Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Mar 26, '08, 4:52 pm

Religion: Nominal Protestant
Default First Eucharist -- the experience...

Hello:

I was baptized, confirmed, and partook of the Eucharist last Saturday night during the Easter Vigil. It was magnificent and I am so happy to now be a member of the Catholic Church. Last night, our RCIA group had the first mystigogia class and each member was asked to describe what he/she felt or experienced during this mass. Compared to everyone else, my experiences seemed somewhat subdued. During the Baptism, profession of faith, and the anointing with Holy chrism oil, I was basically trying to remember what I was supposed to do and when I was to do it. I suppose that I was just too self absorbed to experience much. However, the Eucharist was a different story…

When I was offered and received the Host, nothing happened. However, when I partook of the Blood of Christ, before I could even get back to the pew my entire upper torso seemed to “heat up.” As soon as the blood hit my stomach I felt this warmth (I mean EXTREME warmth) and the tears came uncontrollably. This was the most dramatic experience of my life and I’ve been on this planet for 51 years. Well, this is probably a lame description but it’s the best I can do. Now the questions…

Was this the Holy Spirit at work? Is this something that happens often? Most people in my RCIA class commented strongly on the actual Baptism -- many of whom were simply candidates and therefore just watched. Out of approximately 25 people, only one other individual reported the same experience as mine. Any thoughts?

Thanks be to God and everyone here for helping me get to this point!
Tmac1956
Old Mar 26, '08, 5:00 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: First Eucharist -- the experience...

Congratulations and welcome home!

I don't think that I can offer any words regarding your experience, other than I think you should cherish it forever. As I'm sure you will.

At the vigil when I was received into the Church I had a pretty bad night all way round. I had worked all night on Good Friday and suppose I was too excited to sleep on Holy Saturday so I was pretty exhausted. I didn't realize that the vigil was going to be so long. And on top of it all, the incense, to which I'm allergic, gave me a splitting headache. So I didn't really enjoy or appreciate any of it. But that's OK. Still counts! And God's grace, as always, is sufficient.

I think that's awesome... the experience you had. Congratulations again!
Old Mar 27, '08, 5:30 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmac1956 View Post
Was this the Holy Spirit at work? Is this something that happens often? Most people in my RCIA class commented strongly on the actual Baptism -- many of whom were simply candidates and therefore just watched. Out of approximately 25 people, only one other individual reported the same experience as mine. Any thoughts?

Tmac1956
You received a "signal grace". Unfortunately it doesn't happen to often. I received more of these when I first converted. For example, after my second confession I had a similar experience... not the heat, but tears that I couldn't stop, and didn't want to stop. It was cleansing tears proceeding from love Fortunately, it started when I got in the car where no one could see.

It's great to have you in the Church.
Old Mar 27, '08, 5:33 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

quite frankly, nothing much does happen emotionally, on that superficial level, for most people, at that moment, That it did for you is a grace for which you should be thankful, but in no way does it represent a "test" for either you or Christ, or the Holy Spirit, or the efficacy of the sacrament. Of far more value to you will be the mystagogical reflection on the reality and effects of the sacraments during the next 50 days.
Old Mar 27, '08, 5:38 am

After 1st Eucharist the chrism oil warmed up and it was a reminder of another signal grace I had received that helped push me into my conversion. I know that 1st Eucharist was an intense moment for me but my friends (who stood in as my family because my real family would never sit through the Mass) said that you could see the emotion on my face and through my entire body. While I was walking back to my pew my hand were clasp so tight that I thought I would either break a finger or never get them unclasp at all. I've never felt so at peace as I did praying in that moment.

God is awesome!
Old Mar 27, '08, 5:46 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Catholic Convert 2008

Quote:

When I was offered and received the Host, nothing happened. However, when I partook of the Blood of Christ, before I could even get back to the pew my entire upper torso seemed to “heat up.” As soon as the blood hit my stomach I felt this warmth (I mean EXTREME warmth) and the tears came uncontrollably. This was the most dramatic experience of my life and I’ve been on this planet for 51 years. Well, this is probably a lame description but it’s the best I can do. Now the questions…
This is EXACTLY how I felt! You are not alone!

