Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Popular Media

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Dec 5, '08, 1:42 am

Religion: Catholic
Default Beyonce's Ave Maria

While watching a bit of the Rockefeller Center Tree Lighting on TV, I saw Beyonce sing Ave Maria. I was a bit weirded out by the lyrics. Her version is a love song between herself and a man and the Ave Maria part is supposed to symbolize the "spiritualness" of her love. If she wants to express herself this way that is one thing, but singing it during a Christmas special is, in my opinion, pretty disgusting. If you have heard the song or read the lyrics, please tell me what you think.
Old Dec 5, '08, 5:31 am
Banned

Send a message via AIM to BayernAnhaenger
Default Re: Beyonce's Ave Maria

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAROLOFTHEBELLS View Post
While watching a bit of the Rockefeller Center Tree Lighting on TV, I saw Beyonce sing Ave Maria. I was a bit weirded out by the lyrics. Her version is a love song between herself and a man and the Ave Maria part is supposed to symbolize the "spiritualness" of her love. If she wants to express herself this way that is one thing, but singing it during a Christmas special is, in my opinion, pretty disgusting. If you have heard the song or read the lyrics, please tell me what you think.
The fact that some washed-up, 90s pop star did a rendition of a beloved classic song already tells me it's gonna smell worse than a bathroom after you know what. It's pitiful producers and the media think we want to hear this garbage they invent. There's a *REASON* the songs are classic. They don't need to be re-worked or re-invented.
Old Dec 5, '08, 5:49 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic no adjectives

yeah and listen to how they butcher the National Anthem
but this is a hymn for goodness sake
thank goodness somebody is keeping a list and checking it twice
Old Dec 5, '08, 6:14 am

I think Beyonce really butchered that Ave Maria. She couldn't even carry the notes. I don't care too much for her. I didn't pay attention to what she was singing until I heard "Ave Maria."

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAROLOFTHEBELLS View Post
Old Dec 5, '08, 1:35 pm

That song was awful. I couldn't make sense of it. That whole show was pretty bad. So sad to have all those "holiday" songs and not ONE about the reason for the season
Old Dec 5, '08, 8:27 pm

I can't open You Tube, so I wasn't able to see the other song. Maybe that's for the best. I don't want to get too worked up!

Yes, the Rockerfeller Center show was pretty bad. I just tuned in every now and then to see if the tree was getting lit yet. The other night, on PBS, I saw a compilation of Andy Williams Christmas specials. Now that was good! They don't make shows like that anymore. On my more local PBS station at the same time was Celtic Woman, with a mixture of Christmas music and Irish music. Those girls know how to sing and still remain ladies!
Old Dec 6, '08, 11:31 am

Harry Connick jr. sings & plays the BEST version of
Ave Maria I ever Heard.

So Beautiful & Holy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jd4X_9S6mw
Old Dec 6, '08, 6:01 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

I am trying to understand the point of the song? Why is Ave Maria mentioned? It is all about me, right? That is what it is.... We can't sing a song of praise, lets sing a song for me. Then the comment below on you tube. sigh....

“Let nothing disturb thee; Let nothing dismay thee; All things pass; God never changes. Patience attains All that it strives for. He who has God Finds he lacks nothing:God alone suffices.”

St. Teresa of Avila
Old Dec 6, '08, 6:11 pm

Religion: Bye Catholic Church!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmyS View Post
I am trying to understand the point of the song? Why is Ave Maria mentioned? It is all about me, right? That is what it is.... We can't sing a song of praise, lets sing a song for me. Then the comment below on you tube. sigh....
I read somewhere that her new album is divided into two discs. One disc is sung by "Sasha Fierce", her naughty, sexy alter-ego and the other disc is her sweet, innocent persona.

I suppose the songwriters and producers thought putting a line of "Ave Maria" would make for a good song to fit in her "innocent" person's disc. Hahahaha.

I suppose it's not really that offensive. Schubert's Ave Maria was originally a pop song called Ellens dritter Gesang that was converted to a hymn. It used to be banned at Mass.

Now, if Beyonce used a sample from a Gregorian Chant, that would be different...

