Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #1  
Old Mar 9, '05, 6:41 pm
gelsbern gelsbern is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: March 4, 2005
Posts: 1,238
Send a message via Yahoo to gelsbern
Default Jesus ate only 3 times, never bathed, and never used the bathroom

I am new to the forums, and I read time and again posts by many who are either anti-catholic, or interested in catholic beliefs, that such and such was not in the Bible. From the falls of Jesus during His passion, to Mary's assumption, it's "Where is that in the Bible?"

If we go from that point of view, then that means, Jesus only ate a few times, even if inferred. The wedding feast of Cana, The feeding of the multitude and the last supper, since it's not in the Bible that he ate any other time, and if we go by "sola scriptura" then that means in 33 years, Jesus hardly ate, and that means his fast in the wilderness was nothing extraordinary.

Jesus would have been smelly too, since he never bathed, it's not in the Bible, in fact in the Bible the only thing we ever read that got washed was His feet.

Finally, poor Jesus must have suffered from some rare form of constipation, although since he hardly ate, he didn't have to go to the bathroom much, but since it's not in the Bible well it must have never happened.

How many other things happened that didn't make it into the Bible? Well we don't know everything, but thanks to the Church tradition we know of a lot of things that happened during the life of Christ and during his passion that simply weren't written down by the Apostles. Does it really mean that if it isn't in the Bible, it didn't happen? Hardly. Is everything you have ever done been recorded? That time you skipped a rock 4 times across the lake? The night you ate a whole pizza by yourself? Since it's not recorded does that mean it didn't happen?

It's time to stop this ridiculous "It's not in the Bible" stuff, because it doesn't mean anything. The Catholic Church has taught it and everyone at one time believed it, that includes the Lutherans, Baptists, Methodist, etc... they at one time believed it until they decided that they knew more than the Apostles who founded the Church and began rejecting the teachings. "It's not in the Bible" is a lame argument.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old Mar 9, '05, 6:47 pm
catsrus catsrus is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: October 7, 2004
Posts: 3,335
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Jesus ate only 3 times, bathed, or used the bathroom.

Quote:
"It's not in the Bible" is a lame argument.
Yes, it is a "lame" arguement but I've never quite heard it refuted in your manner. Very entertaining too! Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old Mar 9, '05, 6:57 pm
WanderAimlessly WanderAimlessly is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: June 29, 2004
Posts: 41,783
Religion: Catholic - Latin Rite
Default Re: Jesus ate only 3 times, bathed, or used the bathroom.

I have a feeling, with the absurdity of Sola Scriptura, that people who follow this heresey would refer you to John 21:25:
There are also many other things that Jesus did, but if these were to be described individually, I do not think the whole world would contain the books that would be written.
Sorry, I could not resist that one.

PF
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old Mar 9, '05, 7:24 pm
JCPhoenix JCPhoenix is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: June 3, 2004
Posts: 1,532
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Jesus ate only 3 times, bathed, or used the bathroom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderAimlessly
I have a feeling, with the absurdity of Sola Scriptura, that people who follow this heresey would refer you to John 21:25:
There are also many other things that Jesus did, but if these were to be described individually, I do not think the whole world would contain the books that would be written.


Sorry, I could not resist that one.


PF

This verse is a great defense on behalf of Sacred Tradition. Of COURSE it's not all in the Bible! It took 1500 years to WRITE the Bible, then to compile the books, determine what was inspired, what was copied, what was fraudulent, etc. During that time there was such a thing as Oral Tradition, which developed into our Sacred Tradition.

Which leads us to the fullness of the faith, not just the written parts, but the parts requiring faith in the Holy Spirit's guiding hands and the teachings coming directly from the apostles.