Welcome Home!
Old Mar 28, '08, 7:13 pm

Quote:
Hello:

I was baptized, confirmed, and partook of the Eucharist last Saturday night during the Easter Vigil. It was magnificent and I am so happy to now be a member of the Catholic Church. Last night, our RCIA group had the first mystigogia class and each member was asked to describe what he/she felt or experienced during this mass. Compared to everyone else, my experiences seemed somewhat subdued. During the Baptism, profession of faith, and the anointing with Holy chrism oil, I was basically trying to remember what I was supposed to do and when I was to do it. I suppose that I was just too self absorbed to experience much. However, the Eucharist was a different story…

Tmac1956

I too was baptised, confirmed, and given first Holy Communion. I didn't have an experience quite like yours. I was nervous and my mind was blank during the baptism and confirmation, but when it came time for the Eucharist, wow. As I walked back to the pew and knelt, the Host was dissolving in my mouth and I got this incredible feeling of...well it wasn't emotion like I was expecting but a sort of non-emotional happiness? I don't know how to describe it, it was almost like warmth the base of my ribcage, but it didn't seem to be a physical sensation like warmth. I received at the Easter sunday Mass as well, and had the same experience. I found that this week, I have been far more aware of my day-to-day venial sins and how most of what i do is motivated by pride, jealousy, lust, etc. The feeling I had during Communion seems to give me strength though, and I have not committed my habitual mortal sins this week, and the temptation to do so seems far removed and...weak compared to what it once was.

Deo Gratias!

And welcome to the Church! It's great, isn't it?
Old Mar 28, '08, 10:04 pm

I was confirmed and i communed for the first time in my life this past easter. I didn't expect any life changing earth shattering reactions. I forbade myself from thinking about it so that i wouldnt hype myself up to be dissapointed.

The greatest mystery to me was that it tastes like bread, looks like bread, but it is truly Jesus Christ's flesh. It's a bit of a mind twister! I spent my thanksgiving offering praise to Jesus and asking him to fill my "cup of faith" so that i never take his flesh for granted.

Since then i've been every day this week, i just can't stop. I don't get any "feelings", there was one moment i felt briefly ecstatic. For me, the big difference comes 20 to 30 minutes after receiving. I feel much more sensitive to the people and things around me, i feel more love for everything, i want to help people. I would say that is a positive effect on my life.

Oh, and since palm sunday the Lord has kept me free from my past vices, and this time i'm not foolish enough to squander this grace!

My gf said, when i asked her how it felt, sometimes you feel a little something, most of the time you don't.

Keep the faith!

-revelations

www.beadsofsteel.com- The Last Rosary You'll Every Buy
Old Mar 28, '08, 10:56 pm
Banned

Religion: Traditional Roman Catholic

Quote:
Hello:

Tmac1956
LOL. Not to rain on your parade, but that very thing happens to me a lot whenever I drink wine. It was probably a physiological reaction to the wine. After all, Christ's Body & Blood are fully present in both, so why would it not have occurred with the host if it were a spiritual experience?
Old Mar 29, '08, 8:27 am

Religion: Nominal Protestant

I know what drinking wine is like -- this is a completely different sensation.
Old Mar 29, '08, 8:33 am
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refugium View Post
LOL. Not to rain on your parade, but that very thing happens to me a lot whenever I drink wine. It was probably a physiological reaction to the wine. After all, Christ's Body & Blood are fully present in both, so why would it not have occurred with the host if it were a spiritual experience?
Yes, however, the warmth of the wine is a physical sensation that can remind us that we are receiving the blood of Our Lord, now, that is a spiritual experience.

Also, after receiving the host, it would take a moment to chew and swallow and most of the time you are swallowing half of the host while drinking the wine..so who's to say that the experience wasn't from both the host and the wine?? huh?? huh???

I really don't think this is a *LOL* experience.... don't debunk someone's personal experience with the Eucharist. Those of us who have waited years for the Body and Blood are really, really taking this experience personally....you are not raining on MY parade at all. God bless.
Old Mar 29, '08, 8:35 am
Prayer Warrior

Quote:
I know what drinking wine is like -- this is a completely different sensation.
I received the Eucharist in the ECUSA, it was a totally different experience. I completely understand what you are saying...

I drink wine often. With meals.
Old Mar 29, '08, 11:41 am

No, it wasn't from the wine. What you describe are signs from the Holy Spirit; I have experienced these, and others, as well. Heat is often a sign of healing going on, that can be physical or spiritual. The same can be said for tears. It was a powerful experience and grace for you and don't let anyone take that from you. What Pax said about a signal grace is true. Welcome home!

St. Philomena, pray for us.

St. Alphonsus Church, New Orleans
Old Mar 29, '08, 1:27 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

I was terrified I remember that. The awesomeness of the act had been drilled into us beforehand and I remember wondering if I should even receive because I had told some lies the day before. and had not confessed them. I thought I might be struck dead or something.

I wasn't struck dead, but I still remember how scared I was
Old Apr 2, '08, 1:54 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: cradle Roman Catholic and loving every moment

Quote:
First - WELCOME HOME
What you describe can happen to people very often depending on their love of and devotion to Jesus in the Eucharist. Sometimes I hold back tears of joy I feel so unworthy and so blessed at the same time. Other times, I feel nothing. It goes back to your inner disposition at that time. Would that we would all feel something always. Treasure this and pray for it again. It it does not happen, don't feel bad or discouraged as this could be a special blessing and gift for your First Eucharist to burn into your soul the desire to receive Jesus often. Do so. You can only be better for it.
Deacon Ed B

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism