Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life > Parenting

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Old Nov 7, '10, 12:27 pm

Religion: Catholic
Default Is a protestant private school better than public school? Opinions wanted

This is far off, as I'm only pregnant with our 1st right now, but we live in a small city of 20,000 and aside from our 4-5 public schools, we have 1 private Christian school, no specific denomination as far as I know but it's home to a 'free Evangelical' Church". We don't have the resources to home-school and I would need to go back to work if I even want to dream of having more kids so I was wondering what your thoughts are on this.
Thanks
Old Nov 7, '10, 12:49 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic
Default Re: Is a protestant private school better than public school? Opinions wanted

It depends on whether they are tolerant of your faith. Some Protestant denominations think we Catholics are pagans and they try to convert us. It would be really bad if they destroyed the training you are instilling in your children.

Wait, you say you don't have the resources to home school but you are considering a private school? Home schooling costs WAY less than private school, and you have full control over what your kids learn. There are economical and good curricula out there for every level child.

If I could go back and do it again, I would definitely teach my kids at home. Once they can add, subtract, multiply and divide, and read well, I even have a curriculum that is done entirely by the child, including checking their math answers and working out problems themselves.

You don't know where you might be in 5 years but please don't dismiss home schooling without even exploring the possibility!
Old Nov 7, '10, 1:54 pm

Default Re: Is a protestant private school better than public school? Opinions wanted

I would pass on any protestant school for my child. Are the public schools that bad in your area? Maybe you could combine home schooling resources with other like minded parents?
Old Nov 7, '10, 1:56 pm
Banned

When my son and his family moved to an area not serviced by a Catholic school, they enrolled their two children in a non-denominational Christian school that is ranked among the top schools scholastically in this entire metropolitan area.

The quality of my grandkids' education and teachers is triple than that which they were receiving before, the morale of the school and teachers is far higher, and the kids LOVE the school -- which represents a different attitude than their earlier years.

I was nervous about this decision at first as I'm not crazy about the protestant evangelical approach to Christianity, and the kids are Catholic -- but they've been treated with complete respect so far, AND they've learned a great deal about the Bible. I haven't seen anything yet that I could argue against.

One very real problem with their former school was the local pastor from Africa who barely spoke English, yet would give 45-minute homilies at every school Mass I attended. The students -- even the older ones -- tuned out after about 20 minutes, and understandably so. My grandkids really dreaded weekly school Mass and I'm sure got little from it -- they actually LIKE "chapel" now -- which to me is a sad commentary. (I personally couldn't understand one word of the homily or the Mass.)

I'd prefer that the kids were getting this same level of education in a Catholic environment, but so far it's been shown to be far superior to their former school.
Old Nov 7, '10, 3:50 pm

Isn't part of the mission of any religious school to teach children the faith of the school? My choices would have to be very dire before I'd put my kids in a protestant school, because of the risk of the kids being evangelized away from Catholicism. Even if they were extremely strong academically, and even if they were encouraging of good values. Unless the school is actually "christian in name only" and doesn't actually teach religion with any conviction. We've all heard of those Catholic schools who don't really teach the faith, so is it possible that there are similar protestant schools?

If there was absolutely no way I could homeschool, I would choose public school.
Old Nov 7, '10, 4:27 pm

Finding resources to home school are all over the internet and don't have to be expensive. I'm not sure I understand that rationale.

I send my kid to public school over a non-denomnational. Having being raised Baptist - they don't hold back their views on Catholicism. They blantantly push your child getting "saved" and other things that aggravate me. (ahem).

Public school can be more of an issue of safety depending upon where you live. But, if that's the only private school around then most of the good families will still be in the public school in your area.
Old Nov 7, '10, 4:35 pm
Veteran Member
Prayer Warrior

It depends on many factors. A private school doesn't automatically mean better academics. It often does, but not always. Some public schools are better than other public schools, and sometimes public schools are even better than private schools.

My oldest and second child attended a private Christian school. In the younger grades, they usually stick to the basics where they mostly agree with the Catholic church. (Jesus loves me. Stories from the Old Testament and the New Testament. The Trinity, Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Christmas and Easter, etc.) Eventually the differences show. Sometimes there's an obvious anti-Catholic bias--that's often found in some of the popular textbooks used at Christian schools. We found some of that, but in general it was a positive experience for the younger grades. By middle school the school moved beyond just the very basics of the Christian faith to clearly teaching Protestantism.

We stopped sending our children to protestant private schools after we moved into a supposedly really good public school district. My children attended public schools for a couple of years. We homeschool and use a Catholic school now. I did not care for our local public school district at all.

If we could not homeschool or send our children to Catholic schools, I would probably choose a Protestant school similar to where our children went previously over our public school, but I would have serious concerns about doing that.
Old Nov 7, '10, 4:41 pm

I'd be very, very leary of sending my child to a private Christian school at any age, especially before they had received the sacrament of confirmation and had been well educated in the Catholic faith. One of my good friends sent her oldest, age 15, to a Christian high school because there isn't a local Catholic high school in the area and she has had to defend the Catholic faith on numerous occasions. Her soccer team prayed for her soul and hers alone because it is the mission of their denomination to "save Catholics". The only way I would send my daughter to a protestant private school was if it was the very, very, very last option and that would be after I looked into if it was feasible to move into a better public school system if the public schools were bad.