I LOVE the Church!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Mar 9, '05, 7:32 pm
jeffreedy789 jeffreedy789 is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: August 12, 2004
Posts: 1,863
Religion: catolica
Send a message via MSN to jeffreedy789
Default Re: Jesus ate only 3 times, never bathed, and never used the bathroom

but even though He did all of those other things (the ones that the world wouldn't contain if we wrote them in books), we don't know what they WERE, so they have no authority over us. and if we DID know what they were, they would look just like the protestant church today.

or so the argument goes....
__________________
'I believe in Christianity as I believe that the Sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.' csl
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old Mar 9, '05, 8:51 pm
Jimmy B's Avatar
Jimmy B Jimmy B is offline
Forum Supporter
Book Club Member
 
Join Date: December 31, 2004
Posts: 4,477
Religion: Roman Catholic, Cradle Catholic (10 Days Old)
Default Re: Jesus ate only 3 times, never bathed, and never used the bathroom

gelsbern, Welcome to CA forums!

Great post!
__________________
Respectfully,

James T. "Jimmy" Brousseau, LAPD Ret. (Class 1-87)


May the Grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, and the love of God and the fellowship of the Holy Spirit be with you all - Go in Peace.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old Mar 10, '05, 4:37 am
StratusRose StratusRose is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: July 13, 2004
Posts: 4,306
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Jesus ate only 3 times, never bathed, and never used the bathroom

I never looked at it from that perspective. In my junior year of college I wrote a paper refuting Sola Scriptura and your ideas would have really given my paper the edge it needed!
__________________
Zack - 4/2/08

Seth - 2/17/10

Sebastian - 9/10/12

Immaculata, 5/12/09
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old Mar 10, '05, 5:02 am
mkw mkw is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: May 21, 2004
Posts: 612
Religion: Catholic
Send a message via Yahoo to mkw
Default Re: Jesus ate only 3 times, never bathed, and never used the bathroom

gelsbern..

Interesting observations, but I would imagine a protestant would return your volley with a simple..."That information is NOT needed for salvation".
__________________
Through Mary to Jesus....Heavens ultimate tag-team-duo
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old Mar 10, '05, 6:27 am
dnewbern dnewbern is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: January 13, 2005
Posts: 58
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Jesus ate only 3 times, never bathed, and never used the bathroom

Great post--I'll have to remember this one.

One point on eating is the Eucharist, and what IS in the Bible is the statement that whosoever does NOT eat his flesh and drink his blood shall not have eternal life---many fundamentalists have that phrase crossed out in their Bibles.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old Mar 10, '05, 6:36 am
ThornGenX ThornGenX is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: December 6, 2004
Posts: 1,136
Religion: Roman Catholic
Send a message via Yahoo to ThornGenX
Default Re: Jesus ate only 3 times, never bathed, and never used the bathroom

LOL good post!
__________________
ThornGenX
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old Mar 10, '05, 7:27 am
Friar David, O.Carm Friar David, O.Carm is offline
Forum Master
Book Club Member
 
Join Date: June 8, 2004
Posts: 12,750
Religion: Byzantine Ruthenian "Traditional" Catholic
Talking Re: Jesus ate only 3 times, never bathed, and never used the bathroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by gelsbern
Jesus would have been smelly too, since he never bathed, it's not in the Bible, in fact in the Bible the only thing we ever read that got washed was His feet.
You forget His baptism in the river Jordan.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old Mar 10, '05, 8:39 am
StratusRose StratusRose is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: July 13, 2004
Posts: 4,306
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Jesus ate only 3 times, never bathed, and never used the bathroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnewbern
Great post--I'll have to remember this one.

