Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Eastern Catholicism
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #1  
Old Aug 9, '10, 9:22 am
Tradycja Tradycja is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: February 21, 2009
Posts: 648
Default Fatima, Russia, and Holy Union

Fatima, Russia, and Holy Union by Brother Nicodemus of the Transalpine Redemptorists (now in union with Rome)

Excellent video:
http://www.fatimaondemand.org/en/ind...-and-holy-unia

This is an excellent talk. I hope that one day the Transalpine Redemptorists will also have the faculty to have the Divine Liturgy. They have a few Eastern Catholic members.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old Aug 9, '10, 10:23 am
cathdoki's Avatar
cathdoki cathdoki is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: June 11, 2010
Posts: 639
Religion: Catholic, with love for ALL Christians
Default Re: Fatima, Russia, and Holy Union

I tend to be very concerned when a group is in any way associated with Fr. Gruner. He is not a priest in good standing with the CC.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old Aug 9, '10, 10:31 am
Tradycja Tradycja is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: February 21, 2009
Posts: 648
Default Re: Fatima, Russia, and Holy Union

This recording was made before the Transalpine Redemptorists were canonically regularized. They used to be part of the SSPX, now they have status in the Church just like the FSSP or the Institute of the Good Shepard. The substance of the talk is very good.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old Aug 9, '10, 10:35 am
cathdoki's Avatar
cathdoki cathdoki is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: June 11, 2010
Posts: 639
Religion: Catholic, with love for ALL Christians
Default Re: Fatima, Russia, and Holy Union

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tradycja View Post
This recording was made before the Transalpine Redemptorists were canonically regularized. They used to be part of the SSPX, now they have status in the Church just like the FSSP or the Institute of the Good Shepard. The substance of the talk is very good.
Yes it is! I watched it all. I just noticed that Fr Gruner was also speaking there. That's all I was commenting on. Thanks for the link. I watched and enjoyed. And have gotten other links from it.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old Aug 11, '10, 1:02 pm
Volodymyr Volodymyr is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: September 14, 2004
Posts: 1,126
Religion: Ukrainian Orthodox canonical
Default Re: Fatima, Russia, and Holy Union

SAD SPEECH

I found this to be a particularly sad speech by such a sad fellow. So superficial - he dress up like Orthodox monk, to play at being "Russian", because he love "Russia", but also "India". He fells that Rome is center of Divine Authority and that unity must be centered in the Papacy of Rome. He then says how many Eastern Catholics of India feel ostracized. That word comes from Greek habit to exile or cut people off from community. But he ignores this - just says - o, then you must feel for Catolics of Russia. But he misses the point - these Indian Eastern Catolics have been lost - swallowed alive by Catolic church and then forgotten, and worse ostracized. This is why there will be no Holy Unia under Roman Pope. Such Brother Nikodemius is a sad spokesman who cannot even realize what horrible thing he is urging.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old Aug 12, '10, 8:35 am
Tradycja Tradycja is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: February 21, 2009
Posts: 648
Default Re: Fatima, Russia, and Holy Union

Excuse me but Brother Nicodemus was baptized and grew up in the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church. He is not "dressing up". He is not a Latin, therefore this is the proper dress for a monk in his tradition.

The reason for anyone to be in union with Rome is that it is necessary for salvation. This is what Brother Nicodemus is urging. I don't like a lot of things going on in the Catholic Church, why do I stay? Because otherwise I will not save my soul.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old Aug 12, '10, 8:56 am
cathdoki's Avatar
cathdoki cathdoki is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: June 11, 2010
Posts: 639
Religion: Catholic, with love for ALL Christians
Default Re: Fatima, Russia, and Holy Union

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tradycja View Post
Excuse me but Brother Nicodemus was baptized and grew up in the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church. He is not "dressing up". He is not a Latin, therefore this is the proper dress for a monk in his tradition.

The reason for anyone to be in union with Rome is that it is necessary for salvation. This is what Brother Nicodemus is urging. I don't like a lot of things going on in the Catholic Church, why do I stay? Because otherwise I will not save my soul.
OMGosh, there is a whole thread on salvation outside the Church going on right now. It's one of the most misunderstood statements in Catholicism. How can you possibly think that an Orthodox or devout Protestant is condemned to hell for not being Catholic? What about those 10 Christian Missionary doctors recently killed in Afghanistan while doing God's work? Are they in hell? They weren't Catholic.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old Aug 12, '10, 8:58 am
cathdoki's Avatar
cathdoki cathdoki is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: June 11, 2010
Posts: 639
Religion: Catholic, with love for ALL Christians
Default Re: Fatima, Russia, and Holy Union

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tradycja View Post
Excuse me but Brother Nicodemus was baptized and grew up in the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church. He is not "dressing up". He is not a Latin, therefore this is the proper dress for a monk in his tradition.

The reason for anyone to be in union with Rome is that it is necessary for salvation. This is what Brother Nicodemus is urging. I don't like a lot of things going on in the Catholic Church, why do I stay? Because otherwise I will not save my soul.
Have a grand time:

http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=480821

It's 18 pages long and the discussion goes on with no middle ground. Just like many threads here.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old Aug 12, '10, 6:15 pm
Joe Kelley Joe Kelley is offline
Forum Elder
 
Join Date: June 24, 2004
Posts: 16,339
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Fatima, Russia, and Holy Union

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tradycja View Post
. . . I don't like a lot of things going on in the Catholic Church, why do I stay? Because otherwise I will not save my soul.
It appears that you have good support: John 6:67-69
Quote:
67 Jesus said to the twelve, "Do you also wish to go away?" 68* Simon Peter answered him, "Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life; 69 and we have believed, and have come to know, that you are the Holy One of God."
__________________
I have set before you life and death, blessing and curse; therefore choose life, that you and your descendants may live,
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old Aug 12, '10, 6:45 pm
Tradycja Tradycja is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: February 21, 2009
Posts: 648
Default Re: Fatima, Russia, and Holy Union

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathdoki View Post
OMGosh, there is a whole thread on salvation outside the Church going on right now. It's one of the most misunderstood statements in Catholicism. How can you possibly think that an Orthodox or devout Protestant is condemned to hell for not being Catholic? What about those 10 Christian Missionary doctors recently killed in Afghanistan while doing God's work? Are they in hell? They weren't Catholic.

Well actually Pope Eugene IV proclaimed in the council of Florence that even if you shed your blood for Christ if you do not abide in the Catholic Church you cannot be saved.

Pope Eugene IV, Council of Florence, “Cantate Domino,” 1441, ex cathedra:

“The Holy Roman Church firmly believes, professes and preaches that all those who are outside the Catholic Church, not only pagans but also Jews or heretics and schismatics, cannot share in eternal life and will go into the everlasting fire which was prepared for the devil and his angels, unless they are joined to the Church before the end of their lives; that the unity of this ecclesiastical body is of such importance that only those who abide in it do the Church’s sacraments contribute to salvation and do fasts, almsgiving and other works of piety and practices of the Christian militia productive of eternal rewards; and that nobody can be saved, no matter how much he has given away in alms and even if he has shed blood in the name of Christ, unless he has persevered in the bosom and unity of the Catholic Church.”
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old Aug 12, '10, 6:50 pm
Tradycja Tradycja is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: February 21, 2009
Posts: 648
Default Re: Fatima, Russia, and Holy Union

That said, everyone who is baptized is a Catholic until the point that they embrace a heretical idea or schism.


Pope Pius XI, Ecclesiam Dei, Encyclical on St. Josaphat, Nov. 12, 1923: “Our Saint [Josaphat] was born of schismatic parents but was validly baptized and received the name of John. From his earliest years he lived a saintly life. Although he was much impressed by the splendors of the Slavic liturgy, he always sought therein first and foremost the truth and glory of God. Because of this, and not because he was impressed by arguments, even as a child he turned towards communion with the Ecumenical, that is, the Catholic Church. Of this Church he always considered himself a member because of the valid baptism which he had received. What is more, he felt himself called by a special Providence to re-establish everywhere the holy unity of the Church.”
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old Aug 12, '10, 6:58 pm
Tradycja Tradycja is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: February 21, 2009
Posts: 648
Default Re: Fatima, Russia, and Holy Union

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathdoki View Post
OMGosh, there is a whole thread on salvation outside the Church going on right now. It's one of the most misunderstood statements in Catholicism. How can you possibly think that an Orthodox or devout Protestant is condemned to hell for not being Catholic? What about those 10 Christian Missionary doctors recently killed in Afghanistan while doing God's work? Are they in hell? They weren't Catholic.
If they weren't Catholic they weren't doing God's work.


