Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Sep 17, '06, 3:25 pm
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Default Tai Chi?

Are Tai Chi and Roman Catholicism compatible?
Old Sep 17, '06, 6:58 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Tai Chi?

I have but a limited understanding of the history of Tai Chi but what I do know suggests that some of the principles could be contradictory to Roman Catholicism. When I took martial arts, I remember my instructor refering to Tai Chi as "actually the deadliest of all martial arts". He suggested that many of the movements and energy manipulation could be deadly blows in combat. I remember one particular movement was described as the ripping of an opponents throat. So... all that being said, IMO, it may not be consistent with Roman Catholic values but that begs the question, are any martial arts compatible? Self defense is always justified but ideally one could defend oneself without seriously harming or killing the other. That is why I am so intrigued by Akido. I am not currently training but hope to do so soon.
BTW, are you a Philosophy major too?
Old Sep 17, '06, 7:09 pm
Forum Elder

I know priests who use Tai Chi for their daily exercise so I hardly think they would be committing mortal sins every day by doing that.
Also martial arts is a way to defend yourself and others which is not a sin.
What would be wrong is to include accept and practice the spiritual aspects of any marial art but to practise only for exercise or self defence is okay.
Old Sep 17, '06, 8:25 pm
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistle View Post
I know priests who use Tai Chi for their daily exercise so I hardly think they would be committing mortal sins every day by doing that.
Also martial arts is a way to defend yourself and others which is not a sin.
What would be wrong is to include accept and practice the spiritual aspects of any marial art but to practise only for exercise or self defence is okay.
Priests are sinners too, unfortunately. And some of them sin gravely, even more unfortunately.

Not to say it's invariably a mortal sin since it's not for us to judge the state of their souls.

Learning self-defence isn't a sin, otherwise soldiers and members of shooting clubs would be in a constant state of sin. Unprovoked violence would be.

I agree, however, that if you can divorce the spiritual and new-agey aspects of tai chi from the physical exercise it would be fine.

My Lord, He died for a kingdom
To redeem the hearts of men
Now my people don't you weep
He is risen from His sleep
He lives again! Alleluia!
Sing Alleluia, the Lord is risen
He is risen indeed, Alleluia!

Viva il Papa!
Old Sep 18, '06, 8:51 am

Been boxing since age 8,spent 10 years in taekwondo and have been doing kung fu for over 2 years now.I started to pick up tai chi a while back but stopped learning/practicing it.Not mainly cuz of the God issue,but I found it too slow and boring for me,on top of a nagging feeling that it may be counter productive to my Faith.

I should also say that I never really questioned if matial arts and being Catholic was compatable until tc.It was'nt the actual tc that bothered me,it was all the qi gong that went along with it.For me something just did'nt feel right about it.But thats me.

I just do kung fu now a days,the qi-gong in my style is more approached as stance training.For me its just excercise with a martial platform.

But if you feel the Holy Spirit telling you something is off base,maybe its your thinking.Talk to your Priest.After talking to mine,I was able to come to peace with it.Again,I am not saying tc is bad,it just was'nt for me.

Frank
Old Sep 26, '06, 8:47 pm

I would avoid Tai Chi, as it is very much associated and part of Eastern Religions which are against the first comandment. I have a long article by Michael Prabhu on it which would not fit on this site, but if you want it, feel free to e-mail me via this site and I will send it to you.
Old Sep 27, '06, 12:04 pm

Most folks just use Tai Chi for exercising and meditation. I see nothing evil in that.
Old Sep 27, '06, 12:34 pm

[quote=brianwithani;1501392] That is why I am so intrigued by Akido.[quote]

Aikido is one of the more eastern spiritually oriented martial arts. probably one of the LEAST compatible with Catholicism.
Aikido roughly translates to "The Way of Harmony of the Spirit"

if you want self defense, boxing, Jeet Kune Do or Krav Maga are my pics.
Old Sep 27, '06, 12:43 pm

Tai Chi and many of the martial arts will expose one to the spurious glitter of Eastern mysticism. It will also likely put you in the close company of enthusiasts for Eastern mysticism.

thechrismyster mentioned boxing for self defense. I would add plain old wrestling for ground skills.