"...the boat has taken on so much water as to be on the verge of capsizing." Pope Benedict XVI
Old Dec 6, '08, 6:23 pm

What I read was that she wanted to express how spiritual the love between herself and her man is. I don't remember where I read it or I would find a quote and post it. Although it is doesn't have blantly sexual lyrics it is similar, in my opinion, to saying in a song that making love to someone makes you want to say, "Oh, God!" Anyway, that's how it hits me. I guess you could say that it is similar to Madonna's "Like a Prayer" in the respect that it equals love with spirituality. I do think using the words Ave Maria to express that is not necessary and putting the song on a Christmas special was totally inappropriate. It''s more than just saying, "It's all about me." It's saying, "It's all about me, my body, my heart, my feelings and I am going to use the name of the Blessed Mother to express that."
Old Jan 1, '09, 5:45 pm
Observing Member

Religion: CATHOLIC

WOW, controversy abounds from Beyonce's "Ave Maria" here. I ache inside to hear all the criticism of her song, her dress and of her as a human being. Is this how we spread the message of our Faith? Does anybody really think they can "know" what her song is about? Can you be so sure of her intentions? She is not mocking the Mother of God, as some of you would like to believe with this over-analytical banter. Give her a break. Admit her talent & beauty is God-given and perhaps in her own way (not yours) she is drawing someone on this Earth closer to Mary, just by her lovely presence and talent, and the heavenly refrain: "Ave Maria". Peace on Earth to all in 09!!
Old Jan 1, '09, 5:55 pm
Prayer Warrior

Religion: Eastern Orthodox
Send a message via AIM to damooster

Quote:
Originally Posted by siena siena View Post
WOW, controversy abounds from Beyonce's "Ave Maria" here. I ache inside to hear all the criticism of her song, her dress and of her as a human being. Is this how we spread the message of our Faith? Does anybody really think they can "know" what her song is about? Can you be so sure of her intentions? She is not mocking the Mother of God, as some of you would like to believe with this over-analytical banter. Give her a break. Admit her talent & beauty is God-given and perhaps in her own way (not yours) she is drawing someone on this Earth closer to Mary, just by her lovely presence and talent, and the heavenly refrain: "Ave Maria". Peace on Earth to all in 09!!
Sorry, but her "rendition" did nothing to bring someone closer to Mary and, judging from her lyrics, that wasn't even her goal.

I actually like Beyonce, but her version of Ave Maria takes away from the true meaning of the song, and her "dress" was too revealing.

As to your "is this how spread the message of our Faith," I say yes; you need to call people out when they do wrong. Am I supposed to condone her song when I really condemn it? That's not fair to me or to anyone else.

I'll still listen to "If I Were a Boy" but her "Ave Maria" has got to go (in my opinion).
Old Jan 1, '09, 7:19 pm

Religion: catholic

Ave Maria means Hail Mary.

The term is used by Catholic so obviously, the song Ave Maria is likely a Catholic lyrics.

Now what does a protestant know anything about Hail Mary ??

Apparently, Beyonce had no idea what it means it's a wonder she used it in her song. Stupid.
Old Jan 2, '09, 11:36 am

Religion: Bye Catholic Church!!!

I, too, can make an incoherent pop song mixing in some cool sounding phrases out of context:

I wanna dance with somebody, Pater Noster.

Say my name, say my name, Theotokos.

I'm a Survivor, bugaboo ora pro nobis.

Baby, let's party, San Juan Capistrano. Amen.

In nomine Patri, oh yeah. mmm yeah. oohh. mmm bop.

"...the boat has taken on so much water as to be on the verge of capsizing." Pope Benedict XVI
Old Jan 2, '09, 9:20 pm
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Religion: Dog-paddling the Tiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPUSC View Post
I, too, can make an incoherent pop song mixing in some cool sounding phrases out of context:

I wanna dance with somebody, Pater Noster.

Say my name, say my name, Theotokos.

I'm a Survivor, bugaboo ora pro nobis.

Baby, let's party, San Juan Capistrano. Amen.

In nomine Patri, oh yeah. mmm yeah. oohh. mmm bop.

(Note to self: do not read JPUSC's posts while trying to take a drink of water ... this can be hazardous to your keyboard's health )

No Catholic Radio in your area? Listen online free: http://ihradio.org/wp-content/themes...io/listen.html

Ready for college? Check THIS out http://youtube.com/watch?v=2ganIqre0QE

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Popular Media