Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

View Poll Results: How are we saved?
Through the merits of Christ's passion and death 162 62.55%
By baptism receiving the free gift of sanctifying grace 110 42.47%
By cooperating with God's grace 119 45.95%
By having the virtues of faith, hope, and love 97 37.45%
By doing good works through God's grace and thereby growing in holiness 114 44.02%
By grace alone 106 40.93%
By faith alone. I accept Jesus as my personal Lord and Savior. Then I can sin all I want and it won't matter. I don't have to do any works of love or pray or anything. I can do what I want. 7 2.70%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 259. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old Jan 1, '05, 12:01 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default How are we saved?

Lot's of folks misunderstand what Catholics believe about salvations. So what do you think?
Old Jan 1, '05, 12:13 pm

Default Re: How are we saved?

You can choose more then one answer. Hint: the top 6 encompass what the Catholic Church teaches.
Old Jan 1, '05, 12:15 pm

Send a message via AIM to Lisa4Catholics

Thanks for the hint I was going into a panic God Bless
Old Jan 1, '05, 12:20 pm

Send a message via ICQ to robertaf Send a message via AIM to robertaf Send a message via MSN to robertaf Send a message via Yahoo to robertaf

Happy New Year Church

I wish I had read your posts before I voted. When I thought I had one vote, I could only say "By cooperating with God's Grace".
Doesn't that pretty much include all of the 6? We are saved by the Grace of God but we also must cooperate.
Old Jan 1, '05, 12:32 pm

Religion: Evangelical Protestant

I don't think this this option is fair.

"By faith alone. I accept Jesus as my personal Lord and Savior. Then I can sin all I want and it won't matter. I don't have to do any works of love or pray or anything. I can do what I want."

It shows a great lack of understanding of the Evangelical postition.

Remember, when presenting the postition of another, do it in such a way that they would listen to it and say, "That is exactly what we believe." Otherwise, it is the very definition of a straw man.

I am looking for an honest answer. Do all Catholics really believe that this is a fair discription of the Evangelical postition of how a person is saved?

Michael
Old Jan 1, '05, 12:48 pm

Send a message via ICQ to robertaf Send a message via AIM to robertaf Send a message via MSN to robertaf Send a message via Yahoo to robertaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelp

"By faith alone. I accept Jesus as my personal Lord and Savior. Then I can sin all I want and it won't matter. I don't have to do any works of love or pray or anything. I can do what I want."....

I am looking for an honest answer. Do all Catholics really believe that this is a fair discription of the Evangelical postition of how a person is saved?

Michael
If I hadn't known Cestus for several years in forums, I would probably have thought much like you do. However, knowing he is a convert and came out of the Protestant faith, is now a Catholic Priest and has one of the nuttiest sense of humors you can imagine, I simply laugh at many of his posts.
The problem is, he either forgets others do not know all of this or this is the way he chooses to introduce himself to strangers. Frankly, people either like him for who he is or he drives them to tearing their hair out. He rarely sparks indifference.

CD, hope you don't mind (too much) me jumping in here. I am fully aware you know both the Protestant and the Catholic position better than most of us.
Old Jan 1, '05, 12:49 pm
Forum Elder
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter

Religion: Roman Catholic

I voted for, Through the merits of Christ's passion and death If he didn't die for us, then there would be no Salvation....
Old Jan 1, '05, 1:09 pm

Michael,
Roberta knows me well the last one was for fun. However, I have known a few fundamentalists who would find no fault in it.
Old Jan 1, '05, 2:22 pm

Send a message via AIM to Lisa4Catholics

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelp

"By faith alone. I accept Jesus as my personal Lord and Savior. Then I can sin all I want and it won't matter. I don't have to do any works of love or pray or anything. I can do what I want."

It shows a great lack of understanding of the Evangelical postition.

Remember, when presenting the postition of another, do it in such a way that they would listen to it and say, "That is exactly what we believe." Otherwise, it is the very definition of a straw man.

Michael
Michael I am Catholic and I know you don't believe that Usually it is fundamentals,but he didn't say evangelicals Any way,we love you.God Bless
Old Jan 1, '05, 2:25 pm

HAPPY NEW YEAR CD!

ANY NEW YEAR RESOLUTIONS???
Old Jan 1, '05, 2:48 pm

Religion: Cradle Catholic/practice Baptist/looking to return to Cathol

To answer Michaelp, I don't think this is exactly what evangelicals beleive. They beleive that; 1.You must admit that you are a sinner and in need of a savior. 2. You must accept Jesus Christ as lord and saviour and repent of all sins. Repent meaning that you will turn from your previous sinful life and vow to walk a christian life. Sure you will be tempted and commits sins, this is known as backsliding. Then one must come to the "foot of the cross" ask God for forgivness and then continue on the straight and narrow once again. Much like Catholics go to confession. Evangelicals beleive one can go straight to God for forgiveness. Depending on what protestant denomination you belong to will depend on what is taught as to "once saved always saved."

Any evangelical will tell you that if a person prays the "Sinners Prayer" and then continues in a life of sin as before will say that person was never saved. He may have said the prayer with his lips but not his heart, in other words he never really repented. Thereby never received God's sactifying grace.

A person who is truly saved will do good works, as a result of there salvation not for it, regulary ateend church services, be an active member of their church community, do daily bible devotions, yada yada yada.

I say all this with experience. I was baptized and raised Catholic and then left the church for various protestant religions before finally setting on the Baptist church.
Old Jan 1, '05, 6:03 pm
Forum Elder
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic: Revert

Quote:
Originally Posted by cestusdei
You can choose more then one answer. Hint: the top 6 encompass what the Catholic Church teaches.
Yay! Me! I got that one right off the top.

Apocalypsis (My blog)

Old Jan 1, '05, 6:56 pm

Mike,
So you can say the sinners prayer, but if you then sin you were never really saved? This is why the assurance of salvation thing breaks down. There is no real assurance since anyone can backslide. The only alternative is how I phrased it on option 7. I have met baptists who would actually agree with it.
Old Jan 1, '05, 8:10 pm
Forum Supporter

Religion: Mertonian Catholic

Peace be with you all.

I would suggest that we are saved by God's Grace through Faith in Jesus Christ.

In Him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation--in Him when you believed--were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit. - Eph 1:13

For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: - Eph 2:8
Peace.

O Lord, I humbly beseech thee to guide me to that form of religion
which is most pleasing to thee for me to follow upon earth,
in order to fulfill thy will here, and obtain everlasting happiness,
in the name of Jesus Christ thy Son.

Old Jan 1, '05, 8:19 pm

Religion: Cradle Catholic/practice Baptist/looking to return to Cathol

I attended a fundamentalist Baptist church for several years and they actually believed this. Once saved always saved, no matter what sins you committed. Even if you turned your back on God.

I remember once they did skit. They simulated that an entire family perished in a fire that was started by there teeanage daughter who blew the entire house to bits while committing suicide.

The seen was the family standing at the pealy gates being judged. All were damned to hell except for the sucidal girl because she accepted Christ as her saviour in a sunday school class when she was a little girl but never went to church since.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions