: What have been the societal consequences of Same-Sex Marriage where it is legalised?

Thanks Erich. I've added that reference to my fb post.
Old Aug 12, '17, 7:52 pm

Religion: Protestant Christian

You don't have a state church like Sweden but this happened:
Quote:
Sweden's Prime Minister says no priest working for the Church of Sweden should be allowed to refuse to wed same-sex couples.

Stefan Löfven, a Social Democrat, compared priests who refuse to wed same-sex couples with midwives refusing to carry out abortions. He told the Church of Sweden's newspaper Kyrkans Tidning, "Us Social Democrats work to ensure that all priests should wed all people, including same-sex couples. If you are a midwife you either have to carry out abortions, or you have to find another profession. The same goes for priests who do not want to wed homosexuals."
http://www1.cbn.com/cbnnews/world/20...e-sex-weddings

In Ohio, an activist group expressed they want gay weddings on church property:
Quote:
Equality Ohio indicated they plan to leave your sanctuary alone (for now) but they openly announced to our legislators that they're going after church meeting rooms, banquet halls, multi-purpose rooms, gyms, etc. Your church could be sued if you say "No." Even if you win the case, the legal bill would be expensive.
https://www.facebook.com/vote.vitale...PAGES_TIMELINE

Northern Ireland hasn't redefined marriage but expect these cases to happen more often if it does get redefined. In this case, a bakery was dragged into an expensive legal battle because they didn't want to bake a cake with a message to redefine marriage. They lost the case (LGBT activist Peter Tatchell defended the Christian bakery's right to refuse baking the cake). The link is about how someone tried to get the bakery into legal trouble again:
https://www.premier.org.uk/Across-th...gay-cake-order

There are countless of businesses being sued for not wanting to cater to gay weddings in the US. Christian photographers are being forced to attend gay weddings. The 'Don't like gay marriage, don't have one' slogan should be modified by adding 'but you must attend a gay wedding'.
[A]s long as the ‘[W]est’ doesn’t rediscover Christianity, it flails dangerously about, mistaking strength and wealth for virtue. It puts its faith in reeking tube and iron shard, in bigger weapons, and in [‘tougher security'], in consumer goods and in its own luxurious hedonism - Peter Hitchens
Old Aug 12, '17, 9:57 pm
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Thankyou, AT, for the extracts and references. Over the next few weeks it's going to be important to me to have this information ready whenever I discuss the topic with friends and family. Facts, rather than nebuluous fears.

I particularly liked the one from the Ohio representative, both because Australia does like to follow the US, and because it directly addresses the false statement from The Sydne Morning Herald, which is one of our major "intellectual" newspapers.

Quote:
Of course, in the years since gay marriage was legalised in America, the only impact to society has been that some gays got married, and many who once feared the outcome have now changed their views.
Simply untrue.
Old Aug 12, '17, 11:35 pm
Forum Master

Interested in the answers...
Old Aug 12, '17, 11:52 pm

For our Australian friend: I would like to point out that there is one difference between United States, Australia, Britain, and Canada: The constitution.

US not merely put Freedom of Religion as the First Amendment, but also make it unalienable rights. If Australia have the same constitution nature, then it will be just marriage.

(Using as example) Canada, however, have the first constitution that explicitly stated Freedom can be limited. It had been used in the past to squash religion freedom. This will no doubt come into play in the Trinity Western University Accreditation Case, where one of the reason they weren't allowed to be accredited is their Christian Creed. The newest news regarding that is at https://www.thelawyersdaily.ca/artic...ould-be-heard-

If Australia have a similar constitution, it will definitely affect similarly.

Now this is possibly heresy, but according to my mom's friend, living in Vancouver Region, they actually teach homosexuality in public school. Not just sex-ed, but actual basic social studies (ie not split into history, geography and etc, usually before Gr 10.), where you have two activist came in and talk about it in class. Of coruse, it is technically heresy.

I have a friend that belongs to a Prebysterian church, whose wife really want their daughters to study in Private (christian) school. If you want to, I may ask them whether they were forced to introduce homosexual concept in social studies.
"Lord, to whom shall we go? Thou hast the words of eternal life." -- John 6:69
Old Aug 13, '17, 2:38 am

Breaking news from the UK.......

It's not really made a scrap of difference.