One point on eating is the Eucharist, and what IS in the Bible is the statement that whosoever does NOT eat his flesh and drink his blood shall not have eternal life---many fundamentalists have that phrase crossed out in their Bibles.
Wow, that contracticts the verse in Leviticus that says something like "thou shall not add or take away from the scripture..." I used that in my paper. What a blatant act of disobedience!
__________________
Zack - 4/2/08

Seth - 2/17/10

Sebastian - 9/10/12

Immaculata, 5/12/09
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old Mar 10, '05, 10:42 am
SPOKENWORD SPOKENWORD is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: May 25, 2004
Posts: 2,389
Religion: non denominational
Default Re: Jesus ate only 3 times, never bathed, and never used the bathroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by gelsbern
I am new to the forums, and I read time and again posts by many who are either anti-catholic, or interested in catholic beliefs, that such and such was not in the Bible. From the falls of Jesus during His passion, to Mary's assumption, it's "Where is that in the Bible?"

If we go from that point of view, then that means, Jesus only ate a few times, even if inferred. The wedding feast of Cana, The feeding of the multitude and the last supper, since it's not in the Bible that he ate any other time, and if we go by "sola scriptura" then that means in 33 years, Jesus hardly ate, and that means his fast in the wilderness was nothing extraordinary.

Jesus would have been smelly too, since he never bathed, it's not in the Bible, in fact in the Bible the only thing we ever read that got washed was His feet.

Finally, poor Jesus must have suffered from some rare form of constipation, although since he hardly ate, he didn't have to go to the bathroom much, but since it's not in the Bible well it must have never happened.

How many other things happened that didn't make it into the Bible? Well we don't know everything, but thanks to the Church tradition we know of a lot of things that happened during the life of Christ and during his passion that simply weren't written down by the Apostles. Does it really mean that if it isn't in the Bible, it didn't happen? Hardly. Is everything you have ever done been recorded? That time you skipped a rock 4 times across the lake? The night you ate a whole pizza by yourself? Since it's not recorded does that mean it didn't happen?

It's time to stop this ridiculous "It's not in the Bible" stuff, because it doesn't mean anything. The Catholic Church has taught it and everyone at one time believed it, that includes the Lutherans, Baptists, Methodist, etc... they at one time believed it until they decided that they knew more than the Apostles who founded the Church and began rejecting the teachings. "It's not in the Bible" is a lame argument.
Hi Gilsbern, I can at least answer why you only read about Jesus eating three times in scripture. If you look in John 4 vs 31-34. Jesus said He had food to eat that no one knew about. My food,Jesus said is to do the will of him who sent me and to finish his work. I hope this answers part of your question. As far as bathrooms I believe they didnt exist at the time. Jesus didnt need to bathe because he was clean. He is the one that washes us. God Bless
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old Mar 10, '05, 11:49 am
exoflare exoflare is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: January 28, 2005
Posts: 6,973
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Jesus ate only 3 times, never bathed, and never used the bathroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPOKENWORD
Hi Gilsbern, I can at least answer why you only read about Jesus eating three times in scripture. If you look in John 4 vs 31-34. Jesus said He had food to eat that no one knew about. My food,Jesus said is to do the will of him who sent me and to finish his work. I hope this answers part of your question. As far as bathrooms I believe they didnt exist at the time. Jesus didnt need to bathe because he was clean. He is the one that washes us. God Bless
This kind of "logic" is exactly the reason why sola scriptura abounds.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old Mar 10, '05, 11:56 am
dhgray dhgray is offline
Greeter
Prayer Warrior
 
Join Date: July 26, 2004
Posts: 3,891
Religion: 1998 Catholic Convert
Default Re: Jesus ate only 3 times, never bathed, and never used the bathroom

I wonder, when Mary changed that first diaper, did she coin the terms:

STINKS TO HIGH HEAVEN

and

HOLY CR**
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Sacred Scripture

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump




Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
6607CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: tawny
6151Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: hazcompat
5167Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: grateful_child
4629Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: DesertSister62
4291Poems and Reflections
Last by: Purgatory Pete
4055OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: Fischli
3290For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: GLam8833
3261Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: Herculees
2824Let's Empty Purgatory 2
Last by: TheCrabNebula
2448SOLITUDE
Last by: beth40n2



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:26 pm.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.