Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Nov 22, '09, 4:32 pm

Religion: Catholic
Smile Does anyone wear little chains of iron?

Hello,
I will be making my 33 Day Consecration on January 1st. I am really excited and want it to be just as deep and spiritually beautiful as St Louis de Montfort describes. I take this life vow very seriously and I want to actually wear little chains of iron after reading how important they are in True Devotion to the Blessed Virgin Mary. Is there any one out there who figured out how to do it? Go to Home Depot and get 6'' of chain? But how to attach it? I'm planning on wearing it on my wrist. Any ideas are appreciated! Does anyone actually do this, if so please tell me how.
Leeray
Old Nov 22, '09, 5:20 pm
Forum Elder

Default Re: Does anyone wear little chains of iron?

You can wear the miraculous medal as a necklace, which is a chain. In True Devotion, St. Louis specifically endorses this medal as I recall.
Old Nov 22, '09, 8:12 pm
Banned

Religion: Orthodox

I assume you mean chains as an ascetical device?

There's a story of the ancient monks that goes like this.

Once a monk went to visit a very holy elder and asked his blessing to wear chains wrapped around his body as a penance. The elder said, "First, let us pray, eat something, and talk about it, brother."

During the meal, the elder suddenly hit his visitor so hard he fell to the floor. The monk was very angry and began saying some hot, angry words.

The elder made a prostration before him and said, "Forgive me, brother. But if you cannot do what is necessary, namely restraining your anager, why do you want to do what is not commanded by the Lord?"
Old Nov 23, '09, 6:22 am
Book Club Member

. . . I shall simply relate an incident which I read in the life of Mother Agnes of Jesus, a Dominican nun of the convent of Langeac in Auvergne, who died a holy death there in 1634.

When she was only seven years old and was suffering great spiritual anguish, she heard a voice telling her that if she wished to be delivered from her anguish and protected against all her enemies, she should make herself the slave of our Lord and his Blessed Mother as soon as possible. No sooner had she returned home than she gave herself completely to Jesus and Mary as their slave, although she had never known anything about this devotion before. She found an iron chain, put it round her waist and wore it till the day she died. After this, all her sufferings and scruples disappeared and she found great peace of soul.

This led her to teach this devotion to many others who made rapid progress in it - among them, Father Olier, the founder of the Seminary of Saint-Sulpice, and several other priests and students from the same seminary. One day the Blessed Virgin appeared to Mother Agnes and put a gold chain around her neck to show her how happy she was that Mother Agnes had become the slave of both her and her Son. And St. Cecilia, who accompanied our Lady, said to her, "Happy are the faithful slaves of the Queen of heaven, for they will enjoy true freedom." Tibi servire libertas.

. . . It is very praiseworthy and helpful for those who have become slaves of Jesus in Mary to wear, in token of their slavery of love, a little chain blessed with a special blessing.

It is perfectly true, these external tokens are not essential and may very well be dispensed with by those who have made this consecration. Nevertheless, I cannot help but give the warmest approval to those who wear them. They show they have shaken off the shameful chains of the slavery of the devil, in which original sin and perhaps actual sin had bound them, and have willingly taken upon themselves the glorious slavery of Jesus Christ. Like St. Paul, they glory in the chains they wear for Christ. For though these chains are made only of iron they are far more glorious and precious than all the gold ornaments worn by monarchs.

At one time, nothing was considered more contemptible than the Cross. Now this sacred wood has become the most glorious symbol of the Christian faith. Similarly, nothing was more ignoble in the sight of the ancients, and even today nothing is more degrading among unbelievers than the chains of Jesus Christ. But among Christians nothing is more glorious than these chains, because by them Christians are liberated and kept free from the ignoble shackles of sin and the devil. Thus set free, we are bound to Jesus and Mary not by compulsion and force like galley-slaves, but by charity and love as children are to their parents. "I shall draw them to me by chains of love" said God Most High speaking through the prophet.

. . . These loving slaves of Christ may wear their chains around the neck, on their arms, round the waist or round the ankles. Fr. Vincent Caraffa, seventh General of the Society of Jesus, who died a holy death in 1643, carried an iron band round his ankles as a symbol of his holy servitude and he used to say that his greatest regret was that he could not drag a chain around in public. Mother Agnes of Jesus, of whom we have already spoken, wore a chain around her waist. Others have worn it round the neck, in atonement for the pearl necklaces they wore in the world. Others have worn chains round their arms to remind hem, as they worked with their hands, that they are the slaves of Jesus.

St. Louis Marie de Montfort

Shin

Inspirational Quotes from the Saints
, Saints' Books & Forums
Holy Modesty
Old Nov 23, '09, 6:26 am
Book Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpbasilphx View Post
I assume you mean chains as an ascetical device?

There's a story of the ancient monks that goes like this.

Once a monk went to visit a very holy elder and asked his blessing to wear chains wrapped around his body as a penance. The elder said, "First, let us pray, eat something, and talk about it, brother."

During the meal, the elder suddenly hit his visitor so hard he fell to the floor. The monk was very angry and began saying some hot, angry words.