Yes, there is a general tide of 'liberalism' and lots of attempts to brainwash everyone by suggesting there is a 'correct' and an 'incorrect' way to view the world - but most people just find the whole PC movement mildly ludicrous and carry on as normal.

At my place of work, one of our managers suggested at a team meeting we could help design a banner for our colleagues who were marching at a Gay Pride rally. Nobody joined in and nobody got reprimanded for not joining it either. We've had a very silly survey about gender-related positive and negative experiences: I just responded that I had no idea what the question meant, but if it was any help, as a woman, I found it more difficult to pee outdoors when there was a lack of appropriate cover.

There's a rise in a vocal minority making an issue of all sorts of non-issues like the % of gay people in senior roles, but equally, lots of observations that there seems to be an 'agenda' for promoting or favouring gay TV presenters.

So - a few people are taking it all very seriously and most people just aren't! I have a few gay friends (they know I'm a practicing Catholic and they respect my beliefs and I respect their freedom of choice and pray that God has mercy on them) and I couldn't imagine any of them drawing attention to their sexuality any more than the average heterosexual person or couple. They just want quiet, happy lives with good friends and good health.

What unites us is that we don't embrace any political agenda - we just all genuinely like one another, wish each other well and accept we have more in common than different. As a Catholic, if I didn't speak to anyone at work, or during my leisure time who used ABC, IVF, lived in sin, masturbated (like I'd ask!!!!) or indulged in any kind of pre-marital sex, I'd have nobody to share my Good News with
Old Aug 13, '17, 4:22 am

You don't even have to look outside of Australia, so called 'same sex marriage' is not even law here, and yet we have a 'Safe Schools' program teaching kids that their gender is fluid and indoctrinating them with LGBTQIA activism. Teaching kids about 'penis tucking' and 'breast binding' etc etc. All under the guise of an 'Anti Bullying' program, so that anyone who speaks against it, is easily vilified as supporting bullying.

Just recently we had nasty scenes in Canberra from 'gay rights activists' shouting down and intimidating people talking about the 'Safe Schools' program being pushed in schools.

The 'gay rights activists' had and have no interest in civil discourse, only in name calling, shouting down and intimidation to get what they want. That says it all really.

Not only that, but you also have Facebook, Youtube and the Main Stream Media, all acting as propaganda and using subtle (often times not subtle at all, but most wont hear about it unfortunately because it's all done out of public view) and sly tactics against anyone who holds that marriage Is between a man and a woman. For example, dubious polls claiming that the majority of Australian's support same sex marriage, which if that were the case, they would have no qualms with a peoples vote, which shows they are lying through their teeth. Even the term 'Marriage Equality' is a loaded question, just like the term 'Safe Schools' so that on the face of it, any opposition looks hateful and such people are easily vilified.

All of this is happening and so called same sex marriage is not even law. It will be much worse once it's law, any exemptions that are put in place will be easily removed, since Instituting a law and then giving exemptions to those who do not wish to follow or recognize it is nonsensical, it may as well be no law at all.

Same sex marriage also does not legalize or criminalize a homosexual union, so what exactly do they want then? Certainly not just a piece of paper from the government that says 'married' on it. They want you and I to see and teach that their union is 'equal' which I cannot ever do, they want to teach children that we are hateful, bigoted and discriminatory, so it will lead to our persecution. They are weak and that is why the speak of 'tolerance' and 'exemptions', later it will be 'persecution'

Catholic Schools would no longer be allowed to teach 'hatred' and 'bigotry' (What they call those who believe marriage is between a man and a woman) since the law says that they are 'equal' and a law is worthless if it's not enforced.

If same sex marriage is about 'equality' how can you allow Catholic Schools and others to teach or hold discrimination, hate and bigotry?

If the plebiscite goes ahead, 1) I hope everyone has to vote so it's an accurate representation of the will of the people and I hope it's not some flimsy postal vote that could be rigged or tampered with and 2) get ready for the absolute mountain of propaganda that will be leveled against us, I just hope and pray the majority Australians see through it.

The only reason we are not seeing a much worsening state in the USA after they put so called 'same sex marriage' in, is because Trump won the election, that's the only reason, had Clinton won you would have seen it ramping up. That is why there is such hatred for Trump, as he stopped their agenda dead in it's tracks, we will have to wait and see which way the USA decides to go.