We don't go to other denominations for Sunday mass because there might not be a Catholic church in the area, choosing not to send your child to a protestant school shouldn't be any different.
Old Nov 7, '10, 5:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by x0stephanie View Post
...I would need to go back to work if I even want to dream of having more kids so I was wondering what your thoughts are on this.
Thanks
Consider how expensive private school will be for multiple kids. It could add up to the price of the second income. Homeschooling, OTOH, can be very inexpensive. I know this is not always an option, but if I were in your predicament, if I were faced with the reality of having to go back to work in the future, my dh and I would do everything possible to enable one of us to stay home with the kids. Things I would try:

-dh looking for a higher paying job, or even a second job
-dh getting further education (training/certification/apprenticeship/degrees) that would qualify him for higher paying jobs
-relocate to a new, lower cost of living area
-if I could be more "marketable"/able to make more than dh, then I'd have him stay home. I would also consider finding a job that didn't require me to sacrifice my time at home. Personally, I do NOT like child-care, but it certainly is one way to make some money and still be with your kids. If it was either that or work outside the home, I would do it.

All of these things might require great sacrifice, but the cause would be well worth it. You may not be able to do these things right away, but you've got 5 years before you have to worry about what school your child goes to. If you set a goal, you might just be able to set yourself up to be able to stay home by the time the baby is school age.
Old Nov 7, '10, 5:29 pm

Send a message via Yahoo to shannyk

It depends entirely on YOUR public schools compared to this evangelical school. You have to do the leg work. I know that every political pundit on TV and radio these days will tell you that every single public school in the nation is a hell pit, but it's not the case everywhere. It varies by state and by city greatly. So, just check it out thoroughly.

I have to say I'd be very hard pressed to send my kids to an Evangelical school no matter what though. I'd rather my kids go to a public school where they aren't taught anything about the faith and I am left to teach them as the parent, than having them constantly confused by when they are being taught by evangelicals. In a public school, the child's faith can be defended at least.

I am not my own; I have given myself to Jesus. He must be my only love." Bl Kateri Tekawitha

Old Nov 7, '10, 5:33 pm

Religion: Catholic Revert married to Catholic Convert

Did you mean to type in "Evangelical Free Church"? There is one not too far from me and I hesitate to give an opinion, because I just know the views of one family who attends.

Below is the EFCA statement of faith...Item 7 ("the Church") is where you might see the most differences between their beliefs and yours.

http://www.efca.org/about-efca/statement-faith
Old Nov 7, '10, 5:37 pm
Forum Elder

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannyk View Post
I have to say I'd be very hard pressed to send my kids to an Evangelical school no matter what though. I'd rather my kids go to a public school where they aren't taught anything about the faith and I am left to teach them as the parent, than having them constantly confused by when they are being taught by evangelicals. In a public school, the child's faith can be defended at least.
I have to agree with this - public schools won't try to teach your child anything at all about religion, but the evangelical school will teach at least some incorrect information - how much do you want to teach at home? Do you want to be spending a lot of time unteaching your child the incorrect information, and arguing about various things, or would you rather just start with a clean slate and have you and the people at your parish being the ones to teach your child about God?

Tiber Swim Team - Class of 2001
Old Nov 7, '10, 5:41 pm

I'm the 53-year old mom of two grown daughters.

I think you're getting way ahead of yourself here. Right now, your concern should be staying healthy and strong and at peace for the duration of your pregnancy, preparing for a delivery which will probably be nothing at all like what you planned (e.g., if you lived in our city, you would statistically have a 1 out of 4 chance of having a C-section), recovering from your delivery, and taking care of a newborn at the same time that you are taking care of yourself and your husband.

You have a lot decisions to make about your newborn; e.g., breastfeeding vs. formula various medical decisions (e.g. vaccinations, circumcision if it's a boy, etc.), sleeping arrangements, stay-at-home or return to workplace, daycare arrangements, sharing childcare responsibilities with your husband and family, child-rearing "philosophy" (e.g., strict vs. lenient, etc.) etc. Chances are good that all your decisions will be topsy-turvy within a few weeks, as babies have a funny way of changing all of our best-laid plans!

I would suggest not worrying about the school issue for a few years. Concentrate on your child's babyhood for now and don't miss a minute of it. It all goes so fast. Have fun and don't rush the future.

It's difficult to say at this point what the public schools in your town will be like when your child is ready for school. Everything could change drastically in five years. Just make sure over the next few years to stay well-informed on the school situation in your city (read your local newpapers and watch or listen to the local news). Make sure to keep in contact with your friends and ask, ask, ASK them about their children and their school situations. Although all of us online can share our experiences and opinions, we do not live in your city. You need to ask the people who actually live where you live what the best options are.

Best wishes to you!
Old Nov 7, '10, 5:42 pm
Banned

Religion: Catholic, former Baptist

Sending your child to a protestant school would be just fine as long as you wouldn't be upset if he or she came home one day and announced they are now a baptist and that the Catholic Church is evil and wrong about everything. If, however, you want to raise your child in the Catholic faith, I would pass on a protestant school. I was an evangelical for many years and I can tell you right now they are going to try their hardest to pull your child away from Catholicism because they don't consider it Christian in the slightest. They think it is borderline pagan and is a straight-way ticket to Hell.
Old Nov 7, '10, 11:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealJuliane View Post
It depends on whether they are tolerant of your faith. Some Protestant denominations think we Catholics are pagans and they try to convert us. It would be really bad if they destroyed the training you are instilling in your children.

Wait, you say you don't have the resources to home school but you are considering a private school? Home schooling costs WAY less than private school, and you have full control over what your kids learn. There are economical and good curricula out there for every level child.

If I could go back and do it again, I would definitely teach my kids at home. Once they can add, subtract, multiply and divide, and read well, I even have a curriculum that is done entirely by the child, including checking their math answers and working out problems themselves.

You don't know where you might be in 5 years but please don't dismiss home schooling without even exploring the possibility!
It only costs a couple hundred dollars per semester, it's not that expensive at all.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Catholic Living > Family Life > Parenting