Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Mar 19, '09, 7:28 am

Religion: Anglican Catholic
Default Pope To Release Whole New Missal

I have some sources who are close to my local bishop, and I've got some more who were close to Archbishop Burke when he was over the Archdiocese of St. Louis. They all confirm the same story. The Holy Father is working on a whole new missal. It will be the Missal of Benedict XVI, and it is designed to completely replace the Missal of Paul VI promulgated in 1969-70.

Preparation of the new missal is being done behind closed doors. Occasionally something leaks out, and people generally know a new missal is being made, but nobody seems to know exactly what is going on, because the proceedings are private. Some of the leaks include the following...
  • The Liturgy of the Eucharist will more closely reflect the Mass of the Faithful in the Missal of Pius V (Tridentine).
  • The expanded lectionary will remain intact for the Liturgy of the Word.
  • The "peace" will be moved away from the eucharistic prayers and more toward the beginning of the mass, or just after the creed.
  • Various eucharistic prayers from the Missal of Paul VI (Novus Ordo) will be entirely suppressed.
  • The calendars for both the Novus Ordo and Tridentine will be reconciled.
I have also heard it said that the new missal will contain the rubrics for both the Ordinary Form and Extraordinary Form, allowing traditionalists to use the same missal for celebrating the mass according to the 1962 rubrics. The only difference may be the expanding readings. Again, this latter part is just rumor of less reliable sources, which is why I didn't include it in the list above.

Has anybody heard anything else about this?
Old Mar 19, '09, 8:38 am
Forum Elder

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Pope To Release Whole New Missal

Let's see, we still don't have the English translation of the 3rd edition... that means we should see this new missal around 2050.
Old Mar 19, '09, 8:39 am

Religion: Rigid Catholic pre-March 19, 2013 probably leaving now

Are you serious? I'll believe it when I see a credible source.
Old Mar 19, '09, 10:58 am
Forum Master
Forum Supporter

Send a message via AIM to tee_eff_em Send a message via Yahoo to tee_eff_em
Cool Re: Pope To Release Whole New Missal

...I think I first started hearing such hearsay regarding what turned out to be Summorum Pontificum around 2002 or 2003.*

I suppose anything is possible, but unless such a new missal would
  1. Mandate the return to Latin, or
  2. Be promulgated simultaneous with vernacular editions (and not subjected to the several episcopal conferences)
I would not hold my breath.

(* Along with attendant assurances that it would "definitely" be promulgated by a plethora of dates (constantly revised as each subsequent one passed))

tee

THE REPUTATION SYSTEM WANTS TO BE FREE
Homestyle Catholic
Dominae dominique: Elvis ex aedificio exiit!
Old Mar 19, '09, 11:43 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catholicknight View Post
I have some sources who are close to my local bishop, and I've got some more who were close to Archbishop Burke when he was over the Archdiocese of St. Louis. They all confirm the same story. The Holy Father is working on a whole new missal. It will be the Missal of Benedict XVI, and it is designed to completely replace the Missal of Paul VI promulgated in 1969-70.
Are you sure you're not confusing the new translations of the current missal? It seems to me that most of the things listed in your list were mentioned as part of the "revision" of the current missal. I'm going from memory here but I'll try my best:

Quote:
  • The Liturgy of the Eucharist will more closely reflect the Mass of the Faithful in the Missal of Pius V (Tridentine).
  • The "peace" will be moved away from the eucharistic prayers and more toward the beginning of the mass, or just after the creed.
  • Various eucharistic prayers from the Missal of Paul VI (Novus Ordo) will be entirely suppressed.
#1 I think the goal of the new translations were to properly reflect the original latin text, not to just pattern things after the Tridentine missal.

#2 I don't know

#3 I know for certain that Pope Benedict expressed his wish for the sign of peace to move and that it certainly will be moved in the new edition of the current missal.

#4 I seem to recall that the new edition of the missal will not include the various children's liturgies. I'm certain that Eucharistic prayers I-IV are included.

#5 I don't know

Of course, I may be totally mistaken! Like mentioned previously, though, we've been waiting several years just for the new translations of the current missal; how long would we wait until an entirely new missal were drafted? One other thing I recall, too, is that Pope Benedict has expressed a need to "tidy up" the various vernacular versions of the missal but I have never read anything that said he was in favor of promulgating an entirely new one.

