Latest Threads
newest posts

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions

Welcome to Catholic Answers Forums, the largest Catholic Community on the Web.

Here you can join over 400,000 members from around the world discussing all things Catholic. Membership is open to all, Catholic and non-Catholic alike, who seek the Truth with Charity.

To gain full access, you must register for a FREE account. Registered members are able to:
  • Submit questions about the faith to experts from Catholic Answers
  • Participate in all forum discussions
  • Communicate privately with Catholics from around the world
  • Plus join a prayer group, read with the Book Club, and much more.
Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. So join our community today!

Have a question about registration or your account log-in? Just contact our Support Hotline.

Closed Thread

Old Apr 20, '05, 1:30 pm
Banned

Religion: Church of Christ
Default The Pope?

Where do I begin? How can anyone who reads the Bible (Gods inspired word) come up with the Pope? Does the New Testament sound familiar?
Old Apr 20, '05, 1:48 pm
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic via Canterbury
Default Re: The Pope?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ml1957
Where do I begin? How can anyone who reads the Bible (Gods inspired word) come up with the Pope? Does the New Testament sound familiar?
We might respond good-naturedly: How can anyone who reads the Bible not come up with the Pope? But please note that the word "Pope" comes later. It is an affectionate term for "father" because the Church is a family. Although the word comes later, the central place of Peter among the Apostles is solidly scriptural.

Start here: http://www.catholic.com/library/church_papacy.asp

The relevant Scriptures are Mt. 16:13-19

Quote:
Now when Jesus came into the district of Caesare'a Philip'pi, he asked his disciples, "Who do men say that the Son of man is?" And they said, "Some say John the Baptist, others say Eli'jah, and others Jeremiah or one of the prophets." He said to them, "But who do you say that I am?" Simon Peter replied, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God." And Jesus answered him, "Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jona! For flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but my Father who is in heaven. And I tell you, you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the powers of death shall not prevail against it. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven, and whatever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven."
Luke 21:31-32
Quote:
"Simon, Simon, behold, Satan demanded to have you [Greek: you all], that he might sift you like wheat, but I have prayed for you [Greek: you singular = Simon] that your faith may not fail; and when you have turned again, strengthen your brethren."
John 21:15-19
Quote:
When they had finished breakfast, Jesus said to Simon Peter, "Simon, son of John, do you love me more than these?" He said to him, "Yes, Lord; you know that I love you." He said to him, "Feed my lambs." A second time he said to him, "Simon, son of John, do you love me?" He said to him, "Yes, Lord; you know that I love you." He said to him, "Tend my sheep." He said to him the third time, "Simon, son of John, do you love me?" Peter was grieved because he said to him the third time, "Do you love me?" And he said to him, "Lord, you know everything; you know that I love you." Jesus said to him, "Feed my sheep. Truly, truly, I say to you, when you were young, you girded yourself and walked where you would; but when you are old, you will stretch out your hands, and another will gird you and carry you where you do not wish to go." (This he said to show by what death he was to glorify God.) And after this he said to him, "Follow me."
For the authority to pass the Apostolic commission down to successors:

Acts 1:15-26
Quote:
In those days Peter stood up among the brethren (the company of persons was in all about a hundred and twenty), and said, "Brethren, the scripture had to be fulfilled, which the Holy Spirit spoke beforehand by the mouth of David, concerning Judas who was guide to those who arrested Jesus. . . . For it is written in the book of Psalms, `Let his habitation become desolate, and let there be no one to live in it'; and `His office let another take.' So one of the men who have accompanied us during all the time that the Lord Jesus went in and out among us, beginning from the baptism of John until the day when he was taken up from us -- one of these men must become with us a witness to his resurrection." And they put forward two, Joseph called Barsab'bas, who was surnamed Justus, and Matthi'as. And they prayed and said, "Lord, who knowest the hearts of all men, show which one of these two thou hast chosen to take the place in this ministry and apostleship from which Judas turned aside, to go to his own place." And they cast lots for them, and the lot fell on Matthi'as; and he was enrolled with the eleven apostles.
Old Apr 20, '05, 1:49 pm

Religion: Catholic

How can you read the New Testament and NOT see the concept of the Pope in the leadership of Peter? The word pope comes from a Latin term meaning "papa". The pope is our spiritual father. He is the head of the earthly flock and the representative of Christ - Christ's prime minister.
Old Apr 20, '05, 1:53 pm
Veteran Member

Quote:
You're right, the guy who came up with the pope didn't read the Bible. The New Testament wasn't written until after He died...and rose again.
Old Apr 20, '05, 1:54 pm

Send a message via AIM to Lisa4Catholics

Where do I start as a former protestant have you ever heard of tact?Perhaps manners,you know the approach is everything
Old Apr 20, '05, 1:56 pm
Banned

There is only one Father,and he is the head of the Church.

We have no papa on earth. We do not need a papa on earth.
Old Apr 20, '05, 1:57 pm
Veteran Member

Quote:

Then why did Jesus tell Peter to feed His sheep? Why did Jesus give Him the keys to the kingdom?
Old Apr 20, '05, 2:00 pm
Banned

I understand tact,and I mean no disrespect.

Religion: Catholic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:

So what do you do you call your male parent? or his male parent?

Yes, Jesus is the Head of our Church. But he left Peter in charge here on Earth because we needed someone here to lead us as well. The pope does not replace The Father, the Son or the Holy Spirit.

RCIA Class of 2005

Quote:

Actually, I thought Christ was the head of the Church and that Christ is our only intercessor to the Father. (intercessors to Christ, not withstanding)

Christ, being perfect, gave the keys of the Kingdom to Peter, who handed them down in a like manner.

John

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis315
Then why did Jesus tell Peter to feed His sheep? Why did Jesus give Him the keys to the kingdom?
and, why did Jesus call Peter "The Rock" on which he was building his church? why did Jesus tell Peter "whatsoever you bind on earth shall be bound in Heaven, and whatsoever you loose on earth shall be loosed in Heaven"? that's giving him some pretty big authority there.

Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis.
Sancte Michael Archangele, ora pro nobis.
Moses et Elias, ora pro nobis.

In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritvs Sancti. Amen.
Old Apr 20, '05, 2:02 pm

Quote:

Tell it to St.Peter and St.Paul
Old Apr 20, '05, 2:02 pm

Religion: Roman Catholic

Quote:

the catholic church is a family. i know protestants find that hard to grasp that concept because there's no such thing as a family there because there's too many different denominations for it to be a family.

Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, ora pro nobis.
Sancte Michael Archangele, ora pro nobis.
Moses et Elias, ora pro nobis.

In Nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritvs Sancti. Amen.
Old Apr 20, '05, 2:04 pm

Quote:
I understand tact,and I mean no disrespect.
Okay fair enough,the approach was a bit off,but if you sincerely want to know you came to the right place
Old Apr 20, '05, 2:04 pm
Forum Elder
Forum Supporter

Religion: Catholic via Canterbury

Quote:

I spent a lot of time crafting my post in response to your question. Did you read it? Did you look at the link I posted for you? I'm not being cranky, but your question is a common one, and if you are sincere, we have given you some good information. Your statement here, and the speed with which it has appeared, indicate that you may not to have processed any of it.

Go Back   Catholic Answers Forums > Forums > Non-Catholic Religions