Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Aug 9, '10, 4:50 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Eucharist crumbs falling on the floor...

At a place where I go to mass we use actual bread for the Eucharist as opposed to wafers.

Unfortunately, one of the disadvantages of using real bread is that it is very easy for there to be crumbs that fall over the place during communion.

There have been multiple times where there have been crumbs that fall on the carpet at these masses. I sit in the front, so it's very easy for me to see them. I usually notice it after everyone has received and we are waiting for the alter to be cleared.

Now I usually get reeeeeally scrupulous about this. The reason is because of the fact that, while it is very easy for me to simply pick up the crumbs myself and either eat them or give them to the priest, the fact of the matter is that 1) I get so incredibly frustrated that the EMHC's and the priests are not more careful about this and 2) I get scrupulous about whether I picked up all the crumbs or not. There are usually other substances in the carpet that I sometimes mistake for crumbs, and it is very hard for me to distinguish between what is and what is not actual Eucharist (especially since it falls into a carpet-like material). So I end up scrupling over everything and feeling like I might sin if I don't do a somewhat-thorough "inspection" of the carpet after mass.

My question is this: how much of a moral obligation do I have in this matter? Should I just stop sitting in the front so that I don't see this? Should I just pick up stuff that is obviously the Eucharist and not scruple about other "particles"? Please help
Old Aug 9, '10, 4:55 pm

Default Re: Eucharist crumbs falling on the floor...

I guess the only thing to do is to talk to the priest. It's ultimately up to him to figure out what to do.

I sympathize-- we have real bread as well and it is crumbly!
Old Aug 9, '10, 4:56 pm
Prayer Warrior

I'm sorry I don't know the answer, but I just wanted to say that.. if this is a Latin Rite parish (as opposed to Eastern Catholic) - they're obligated to use unleavened bread (ie: wafers). Only the Eastern rites are allowed to use leavened bread.

If your parish uses leavened bread, it's probably valid as a Sacrament but illicit, and I would recommend finding another parish...

I also think it's a HUGE problem that the crumbs are falling on the floor... usually, if a Host falls to the floor, the priest must pick it up and consume it himself. If the priest is not doing anything about this, that's very unfortunate, and is disrespectful to Our Lord.

Have you spoken to the priest about this?
Old Aug 9, '10, 5:03 pm

Assuming the use of leavened bread is allowed in this particular Catholic sect, wouldn't the proper use of the Paten prevent crumbs from falling to the floor?
Old Aug 9, '10, 5:07 pm
Banned

Religion: ☦ Orthodox Christian ☦

First, the wafers are real bread. They're just made in a different way so that there will be no crumbs, and its easy to give them to the public.

Second, while its not mandatory to use wafers, I wonder what kind of bread you're using. The Latin Rite strictly uses unleavened bread, so it should be flat bread. It should like like a pita bread if its baked into something that looks like what a regular unleavened bread is.

Can you please clarify first if this is a Roman Catholic Church, or an Eastern Catholic Church (Ukrainian, Melkite, etc?). If its a Byzantine Rite Church then leavened bread would be used. But still no reason for crumbs as the Body and Blood of Christ are received together via a golden spoon.
Old Aug 9, '10, 5:08 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Aliano View Post
Assuming the use of leavened bread is allowed in this particular Catholic sect, wouldn't the proper use of the Paten prevent crumbs from falling to the floor?
Home made unleavened bread would still crumb
Old Aug 9, '10, 5:10 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monica4316 View Post
I would recommend finding another parish...
I would recommend not to. And I would recommend that as good, sensible Catholics, we stop giving advise like this one.

If an abuse is spotted, then that person should do all they can to help correct the abuse. Its our duty as Catholics. Why would we allow absue to exist in our Church? Its like a tumor, we must take it out. Otherwise it will only spread. Also, moving out means you're interested only in your own spiritual salvation, and not of others. This is contrary to what Christ has commanded us. We should care about our neighbors, therefore we should not let other people be subject to this abuse.
Old Aug 9, '10, 5:18 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Might have to be a larger paten, but definitely.
Old Aug 9, '10, 7:17 pm

Religion: RC

Quote:
Proper use, most likely would at least help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConstantineTG View Post
I would recommend not to. And I would recommend that as good, sensible Catholics, we stop giving advise like this one.

If an abuse is spotted, then that person should do all they can to help correct the abuse. Its our duty as Catholics. Why would we allow absue to exist in our Church? Its like a tumor, we must take it out. Otherwise it will only spread. Also, moving out means you're interested only in your own spiritual salvation, and not of others. This is contrary to what Christ has commanded us. We should care about our neighbors, therefore we should not let other people be subject to this abuse.
If you had a tumor, wouldn't it be better if a surgeon took it out?

First of all, it needs to be confimed as a tumor, then taken out by someone qualified to do so. The patient can let the surgeon know that there's something wrong, though.
Old Aug 9, '10, 8:24 pm

It's a latin-rite church. And the bread is not really flat, either. Apparently they make it the correct way though.

Is it true that you can only use wafers in the latin rite? Can I see relevant documentation for this?
Old Aug 9, '10, 11:13 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie2 View Post
Proper use, most likely would at least help.

If you had a tumor, wouldn't it be better if a surgeon took it out?

First of all, it needs to be confimed as a tumor, then taken out by someone qualified to do so. The patient can let the surgeon know that there's something wrong, though.
Jesus is the healer, let us be His instruments
Old Aug 9, '10, 11:16 pm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcg2 View Post
It's a latin-rite church. And the bread is not really flat, either. Apparently they make it the correct way though.

Is it true that you can only use wafers in the latin rite? Can I see relevant documentation for this?
No, the requirement only calls for unleavened bread, made with only wheat and water. There is no prescription on the form, but the wafers were made out of the necessity that there be small pieces of bread that can be easily distributed with very minimal danger of crumbs falling. That is why its advisable and highly recommended, but not required. How the bread looks like is already beyond the requirements of valid matter.
Old Aug 10, '10, 5:02 am

Religion: RC

Quote:
Jesus is the healer, let us be His instruments
But who's the surgeon? Jesus is the Dean of the Church, and he trains the surgeons, no?

Old Aug 10, '10, 9:17 am
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie2 View Post
But who's the surgeon? Jesus is the Dean of the Church, and he trains the surgeons, no?

Truth of the matter is, abuses at the parish level should be dealt with at the parish level. And this involves the laity like you and me.
Old Aug 10, '10, 10:58 am
Banned

Religion: OHCAC

Quote:
Truth of the matter is, abuses at the parish level should be dealt with at the parish level. And this involves the laity like you and me.

most priests are not going to listen to you. they do as they please. what planet do you live in?

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Liturgy and Sacraments