Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Oct 15, '09, 11:30 pm
Forum Elder
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Religion: Catholic: Revert
Lightbulb It's NOT in the Bible, okay?

I would much appreciate it if someone one, (especially you who are n-Cs) would display and clarify for me just precisely where it is in the Word of God that it specifically states that everything that Christians believe and practice must be found within its pages.

This also is for some of you Catholics that come in here and all but demand to know where some Catholic teaching or practice is found in the Bible.

The reason I am posting this is because I have read the Bible (all 73 books of it!) many times and have yet to find anything that supports this idea. I have concluded that the Catholic Church is correct in teaching that the Bible does not say this and therefore it is error.

I want all of us Catholics to understand that this is a fundamental doctrinal error of some communities of n-C Christianity and so there is no reason to get distressed when someone comes at you with this stuff, because the fact of the matter is ...it's NOT in the Bible itself.

Apocalypsis (My blog)

Old Oct 16, '09, 9:14 am
Forum Elder
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Question Re: It's NOT in the Bible, okay?

So everyone missed this?

Apocalypsis (My blog)

Old Oct 16, '09, 9:47 am

Religion: Catholic (revert)
Default Re: It's NOT in the Bible, okay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church Militant View Post
I would much appreciate it if someone one, (especially you who are n-Cs) would display and clarify for me just precisely where it is in the Word of God that it specifically states that everything that Christians believe and practice must be found within its pages.

This also is for some of you Catholics that come in here and all but demand to know where some Catholic teaching or practice is found in the Bible.

The reason I am posting this is because I have read the Bible (all 73 books of it!) many times and have yet to find anything that supports this idea. I have concluded that the Catholic Church is correct in teaching that the Bible does not say this and therefore it is error.

I want all of us Catholics to understand that this is a fundamental doctrinal error of some communities of n-C Christianity and so there is no reason to get distressed when someone comes at you with this stuff, because the fact of the matter is ...it's NOT in the Bible itself.
Hmmm,,,,things NCs believe that are not in the Bible. Lets see.
1. Evangelistic appeals.
2. VBS.
3. Youth groups and youth pastors.
4. Church picnics,
5. Praise bands.
6. Bible Colleges.
7. Short hair on men, long hair on women. ( I once knew a preacher who insisted Jesus had a crewcut)
I'm sure there's more, but I can't think of any right now.
Too much Chinese food for lunch.
Old Oct 16, '09, 9:56 am
Forum Elder
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Question Re: It's NOT in the Bible, okay?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustaServant View Post
Hmmm,,,,things NCs believe that are not in the Bible. Lets see.
1. Evangelistic appeals.
2. VBS.
4. Church picnics,
5. Praise bands.
6. Bible Colleges.
7. Short hair on men, long hair on women. ( I once knew a preacher who insisted Jesus had a crewcut)
I'm sure there's more, but I can't think of any right now.
Too much Chinese food for lunch.
A very interesting series of points Servant! Thanks!

(How was lunch? General Tso's chicken? LOVE that stuff!)

Further...if these things you offer are not found in scripture, should they be part of their community ministry? Is this a contradiction?

Here again, the question remains.

Does the Bible teach that everything that we believe and practice has to be found in its pages?

Apocalypsis (My blog)

Old Oct 16, '09, 9:58 am

Religion: Catholic - Roman Rite

I think there's a Sola Scriptura thread (being ignored right now) in the Sacrade Scripture subforum going. I've posted some problematic bible passages there for believers in the "Tradition" which some might say negates half the word of God.
Old Oct 16, '09, 10:22 am
Forum Elder
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazzeto View Post
I think there's a Sola Scriptura thread (being ignored right now) in the Sacred Scripture subforum going. I've posted some problematic Bible passages there for believers in the "Tradition" which some might say negates half the word of God.
Got a link to it?

This thread is really meant to come at that from a slightly different direction. Hopefully some n-Cs will be kind enough to enter the discussion and enrich it.

Apocalypsis (My blog)

Old Oct 16, '09, 11:02 am
Banned

Religion: Christian
Send a message via AIM to Drawmack Send a message via Yahoo to Drawmack

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustaServant View Post
1. Evangelistic appeals.
Doesn't the Bible tell us to evangalize?

Quote:
2. VBS.
Doesn't the Bible tell us to teach our youth in the ways of the Lord?

Quote:
ditto

Quote:
4. Church picnics,
Show me one Protestant who believes these are a necessary means of worship!

Quote:
5. Praise bands.
Doesn't the Bible say that we are to worship with the banging of drums and the clanging of cymbals?

Quote:
6. Bible Colleges.
Doesn't the Bible say that ignorance of the Scriptures is ignorance of Christ and aren't these schools set up to teach people those Scriptures?

Quote:
Doesn't the Bible say something about men praying with a covering on their heads and women praying without a covering and doesn't this passage go on to say that long hair is a covering? (BTW: the Jesus crew cut thing is just silly men didn't wear their hair that way in biblical times.)
Old Oct 16, '09, 11:07 am
Banned

Quote:

Can you show me where in the Bible it calls tradition God breathed? Additionally, if tradition is God breathed then why can it chan, err I mean evolve?
Old Oct 16, '09, 11:15 am

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drawmack View Post
Can you show me where in the Bible it calls tradition God breathed? Additionally, if tradition is God breathed then why can it chan, err I mean evolve?
The Catholic Church speaks of Sacred Tradition. I think that this is what you are alluding to in your post. Can you tell me what the Catholic definition is of Tradition with a capital "T" as compared to tradition with a small "t"? Once you give me your definition then we can comment on your post...................teachccd
Be still and know that I am God. Psalm 46:10
Old Oct 16, '09, 11:19 am

Quote:
And what is your interpretation of 2 Thess. 2:15?
Old Oct 16, '09, 11:28 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachccd View Post
The Catholic Church speaks of Sacred Tradition. I think that this is what you are alluding to in your post. Can you tell me what the Catholic definition is of Tradition with a capital "T" as compared to tradition with a small "t"? Once you give me your definition then we can comment on your post...................teachccd
How about if I give your your definition of Sacred Tradition you'll find it in paragraph 81 of the CCC.
Old Oct 16, '09, 11:41 am

Quote:
How about if I give your your definition of Sacred Tradition you'll find it in paragraph 81 of the CCC.
So then, in light of your reference to the CCC you would acknowledge that our understanding of the New Testament of Sacred Scripture as being the 27 acknowledged books are a part of this "God breathed" Tradition. And you would also acknowledge that our understanding ot the Trinity is also a God breathed Tradition since the term Trinity and many of our understandings are not directly found in Scripture.

Can we start there?
Old Oct 16, '09, 11:44 am

Quote:

How does Saint Paul's comment in 2 Thess. 2:15 parallel itself to paragraph 81 in the CCC? And if it doesn't, why not?
Old Oct 16, '09, 11:49 am

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Quote:

-- Mark L. Chance.
Help throw the bums out. Don't vote for a single incumbent in 2016.
Old Oct 16, '09, 11:51 am

Religion: Catholic

I believe you will find that this question "always" gets ignored.

Even when someone feigns a response it looks something like this:

Question: "Prove to me from Scripture alone that that Scripture says it is the formally sufficient and only rule of Christian faith."

Answer: "You prove to me X." Where “X” is any Catholic teaching.

Somehow the Catholic not being able to “prove” something that they never claimed to be able to “prove” is supposed to “prove” the thing that they themselves cannot “prove” is true.

I guess the logic goes something like this:

If you believe X is true even though you cannot prove it, then you must allow that Y is true because I can’t prove it either.

If this particular logical fallacy doesn’t already have a name, I call dibs!

I dub it the “Chuckism”. Hehe.

Chuck
Take this love, therefore, as the end that is set before you, to which you are to refer all that you say, and, whatever you narrate, narrate it in such a manner that he to whom you are discoursing on hearing may believe, on believing may hope, on hoping may love. - St. Augustine
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics