Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Social Justice

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old May 17, '10, 3:35 pm
Book Club Member

Religion: Devout Roman Catholic
Default Just Faith

Has anyone heard of a program on Social Justice called "JustFaith"? I am speaking of the Catholic version of course.
Old May 17, '10, 10:49 pm
Banned

Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Just Faith

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryAgnes View Post
Has anyone heard of a program on Social Justice called "JustFaith"? I am speaking of the Catholic version of course.
Yes. Excellent.
Old May 18, '10, 6:25 am

Religion: Roman Catholic, Gender: Female

The founder of JustFaith, Jack Jezreel, is a radical social justice worker who has been closely associatied with two other dissident Catholic groups, Call to Action and Pax Christi. (Some Call to Action members were excommunicated from the Lincoln, Nebraska diocese when they refused to disband.)

There are a number of threads on this forum about this group (and others like it.)

I will try to find them for you.

Neither human nature nor the Commandments nor the Gospel have an expiry date.

~ Cardinal Walter Brandmuller ~
Old May 18, '10, 6:52 am

I no longer have the thread link, but here is what one poster said who had been through the program. (I had copied it to give to our pastor because we have a parish in town who is pushing it.)

Quote:
I dropped out of Just Faith due to the curriculum opposing the basic tenets of the faith, like: Contemplation subordinate to action, sin not being emphasized as the problem but systems like corporations, systems, and even the hierarchy of the Church as opposed to ecclesial based communities as needed for improvement of the world. Jesus as a radical opposing the political powers of the day was the way they presented our Lord.

It smacked of temporal salvation by the correct "use" of divine revelation. Absolutely no Church based books like the "Compendium of the Social Doctrine of the Church" or encyclicals, just what other people say about official Church documents. One book offered, "The Powers That Be, A Theology for a New Millennium" by "Jesus Seminar" member Walter Wink, intimated at the Church "making" Jesus divine in opposition to His actual Divinity. Wink never says that Jesus isn't Divine but one can well deduce his meaning. Gnostic texts are used in place of the Gospel of John due to the spiritual nature of the official Gospel. The historical Jesus is emphasized and sin is de-emphasized.

The reason for a 30 week, multi-hour classes and "immersion" weekends is to re-educate Catholics in a different Christian ethic in order to fit the "humanistic" ideals of the Just Faith program. This is not a problem for Protestant groups as they have such a varied theology that this is just another view added to their personal interpretations anyway. Official Catholic Magisterial teaching is oriented to sin and to our nature based on original sin with salvation through Grace. This Just Faith program is in no way faithful to that. Liberation Theology, taught by priests of the diocese by the way, and dissent by those who ran the group is not the way to teach Catholic social justice.

In replacing action for contemplation and charity for compassion, they overturn the basis of Catholic theology. Action is for man and creation, contemplation is for union with God. If Just Faith is true, the whole Carmelite order is wrong. The correct action is only performed within a union with the Will of God. Charity means the Love of God in everything, even His Mercy for sinners and desiring the sinners repentance, whereas compassion indicates no one is judged by any objective criteria. This is the first teaching of Just Faith, compassion, but it is not compassionate to give earthly food in place of the more needed spiritual food.

In the end, my experience with Just Faith is that it ignores sin, repentance, holiness, grace, etc for a political activism that wants to make the world better by reforming the world, not the person. The person is more important, as mankind was not created in the Image of God, man himself was. It is not compatible with Catholicism and leads those who desire to be in union with God away from this union, perhaps irrevocably, perhaps not. Those who are only "lukewarm" Catholics will not be made anything other than more lukewarm.
Jezreel also says that he wants to transform parishes by "re-defining the Eucharist" meaning according to his teachings on social justice. As you read more about his program you will see that it is involved with community organizing, is HIGHLY political and pushes a progressive, Marxist agenda.

Here is another helpful article:

Old May 18, '10, 7:19 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigg View Post
The founder of JustFaith, Jack Jezreel, is a radical social justice worker who has been closely associatied with two other dissident Catholic groups, Call to Action and Pax Christi. (Some Call to Action members were excommunicated from the Lincoln, Nebraska diocese when they refused to disband.)

There are a number of threads on this forum about this group (and others like it.)

I will try to find them for you.
Ad hominem attacks are rarely useful, no? Do you know him personally? Or are you just insinuating based on no personal knowledge that he should be excommunicated?
Old May 20, '10, 12:52 pm
Banned

Religion: Catholic - no buts.

The fundamental flaw in Liberation Theology is that it rejects (or simply fairs to consider) the reality of Original Sin. Liberation Theology is founded on the supposition that humans are good and that the vast majority of sinful human behavior is the result of outside opression or injustice. Therefore the goal is to fight those external negative forces (usually the rich and politically powerful, though no explanation is given for where THEIR sinful tendencies come from) instead of exhorting the individual to seek the forgiveness and Grace of God through Christ.

Fighting structural injustice CAN be a good and noble thing. But only if it is an outgrowth of FIRST getting right with God via Grace. If it is a substitute for Grace, it is not just a failed philosophy, but a miserably failed philosophy. Even if one first gets the priority of Grace right, one still must be aware of proposed justice solutions that will simply result in the replacement of one tyrannical power structure with another. Failure to remember the universality of Original Sin is precisely why LT has failed so badly where tried in South America. The revolutionaries and/or government functionaries quickly become just as oppressive as those they replace.

I have no personal experience with "Just Faith" but the above should be a very good yardstick to check it out to see if it is a catholic organization or a Liberation Theology organization.
Old May 20, '10, 6:11 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by manualman View Post
The fundamental flaw in Liberation Theology is that it rejects (or simply fairs to consider) the reality of Original Sin. Liberation Theology is founded on the supposition that humans are good and that the vast majority of sinful human behavior is the result of outside opression or injustice. Therefore the goal is to fight those external negative forces (usually the rich and politically powerful, though no explanation is given for where THEIR sinful tendencies come from) instead of exhorting the individual to seek the forgiveness and Grace of God through Christ.

Fighting structural injustice CAN be a good and noble thing. But only if it is an outgrowth of FIRST getting right with God via Grace. If it is a substitute for Grace, it is not just a failed philosophy, but a miserably failed philosophy. Even if one first gets the priority of Grace right, one still must be aware of proposed justice solutions that will simply result in the replacement of one tyrannical power structure with another. Failure to remember the universality of Original Sin is precisely why LT has failed so badly where tried in South America. The revolutionaries and/or government functionaries quickly become just as oppressive as those they replace.

I have no personal experience with "Just Faith" but the above should be a very good yardstick to check it out to see if it is a catholic organization or a Liberation Theology organization.
liberation theology is a separate topic.
Old May 20, '10, 7:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggerdomer View Post
Ad hominem attacks are rarely useful, no? Do you know him personally? Or are you just insinuating based on no personal knowledge that he should be excommunicated?

I never said he should be excommunicated. I think you need to read my post again.

Old May 20, '10, 8:34 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigg View Post
I never said he should be excommunicated. I think you need to read my post again.
Sorry if I misunderstood you.

Can you explain, then, why you introduced the term "excommunication" into this thread? How does it apply to the original post? Thanks for any clarification.
Old May 21, '10, 8:39 am
Banned

Quote:
liberation theology is a separate topic.
Actually, the allegation made by one poster is that "Just Faith" is basically Liberation Theology with some catholic makeup plastered on top. I offered my advice on how to check if an author or an organization has abandoned catholicism for LT so that readers can decide for themselves. Why should they take your word or mine for it?
Old May 21, '10, 9:54 am

Quote:
Sorry if I misunderstood you.

Can you explain, then, why you introduced the term "excommunication" into this thread? How does it apply to the original post? Thanks for any clarification.
Perhaps I wasn't clear. The founder of JustFaith has been closely associated with Call to Action, some members of which were excommunicated by the Lincoln bishop for their participation in this group. I only mention this to give emphasis to the seriousness of their dissenting views. CTA promotes women's ordination, homosexuality, and married priesthood, just to name a few. The point is that Jezreel has been a keynote speaker for CTA, and given that, rather than this being a red herring, I would argue that if he is in conformity with this groups heretical agenda, to beware of JustFaith and his particular brand of social justice.

He has also mentioned he would like to transform parishes by "re-defining the Eucharist" which are frightening words to me - does he think the teaching Magisterium of the church has not done a sufficient job? Also, the previous poster who mentioned liberation theology is not off topic since Jezreel's talks also contain many elements of LT.

More here on JustFaith:

Old May 21, '10, 10:26 am
Banned

Religion: Christian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manualman View Post

manualman

I realize that my agreement with your posting, and a buck fifty will get you a cup of coffee, but your statement here is on point. Liberation in Christ is because of Christ, and without Christ there is no liberation. But such philosophies as mentioned seek the old creed of, “I don’t need to be forgiven.” and as you mentioned they blame “the world” for there short coming but in this do they create the delusion that the world is separate from them, and to be blamed (news media eats and sleeps it and feeds it every day, all the time). But human existence is the world therefore they blame themselves indirectly. Kinda like a false sense of security. (As lone as there is focus on who or what to blame, the Truth and the solution is never realized.) One of the devil’s favorite tricks is to get you to blame the world for blame. But Jesus already took the blame out of the camp of the living. Hence the true Liberation from blame.
Old May 21, '10, 10:39 am
Forum Master

Religion: Informed, practicing RomanCatholic

Quote:
=MaryAgnes;6647816]Has anyone heard of a program on Social Justice called "JustFaith"? I am speaking of the Catholic version of course.
The BEST ADVICE is proceed at your own risk and with GREAT caution.

While some good things have happend; there is a VERY "PROGRESIVE and Liberal Catholic Bent" in there platform.

It would be more accurate to say that JustFaith is expanding commitment within parishes to progressive social solutions and political networking. Jezreel is a popular speaker in progressive venues, such as the dissident-Catholic organization, Call to Action (CTA) and one of its affiliate members, Pax Christi.

Lest anyone imagine his appearance with these organizations were ignorant, one-time only appearances, it must be pointed out that there are several instances of Jezreel speaking before these groups over a number of years. He has spoken at the:

• 1996 Call to Action national conference
• 1997 Call to Action national conference: “Spirituality of Commitment Making Promises, Friends and Justice”;
• August 11-13, 2000 fourth West Coast Call to Action Conference, at San Jose State University: “Transformed People, Transformed Parish, Transformed World”
• 2007 keynote at Call to Action -affiliated Pax Christi National Conference

That’s a problem, because Call to Action disseminates a liberationist – not a Catholic – perspective about social justice. For CTA to invite Jezreel to speak the first time could have been a mistake (“Golly, we thought the man had these cool, progressive political ideas but he’s just another orthodox toady, after all. Our bad.”), but to invite him back to speak requires some significant appreciation for what the man had to say. That doesn’t speak well of Jezreel, any more than collaboration with a fellow who has been the keynote speaker for the Ku Klux Klan would speak well of someone appointed to a Commission on Racial Reconcilliation.

www.speroforum.com/a/.../JustFaith-Is-a-Big-Part-of-the-Problem

http://working4christtwo.wordpress.com

A.B. Fulton Sheen: "The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it, and a lie is still a lie, even if everybody believes it."
Old May 21, '10, 12:18 pm
Banned

But as catholics, we should not judge guilt by association. After all the same logic tosses Jesus to the curb, no? What, HIM? He dined with tax collectors and protitutes! He spoke to Samaritans (on purpose even). He came to the aid of a woman CAUGHT in adultery....

We don't reject the ideas of a person because of who he associates with. Evaluate the ideas themselves and accept or reject them based on the ideas themselves.

Again, I haven't come across "Just Faith" so I can't comment. But if it is, as alleged, a liberation theology contamination of the faith, I gave you a secret decoder ring above to be able to tell.
Old May 21, '10, 4:00 pm
Forum Supporter

Religion: Roman Catholic

Thank you Tigg and PJM. It's good to have this information and I'll watch this thread. Our diocese is bringing JustFaith and Jezreel in. Here is some more reading for anyone interested in knowing who the shepards are allowing in amongst the flock.

http://www.speroforum.com/a/30988/Ju...of-the-Problem

http://interact.stltoday.com/blogzon.../08/justfaith/

http://fratres.wordpress.com/2010/04...th-junk-faith/

http://www.catholicculture.org/cultu...fm?recnum=3568

http://www.catholicculture.org/cultu...sk=showexample

and from this link: http://www.catholicculture.org/cultu...sk=showexample

Quote:
The following is a small sample of authors on a list of recommended books appearing on the JustFaith page at St. Thomas Aquinas parish web site.

Joseph Grassi author of The Secret Identity of the Beloved Disciple in which he presents "evidence" that the fourth Gospel was written by Mary Magdalene rather than St. John.

Mary Lou Kownacki OSB, former director of Pax Christi, USA, is now director of Alliance for International Monasticism located in Erie, PA.

Cindy Pile a peace activist who has a Master of Divinity degree from the Jesuit School of Theology at Berkeley. She is currently the education director for the Nevada Desert Experience, a faith-based group working for the abolition of nuclear weapons, and has served on the national council of Pax Christi, a national Catholic peace movement.

Walter Wink is Professor of Biblical Interpretation at Auburn Theological Seminary in New York City. He has also taught at Union Theological Seminary and Hartford Seminary, and has been a visiting professor at Columbia and Drew universities. In 1989-1990 he was a Peace Fellow at the United States Institute of Peace in Washington, DC. Dr. Wink is a United Methodist minister, works for a Presbyterian seminary, and attends Quaker meeting. For five years he served as pastor of a church in southeast Texas. In an article entitled Homosexuality and the Bible he says, "The truth is, we are not given unequivocal guidance in either area, abortion or homosexuality."

Walter Brueggemann is a United Church of Christ minister who believes that Scriptural condemnations of homosexuality merely reflect biblical authors' cultural biases and are not among the "essential" messages of the gospel.

"Shaping a New World - a Challenge for the 21st Century" compiled by NETWORK Education Program

Marie Dennis is director of the Maryknoll Office for Global Concerns, vice president of Pax Christi International and a Pax Christi USA Ambassador of Peace.
Girded in truth and wielding love As faithful soldiers for the Lord

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Apologetics > Social Justice