Scott
Old Sep 27, '06, 12:43 pm
Banned

Religion: Roman Catholic
Send a message via AIM to MilesXpisti

So long as the practice is for exercise, and neither an endorsement or practice of the Eastern mysticism behind it, you should be okay.
Old Sep 27, '06, 12:53 pm

I am a stout Roman Catholic and I took Tai Chi. There is nothing wrong with it. I took it strictly for exercise, flexibility, and to relax. It teaches you to be like bamboo. When a hard wind blows, it sways and bends, unlike the Oak which will snap in half. I think that is something we could all put into our lives. When something upsets us, sway and bend (be forgiving), do not snap. If I remember correctly, Jesus taught us to be forgiving

Go to a Tai Chi class and see the average age there of the people. It's around 100
Once you go to one, you will see how non-violent it is. For those who have never been, do some research first before commenting.
Old Sep 27, '06, 1:20 pm

info on krav maga here just fyi - listing of clubs http://www.kravmaga-clubs.com/home.html
Old Sep 27, '06, 1:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscerningDave View Post
I am a stout Roman Catholic and I took Tai Chi. There is nothing wrong with it.
I didn't say it would certainly be a danger to one's faith, but there are potential spiritual risks when dealing with programs that have their basis in non-Christian religions and philosophies and it would be foolish to give it an unreflected free pass.

Quote:
I took it strictly for exercise, flexibility, and to relax. It teaches you to be like bamboo. When a hard wind blows, it sways and bends, unlike the Oak which will snap in half. I think that is something we could all put into our lives. When something upsets us, sway and bend (be forgiving), do not snap. If I remember correctly, Jesus taught us to be forgiving
Like on another thread, just because something can give benefits does not necessarily make it accpetable.

Quote:
Go to a Tai Chi class and see the average age there of the people. It's around 100
???

Quote:
Once you go to one, you will see how non-violent it is.
That is not the issue.

Quote:
For those who have never been, do some research first before commenting.
While I have not taken Tai Chi, I have observed and read on Tai Chi, have taken Karate and Aikido, so I think I am qualified to comment on it. I advise extreme caution.
Old Sep 27, '06, 1:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottgun View Post
I didn't say it would certainly be a danger to one's faith, but there are potential spiritual risks when dealing with programs that have their basis in non-Christian religions and philosophies and it would be foolish to give it an unreflected free pass.

Like on another thread, just because something can give benefits does not necessarily make it accpetable.

???

That is not the issue.

While I have not taken Tai Chi, I have observed and read on Tai Chi, have taken Karate and Aikido, so I think I am qualified to comment on it. I advise extreme caution.
Actually, I was not directing that comment to you nor anyone else that has posted. It seems that on a lot of these forums, people give information from what they think, not what is factual.
I firmly believe Tai Chi is harmless, even in philosophy. I do agree, you have to be cautious in choosing your class and instructor....but only if your faith is weak. If it is strong, then there should be no problem discerning what to take and what to leave. But, as far as exercise and balance, studies have shown Tai Chi to be of benefit.
Old Jan 30, '08, 2:03 pm

As a martial artist, I do dabble in Tai Chi.
There is a scientific explanation for the concept of qi, so it isn't necessarily subscribing to a different cosmology. In other words, one can practice qigong or some other art involving qi, while ignoring the Daoist origins.
Also, Tai Chi, or Taijiquan, is one of the least "deadly" martial arts. The strikes and throws are not meant to severely injure the opponent, but just to stop their attack.

So, as far as I can tell, it's not a sin to practice Tai Chi, so long as it doesn't lead to practicing Daoism.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Moral Theology