Latest Threads
newest posts



Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions
 

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search Thread Display
  #1  
Old Apr 18, '05, 3:44 pm
Rand Al'Thor Rand Al'Thor is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: April 16, 2005
Posts: 2,335
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Calvinism

i dont like to say this about religious groups, but i can't stand calvinsists. i've been debating a calvinist kid on another website because i came across his rants about catholics and have been trying to set him straight. he is convinced that basically only calvinists and a few select others from different protestant denominations are going to heaven. he stated that anywhere from 86% - 92% of the world is going to hell.
now not only this, but they believe that everyone is predestined to go either to heaven or hell before they were born. there is no such thing as free will. the thing that kills me is that the biggest sign you're one of the saved is if you're a calvinist...real convenient for them.
i have explained that what he has said about catholicism is wrong and i have explained what it is we really believe but he tells me that i am wrong; we dont believe the way i say we do. all he does is quote the bible and claim it's the only book ever written that we can be 100% sure is 100% accurate.
oh, and when the pope died and someone made a thread about him and what a good man he was, this calvinist comes in and says he went to hell. unbelievable.

how do you get these people to see the truth???
__________________
XP IHS

Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis.
Sancte Michael Archangele, ora pro nobis.
Moses et Elias, ora pro nobis.

In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritvs Sancti. Amen.
  #2  
Old Apr 18, '05, 3:51 pm
Seeks God Seeks God is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: April 13, 2005
Posts: 434
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Calvinism

I would focus not on getting him to accept the truth, but rather show him how his arguments against Catholicism are false. Remember, Truth comes from God, not from us...
  #3  
Old Apr 18, '05, 3:51 pm
yochumjy yochumjy is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: May 19, 2004
Posts: 1,045
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Calvinism

You can't make them see reason. Reason can only come through the action of the Holy Spirit. You don't have to just relent and not try, but realize that it won't be through your own actions.

And, Rand, are your stories ever going to get back on track and be as good as "Eye of the World"?

John
  #4  
Old Apr 18, '05, 4:09 pm
Rand Al'Thor Rand Al'Thor is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: April 16, 2005
Posts: 2,335
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Calvinism

i meant the truth about catholicism.

and i'm hoping my next book will be back on track, lol.
__________________
XP IHS

Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis.
Sancte Michael Archangele, ora pro nobis.
Moses et Elias, ora pro nobis.

In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritvs Sancti. Amen.
  #5  
Old Apr 18, '05, 4:16 pm
yochumjy yochumjy is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: May 19, 2004
Posts: 1,045
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Calvinism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand Al'Thor
i meant the truth about catholicism.

and i'm hoping my next book will be back on track, lol.
Actually, the truth about Catholocism/reason/wisdom are related in my little internal thought process.

I hear the next book should be out in October, I usually wait for it to come out in the Science Fiction Book Club though....

John
  #6  
Old Apr 18, '05, 7:40 pm
Kevan Kevan is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: June 7, 2004
Posts: 546
Religion: Puttin' the fun in Fundamentalism
Default Re: Calvinism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand Al'Thor
he stated that anywhere from 86% - 92% of the world is going to hell.
Most Calvinists wouldn't put the figure higher than 89%. He must have been in a bad mood.

I usually tell them that God predestined me not to believe in Calvinism.
__________________
Kevan C. Barley
FLOW: a plumber's weblog
http://www.BarleyServices.biz/wordpress
  #7  
Old Apr 18, '05, 7:51 pm
Rand Al'Thor Rand Al'Thor is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: April 16, 2005
Posts: 2,335
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Calvinism

this guy even told me that ted bundy was a testiment to God's glory when i asked what the point would be of creating someone for the sole purpose of breaking His commandments and at the same time telling us to follow them in the bible.
and just now, after telling me numerous times that the catholic church broke away from the teachings of the church fathers (ie, true christianity) and i posted some bible verses and commentary by the church fathers from this site, he tells me that he "only goes by some of what the fathers say".
the funniest thing is that he started a rant about gay people and how God hates them, quotes a verse, i point out that nowhere does the word "hate" or even "dislike" appear in it, and says "well, that's what it means". i guess you only take literally what works for your argument at the time after saying that everything in the bible should be taken literally...
__________________
XP IHS

Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis.
Sancte Michael Archangele, ora pro nobis.
Moses et Elias, ora pro nobis.

In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritvs Sancti. Amen.
  #8  
Old Apr 25, '05, 6:02 pm
sonseeker sonseeker is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: April 25, 2005
Posts: 286
Default Re: Calvinism

Not trying to offend, but Scripture does teach predestination. Rom 8:29-30; Eph 1. I'll leave the free will part alone.
  #9  
Old Apr 25, '05, 9:48 pm
ephphatha ephphatha is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: April 8, 2005
Posts: 55
Religion: protestant, reformed, calvinist, etc.
Default Re: Calvinism

As a Calvinist, all I can say is "This kid does not represent me."