I hope this has helped

God Bless You

Thank you for reading
Josh
The greatest misery does not stop Me from uniting Myself to a soul, but where there is pride, I am not there.
(Diary, 1563)
We resemble God most when we forgive our neighbors. (Diary, 1148)

Last edited by josh987654321; Aug 13, '17 at 4:41 am.
Old Aug 13, '17, 5:08 am

While I'm opposed to gay marriage and transgender issues (and my boss doesn't seem to hestitate about letting transgender people go; they need to take time off for surgery),
there is workplace practice in place that I must call a woman "Theo," for example.

She has multiple male names. It is really quite confusing. Bear in mind I am located in the Deep South right now, where a large part of the population has some religious beliefs.

The only change I've seen so far is that the gay/lesbian issue is not mainstream. We
must now address straight people who are in favor of gay pride, rather than just people
who struggle with their sexual orientation.
Old Aug 13, '17, 7:48 am

Religion: Somewhere between Catholic and Lutheran

Nothing....more people are married.

Peace, Justice, Hope.
Old Aug 13, '17, 8:16 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh987654321 View Post

. That is why there is such hatred for Trump, as he stopped their agenda dead in it's tracks, we will have to wait and see which way the USA decides to go.

I hope this has helped

God Bless You

Thank you for reading
Josh
There is hatred against Trump not only because he is slowed down the gay agenda but also he is a white supremacist who's rhetorics during the elections enabled hatred and he to some extent got votes based on a hate campaign.'Ivanka and Jared are very much in support of gay agenda FYI..I live in India as a minority Catholic and feel a bit insecurity as the Hindu agenda govt advances its propaganda in many forms.
Similarly, the minorities in the US also feel the same under Trump.

The hypocrisy of Christians in the West is so evident in supporting Trump's divisive policies. They cry foul about the persecution of Christian's in the non-Western world, for instance, I have seen several articles in Western Christian media about attacks against Christian's in India but many of them keep silent when minorities in West feel insecure under divisive politicians. I have Christian friends in the US telling they feel insecure about living in Trump's US.

PS: I am an Indian who lived in Aus in the past and I support Trump defunding PP and slowing down LGBT agenda but I oppose his divisive and hatred filled politics and selling 110 billion $ arms to Saudi. Let us also not forget Pro Life Trump's missiles killing innocent civilians in Syria which include children and women and his silly childish tweets on the North Korea escalating g the already tense situation.

Trump worshippers need to start calling a spade a spade

I don't intend to sabotage this thread so please continue with the discussion on the topic raised by OP
Old Aug 13, '17, 1:12 pm
Forum Elder

This issue was and is an ongoing social engineering project in the US. So-called same-sex marriage was legalized over the lack of "yes" votes by the people in previous years through the US Supreme Court in 2015. It was voted down twice in California when it was on the ballot. But obviously, the ballot box can be circumvented not by the people but by the Supreme Court.

Now, and previously, children who can't understand human sexuality are being targeted by Hollywood and gay rights organizations:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...racters-898354

GLSEN has been 'Championing LGBTQ issues in K-12 education since 1990' I can't post a direct link to their website.

On the issue of Transgender persons who want to join the US military - the word hate is their only defense. However, there is no basis for something like this. The use of "emotion words" is to shut down discussion and dismiss factual information. Or knowledge regarding how certain things move through appropriate channels. Like the ban on Transgender troops which is supported by the Center for Military Readiness:

https://cmrlink.org/data/sites/85/CM...olAnalysis.pdf

California has now made "gay history" studies mandatory in classrooms.

http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/pub/11-12/..._chaptered.pdf

So, what does this mean? Nothing. A person will not perform their job differently or better if they are a man or woman, gay or straight. That is a simple fact.

Why and how did "gender identity" become an issue?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...as-quadrupled/

In California, the following regulations have come into force: "New Transgender Identity and Expression Regulations" (July 1, 2017)

http://calemploymentlawupdate.proska...s-july-1-2017/

Ed
Old Aug 13, '17, 1:50 pm

All the social changes arising from same-sex 'marriage' are deemed worthy and ethical by the gay lobby. Surrogate children being artificially deprived of a gender-balanced nuclear family so that two gay men can play "mummy and daddy" is not regarded as an abomination.
The politically correct mainstream media think it's fabulous.

...never mind that the bible says Honor your Mother AND Father.
Old Aug 13, '17, 1:58 pm

I think that in countries with SSM, people get on with their lives as before, maybe having more respect for other people.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life