Check out what St. Francis De Sales says in Catholic Controversy:

"Well now, let us return to our road. Such signal examples and instructions as these, in poverty, chastity, and denial of self, - to whom have they been left? To the Church. But why? Our Lord tells us: He who can receive, let him receive. And who can receive them? He who has the gift of God; and no one has the gift of God but he who asks for it ;-but, how shall they call on him in whom they have not believed. . . . How shall they believe . . . without a preacher ! And how can they preach unless they be sent (Rom. x.)? Now, there is no mission outside the Church, therefore the he who can receive let him receive, is addressed immediately only to the Church, or for those who are in the Church, since outside the Church it cannot be put in practice. S. Paul shows it more clearly : I speak this, he says, for your profit, not to make snares and nets for you, but to persuade you to that which is decent, and which may give you power and facility to attend upon the Lord, and to honor him without impediment.. And, in fact, the Scriptures and the examples that are therein are only for our utility and instruction; the Church then ought to use, and put into practice, these most holy counsels of her Spouse otherwise they would have been vainly and uselessly left, and proposed to her: indeed she has well known how to take them for herself, and to profit by them: -and see how."
http://www.goodcatholicbooks.org/fra...authority.html
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old Aug 12, '10, 6:59 pm
trophybearer trophybearer is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: May 6, 2009
Posts: 441
Religion: Orthodox
Default Re: Fatima, Russia, and Holy Union

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tradycja View Post
That said, everyone who is baptized is a Catholic until the point that they embrace a heretical idea or schism.


Pope Pius XI, Ecclesiam Dei, Encyclical on St. Josaphat, Nov. 12, 1923: “Our Saint [Josaphat] was born of schismatic parents but was validly baptized and received the name of John. From his earliest years he lived a saintly life. Although he was much impressed by the splendors of the Slavic liturgy, he always sought therein first and foremost the truth and glory of God. Because of this, and not because he was impressed by arguments, even as a child he turned towards communion with the Ecumenical, that is, the Catholic Church. Of this Church he always considered himself a member because of the valid baptism which he had received. What is more, he felt himself called by a special Providence to re-establish everywhere the holy unity of the Church.”
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old Aug 12, '10, 7:00 pm
trophybearer trophybearer is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: May 6, 2009
Posts: 441
Religion: Orthodox
Default Re: Fatima, Russia, and Holy Union

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tradycja View Post
Well actually Pope Eugene IV proclaimed in the council of Florence that even if you shed your blood for Christ if you do not abide in the Catholic Church you cannot be saved.

Pope Eugene IV, Council of Florence, “Cantate Domino,” 1441, ex cathedra:

“The Holy Roman Church firmly believes, professes and preaches that all those who are outside the Catholic Church, not only pagans but also Jews or heretics and schismatics, cannot share in eternal life and will go into the everlasting fire which was prepared for the devil and his angels, unless they are joined to the Church before the end of their lives; that the unity of this ecclesiastical body is of such importance that only those who abide in it do the Church’s sacraments contribute to salvation and do fasts, almsgiving and other works of piety and practices of the Christian militia productive of eternal rewards; and that nobody can be saved, no matter how much he has given away in alms and even if he has shed blood in the name of Christ, unless he has persevered in the bosom and unity of the Catholic Church.”
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old Aug 24, '10, 7:48 am
Volodymyr Volodymyr is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: September 14, 2004
Posts: 1,126
Religion: Ukrainian Orthodox canonical
Default Re: Fatima, Russia, and Holy Union

[quote=Tradycja;6943335]If they weren't Catholic they weren't doing God's work.


Does Catolic Church not believe that sinners those in hell are sinners? Does not even your own Pope say: We all know that those who suffer from invincible ignorance with regard to our holy religion, if they carefully keep the precepts of the natural law which have been written by God in the hearts of all men, if they are prepared to obey God, and if they lead a virtuous and dutiful life, can, by the power of divine light and grace, attain eternal life. For God, who knows completely the minds and souls, the thoughts and habits of all men, will not permit, in accord with His infinite goodness and mercy, anyone who is not guilty of a voluntary fault to suffer eternal punishment . Pope Pius IX.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Eastern Catholicism

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump




Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
6597CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: tawny
6138Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: RJB
5162Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: grateful_child
4627Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: neweggs
4287Poems and Reflections
Last by: Purgatory Pete
4053OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: Fischli
3290For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: GLam8833
3261Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: Herculees
2822Let's Empty Purgatory 2
Last by: tawny
2448SOLITUDE
Last by: beth40n2



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 7:24 am.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.