I have no idea what the percentage is of people who will be saved. I can only say that it is less than 50%, because of what Jesus said about the wide gate and the narrow gate.

I don't think you have to be a Calvinist to be saved either.

I consider myself quite open to reason. It was reason that caused me to be a calvinist in the first place. I've been a Christian most of my life, and I've believed in free will and all that this whole time. I decided a while back that I needed to inform myself about the whole Calvinism debate, and I read some Calvinist literature with the idea that I was going to figure out how to refute it, but in the process, I ended up making the switch. After making the switch, I still believed in free will with respect to everything except whether we accept or reject Jesus. Jonathan Edward's book on The Freedom of the Will had a lot to do with me becoming a compatibalists. I found his arguments to be persuasive. Some compatibalists still use the term "free will" but they mean it in a different sense than libertarians.

Maybe the reasoning was all faulty, and I'm just not very smart, but it was reason that brought me to the Calvinist point of view. I was pursuaded by the arguments.

I haven't really looked into Catholicism enough to say that I've really given it a fair hearing.

Sam
__________________
Matthew 7:18 "A good tree cannot produce bad fruit, nor can a bad tree produce good fruit."
  #10  
Old Apr 26, '05, 4:53 am
FrRobSST FrRobSST is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: March 30, 2005
Posts: 178
Religion: Primitive Catholic
Send a message via AIM to FrRobSST Send a message via Yahoo to FrRobSST
Default Re: Calvinism

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonseeker
Not trying to offend, but Scripture does teach predestination. Rom 8:29-30; Eph 1. I'll leave the free will part alone.
The problem is that Scripture also clearly teaches free will. We have verses scattered all over the place talking about works and tying them into justification, and not just in the so-called 'straw epistle' of James.

The problem, IMO, with Calvinisim is twofold:

1) It is far too reliant upon human logic to attempt to explain the infinite mystery of God. One takes a couple of verses in the Scripture and builds an entire theology around them, in spite of other verses that at least give one a reason to call them into question. Instead of doing what we should do (chalk it up to a Mystery), we try to explain it with our human logic... and we wind up calling one another heretics over the issue.

2) God repeatedly says in Scripture that he wills that ALL would come to repentance and knowledge of his Son, and thus Salvation. He does not limit that desire, and it is indeed God's earnest desire that the Gospel would reach all places. Calvinisim falls apart because if it's inconsistent arguments. First, regular calvinisim states, as I understand it, that while God positively elects those who are predestined for eternal life, he never positively elects those who are damned (that is a feature of hypercalvinisim). My question to single-predestinarians is, "What is the real difference?" Through his inaction, God has condemned them to eternal death. It's no different than God just chalking up a list and tossing it into the pit... wether through inaction or through specific determination, anyone who is not predestined for salvation is, by default, predestined for damnation. To me, it is intellectual dishonesty to argue otherwise (though I know that several hypercalvinists I speak with would love to challenge me on this issue), and to claim that such is the way that a merciful God works... hrm... I can't buy into that.

In the end, the mystery of the working of our salvation is a mystery of our faith that we will never understand. Free will is involved... obedience is involved... and yet grace and faith are involved as well... as is some element of predestination.

We cannot understand it for, "my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are my ways your ways, says the Lord."

Rob+
__________________
Fr. Rob Lyons, SST
Primitive Catholic Presbyter - Not in Communion with Rome
Apostolic Succession + Eucharist = True Particular Church (Ratzinger/Benedict XVI - Dominus Iesus, Par. 17)
  #11  
Old Apr 26, '05, 4:55 am
Psalm45:9 Psalm45:9 is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: June 3, 2004
Posts: 1,681
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Calvinism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand Al'Thor
i dont like to say this about religious groups, but i can't stand calvinsists. i've been debating a calvinist kid on another website because i came across his rants about catholics and have been trying to set him straight. he is convinced that basically only calvinists and a few select others from different protestant denominations are going to heaven. he stated that anywhere from 86% - 92% of the world is going to hell.
now not only this, but they believe that everyone is predestined to go either to heaven or hell before they were born. there is no such thing as free will. the thing that kills me is that the biggest sign you're one of the saved is if you're a calvinist...real convenient for them.
i have explained that what he has said about catholicism is wrong and i have explained what it is we really believe but he tells me that i am wrong; we dont believe the way i say we do. all he does is quote the bible and claim it's the only book ever written that we can be 100% sure is 100% accurate.
oh, and when the pope died and someone made a thread about him and what a good man he was, this calvinist comes in and says he went to hell. unbelievable.

how do you get these people to see the truth???
Calvanism in itself seems to be dieing off as well as their counterpart, Presbyterianism.
__________________
NEMO ME IMPVNE LACESSIT
  #12  
Old Apr 26, '05, 4:58 am
surfinpure surfinpure is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: April 2, 2005
Posts: 2,523
Religion: Catholic
Send a message via AIM to surfinpure
Default Re: Calvinism

Quote:
Originally Posted by yochumjy
You can't make them see reason. Reason can only come through the action of the Holy Spirit. You don't have to just relent and not try, but realize that it won't be through your own actions.
Best of luck -- I used to be a die-hard Calvinist myself and I know I gave those who disagreed with me a pretty hard time over it. Never "did any battle" with Catholics, but I wish now that I had -- maybe they would have set me straight. I feel lucky that I reserved judgment on the RCC until actually taking an RCIA class and learning in-depth, it almost felt like de-toxification getting all of that bad doctrine and anti-Catholic bias out of my spirit.

Michael
__________________
IF I FIND IN MYSELF A DESIRE THAT NOTHING IN THIS WORLD CAN SATISFY,
THE MOST PROBABLE EXPLANATION IS THAT
I WAS MADE FOR ANOTHER WORLD.
~C.S. LEWIS
  #13  
Old Apr 26, '05, 5:05 am
psychemusic psychemusic is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: April 8, 2005
Posts: 60
Religion: Catholic
Default Re: Calvinism

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfinpure
Best of luck -- I used to be a die-hard Calvinist myself and I know I gave those who disagreed with me a pretty hard time over it. Never "did any battle" with Catholics, but I wish now that I had -- maybe they would have set me straight. I feel lucky that I reserved judgment on the RCC until actually taking an RCIA class and learning in-depth, it almost felt like de-toxification getting all of that bad doctrine and anti-Catholic bias out of my spirit.

Michael
SORRY! I accidentally posted this under my wife's login. Many apologies . . .

Michael
  #14  
Old Apr 26, '05, 6:44 am
ephphatha ephphatha is offline
New Member
 
Join Date: April 8, 2005
Posts: 55
Religion: protestant, reformed, calvinist, etc.
Default Re: Calvinism

Rob,

I'm having a bit of trouble understanding your post. That could be because I'm trying to see it all logically or something. First, you say that Calvinism relies to heavily on human logic. I'm not sure what you mean by "human logic." Are there different kinds of logic? How do you understand anything at all without logic? Does logic not apply to God?

Second you accuse Calvinists of being inconsistent. By that, I'm guessing you mean that some things they say contradict other things they say. If so, then they aren't really being logical at all, are they? Why, then, do you accuse them of using "human logic"? By "human logic" do you mean some kind of logic that doesn't include the law of non-contradiction?

You suggest that instead of trying to use human logic to figure out what the Bible means, we should chalk it up to "mystery." When you say "mystery," do you mean the same thing as "contradiction"? Or are you saying there's some things in the Bible that God never intended us to understand?

If human logic does not apply to the Bible, then does it really matter if there are any contradictions in it? I mean in ordinary logic, contradiction indicates error, but if we are not to apply logic to the Bible, then that would seem to imply that it doesn't matter if the Bible contradicts itself. But there I go again using human logic.

Sam
__________________
Matthew 7:18 "A good tree cannot produce bad fruit, nor can a bad tree produce good fruit."
  #15  
Old Apr 26, '05, 9:36 am
Rand Al'Thor Rand Al'Thor is offline
Regular Member
 
Join Date: April 16, 2005
Posts: 2,335
Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Calvinism

the thing that always gets me is when people repeatedly say something like: "well, it says this in the bible, clearly it means ___". i point out to them that they are reading it in english, a language the bible was never meant to be read in, as that language didnt exist for about 1500 years after the bible was written.
greek is a difficult language to translate, and though i dont speak any myself, people who do have told me this. there are a number of words in greek that have no translation into other languages. i have two copies of the Iliad by two different translators, and they are both different. the overall story is the same, and the scenes happen the same way, but the words used to describe them are at times very different.
then people say "well, that's the iliad, and the bible is God's word." yes, God's word as translated by humans with error. that is the main reason you can't take the bible literally. because of the translation issue (and let's just remember that the bible wasnt translated into english until about 1535) what is perfectly clear in saying one thing may be perfectly clear in saying something else. that is the big problem luther and the reformers in england ran into.
__________________
XP IHS

Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis.
Sancte Michael Archangele, ora pro nobis.
Moses et Elias, ora pro nobis.

In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritvs Sancti. Amen.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search Thread
Search Thread:

Advanced Search
Display

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump




Prayer Intentions

Most Active Groups
6607CAF Prayer Warriors Support Group
Last by: tawny
6151Let's empty Purgatory
Last by: hazcompat
5167Petitions Before the Blessed Sacrament
Last by: grateful_child
4629Devotion to the Sorrowful Mother
Last by: DesertSister62
4291Poems and Reflections
Last by: Purgatory Pete
4055OCD/Scrupulosity Group
Last by: Fischli
3290For seniors and shut- ins
Last by: GLam8833
3261Catholic Vegetarians & Vegans
Last by: Herculees
2824Let's Empty Purgatory 2
Last by: TheCrabNebula
2448SOLITUDE
Last by: beth40n2



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:26 pm.

Home RSS Feeds - Home - Archive - Top

Copyright © 2004-2014, Catholic Answers.