The elder made a prostration before him and said, "Forgive me, brother. But if you cannot do what is necessary, namely restraining your anager, why do you want to do what is not commanded by the Lord?"
I've noticed there are many who do anything to discourage the exterior signs of corporeal mortification that have disappeared due to lack of devotion in this age, an evil sign. If a monk discourages such an instance in a tale from the past, it is not in general, but in a specific case.

The monk could just as well have said, 'If you wish to restrain your anger, take on these chains to remind you to do so, and prepare the way for you to fully realize it.'

But I often see people taking the wrong lesson and thinking, 'Oh, so don't ever do this.' which is not the meaning of such stories.

Shin

, Saints' Books & Forums
Holy Modesty
Old Nov 23, '09, 8:21 am

My wife made her consecration and wears a "chain" bracelet... it's not an instrument of penance (if I remember correctly) so it doesn't need to be industrial strength chain from the hardware store - it's more of a remembrance of one's total servitude towards the Blessed Virgin Mary. So, her chain is more like a piece of non-flattering, non-sparkling jewelry, which she just happened to find laying around the house.

Hope this helps.
Old Nov 23, '09, 10:50 am
Banned

\\The monk could just as well have said, 'If you wish to restrain your anger, take on these chains to remind you to do so, and prepare the way for you to fully realize it.'\\

But he didn't say that, now did he?

His point is that it's better to restrain one's temper than to wear chains.

\\It is very praiseworthy and helpful for those who have become slaves of Jesus in Mary to wear, in token of their slavery of love, a little chain blessed with a special blessing.\\

And Jesus said, "I no longer call you slaves but friends."
Old Nov 23, '09, 10:54 am
Prayer Warrior

Religion: FINALLY CONFIRMED!! 6/12/11 :)

I think that's absolutely amazing! I hope to be able to do that when I'm confirmed.
Old Nov 23, '09, 11:31 am
Book Club Member

Quote:
\\The monk could just as well have said, 'If you wish to restrain your anger, take on these chains to remind you to do so, and prepare the way for you to fully realize it.'\\

But he didn't say that, now did he?

His point is that it's better to restrain one's temper than to wear chains.

\\It is very praiseworthy and helpful for those who have become slaves of Jesus in Mary to wear, in token of their slavery of love, a little chain blessed with a special blessing.\\

And Jesus said, "I no longer call you slaves but friends."
The contrast being that Jesus said that of the old form of slavery.

This form of slavery is a voluntary one, by friends. The model being, you can choose to be this type of slave and serve the every whim of the Lord God and His Queen, or you can choose to be a different type of more free friend, who is of less direct service to God and His Queen.

That is the difference. One serves more, one less. One more immediately, one less. Choose which one you prefer, and which is to your best advantage.

Shin

, Saints' Books & Forums
Holy Modesty
Old Nov 23, '09, 12:12 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shin View Post
The contrast being that Jesus said that of the old form of slavery.

This form of slavery is a voluntary one, by friends. The model being, you can choose to be this type of slave and serve the every whim of the Lord God and His Queen, or you can choose to be a different type of more free friend, who is of less direct service to God and His Queen.

That is the difference. One serves more, one less. One more immediately, one less. Choose which one you prefer, and which is to your best advantage.
I see no reason to try to improve upon Jesus Christ.
Old Nov 23, '09, 12:21 pm
Book Club Member

Quote:
I see no reason to try to improve upon Jesus Christ.
That is not what is being spoken of, and you know it. But whether you want to admit it, actually think about and consider it, or not, well that is different.

Shin

, Saints' Books & Forums
Holy Modesty
Old Nov 24, '09, 1:25 am
Banned

Once upon a time I saw a certain Orthodox prelate force one of the brethren to perform a extraordinary act of mortification in a public restaurant. (Don't ask for details, because I'm not going to give them.)

I was embarassed and puzzled by this scene, which was hardly edifying.

After I had described this incident to a priest-monk from the Holy Mountain, he replied, "There are two things to consider. Was the monk at a spiritual level to profit by such an act? And was the superior spiritually advanced enough to impose such an obedience? I think the answer is, 'No,' to both questions."

Those who have ears to hear.....
Old Nov 25, '09, 11:17 am

Smile Re: Does anyone wear little chains of iron?

I have figured out what I think will be appropriate for me and abide by the suggestions of St Louis de Montfort. In True Devotion to Mary on page 213, under recommended practices it states, "It is also recommended to wear the medal of Mary, Queen of all Hearts." So, the necklace will be my chain and my recommended Medal. Montfort Publications sells the medal and a variety of chains.
Thank you to all who offered great insight!
leeray
Old Dec 1, '09, 1:24 am
Banned

Hi Ieeray,
I'm little bit disappointing to you, because i have never wear iron chain in my life. It's not off i hate them but i have never point on it. Thanks Ieeray for reminding me such alternate option i will try & share my experience with you soon.

Old Dec 1, '09, 2:34 am
Banned

The only chains we need to connect us to the Theotokos are the Prayer Rule of the Mother of God (as St. Pachomius and St. Seraphim called the Rosary), the beautiful Akathist, and other devotions based on the liturgical prayer of the Church.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Traditional Catholicism