Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Jun 1, '07, 12:21 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: The Apocalypse of St. John- Sungenis

In other words, the False Prophet in this one layer of meaning is simply a symbol of the spiritual essence of the lie of the dragon from the beginning, tjhat is appropriately modeled by the antithesis of the two sacraments of heresy. so I'm not saying this is some "future religion", or anything that is fully within protestantism. I'm rather seeing it as a metaphorical representation of what the spiritual essence is of a total child of the devil, of a person who is utterly bankrupt in his outlook on religion on morals. Or maybe I'm not making sense?

IOW, this same essence is what is spoken by the dragon in any of the eight great ages of sin in the beast, including our modern era.

Hope this helps?

But, again, may God bless your ferventness for the faith.

scott
Old Jun 2, '07, 12:32 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

WOW! Interpretation of His Holy Scripture!!!!
Sometimes you really have to (to use an old football phrase), just fall back and (pick one).....

Punt.

Pope.

Magesterium.

Holy Spirit.

Play Jeopardy music ten seconds........

Who you gonna call?

Igneasius Press?
Old Jun 28, '07, 1:20 pm
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calbreese View Post
WOW! Interpretation of His Holy Scripture!!!!
Sometimes you really have to (to use an old football phrase), just fall back and (pick one).....

Punt.

Pope.

Magesterium.

Holy Spirit.

Play Jeopardy music ten seconds........

Who you gonna call?

Igneasius Press?
Any of the above...as long as it's NOT Bob Sugenis. Bob's not exactly long on good answers.
Old Jun 28, '07, 2:20 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: Römisch Katholisch

There are a lot of bible commentarys, however I think that catholcis are divided in this issue. Some catholic bible commentarys say that Jesus is not gonna come back but that is a spiritual way of speaking others reject this and both are authorized by the catholic church , therefore one shouldnt relly alot in every commentary but on the oens that are closer to what the church teaches about revelations, that is that,
Revelations is not an obscure of frigthening book, but a book of hope that talks about the struggle between the Lamb and evil, and how the Lamb won over his enemy.
Therefore the bible commentarys shouldnt be obscure nor frightening, but isntead they must be about hope.
Old Jun 29, '07, 5:51 am

Jacob Michael's integrity for raising certain questions was severely criticized in this thread. It turns out that his main questions, with regard to the Imprimatur on this volume, were quite legitimate.

See this thread:

Imprimatur for Latest Books from Robert Sungenis Denied
Old Jun 29, '07, 9:27 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy85 View Post
There are a lot of bible commentarys, however I think that catholcis are divided in this issue. Some catholic bible commentarys say that Jesus is not gonna come back but that is a spiritual way of speaking others reject this and both are authorized by the catholic church , therefore one shouldnt relly alot in every commentary but on the oens that are closer to what the church teaches about revelations, that is that,
Revelations is not an obscure of frigthening book, but a book of hope that talks about the struggle between the Lamb and evil, and how the Lamb won over his enemy.
Therefore the bible commentarys shouldnt be obscure nor frightening, but isntead they must be about hope.
It is true that the Church has not definitively ruled out all but one interpretation, but it is also clear that it has traditionally held the amillenial view at least since the time of Augustine. The Chiliast view was rejected. I believe that this is the only view the Church has definitively rejected.

Pope Benedict XVI recently said:

"John addresses them, showing acute pastoral sensitivity to the persecuted Christians, whom he exhorts to be steadfast in the faith and not to identify with the pagan world. His purpose is constituted once and for all by the revelation, starting with the death and Resurrection of Christ, of the meaning of human history. "

Which means Revelations concerns history since the time of Christ's death (i.e., the Church age). This effectively rules out a preterist view that puts the Apocalypse in the OT (though the statement from Benedict XVI itself may be too general to be sure). It is consistent with the amillenial view, and could be consistent with a post-millenial view. The council of Euphesus and the Catholic catechism are consistent with the amillenial view, as deeloped by St. Augustine.

Mark Wyatt
www.veritas-catholic.blogspot.com
Old Jun 29, '07, 9:30 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidPalm View Post
Jacob Michael's integrity for raising certain questions was severely criticized in this thread. It turns out that his main questions, with regard to the Imprimatur on this volume, were quite legitimate.

If you are referring to this statement: "You are nitpicking, Jacob. You are full of hate and jelaousy, and it shows." It was not related to the question of imprimatur.

In fact I have been saying all along that the book currently does not have an imprimatur.

Mark Wyatt
Old Jun 30, '07, 11:03 pm

Religion: RCIA

does this book have the Imprimatur on it?

Ive been trying to find a good Catholic interperatation of Revelation. The Haydock commentary seems good(which Im reading now),,Ive also heard the Navarre series is good..
Old Jul 1, '07, 10:41 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renton405 View Post

Ive been trying to find a good Catholic interperatation of Revelation. The Haydock commentary seems good(which Im reading now),,Ive also heard the Navarre series is good..
The Scriptures portion does, but the commentary does not at this time. Sungenis' book is based on the traditional Chruch view, and is much more detailed than moest study Bibles (560 pages for the Apocalypse).

Mark Wyatt
Old Jul 2, '07, 6:01 am

Renton405, Sungenis applied for an imprimatur last year and his bishop denied the request, so his commentary does not have an imprimatur.
Old Jul 2, '07, 7:23 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renton405 View Post

Robert Sungeis is in the process of obtaining an imprimatur. The current volume does not have one.

Mark Wyatt
Old Jul 2, '07, 12:11 pm

Mark Wyatt,

I asked you questions about this a month ago and you sounded like there were no problems with getting the imprimatur from Dr. Sungenis' bishop for the Apocolypse study bible.

Is it true that his bishop turned him down for the imprimtur? And did you know about it when you answered back then?

Old Jul 3, '07, 9:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestonGrant View Post
Mark Wyatt,

I asked you questions about this a month ago and you sounded like there were no problems with getting the imprimatur from Dr. Sungenis' bishop for the Apocolypse study bible.

Is it true that his bishop turned him down for the imprimtur? And did you know about it when you answered back then?

Answered here.

I wanted Robert to make his statement before I answered.

BTW: If you remember, here, I said (to you):

"I understand your concern about the imprimatur, and will not argue against it. I still stand by my recommendation of Sungenis' book, even without imprimatur ..."

The book does not have an imprimatur (for the commentary- it does for the Scriptures), and no one (myself included) was trying to hide that.

Mark Wyatt
Old Jul 3, '07, 10:27 pm

The question wasn't about whether it had an imprimatur. It was about if it was turned down, when it was sent and if anything came back from his bishop. I wasn't the only one asking questions. You were being very misleading with the words you used and tried to make people think everything was fine by using words in a clever way. Everything wasn't fine. And I don't appreciate it.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture