Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Anglicanorum Coetibus: 2009

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Nov 4, '09, 11:23 am

Default First group of Anglicans formally accept Pope's offer!

The assembly/synod of the Traditional Anglican Communion in the UK voted last Thursday (October 29th) to request that they form part of the proposed Ordinariate in the UK.

This is the first group of Anglicans to formally accept the Pope's offer of Anglican "ordinariates" and to request to be incorporated into full visible union under the terms of the proposed Apostolic Constitution.

see full story http://signumsa.blogspot.com/2009/11...dinariate.html

Wonderful, if expected, news.

Christopher
Old Nov 4, '09, 11:29 am

Religion: Catholic - Roman Rite
Default Re: First group of Anglicans formally accept Pope's offer!

What a blessed day, the slow process of reunification has truely started. Truely, with God all things are possible.
Old Nov 4, '09, 11:36 am
Observing Member

Religion: Roman Catholic

So I was just wondering. Does anyone know details about this issue. I understand that the vatican is allowing Anglican members to keep their traditions such as married priests. My question is this. Will these clergy always have an option of getting married even after they convert?
What other traditions are they allowed to keep?
Old Nov 4, '09, 11:39 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertsbride View Post
So I was just wondering. Does anyone know details about this issue. I understand that the vatican is allowing Anglican members to keep their traditions such as married priests. My question is this. Will these clergy always have an option of getting married even after they convert?
No, the only Priests who will be allowed to serve (in the Latin rite) with Anglican use rights will be those who were already Married, and already serving as Priests. All others will have to observe the rules of celebacy.

They will be allowed to keep some of their leturgical practices, but all sacraments will be fully Latin rite Catholic.

Religion: Eastern Catholic Maronite
Send a message via Yahoo to gmcbroom

Very interesting. I hope more come. I'm making the leap and I'm not Anglican. But, I hope this open invitation for them doesn't have a time limit. I wonder how ELCA or the LCMS will respond.
Observing Member

Religion: Roman Catholic

I am very happy about this union by the way. God is good. We should continually pray for unity!
Old Nov 4, '09, 11:40 am
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertsbride View Post

Wait for the Apostolic Constitution. It should be out shortly.

But the idea of allowing married clergy henceforward is unlikely.

GKC

Anglicanus-Catholicus.
Old Nov 4, '09, 11:40 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcbroom View Post
Very interesting. I hope more come. I'm making the leap and I'm not Anglican. But, I hope this open invitation for them doesn't have a time limit. I wonder how ELCA or the LCMS will respond.
From what I understand, what makes this so special is that there is no time limit. It's open to all anglicans who fully embrace Catholic Orthodoxy. I could be wrong here, since I'm not intmatly familiar with all the details, but that's my understanding.
Old Nov 4, '09, 11:41 am
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris ZA View Post
The assembly/synod of the Traditional Anglican Communion in the UK voted last Thursday (October 29th) to request that they form part of the proposed Ordinariate in the UK.

This is the first group of Anglicans to formally accept the Pope's offer of Anglican "ordinariates" and to request to be incorporated into full visible union under the terms of the proposed Apostolic Constitution.

see full story http://signumsa.blogspot.com/2009/11...dinariate.html

Wonderful, if expected, news.

Christopher

One down. Keep watching.

GKC

Anglicanus-Catholicus
Old Nov 4, '09, 11:54 am

Religion: Episcopal

I wish them all the best!
Old Nov 4, '09, 11:58 am
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazzeto View Post
From what I understand, what makes this so special is that there is no time limit. It's open to all anglicans who fully embrace Catholic Orthodoxy. I could be wrong here, since I'm not intmatly familiar with all the details, but that's my understanding.

At this time, that appears to be the case.

GKC
Old Nov 4, '09, 12:13 pm

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcbroom View Post
The "liberal/conservative" splits never really happened in American Lutheranism. As those Europeans who brought the Lutheran expression of Christianity to the New World began to form heirarchical associations, they went by like minded groups.

As the LCMS is a more conservative Lutheran branch, they don't need the Pope's offer to save them from teh_evul_librulz. Those Lutherans in the ELCA who are frustrated with teh_evul_librulz will move to the LCMS or WELS, and those who want a more libral expression of Christianity will move from the LCMS or WELS to the ELCA, or perhaps the Episcopal Church.
Old Nov 4, '09, 12:25 pm
Banned

Religion: Catholic

Quote:
The "liberal/conservative" splits never really happened in American Lutheranism.

Not quite true. There are already deep rumblings among the US Lutherans as regards actively gay pastors or pastors who are in openly gay relationships.

Local groups of course will decide on these matters for their own particular area but I know of many conservative pastors & their flock who feel they cannot accept such a life-style as 'normal' and will most likely split from their parent Church over this matter. In that case I see many of them joining Rome since in many aspects their differences with Rome today seem lesser than those of the Anglicans.

We live in interesting times.
Old Nov 4, '09, 12:27 pm

Religion: TRADITIONAL ANGLICAN CATHOLIC

They voted to accept something they have not even seen!

What fools these mortals be!

Cardinal Levada issued 2 sections of the AC earlier this week, and there will be NO ongoing married priests after those that are currently married. This means they will not be any more likely to find priests than Roman Catholics.

I want to see if there will be anything left of Anglicanism, or if this will be like the Anglican Use, conversion of all, and gone after one generation.
Old Nov 4, '09, 12:45 pm
Forum Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by piperspop View Post
They voted to accept something they have not even seen!

What fools these mortals be!

Cardinal Levada issued 2 sections of the AC earlier this week, and there will be NO ongoing married priests after those that are currently married. This means they will not be any more likely to find priests than Roman Catholics.

I want to see if there will be anything left of Anglicanism, or if this will be like the Anglican Use, conversion of all, and gone after one generation.

If it plays out as proposed, it will be long term. And open to generations of Anglicans who want to take the trip, should they so decide. If it is established as Ordinariates, not subject to the whims of the local Ordinaries, and if there is a provision, as said, for seminary trained replacement priests (including their own house, if appropriate), it is in for the long haul.

If it is not for you (and it is not for me) then we stay put. If it is just what some are looking for, good for them.

GKC

Anglicanus-Catholicus, posterus traditus Anglicanus

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Archive > Archive > Anglicanorum Coetibus: 2009