But then again, you just never know!
Old Mar 19, '09, 11:52 am
Banned

Quote:

Preparation of the new missal is being done behind closed doors. Occasionally something leaks out, and people generally know a new missal is being made, but nobody seems to know exactly what is going on, because the proceedings are private. Some of the leaks include the following...
I have also heard it said that the new missal will contain the rubrics for both the Ordinary Form and Extraordinary Form, allowing traditionalists to use the same missal for celebrating the mass according to the 1962 rubrics. The only difference may be the expanding readings. Again, this latter part is just rumor of less reliable sources, which is why I didn't include it in the list above.

Has anybody heard anything else about this?
An interesting rumor, but is there confirmation?
Old Mar 19, '09, 12:05 pm
Forum Master
Forum Supporter

Send a message via AIM to tee_eff_em Send a message via Yahoo to tee_eff_em
Question Re: Pope To Release Whole New Missal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothysis View Post
#3 I know for certain that Pope Benedict expressed his wish for the sign of peace to move and that it certainly will be moved in the new edition of the current missal.
I too know that this has been expressed, but I do not know what would be required to move it? Or perhaps I do not know what you mean by the new edition of the current missal? (If you mean: "The missal currently being translated into English (and others?)", that document already exists, promulgated in 2000, with the Peace in its accustomed place)

tee

THE REPUTATION SYSTEM WANTS TO BE FREE
Homestyle Catholic
Dominae dominique: Elvis ex aedificio exiit!
Old Mar 19, '09, 12:14 pm
Banned

I know there is some truth to a few elements of your rumour. The Pope is studying the possibility of suppressing Eucharistic prayers 2 and 4, rendering the entire consecration in Latin exclusively, changing the place of the sign of peace, and giving the option of replacing the modern offertory with the vastly superior Tridentine offertory. It won't require a new missal, though - it'll just be a patching up of the most gaping holes in the Novus Ordo.
Old Mar 19, '09, 3:18 pm
Banned

Religion: Other

I think you're confusing several different stories.

1. A Study Edition of the new English transation of the 2005 Missale Romanum can be found here:

http://www.usccb.org/liturgy/missalf...kAnnotated.pdf

This is NOT a "whole new missal", but simply a corrected English translation. It will not come into effect until the entire missal translation (including all the Propers) gets approved, which it has not yet happened.

At that point, all Anglophone Episcopal Conferences will adopt it at once.

In this study edition, the Canons for Children's liturgies are not included. Whether these were composed by and for the USCCB, hence are not included in the version for ALL English-speaking conferences, or have been permanently suppressed, I don't know.

2. Pope Benedict has expressed a wish for the Peace to be moved to just before the Offertory, and for the Canon to be recited in Latin. So far, neither has been adopted or even encouraged.

3. Wishes have been expressed for the EF and OF calendars to be identical, but I'm not holding my breath.

4. The rest sounds like just rumor to me.
Old Mar 19, '09, 3:22 pm

This could potentially be very amazing.

It will not mandate a return to Latin however. This really shouldn't make a difference to the faithful however.
Old Mar 19, '09, 5:01 pm
Banned

Its interesting that the only reference to this that I've found on Google is a repeating of the information in the original post with a link to this page!

I believe Cluny and Dauphin are correct; you are confusing the revision/translation of the current missal.
Old Mar 19, '09, 5:14 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timothysis View Post
Its interesting that the only reference to this that I've found on Google is a repeating of the information in the original post with a link to this page!

I believe Cluny and Dauphin are correct; you are confusing the revision/translation of the current missal.
Well, gee, if the OP's account was correct, you clearly wouldn't fine anything about it on Google.
Old Mar 19, '09, 5:15 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Folbrecht View Post
Well, gee, if the OP's account was correct, you clearly wouldn't fine anything about it on Google.
Well, Gee, Paul, so you really think that in the entire World Wide Web that the OP is the ONLY person in all of creation outside of the Vatican who knows this information?
Old Mar 19, '09, 7:12 pm
Banned

Religion: Other

**2. Pope Benedict has expressed a wish for the Peace to be moved to just before the Offertory, ....**

FWIW, I've never seen the Pope do this on any televised Mass. If anyone could get away with suddenly implementing it, it would be he.
Old Mar 19, '09, 7:44 pm

Thumbs down Re: Pope To Release Whole New Missal

If they mess with the old calendar/readings cycle, I will be none too happy.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism